View full 2016-17 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
No other real option? On the edge of 5 yard box? With only the keeper in front of him? And defender besides him that cannot block him?

Yes no other real option whatsoever :lol:
Maybe I need to rewatch it, to me it looked just behind him so I didn't really see what choice he had, it certainly didn't seem like there was a proper shooting op or a simply lay off. :confused:

Edit: rewatched, defo behind him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Yeah just checked Rooney is still ahead on 10 and Zlatan has 9, which is a strange stat when you think about it considering the vastly different minutes each has played this season.
Indeed, this whole season is strange at times. Young has barely any minutes on the pitch and the moment he shows up from nowhere already looking miles better and more ready than Darmian or Shaw ever was.

Absence of Zlatan may be even more interesting. I wonder who will step up to both assisiting and scoring.

RedMaestro

I think he tried to score. Every time somebody crosses to his feet he tries the exact same thing. If it went in everyone would say he meant it.

He's ridiculously selfish. I think he's pretty detrimental to our attack as a unit more often than not, but then he gets goals. So i don't know how to judge him really.

Would we play more fluid and get more goals as a whole without him? Maybe. It's a bit like the Van Nistelrooy situation in his final years.
How many strikers aren't selfish? Aren't they supposed to be that? Think he's different, he actually likes to pass. But he also likes to score. Actually he likes to win - goals and assists are bonuses.

Dobbs

Maybe off-topic. Don't know if I saw wrong a couple of times, but did Mkhi "avoid" passing Ibra a couple of times? A serious question, not meaning anything negative by it, just curious. Hope someone can answer my question. Thanks.
There was the missed chance from Mkhi. I noticed Zlatan complain he didn't get the pass. That's typical centre forward mentality though as there was absolutely no way Mkhi could or should have passed. Maybe sometimes that kind of thing pisses players off.

I like the character Ibra has brought but I think a problem we have is that he's so dominant. I don't think the other players dare say anything to him, which isn't the right kind of chemistry. That's not on Ibra though, a few of the others need to man up a bit.

Sylar

Given we were up against normally 9 defenders in the box, I think we would have been worse with Rashford up top today.

RedMaestro

There was the missed chance from Mkhi. I noticed Zlatan complain he didn't get the pass. That's typical centre forward mentality though as there was absolutely no way Mkhi could or should have passed. Maybe sometimes that kind of thing pisses players off.

I like the character Ibra has brought but I think a problem we have is that he's so dominant. I don't think the other players dare say anything to him, which isn't the right kind of chemistry. That's not on Ibra though, a few of the others need to man up a bit.
Maybe you're right, not sure. Saw a couple of times that Mkhi could have given the ball to Ibra when it looked like he was in better positions. Not because Ibra wanted the ball, I thought that it would have been a "better" move - but I'm no expert :)
Agree with you, but it looks to me like the players are slowly getting more self-confident and aren't as "shy" as before.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I think he tried to score. Every time somebody crosses to his feet he tries the exact same thing. If it went in everyone would say he meant it.

He's ridiculously selfish. I think he's pretty detrimental to our attack as a unit more often than not, but then he gets goals. So i don't know how to judge him really.

Would we play more fluid and get more goals as a whole without him? Maybe. It's a bit like the Van Nistelrooy situation in his final years.
Who will be our Saha this time? Not sure it would work to just replace him. We don't have prime Ronaldo and Rooney around our striker these days.

MuranoLover

Zlatan's finishing or lack of tracking players is due to his age at this point of the season - it is obvious he is tired and it is twice more obvious we don't have another option , hope we have for the next year .

Cantona_Forever

Pass or shot it doesn't matter. It ended up in goal so how it matters?
(my personal opinion is he was shooting though. :p)

He could have another goal but hitting the post instead..

But somehow seeing him not completely in sync with Mhiki and Mata was a bit painful to watch.

Festive Sandvich

I hope the scientists at the Carrington research facility took a DNA sample off one of his water bottles when he first arrived, and that Zlatan 2.0 has been fast-grown in his tank to the age of 21 in time for next season :drool: Gotta put all this money to use somehow.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
He just brings so many things to our team. He's a perfect fit with his aggressive playing style. Man united always had a catalyst out on the pitch who would put pressure on the team to perform 100% all the time. If you look at a team like Arsenal they haven't had that for a long while now, and the results is what you get. It's one thing moaning but you also have to lead by example.

Just look at some of the people we've had as captain.

Cantona: Authority, superstar, a bit verbal, aggressive and leader by example.
Keane: Typical physical and verbal player who would attack both his own players as well as opposition.
Neville: Total team player. Leader by example. Verbal towards opposition.
Vidic: Physical, less verbal - probably a language barrier but he did OK.
Evra: Leader by example. No trash talk towards own players. Limited physical involvement.
Rooney: A mood player. Sometimes he could be totally mute and at other times he's in charge. Not so influential on other team mates though. Leader by example.
Carrick: Totally mute. Leader by age authority, experience and thrust worthiness.

To me Ibrahimovic could fit almost all these qualities. Not many of these players could match the star quality of Cantona and still have the aggressiveness and flair to their game.

He should definitely be considered to be the captain. The only objection I have against him is that he can put a lot of effort into criticism towards his own players - especially during the game, which will result in a lot of opportunities being fecked up because of his moaning.

Janson

All the haters coming out in full force before the match even ended, didn't see that coming.

With @Fracture90 as the leader of the brigade.:)

shield

Yeah. I think the same too. I don't like his selfishness. Quite a few times this season, Pogba has been is a very good position to score only Zlatan just does not pass it to him. If we get a free kick then it will mostly be Zlatan taking it.

The thing is, we don't have anyone nearly as good coming off the bench. Rashford style suits us perfectly. But he is very young. I think, with Mikhi, and Mata there, a more mobile striker would suit us more than Zlatan.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong, but I felt that the Martial-Rashford combination from last year was much more exciting and looked the right way forward.

Festive Sandvich

Yeah. I think the same too. I don't like his selfishness. Quite a few times this season, Pogba has been is a very good position to score only Zlatan just does not pass it to him. If we get a free kick then it will mostly be Zlatan taking it.

The thing is, we don't have anyone nearly as good coming off the bench. Rashford style suits us perfectly. But he is very young. I think, with Mikhi, and Mata there, a more mobile striker would suit us more than Zlatan.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong, but I felt that the Martial-Rashford combination from last year was much more exciting and looked the right way forward.
Looking at the state of everyone elses goal tally and general finishing this season, quite happy for him to have a shot on goal if he gets half a chance (though even he misses the odd sitter).

Anders80

You're being ridiculous dude. No way in hell was his intention to assist, especially after he was so selfish entire game.
Actually, I think you're being ridiculous. It was an obviously intentional assist and it never looked like anything else. Zlatan didn't even turn to look at the goal afterwards, but instead turned to see if Mata received the pass.

RedMaestro

He just brings so many things to our team. He's a perfect fit with his aggressive playing style. Man united always had a catalyst out on the pitch who would put pressure on the team to perform 100% all the time. If you look at a team like Arsenal they haven't had that for a long while now, and the results is what you get. It's one thing moaning but you also have to lead by example.

Just look at some of the people we've had as captain.

Cantona: Authority, superstar, a bit verbal, aggressive and leader by example.
Keane: Typical physical and verbal player who would attack both his own players as well as opposition.
Neville: Total team player. Leader by example. Verbal towards opposition.
Vidic: Physical, less verbal - probably a language barrier but he did OK.
Evra: Leader by example. No trash talk towards own players. Limited physical involvement.
Rooney: A mood player. Sometimes he could be totally mute and at other times he's in charge. Not so influential on other team mates though. Leader by example.
Carrick: Totally mute. Leader by age authority, experience and thrust worthiness.

To me Ibrahimovic could fit almost all these qualities. Not many of these players could match the star quality of Cantona and still have the aggressiveness and flair to their game.

He should definitely be considered to be the captain. The only objection I have against him is that he can put a lot of effort into criticism towards his own players - especially during the game, which will result in a lot of opportunities being fecked up because of his moaning.
Nice post. Ibrahimovic is already seen as a captain, putting a label on it won't change that much. Think Pogba would benefit a lot from being a captain - could take more responsibility. At least a feeling I have.

I agree that he's overly critical at times. But he's the same towards himself - he wants to win all the time and takes everything "too serious", which is one of the reasons to why he's still this "hungry" for wins despite being a "pensioner". In the end it's got to do with the players and their own personalities - some don't mind and some get annoyed when they get criticism. Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.

Like I said, think this is why he's so good despite his old age - he even likes to win during training. And I really don't think he's overly critical anymore - he did it all the time some years ago and that was really annoying, not so much anymore. I actually think it's good that some players show a little "heat", since it's better than everyone just playing in a "satisfied" way never say anything. But I'd like it if someone had the guts to do the same to Ibra as well, would be good for him too, to see that he needs to be on his toes.

RedMaestro

So the next Europa League game will be against Anderlecht. Hope Ibra will have the same performance as he did when he was at PSG and scored 4 against them in one game. He had a really good goal against them:

By the way, really good to see yet another time where the stronger opponents face each other. Should almost be a must win...

Successful

Nice post. Ibrahimovic is already seen as a captain, putting a label on it won't change that much. Think Pogba would benefit a lot from being a captain - could take more responsibility. At least a feeling I have.

I agree that he's overly critical at times. But he's the same towards himself - he wants to win all the time and takes everything "too serious", which is one of the reasons to why he's still this "hungry" for wins despite being a "pensioner". In the end it's got to do with the players and their own personalities - some don't mind and some get annoyed when they get criticism. Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.

Like I said, think this is why he's so good despite his old age - he even likes to win during training. And I really don't think he's overly critical anymore - he did it all the time some years ago and that was really annoying, not so much anymore. I actually think it's good that some players show a little "heat", since it's better than everyone just playing in a "satisfied" way never say anything. But I'd like it if someone had the guts to do the same to Ibra as well, would be good for him too, to see that he needs to be on his toes.
I like that thing you wrote about him being too serious :D It shows when he won the ELC. He was celebrating it like a european cup final. He just freaking love to win.

His criticism towards players is a really good thing. I'm not sure if he's less critical these days, but he just hates people who tries to sit on top of him. And as you say, he's the same towards himself. I fear the day when he will throw in the towel because he comes to terms with his age or something stupid like that. I think a lot of his age refusal is a mental thing. He loves football and want to be the best at it. He cannot let a thing like age change that. Probably dead determined to prove everyone wrong and is over performing because of that.

He makes a lot of small gestures to show authority despite not wearing the armband. I'm thinking about these things like walking out last and keeping his distance sort of like leading a bunch of boys. I also see it when he or a team mate scores. There's always some pep talk and "well done son" paths on head and back - arms around 3-4 guys when hugging. It will work with this bunch of boys, but no way would it work with the likes of Ronaldo.

RedMaestro

I like that thing you wrote about him being too serious :D It shows when he won the ELC. He was celebrating it like a european cup final. He just freaking love to win.

His criticism towards players is a really good thing. I'm not sure if he's less critical these days, but he just hates people who tries to sit on top of him. And as you say, he's the same towards himself. I fear the day when he will throw in the towel because he comes to terms with his age or something stupid like that. I think a lot of his age refusal is a mental thing. He loves football and want to be the best at it. He cannot let a thing like age change that. Probably dead determined to prove everyone wrong and is over performing because of that.

He makes a lot of small gestures to show authority despite not wearing the armband. I'm thinking about these things like walking out last and keeping his distance sort of like leading a bunch of boys. I also see it when he or a team mate scores. There's always some pep talk and "well done son" paths on head and back - arms around 3-4 guys when hugging. It will work with this bunch of boys, but no way would it work with the likes of Ronaldo.
Agree with everything you wrote. And you're right it's a mental thing. Been so with Ibrahimovic his entire career. He's always felt that he has something to prove. Hope that he'll still feel that he has a lot to prove and will stay. His first season after leaving Barcelona and joining AC Milan was really strong. Don't know if you follow the other leagues, but Ibra seemed to have something to prove, the way he was playing for them. Not the same as watching the games but here are some highlights:

Roberto420

Who else is happy that we'll not be seeing Zlatan for the next 20 days. :):):)

Football is supposed to be simple, but some players just make it look so hard.

ZLatan made me go :mad:
Looking at the team sheet I'd be alot more comfortable with him up top tbh but horses for courses I suppose I just think today is the kind of game he usually would bag at least a goal

Last edited:

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
The best part about him staying on for at least another season is not even that we get him on the pitch. It's that he, who is clearly still fiercely ambitious, believes that we'll be good enough to challenge for honours next season.

AndyJ1985

With Lingard, Young, and Fellaini behind him I doubt Ibrahimovic would be of much use so I'm not bothered he's out.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Agree with everything you wrote. And you're right it's a mental thing. Been so with Ibrahimovic his entire career. He's always felt that he has something to prove. Hope that he'll still feel that he has a lot to prove and will stay. His first season after leaving Barcelona and joining AC Milan was really strong. Don't know if you follow the other leagues, but Ibra seemed to have something to prove, the way he was playing for them. Not the same as watching the games but here are some highlights:

He really struggles in the UCL though.

Has plenty to prove there.

Web of Bissaka

http://www.planetfootball.com/home-...assessing-achievements-incredible-goalscorer/

Career Goals Comparison of Top Strikers

C. Ronaldo and Messi are definitely freaky, deserving the titles of 'world best players'.

Zlatan didn't do that bad, and instead his stats is very constant and slowly increasing, an indication of getting better in scoring goals cumulatively.

I quite enjoy seeing the other stats, Fowler and Owen peaked very early. Ronaldo too, but he declines very slowly.

Torres, Rooney, Henry and Shearer peaked at the optimum age around 25 years old, but only the last two declines slowly.

Other than their own individual football capabilities, the teams they play with, might influences their rate of goals, such as Henry going to Barca seems to improve back his goals rate.

Successful

Just where the hell would we be without this man today? Have you ever asked yourself that question? We could be close to relegation :houllier:

kotha

I know some people think we would be this swashbuckling counter attacking side without him,that he slows us down.. But the presence in the box, the amount of headers he wins and the way he occupies the opposition center backs to create space for others is underrated..

Status
Not open for further replies.