Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If he would come on a 1 year deal - or a two deal largely structured around games played then go for it
but he is probably going to want £350k a week with a 2 year deal minimum so at least £36,000,000 in wages and I think thats a lot of money on what would be a bit of a punt at his age

I can see him going to the states and getting a bumper 3 or 4 year deal

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I disagree, the guy's a beast! he weighs like 100kgs.
Yes he is, but professional sports take a toll on athletes bodies, and there are reasons football players hang up their boots around this age. It's an individual thing, and not every one is the same, but many start to suffer from osteoarthritis (more so if a joint was injured before), and their joints can't bear to function at the level required in professional football, especially a physically demanding league like the BPL. Smaller, lighter players have a better chance at longevity actually, since the burden on their joints is less.

Hal9000

He maybe 35 next year but he's still banging them in, he's never been a striker that's relied on pace.

I'd take him, he'd still be a handful, gives us some much needed attacking heights.

PvsNP

No thanks. Ever since his injury last season, it's quite clear how much he's regressed. If LvG is aiming for a title challenge next season, we better invest elsewhere.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
His stats are still really good. 6 in 8 so far this season and 30 in 35 games last season.

izec

Ibra and van Gaal wont work, i cant see van Gaal wanting him here. Ibra does what he wants, and i could imagine thats how he wants to play for the next few years. So he will go to the MLS or Qatar.

Revan

Assumptionman
If he would come on a 1 year deal - or a two deal largely structured around games played then go for it
but he is probably going to want £350k a week with a 2 year deal minimum so at least £36,000,000 in wages and I think thats a lot of money on what would be a bit of a punt at his age

Why would he do so when he never in his career got payed near as much?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
No, thanks. We'll end up with Rooney and Zlatan up top, at the expense of Martial. One is "the captain" who believes he's at his prime and the other is Zlatan. Both will moan if they don't start. I'm afraid it's 5 years too late for that partnership.

Sigma

Would love him tbh, even if he wasn't world class, I would just love to have him as a personality at this club.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
If it's a replacement for Rooney I would probably take Zlatan's dad at the moment.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Scarecrow

Having a week off
salary 2015 $33m which is around £21m - which is actually just over £400k a week at the moment
plus $6m in endorsements on top of his wages but he currently earns more than Rooney (I don't imagine he would expect to come here on less would he?)
http://tsmplay.com/top10/highest-paid-football-players-in-the-world/ (3rd highest paid after messi and ronaldo)
Is that article supposed to be in english? Looks like a really long Youtube comment with pictures. Not saying the numbers are right or wrong but I wouldn't use it as part of my argumentation.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We won't need to match his wages due to French tax laws. That said I still don't want him.

GloryHunter07

Haven't we learnt our lesson about signing overpaid, over the hill strikers with no pace?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'd prefer Martial be the main striker.
And spend money on a pacey right winger or inside forward

Revan

Assumptionman

dead joe

I agree, he is quality, one of my all time favourites actually. He's had an amazing career so far, I loved him at Inter, and I thought Barca were crazy to let him go. I would have loved us to have him then, but he was quite the ego, and I don't think he would have got along with SAF.

I wouldn't mind if we got him on a 1 year contract, but I don't think he'd agree to that; he'll probably be looking for a longer contract to get that final paycheck.
I agree with all of that, especially the last sentence. As a matter of fact I would love for him to play here for one season. But I'd rather not sign him at all than him being a burden for 3ish years, his level dropping at the same rate as his influence in the locker room increases.

Eurotrash

Always loved Zlatan, though I've never thought of him as a "must have" player for us. If we do decide to go for him, I will of course be excited about it.

Red Stone

He might be 35, but he never relied on his pace. He's a late bloomer too, so there's no reason he can't do it at a reasonable level for another year or two. At the base of all his ability as a footballer is almost flawless technique. That in combination with his size and strength should be enough to get by in a top league even when nearing 40, if he has the desire to put the work in.

Getting rid of Rooney and having Zlatan as one of two first choice strikers in the squad would be good business. Zlatan is five times the player Rooney is right now, even if he's four years his senior.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Can't be worsethan Rooney sadly despite being 4 years older. Also wouldn't be more expensive than him.

eggwithsideburns

I wish we could have enjoyed him here years ago, some of the things he does on the filed are ridiculously good. I would want him here even for just one season.

Nanook

There's no way he would be demanding £350k a week at 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.