Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Would he sooner have a chance of winning the CL though?
PSG could be a option for that if they want to extend his deal, Anchelotti at Bayern (especially if lewandowski goes), Real for a season or two (he would certainly qualify as a galactico type signing) even Arsenal might be a more tempting option as he can play pl and cl football next season whilst the latter is certainly a doubt with ourselves
I can see him at Bayern personally as he worked well with Anchelotti at both AC and PSG - plus Bayern could do with another striker and especially if they cash in on lewandowski
Bayern and Real won't be going in for him, he is too old to be playing for an absolute top club and he is not an arsenal type player (they don't sign short term players).

buckooo1978

not for me....

this kind of short term planning and paying mammoth wages is what the club needs to avoid...

signings like Anthony Martial is the way forward and we need to add young talent to join Shaw, De Gea, Martial, Memphis, Januzaj, Periera, Varela, CBJ etc who can all form a talented hungry squad

sadly a short term free for Ibra is probably the kind of signing Woodward wants - a big name he can actually get

The red panther

princess transfer emo
not for me....

this kind of short term planning and paying mammoth wages is what the club needs to avoid...

signings like Anthony Martial is the way forward and we need to add young talent to join Shaw, De Gea, Martial, Memphis, Januzaj, Periera, Varela, CBJ etc who can all form a talented hungry squad

sadly a short term free for Ibra is probably the kind of signing Woodward wants - a big name he can actually get
If you want to actually win things you need a mixture of hungry young talent and experienced quality players. You won't win a thing with a squad full of 19 tot 21 year old players... we aren't the u21, we are the senior squad.

Getting someone like Ibra who still has massive talent and increadible experience on a free wouldn't be a bad thing as long as he is not the only player to improve the attacking options. Unlike Falcao, Ibra is not past it. If we could get someone like Lewandowski we wouldn't need Ibra, but reality is we can't get the top tier players anymore.

MDFC Manager

Would love to see him here. Think he'd pulverize the league if he settles in quickly

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
not for me....

Normally I would agree, but Zlatan is a special case.

Now I will admit I haven't seen him play a single match this season and I only watched a couple last season. So I don't know for sure that he's not 'past it'. But he's still putting up great numbers, and with his style of play I can see him continuing for quite some time if he really wants to. And if so, he is an amazing player who has proven time after time that he is capable of almost single-handedly taking his team to the next level.

Redguern

We should have done this in this transfer window - show some intent to take things up a notch and not just keep doing the same things and expect results to change...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If didn't having an ageing Rooney already I would take him but he would just prevent new talent from getting games.

Still hope he comes to the Premier League though, just not for any team in the top 6. I wonder if he would be happy at Stoke...?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Remember so many people saying he was finished before this season started.. And before last season as well. And the season before that too.

I'm confident he has another season at top level in him after this one. Maybe even 2. Hope to see him in the PL but it probably won't happen. :(

Now if we hire Mourinho..

The Stain

If didn't having an ageing Rooney already I would take him but he would just prevent new talent from getting games.

Still hope he comes to the Premier League though, just not for any team in the top 6. I wonder if he would be happy at Stoke...?
Never. He's still on a way higher level than that.

reddevilz007

Remember so many people saying he was finished before this season started.. And before last season as well. And the season before that too.

I'm confident he has another season at top level in him after this one. Maybe even 2. Hope to see him in the PL but it probably won't happen. :(

Now if we hire Mourinho..

Mourinho and Zlatan :)

Front three of Martial, Zlatan and Rooney... although Mou doesn't play with that many strikers in his starting XI

dcullivanio

Zlatan signing would seem like we were clutching at straws in some respects -as if we were simply all out in trying to get a 'world name'. That said, even though he's 34 he is still performing with ridiculous numbers. He has 20 goals in 19 league games this season. Without doubt that tally to games ratio would decrease in the PL but I'm sure it would still be good enough to be a worthwhile signing. The main problem would be accommodating both him and Rooney instead of bringing in younger/fresher talent ...specifically, resigning Martial to further time out wide and not being through the middle. Ultimately, I don't think it will happen.

Can't imagine him and Arnautovic playing in the same side. They're basically the same person only separated by a gulf in ability!

Utd7

In my opinion, he's a no brainer signing if Mourinho joins. For one he's a free agent so no transfer fee required which is a plus for a guy his age. I would give him a two year deal, pay him the wages he expects which we can easily afford. I also don't believe he's going to decline in a drastic way, he still plays at a high level at the age of 34. Yes he's in Ligue 1 where the quality and intensity isn't like the EPL, but Zlatan's game relies on his movement and using his size to bully defenders in the box. He would get us 15-20 goals easily.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Get him on a boat. Bring him from the goats.*

*I'm not racist, so I am calling the French goats.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Strange that some people think that he is too old or not good enough. One person even suggested Stoke.
Do people actually realise that he is currently playing in one of the best teams in Europe and is one of the best players in the World?
The one who happens to be one the most productive attacking players in Europe and top goal scorer in France...by far?
http://www.ligue1.com/ligue1/classementButeurs
Are we talking about the same Ibra?

There was a team goal recently which PSG scored. Ibra was doing keepey uppeys during the build up to that goal. (Check the Di Maria, thread, its in there).

Had Fergie been here, hiring him for 2 season would've been possible and productive. But right now, we are a 7th -4th place club. This is fact and not opinion.
Sadly, we are not good enough to attract that quality of player, at this point in time.

I think he will stay at PSG and win more trophies, until he is physically Rooney'd. Then he'll either retire or go to China (or similar), for a final year bumper salary.

Devil may care

Ibra coming here might be on the cards if Jose does come in, but having him and Rooney as the main strikers at their age doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Ibra coming here might be on the cards if Jose does come in, but having him and Rooney as the main strikers at their age doesn't seem like the best idea to me.
Ibra coming in for a year or two would be too good to pass on despite his age.

Hes better than Rooney and will come in useful during the 4 month period Rooney will take to regain his fitness next season

Devil may care

Ibra coming in for a year or two would be too good to pass on despite his age.

Hes better than Rooney and will come in useful during the 4 month period Rooney will take to regain his fitness next season
If he came in to replace Rooney while Martial continues his development then sure, but I don't see that happening, instead I see Ibra as the #9 with Rooney as the #10 and that wouldn't be pretty IMO, Rooney just doesn't have the game for that any more, he needs to be in the box on the end of things if we are to get any use out of him, and Ibra needs freedom as the #9 to drop deeper when he wants, not having a #10 in Rooney in those areas.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Mourinho does come in after this season, Ibrahimovic is a no brainer. Would be the perfect signing. The two of them have a very good relationship, Ibra is still up there with the best forwards in world football, and he'd be able to be a starter next season and then possibly the year after (rotating with Martial) until Martial is developed enough to become the main, first choice striker. Martial and him teaming up would be wank worthy really, even if it's Mourinho's style. Struggle to think of any striker around that is more suited to us at the moment. We all know Martial will eventually become our main striker, but for now, he's brilliant on the left and should stay there. Rooney has done really well lately, but is aging like Ibra is so who knows how long he has left, and regardless, Rooney isn't physically imposing enough to bully defences like he used to, and I can see Mourinho using him as a 10 a decent amount anyway. Ibrahimovic will be perfect for bullying defences and leading the line. Will also be the catalyst signing needed to really pull us out of the current situation. He'll probably retire in a few years, but on a free, just paying his wages, it seems like the perfect signing.

Saying that, we'd still need to sort out the right wing position where we don't have anyone who plays there as their main position. Not even really linked with anyone for that. It'll come though.

Fer

If we sign Mourinho and Ibrahimovic, I can see United playing like this:

Ibrahimovic
Martial ----- Rooney ----- New RW
Schneiderlin - Schweinsteiger
Rojo --- New CB -- Smalling --- Darmian
De Gea

AkaAkuma

If he came in to replace Rooney while Martial continues his development then sure, but I don't see that happening, instead I see Ibra as the #9 with Rooney as the #10 and that wouldn't be pretty IMO, Rooney just doesn't have the game for that any more, he needs to be in the box on the end of things if we are to get any use out of him, and Ibra needs freedom as the #9 to drop deeper when he wants, not having a #10 in Rooney in those areas.
Then they can interchange.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I agree about Rooney not being a good number 10 anymore. I don't think he's going to leave anytime soon though. Maybe Ibrahimovic and him can rotate the number 9 position while martial continues on the left for another season.

RustyS

Zlatan.

Has there ever been a player of his size with better technique and agility?

I would take him in a heartbeat. He is a joy to watch. His mental strength is incredible. A real winner.

Devil may care

I agree about Rooney not being a good number 10 anymore. I don't think he's going to leave anytime soon though. Maybe Ibrahimovic and him can rotate the number 9 position while martial continues on the left for another season.
The rotation option would be the wisest move but would either of their egos be willing to accept it?

MDFC Manager

If we sign Mourinho and Ibrahimovic, I can see United playing like this:

Ibrahimovic
Martial ----- Rooney ----- New RW
Schneiderlin - Schweinsteiger
Rojo --- New CB -- Smalling --- Darmian
De Gea

Mourinho is a Shaw fanboy. He will start.

Fer

^^^ That spine is too slow and immobile IMO.
Totally agree. The ideal would be Rooney rotating with Ibrahimovic, but I can't see LVG/Mourinho/Giggs sending Rooney to the bench.
Shaw should be the first option at LB. However, we need to wait for his return and good recovery.
I would like to see a someone like Gundogan in our midfield. Unfortunately, I think Guardiola will try to sign him (also Juventus if they sell Pogba). But there are other options like Neves.
I would like a winger like Sane/Embolo/Mahrez and a player behind the striker like Griezmann/Barkley/Dybala.
That's what I would like, but the reality could be totally different like Rooney not being dropped to the bench.

Fer

Mourinho is a Shaw fanboy. He will start.
I am a Shaw fanboy too. I just think we need to wait for him and not rush him to play. But the ideal is to see Shaw as our left back for many years. I also think that Memphis, Herrera and Schneiderlin will improve next season.

The Stain

All hypothetical but here's my view. Zlatan works best when he's allowed to drop into midfield and help build the attacks. He likes to make late runs into the box to finish off swift moves from the wings. If you've watched him play then you know he's the player all his team mates are looking for in the build-up. His vision is excellent so he acts as a playmaker as well. He's pretty much complete and i wish we could have signed him 10 years ago.

Mourinho normally plays 4-2-3-1, as we know. Then i'd prefer Zlatan as the #10 and Rooney just hang around the box. Ideally i'd want us to play 4-3-3 with Zlatan as the main man (just like at PSG).

Last edited:

izec

Would take Zlatan on a free for two years. The entertainment on and off the pitch would be amazing. Mou will somehow manage to fit him in

Bojan11

Griezmann and Martial behind Ibrahimovic is more like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.