Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
And Rashford would be happy to discover the Champions League the following season.

POF

Yeah. According to him, Zlatan won't be displaced which will mean Rashford will miss out. It's all a bit fuzzy for me. It's like Rashford's development is the new buzzword which is under extreme danger due to God knows what. On the other hand we need attacking reinforcement as well. The lad is 18 after playing 1/3rd of a season. I am sure Jose isn't stupid enough to think on the same lines.
Rashford played more than he should have last season and did so because the squad was ridiculously light in attack. Even with 2 new forwards, Rashford will get plenty of opportunities.

It would be madness to go into a season with two kids like Martial and Rashford leading the attack. You would hope the club learned its lesson from the disastrous goal return last season.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Rashford played more than he should have last season and did so because the squad was ridiculously light in attack. Even with 2 new forwards, Rashford will get plenty of opportunities.

It would be madness to go into a season with two kids like Martial and Rashford leading the attack. You would hope the club learned its lesson from the disastrous goal return last season.
Yeah, I hate it when the club repeats mistakes. Anyway, after the success of the Falcao and Schewinstiger signings I can see no reason to not sign Ibra.

Geordopolous

Not IMO, and even if that's true that'd mean selling all of our squad aside from about 4 players
I just think he's shit because that's his level not because he is out of form. Haven't seen one game to prove me otherwise. Just because he's homegrown doesn't mean we should keep him, we'd still play Blackett if that was the case

Bojan11

Yeah, I hate it when the club repeats mistakes. Anyway, after the success of the Falcao and Schewinstiger signings I can see no reason to not sign Ibra.
Yes compare two injury prone players to Ibrahimovic.

Well done Twigg.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Would be a perfect way to ruin Rashford and do what Liverpool did with Owen by playing him all the time, or what could happen with Sterling.
Fergie was amazing with younger players, he gave Ronaldo 3 weeks holiday in january 2004 in his first season at 18 and really managed him carefully. JM should do the same with Rashford.
Exactly! Despite what a number of people on here think, expecting him, or any youngster, to play 50+ games and have the brunt of the teams goal scoring needs on his shoulders is not what's best for his development.

Playing with and learning from an established player like Ibrahimovic is what will be best for him.

The lad is a huge talent and could be phenomenal in 2-3 years if managed properly.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Rooney also made 77 appearances for Everton. He had two years head start.

Rashford has done decent. But this isn't Rashford FC like I said previously. We can't just seem to think he is going to score 20-25 goals because not even the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney did that at 18. Rashford for me is not even close to those two when it comes to talent.

Van Gaal refused to sign attackers last summer because he thought Depay would do the business. We'd be foolish to do the same thing with Rashford. Also we shouldn't shoe horn him on the right wing. We need a winger also.
Couldn't agree more mate.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Is Twigginater a parody account?
He's just on the wum. He also claimed Rashford is better than Ibra which makes it too obvious.

I'd take Ibra if I knew he was a cheap option for a while. But he will send up our wage bill, limit Rashford's chances (he's already a better player than Ibra is now) and take up a space from another player who could do what he does.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If Zlatan arrives, Rashford will be a better player for us right away.

There's no argument against "No attacking player arriving in the prem for the first time aged 30+ has done well." No matter what people say the prem's quality means that he'll struggle.

podurban2

When asked about "who do you think will win the Euros?"

- If we don't win, I don't care who wins. If I don't win the scoring league, I don't care who does.

:lol:

RetroStu

There's no argument against "No attacking player arriving in the prem for the first time aged 30+ has done well." No matter what people say the prem's quality means that he'll struggle.
And there has been a lot of players under 30 that have also done shite, its means nothing.
Besides he will be here for 1, maybe 2 years, its not the end of the world if it didn't work out, and we have the 'golden boy' Rashford to step in if it does.

I honestly don't understand some people thinking. Its like saying "we don't need Messi because we have Rooney in his position".

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

Obvious wind up is obvious

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Who are the attacking players who arrived in the prem after 30 that you are comparing him too btw?

The only one I can think of is Shevchenko 10 years ago. A player who the manager didn't even want and had to be shoehorned into the side

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Which have arrived and done poorly?

Oh and Defoe came back to the PL last year and banged 15 goals in.

Hopefully Zlatan will have a Cantona type impact upon the club, bringing back the swagger and the box office style of play. The youngsters will learn so much from him, and, if he can give us one or perhaps two great seasons, he could leave a legacy behind him in the team.

SoCross

:) Humm. In the last 4 seasons, he got only one red card if my memories are good.

Referees were usually scared of him!

Haha cheers man. Wondering whether he'd be targeted by the refs here, some of the challenges he makes! But what a physical specimen :drool:

Riz

If there's a lack of thirty something strikers being transferred that also tells you a lot.

Etoo is another one. Falcao. Schwienstiger.
Wow.

One wasn't even in his thirties, one plays a completely different position, both were coming off injury hit seasons. Eto'o is the only one who is a reasonable comparison and even if was in nowhere near the best form of his life as Ibra is right now.

Not to mention they're all completed different to Ibrahimovic. I don't understand why people keep using other players failings to downplay a different player.

Man-United

Wow.

One wasn't even in his thirties, one plays a completely different position, both were coming off injury hit seasons. Eto'o is the only one who is a reasonable comparison and even if was in nowhere near the best form of his life as Ibra is right now.

Not to mention they're all completed different to Ibrahimovic. I don't understand why people keep using other players failings to downplay a different player.
Twigg had no clue about who to pick :lol: So poor examples. I think you win that one 100-0.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I love how I asked for players who arrived late in their careers who did well, get absolutely no responses apart from the question turned around on me, I give a few examples back but "they're all completely different"

Yeah no shit. Every player is different. However answers like "they were injury prone" is just silly. Of course they're injury prone. Their bodies are starting to betray them. Hence players at 30 losing a step.

If his age has got nothing to do with it, anyone fancy him being a first team player for Manchester United at the end of next season? No. Because we all know decline is inevitable at this age.

We're all complaining about a past it Rooney and RVP was public enemy number 1 last year.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I love how I asked for players who arrived late in their careers who did well, get absolutely no responses apart from the question turned around on me, I give a few examples back but "they're all completely different"
Is it just strikers? Because Cambiasso did quite well.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Yeah no shit. Every player is different. However answers like "they were injury prone" is just silly. Of course they're injury prone. Their bodies are starting to betray them. Hence players at 30 losing a step.

If his age has got nothing to do with it, anyone fancy him being a first team player for Manchester United at the end of next season? No. Because we all know decline is inevitable at this age.

We're all complaining about a past it Rooney and RVP was public enemy number 1 last year.
You said attackers over 30 and then mentioned a player under 30 and a defensive midfielder.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mane is the only one of those named players who I believe is realistic (besides possibly Zlatan on a free). The others will be in demand and Greizmann, Pogba in particular are not happening. If they were to leave their clubs, the likes of PSG, Barca, City etc would be all over them. Also, we're not selling Lingard this summer, I don't think he's good enough but he'll sick around for now.
To be fair that's only Greizmann and Pogba out the full list and I think we have a good case as anybody for attracting them. I think you are underestimating the draw of Manchester United and Jose and the big bucks that follow.

Nickosaur

Contradicting yourself mate. You are right - every player is different. And if you took a moment to consider you might recognise that Zlatan has a better chance of anyone - his condition and style of play is not affected by age as greatly as others.

There are risks with any signing but your argument is flawed.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

He'll only be on a years contract, he's coming off the back of a great season for PSG, he's not injury prone to the degree that the other players you mentioned were. He's in great physical condition, he's performed well in every league he's played in. He's on a free, and it's only a season if it doesn't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.