Álvaro Morata | Performances

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thy. I'm just happy for the guy after all this shit he got from some of the posters. He's a nice guy and a like him, we were interested and he almost became our player. Him doing good is good for PL and english football in general.
Didn't know Morata read the Caf.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's had a very good start to his Chelsea career but let's see how he does long term. With Lukaku at least I am sure he will be this good for a very long time because he is used to doing that and has adapted greater to United, with Morata he has not really been used to leading his team in the past so he will still have to perform that role for the first time over the course of season (and another few).

I don't regret getting Lukaku ahead of him. I think he is the better forward for our needs.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well yeh. What does twitter have to do with posters in here though?
This it is an exaggeration on @Ban part a bit. People have said they think Lukaku is better, but nobody has been too bad, unless it's the ones saying he was a benchwarmer and they overpaid for him. I would have been happy if we got him, we didn't, we got Lukaku and it is working out for both sides. Morata has settled in really well and it will be Real who regret losing him as Ronaldo gets older and Bezema gets rubbisher.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The answer wasnt Lukaku or Morata, but both and let Ibra leave to the US.
Obviously. I prefer Lukaku, but that was my thought at the beginning. We need two strikers at least, for a long season. I don't think we should depend on Rashford and Martial as strikers. Also Morata can play as second striker, or inside forward, so he'd get plenty of games.

ti vu

The answer wasnt Lukaku or Morata, but both and let Ibra leave to the US.
Problem is Morata wants to play as no 9 and importantly as the focal point to receive scoring chance. His skill set would means he can play the Inter Eto'o role, but he just doesn't fancy it. Otherwise, playing the traditional 2 central forwards means that the team needs somehow maintain sufficient width. We have no winger (at least good ones. Young and Valencia were wingers but had declined in the role). Until Young just got back, only had good width from the right wing and the quality of delivery has been underwhelming. Yesterday was not the first time you can feel Lukaku as lone central forward lack the supply. Imagine 2 central forwards both feeding on scrap.

I believe we did have the money for the fourth signing. However, I doubt we have more money than that to buy players to support Lukaku and Morata. Zlatan is free and worth taking the punt as we already know how he adapt to this team. Morata was so huge a gamble on our unbalanced team.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Never realised how quick he is. His pace for that 3rd goal yesterday was quite impressive, it doesn't look like he's running fast but he sure does cover the ground.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This it is an exaggeration on @Ban part a bit. People have said they think Lukaku is better, but nobody has been too bad, unless it's the ones saying he was a benchwarmer and they overpaid for him. I would have been happy if we got him, we didn't, we got Lukaku and it is working out for both sides. Morata has settled in really well and it will be Real who regret losing him as Ronaldo gets older and Bezema gets rubbisher.
Tbh, I still think that going the whole season with Morata as the only main striker is a big risk. Chelsea might be able to afford it, since they were/are champions.

But United can't gamble, at least not in the striker department. Because we're still playing catching up on establishing as top team again. Putting all our eggs to score goals on a striker who's as inexperience as Morata (as striker) would be silly.

But heyho, for some, as long as Morata's happy, that's all that matter eh?

GiddyUp

Bloody good striker but that still doesn't get away from the possibility that he will be off in a couple of seasons. I would of been happy to have him at United but Lukaku definitely seems a better fit for us and Morata for Chelsea. Good luck to the lad.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Tbh, I still think that going the whole season with Morata as the only main striker is a big risk. Chelsea might be able to afford it, since they were/are champions.
Well I wouldn't be surprised to see another striker arrive in jan now costa is oficcially off

Plus batshuai is probably better than he showed last year

ti vu

Well I wouldn't be surprised to see another striker arrive in jan now costa is oficcially off

I don't think Costa was in the plan for this season at all, so him leaving is inevitable and Chelsea wouldn't need to replace him.

AshfordLad

Batshuayi has been worse this season than he was last season.

I don't think Costa was in the plan for this season at all, so him leaving is inevitable and Chelsea wouldn't need to replace him.
Morata is Costa's replacement and I am sure the club will be looking to bring in a backup to Morata in January. That would be the least they could do to make up for fecking up the Llorente deal this summer.

ti vu

They went for llorente so I think They will be after another striker in jan
Good point, but I had a feleling it was more about knee jerk assurance at the time when Morata was not able to adapt in his first few weeks. Now it's a different story had Morata maintain his form and that Belgium forward I failed to spell his name is quite prolific when given the chance.

Ban

A lot of posters here also insult Liverpool all the time. Perhaps you would also feel happy for them if they win the league. That would also be great for PL. Also James Milner comes across as a nice guy, so you must feel happy when he scores?
Milner is a nice decent chap and I don't have anything against him.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
It's a weird one, this. I didn't really want us to sign him and I'm convinced he's not very good. But he clearly is pretty good.

Confusing :(

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Thought this was an interesting stat...

League goals for Chelsea in 2017

Diego Costa 6
Alvaro Morata 6

I love Diego for what he's done for us but that stat speaks volumes, after that whole China fiasco in January Costa basically went to shit and stopped performing to his normal high level.

Treble

I wonder why this thread is going so strong. There are way more posts in it over the last few days than i Lukaku's thread. I mean, he's a Chelsea player, move on.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Bloody good striker but that still doesn't get away from the possibility that he will be off in a couple of seasons. I would of been happy to have him at United but Lukaku definitely seems a better fit for us and Morata for Chelsea. Good luck to the lad.
In what way is Lukaku a better fit for Utd than Chelsea, and Morata a better fit for Chelsea than Utd?

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
I wonder why this thread is going so strong. There are way more posts in it over the last few days than i Lukaku's thread. I mean, he's a Chelsea player, move on.
Get off the thread then.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
The "risk" taken by Chelsea seems to be paying off. He is young and may well improve as he adapts to the premier league. The change in league doesn't seem to be having any impact on his stats and he has the best goals/minutes ratio at the moment. He seems to be quite quick, good in the air and a good finisher but the next few games will be more informative about his abilities. The City game will provide a real test.

He has yet to develop a working relationship with Hazard who hasn't been playing/starting. In the meantime Azpilequeta has been working really well with him but I expect the Hazard pairing to be the more effective.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
In what way is Lukaku a better fit for Utd than Chelsea, and Morata a better fit for Chelsea than Utd?
In the sense that a lot of Pedro/ Hazard build up play involves short intricate passing and we counter in a clinical fashion. Just feel Morata is more suited to that, I would also say we have a lot more Spanish players that Morata is comfortable with.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Mourinho has generally always played with one forward with wingers and attacking midfielders behind him, in his system his job is to be the focal point and the person to put the ball in the net, Lukaku is a pure no9 who's brilliant at finishing off chances. In Conte's 3-4-3 we more or less play with three forwards who all interchange and link up with each other, while Morata isn't as clinical as Lukaku he's much more adept at linking up play and coming deep

Reactions: Penna

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Mourinho has generally always played with one forward with wingers and attacking midfielders behind him, in his system his job is to be the focal point and the person to put the ball in the net, Lukaku is a pure no9 who's brilliant at finishing off chances. In Conte's 3-4-3 we more or less play with three forwards who all interchange and link up with each other, while Morata isn't as clinical as Lukaku he's much more adept at linking up play and coming deep
Why do you say Morata's not as clinical? Seems quite clinical to me so far, and more well rounded.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
He can be the best striker in the league as early as next season. Madrid were so dumb to let him go.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thought this was an interesting stat...

League goals for Chelsea in 2017

Diego Costa 6
Alvaro Morata 6

I love Diego for what he's done for us but that stat speaks volumes, after that whole China fiasco in January Costa basically went to shit and stopped performing to his normal high level.
And with 15 fixtures remaining in 2017, Morata could easily wind up with 20 before Jan.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Quality player, had a bit of a poor start to life in England all things considered but he's quickly bounced back for the start of the PL season and proved what a fine player he is - technically very good, good movement off the ball and link-up play, quick and surprisingly dangerous in the air.

As for the Morata v Lukaku debate, gotta laugh at the fans from both sides bemoaning they got the wrong striker (tends to be the United fans, seeing as they're a lot more of them on this forum). Both have been brilliant so far and are scoring a goal a goal, just be happy that you've got a top-class striker who's performing and scoring goals and stop worrying about the other player for the other side.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
This is good analysis and deserves a shout - Thierry Henry on Morata's 2nd goal

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He can be the best striker in the league as early as next season. Madrid were so dumb to let him go.
I really think more should be made of how stupid Madrid were to sell him. Everyone bangs on about how daft it was of Chelsea to sell us Matic, but Madrid selling Morata was an even worse sin for me.

Morata should have been displacing Benzema this year.

VanGaalEra

Quality player was always going to score goals.

Was stated in his transfer thread by a few posters that he could turn out to be Torres like and some of his goals, finishes and movement remind me of Torres.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
This is good analysis and deserves a shout - Thierry Henry on Morata's 2nd goal

Cheers, that's a good breakdown. I don't have British TV, but Henry is a really interesting pundit to listen to. I'm sure Lukaku is getting a lot out of his coaching in the NT, too.