Álvaro Morata | Performances

SteveTheRed

He's going to be a great player for Chelsea, but I'm not jealous. We have Lukaku.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Err what?
Thought he was moving to United, didn't
Chelsea's obvious second choice target
Manager came out talking about how Harry Kane would be his star striker, not the one he'd just signed
Wasn't fit
Did nothing in pre-season
Missed a penalty in the Community Shield

I wasn't saying he started the PL season off poorly as he's been very good from game 1, I meant his pre-season was poor/limited and the way in which his move came about could hardly have filled him with confidence.

Crimson King

This is good analysis and deserves a shout - Thierry Henry on Morata's 2nd goal

Really nice goal, reminded me a bit of that great goal from Ruud against Fulham all those years ago...but not as good.

I notice a lot of people bemoaning the fact we didn't sign Morata over Lukaku on this forum. I don't know why, it seemed fairly obvious Madrid were dicking about over the price, probably trying to sneak DDG into the negotiations, especially when you look at the price he went for compared to what they were supposedly asking of us.

I really wanted us to sign him too back then, as it would have been exciting to see him fulfill his potential, but was very happy we got Lukaku in the end. They both have what it takes to be top strikers in Europe, they have different strengths and weaknesses but i'd be surprised if they ended the season without a similar amount of goals.

Also, Conte wanted Lukaku ahead of Morata. I'm sure he's happy he got Morata, as are Chelsea fans, but it's still worth remembering this point.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The finish for the 2nd goal was class, and his movement is very good, but that Stoke defence was absolutely shocking.

They badly missed Zouma and Shawcross, that much was obvious. No organisation or shape in that backline at all. To be done with a ball over the top 4 minutes in is pretty poor at this standard.

Then you've got fletcher in a footrace with Morata :lol: poor guy.

Any hattrick at this level is a good achievement, but they were a far cry from when we played our draw.

Dante

Average bang
Good balance and footwork, but that's ultimately due to the fact he believes his technique on his left foot isn't good enough.

If a two-footed player had slotted it in simply with his left, nobody would have said anything. I'm hesitant to heap too much praise because it was a manoeuvre made to mask a deficiency. It was nice enough for what it was, though.

I think that analysis was more about Thierry Henry than Alvaro Morata.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Good balance and footwork, but that's ultimately due to the fact he believes his technique on his left foot isn't good enough.

If a two-footed player had slotted it in simply with his left, nobody would have said anything. I'm hesitant to heap too much praise because it was a manoeuvre made to mask a deficiency. It was nice enough for what it was, though.

It doesn't matter much when the result is what it is. Besides he's scored some goals on his left foot before, no real deficiency there.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Also, Conte wanted Lukaku ahead of Morata. I'm sure he's happy he got Morata, as are Chelsea fans, but it's still worth remembering this point.
Not quite. Conte wanted Morata, the board wanted Lukaku. That's most likely the reason we never had Lukaku wrapped up early or made a proper bid, as the club knew they were going to offload Costa about 9 months ago.

Dante

Average bang
It doesn't matter much when the result is what it is. Besides he's scored some goals on his left foot before, no real deficiency there.
I didn't say it wasn't a goal. It was. It was also nice. Just not worthy of too much praise.

Nedved

Look at the technique of this left foot hit:

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
I didn't say it wasn't a goal. It was. It was also nice. Just not worthy of too much praise.
Coming off a bit bitter with the first statement and this.

The Red Roman

Think there will always be comparisons with Lukaku because of the situation over the summer. Was thinking Lukaku was a better signing because Morata would probably need time to settle, but to be fair he has settled well and looks a good all round forward. He has good movement, links play nicely, he is good in the air and quicker than I thought. He probably has better 'footballing' brain than Lukaku, but Lukaku is so powerful and his link play is underated in my opinion. I think both are a similar level so not bothered that we ended up with Lukaku at all.

RonW

He doesn't possess the same strength as Lukaku does, but he's a very clever striker. He makes the right movements and scored the header by moving in to the front of the defender. I think he gave an interview how he wasn't able to jump against Leicester's defenders so he moved between the spaces of their CB's to score the header.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
He was amazing tonight. He never complains and brings so much to the team.
Yeah he was quality today, fought for everything and bullied there defence at times. His technical ability for someone his size is stupid, so many times his control surprised me how good it was.

His link up with hazard this year will really be something.

cyberman

@Dante
He was in a similar situation tonight and instead of using his left foot he fluffed it
Good game but that chance did validate your point imo.

el3mel

He was always a good striker and everyone who saw him before knew that and that he's ready for the step up to become a regular striker for any big club. It was the problem of those who know nothing about him except for him being a bench player and that's it.

I don't feel gutted about missing him at all. Lukaku looks like a better fit for us and what we exactly needed.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
When he was younger, especially while playing for Juventus, he used both feet regularly, but from his last season in Madrid noticed that he prefers to set mostly on the right even if it's much easier to score with his left.

It certainly isn't a big issue when he has so many qualities as a striker and scores so often but @Dante point wasn't way off the mark.

Inter Yer Nan

Such a great all-round player. I'm glad Lukaku has hit the ground running at a pace of slightly more than a goal a game because I'd be regretting us not getting this guy if not for how well he's done.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's pretty remarkable how much better his hold up play has improved over the past month and a half. During pre-season he looked lost at times with his back to goal; tonight he bossed Godin for the most part.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He is the faster Spanish Raul.
That’s actually a pretty good comparison, they’re quite alike stylistically although Morata is obviously a lot bigger.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Hamstring injury. The player himself posted on Instagram a picture of himself in training, saying he was aiming to be back for our next game. Hope we don't rush him back too soon.
Thanks bud.

I thought I read minimum of 4 weeks tbh. But that's good news. I was asking because he's in my FF team :D

D2Z

Supports
Thanks bud.

I thought I read minimum of 4 weeks tbh. But that's good news. I was asking because he's in my FF team :D
I wanted to ask for the same reason :lol:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Hamstring injury. The player himself posted on Instagram a picture of himself in training, saying he was aiming to be back for our next game. Hope we don't rush him back too soon.
I've seen conflicting reports from the Spanish national team. Here's hoping we do the sensible thing and play Batshuayi against Palace; if he can't make hay against the likes of them then there really is no hope for him.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
It appears he will only miss palace and potentially Roma, but should be fit soon which is great news!

D2Z

Supports
It appears he will only miss palace and potentially Roma, but should be fit soon which is great news!
Thats very good news. Sad to see a great strike in the EPL be out for a long period of time. It's a shame Aguero was very injury prone.
I understand Chelsea and Man City are rivals, but great players are good for the league and we need them healthy.

MadMike

He is already wanting a return to Italy? Surely his ahead ain't at Chelsea. Could be a Di Maria situation

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/chel...-left-juventus-hits/kjdthlq44za91pbde6ud4g8uo
Not really seeing it. He's saying he should have never left Juventus to return to Real Madrid. Considering that we went from basically being the main striker at Juventus to being a bench warmer at Madrid, I'd agree with his retrospective assessment. He's not saying that he wants to return to Italy now, but that'd he'd like to return one day. Nothing wrong with that. It's absolutely fine to prefer Madrid or Torino to London, especially if you're a boy from the Med, yet still be settled in London in terms of working.