Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought he was poor. His passing was poor tonight, simple passes were mishit.

Kazi

He was absolutely fine. Keep him and keep giving him minutes, he's only going to improve.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
He was the only one in the 1st half that looked remotely likely to create something. Needs to improve his strength at shielding the ball but he needs more games to do that and improve overall. Question is will he get the number of games here?

Truedevil

His position in the team is one of the reasons we were playing some eye catching, fluid football. Great performance from Adnan, hopefully he keeps his place in the team.

facund

Not a great day for him but he may be trying too hard to impress. I liked his movement and energy in the role even if his passing was a little off key, considering he has never had a run in this position before (in the 1st team) and didn't exactly get a lot of playing time last season it is understandable that he looks a little rusty and anxious. You could see what he was trying but the execution was off.

Went quiet in the second half but if he gets regular football I can see him making an impact in that role. We'll have to see how the potential Pedro deal effects the pecking order at #10.

He is lightweight and pushed off the ball too easily at times but it is a trade-off as it also allows him to float/ghost past players in an effortless manner. Once he learns to use his body a bit better it won't be such a big issue.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Need him on the wing and Mata in the middle. Once van Gaal realises this, I think this is where we will see our most dangerous plays coming from. Having extra pace on the right to join Darmian will work wonders, with Mata pulling the strings from the middle.

Boycott

Thought he had a good first half but was out of the second. Some nice tricks on show so his confidence is coming back

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's weird, he seems to play in a way where he thinks he's much faster then he actually is... And then seems completely bemused when the things he tries don't work... Because he's not as quick as he thinks he is.

criticalanalysis

^Yes it was weird, it's as if his bulk (being top heavy now) has affected his mobility a bit and/or he hasn't got match sharpness yet.

Once he finds that, I think we'll see the much more incisive Januzaj that we all love. The decision making may still take longer than that but even today he showed lovely bits of skill, ball control, body feints etc. Lovely to watch on the eye of course and depending on your view, maybe perhaps ineffective but those are signs of a really classy player. If he gets the opportunities to display those in a more fluid Utd team, who knows, he might start show more than just potential.

Please give him regular game time LVG. He is showing improvement, let's nurture it whilst his fire is still strong. Not getting playing time even for a young and mature player like him must be mentally cumbersome.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not sure if he was good or bad really. Plenty of really good moments, but then he always has inconsistent moments and needlessly mishits passes. Once he finds that consistency in his game though, he'll become a top player. Definitely looks like he has it in him to look like a top class #10 for us. He makes some very good runs and is great at dribbling past players in tight spaces, but just needs to have it all click at once basically. That will come with time.

Annahnomoss

Just watching the game now. I think Januzaj is looking very good? Making runs out wide which is perfect for Memphis/Mata who likes to cut in and he's made some pretty great plays so far. Almost set Rooney through at the first minutes of the game and it should have possibly been a goal. Just half way in so will edit it later.

Charlie Foley

I think it was him in the second half down near the tunnel, went past a defender so easily. We might have won a corner from it. Can't remember

Happy to see him get time

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Started off on fire, he had frustrating moments and he dropped his head for periods. Memphis, gave the ball away plenty of times, he didn't drop his head, just believed next time he gets the ball he would make something happen.

Confidence for you.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He needs to learn to use his increased size to his advantage better.

Also needs to improve his final ball, but that can be said for just about every forward ever that is his age.

ZDwyr

Is it possible we are playing him and putting him in the shop window until Pedro arrives? If we do get Pedro then that's another attacker he will have to compete with for a spot. Probably am wrong but just an alternative perspective.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. His decision making was poor at times. Hope Van Gaal sorts him out.

Manny

Grammar Police
I thought he was OK.

What I'm happy about is there seems to be some vision to his play. He has good ideas but he's just not quite composed enough to execute them yet. But I think that composure should come with more game time.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Positive signs, always looking to move forward with the ball which is good to see, added some pace and directness.

fatboy

Decent runs, but poor decision making let him down quite a bit. He's going to get an earful from LvG. He'll need to tighten up his game quickly if he wants to stay in the starting line-up. Or maybe it's time to give Pereira a chance.

bpet15

Feck me! A 20 year old pulling the strings for one of the biggest clubs in the world fighting to get back to their rightful place in CL.

I thought he was good - what I liked today is the when he did give the ball away it was trying to create and wasn't in a dangerous spot.

Two starts - since February - I'll take it as it only gets better from here.

Devil may care

I thought he did ok tonight, I especially liked how he was switching with Memphis in a fluid manner when we attacked. We just need to keep playing him in the role and giving him a chance to develop into it and build his confidence and experience.

caid

Thought a few of his passes were by carrick during the game.
Good person to be mistaken for?
I'm glad to see him playing, thought it was a decent performance but not great (some of them passes were very nice though)

NotQuiteManc

He's beefed up. Think he needed that. Hopefully he'll get his chances and take them.
Yes he did. Even Ronaldo needed more than just a season to become what he is now, or at least 70-90% of him now. If Janu continues this trend of working hard post season, he will become good for United, if not great.

wiz4231

Feck me! A 20 year old pulling the strings for one of the biggest clubs in the world fighting to get back to their rightful place in CL.

I thought he was good - what I liked today is the when he did give the ball away it was trying to create and wasn't in a dangerous spot.

Two starts - since February - I'll take it as it only gets better from here.
Exactly, what game were people watching. He was very good tonight, yes his decision making and passing wasn't the best at times but neither was Rooney or Memphis for example. This is a learning curve and a platform to build from, its not like hes had plenty of game time, the talents all there he just needs to put it together.

Swaters16

Januzaj really does have some serious trickery. I don't think the ability to beat defenders can be understated either. Van Gaal wanted more pace and creativity, well Januzaj is a player that can open the play up with a pass or a run on his own. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get a third straight start against Newcastle. He's still a little bit light to be a striker (point forward mid?) for me but he does have a lot of attributes for the role he's playing now

NotQuiteManc

Some lovely runs and touches, some are bad touches and passes. As what LvG said in the PC, consistency is his main issue at the moment. He has the talents, just have to make sure he produces it consistently. A run of games would definitely help the young guy, now that the team are more settled and less pressure on him as compared to Moyes' reign. With the right coaching and management, I am sure he will be fine this season.

NotQuiteManc

Januzaj really does have some serious trickery. I don't think the ability to beat defenders can be understated either. Van Gaal wanted more pace and creativity, well Januzaj is a player that can open the play up with a pass or a run on his own. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get a third straight start against Newcastle. He's still a little bit light to be a striker (point forward mid?) for me but he does have a lot of attributes for the role he's playing now
To me, he almost has a free-role playing just off the striker and not really stuck at the wings as well compared to Memphis last night. He plays better than Memphis at that position I reckon and will only grow into this role if given the chance.

Shimo

@MoneyMay - thx for the compilation. Just love watching the way he manipulates the ball at his feet. Overall a solid performance - hope he continues to get his chances.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
He does have really good touch and ball control. He just needs to improve on his passing and decision making. He showed flashes today of his brilliant control and then some inconsistent passing. He might had even scored a goal had he been a smart finisher. But all in all, he showed improvement and probably deserves a claim to start against Newcastle. The problem with these youngsters is all about consistency. Only Messi, Muller, Neymar were a few that were consistent right from beginning. If he can improve consistently and also be consistent, he can make it here. He needs to work on his finishing as well if he is to play as a number 10.

Hamadovich86

The biggest problem with this lad is his decision making he never seems to pick the right option when under pressure. He is still a kid with very little experience at the top level, I hope Giggs has a meeting with him or something to show him the type of mistakes he makes. Its all really avoidable and I think theres a lot of room for improvement in his game.

SoCross

His movement was top notch. Hope to see him start again, people need to remember that he's still 20.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I thought off the ball he was fantastic last night off the ball, running beyond Rooney, drifting into wide areas to create space. Showed flashes of his ability on the ball but then had some really sloppy moments. It's there where he really needs to improve. I do like him centrally though, I think he's better in that position than Depay was when we saw him there. Promising start to the season for him.

kidbob

What he gives us is ability to beat a player in a central area. It's natural that he'll mix the good with the bad in games but I expect to see this getting better with the more game time he is given. His main thing to work on in the 10 role is receiving/shielding the ball under pressure and knowing when to keep it simple. Both these things come with experience of the role. Also don't forget that he is surrounded by players who haven't hit top form or are still settling into the club. If/when the likes of Mata, Rooney, Schneiderlin, BFS etc get into top gear it will be much easier for him and Depay to show their worth. I hope he starts against Newcastle.

khoazany

What I like about the trio Memphis-Januzaj-Mata is their ability to interchange position, especially Januzaj who has no problem playing centrally or drifting to left or right wing or even moving up front at times when Rooney dropped deep.That would be valuable to LVG's tactics.No reason to change what is working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.