g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Adnan Januzaj image 15

Adnan Januzaj Belgium flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some good stuff and some not so good stuff. Started the game brilliantly. The pass on the turn to Rooney, beating his man on the wing etc. He will frustrate at times as he's still maturing as a footballer, but even now, he does bring a bit of class to the table. If he can coupl that with reliability over time, he'll be some player.

Also he belongs in he centre IMO.

United again!

His close control and dribble-brain is at an exceptionally high level. A few of those touches he was already engineering the touch away from the defender before the defender know he was going to press and make the challenge. I think he's a very very good instinctive dribbler. I think in a perfect world we'd get him into spaces where we just say Right Adnan, heres the ball its a 1 on 3, beat all of these guys and make something for an assist or goal. Although young, he really is an exceptional talent with the ball at his feet in my view.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What I like about the trio Memphis-Januzaj-Mata is their ability to interchange position, especially Januzaj who has no problem playing centrally or drifting to left or right wing or even moving up front at times when Rooney dropped deep.That would be valuable to LVG's tactics.No reason to change what is working.
Agreed with this, we do need to take a step back and acknowledge that we were playing an injury hit team but even so, the movement and trickery displayed in the first half in particular was very promising given our recent performances. Januzaj was at times excellent but did make a few errors which is only natural when returning to match sharpness but the signs were there that he looks like a viable first team option again. I was very impressed, looked really dangerous and caused their defense all kinds of problems.

Obiorahking_

As long as we are winning games then it would be best to keep.developing him in this role.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Potentially huge vote of confidence if it's true Van Gaal changed his mind on Pedro and decided we don't need him because of what we already have. Would indicate he has faith in him and his performances so far even if he has been inconsistent. Definitely has the talent to succeed but he's still obviously a fair bit away from the finished product. Wouldn't be the first time Van Gaal rejected bigger names to give youngsters a chance though, and it'll definitely pay off in the future (if we don't go and sign somebody else of course). Just short term it'll probably mean we won't be winning too many trophies.

Devil may care

Potentially huge vote of confidence if it's true Van Gaal changed his mind on Pedro and decided we don't need him because of what we already have. Would indicate he has faith in him and his performances so far even if he has been inconsistent. Definitely has the talent to succeed but he's still obviously a fair bit away from the finished product. Wouldn't be the first time Van Gaal rejected bigger names to give youngsters a chance though, and it'll definitely pay off in the future (if we don't go and sign somebody else of course). Just short term it'll probably mean we won't be winning too many trophies.
I don't see how Januzaj has anything to do with Pedro, Adnan is playing centrally and isn't fast, Pedro was to add pace to our wide attack on the right.

bosnian_red

I don't see how Januzaj has anything to do with Pedro, Adnan is playing centrally and isn't fast, Pedro was to add pace to our wide attack on the right.
Because Mata is the first choice player on the right, and if Pedro came then Mata would go in the middle and januzaj to the bench. The way I see it... Rooney, Memphis and Mata are pretty clear starters as they are our best attacking players. Who is the other player, whether its a right winger or #10? It's up for grabs. Januzaj, Herrera, Fellaini and Pereira will all be fighting for that spot, even Hernandez (to push Rooney deeper and him to start up top). So us getting one more starting quality player would mean that those players are all firmly back up players for the starting positions, instead of having a spot to compete to make their own in the starting 11.

Devil may care

Because Mata is the first choice player on the right, and if Pedro came then Mata would go in the middle and januzaj to the bench. The way I see it... Rooney, Memphis and Mata are pretty clear starters as they are our best attacking players. Who is the other player, whether its a right winger or #10? It's up for grabs. Januzaj, Herrera, Fellaini and Pereira will all be fighting for that spot, even Hernandez (to push Rooney deeper and him to start up top). So us getting one more starting quality player would mean that those players are all firmly back up players for the starting positions, instead of having a spot to compete to make their own in the starting 11.
The #10 role is up for grabs but I don't think LvG has any intention of using Mata there because he is so easily knocked off the ball, he's less risky playing from wide. He has played everyone but him there. Pedro would have upgraded Mata on the right and gave us pace either side of Rooney with Adnan developing as the #10.

bosnian_red

The #10 role is up for grabs but I don't think LvG has any intention of using Mata there because he is so easily knocked off the ball, he's less risky playing from wide. He has played everyone but him there. Pedro would have upgraded Mata on the right and gave us pace either side of Rooney with Adnan developing as the #10.
If we signed Pedro, we would have moved things around so Mata would stay. Mata has been excellent this season IMO and I'm always confused when I see people thinking Van Gaal will drop him eventually. He's exactly the type of player Van Gaal loves (minus the physical attributes). So smart on the ball, always gets 90%+ pass accuracy, has a huge impact in controlling games, picks out the right man very often, and can both score and create goals. He's not going to be dropped nor should he be, because he's a terrific player at his best, which I think he can be now that he has players with pace around him stretching teams more then before when he had nobody to aim at.

Green_Red

played well last night. looks to have matured a bit this year. looking for the pass a bit more. good to see. Probably Memphis' addition has helped him a bit, always good for younger players to have peers their own age to spur them on

Devil may care

If we signed Pedro, we would have moved things around so Mata would stay. Mata has been excellent this season IMO and I'm always confused when I see people thinking Van Gaal will drop him eventually. He's exactly the type of player Van Gaal loves (minus the physical attributes). So smart on the ball, always gets 90%+ pass accuracy, has a huge impact in controlling games, picks out the right man very often, and can both score and create goals. He's not going to be dropped nor should he be, because he's a terrific player at his best, which I think he can be now that he has players with pace around him stretching teams more then before when he had nobody to aim at.
Who are the players with pace he now has to aim at? Januzaj and Rooney are not fast, Memphis is the only addition we have made in this regard. I thought he'd be dropped because he's not fast enough out wide and offers zero penetration and is too weak to play centrally, he was the obvious player to upgrade in the front 4.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I think LVG has done the right thing with little Adnan. He was getting the usual media hype bullshit up until LVG slapped him with a proverbial glove. Now he knows he has to graft like the rest of em to be in the team. Well the rest apart from Wayne 'untouchable' Rooney.

bosnian_red

Who are the players with pace he now has to aim at? Januzaj and Rooney are not fast, Memphis is the only addition we have made in this regard. I thought he'd be dropped because he's not fast enough out wide and offers zero penetration and is too weak to play centrally, he was the obvious player to upgrade in the front 4.
Januzaj has decent pace, not blistering of course, but he has good movement and makes clever runs in behind which is the important thing. Rooney once he is at his best looks quicker and stronger and just better all around. I do think we need more pace in our attack, but it wouldn't be Mata dropping out that's for sure. He doesn't need to be fast for his role. He doesn't play as a proper winger but a wide playmaker like how Silva is for City essentially. I don't think he's as good or creative as Silva is, but at his best he's still a top class player and can have a similar impact.

Devil may care

Januzaj has decent pace, not blistering of course, but he has good movement and makes clever runs in behind which is the important thing. Rooney once he is at his best looks quicker and stronger and just better all around. I do think we need more pace in our attack, but it wouldn't be Mata dropping out that's for sure. He doesn't need to be fast for his role. He doesn't play as a proper winger but a wide playmaker like how Silva is for City essentially. I don't think he's as good or creative as Silva is, but at his best he's still a top class player and can have a similar impact.
Januzaj has poor acceleration like Barbatov, that is why he struggles to get away from players, they catch him easily over the first few years, he's fine once motoring but you rarely get the chance to do that if you can't get off the mark quickly. There's no point in us going round and round on this mate, you clearly rate Mata in this role and I don't so we might as well just leave it at that, as for Rooney, he's physically deteriorated, he's not going to outpace defenses.

bpet15

What I like about the trio Memphis-Januzaj-Mata is their ability to interchange position, especially Januzaj who has no problem playing centrally or drifting to left or right wing or even moving up front at times when Rooney dropped deep.That would be valuable to LVG's tactics.No reason to change what is working.
^^^^^ This - I realize the Villa game was not exactly top notch, but for the first time in recent memory I could look up and see all 4 players up top in different spots. Rooney would come deeper to get the ball, Adnan would shift to either side while Memphis and Mata would go central. This is the third game these 4 have played together - it really can only improve. Was it great football - NO - but it certainly gives a glimpse of what is to come.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I thought he played well. I really really hope Van Gaal continues to stick with him. The last thing he needs is another stop-start season. All he needs is a good run of games.

caid

So ... fair bit of trust placed in him this year it seems.
Nervous about how it'll work out but i can definitely get behind the idea, anyone who was around the summer we sold hughes, kanchelskis and ince should be.
Sink or swim time for a lot of players this year with the pedro deal off.

I think our defence and midfield are good enough to keep us in the top 4 at least but quite a bit being asked of the front 4 from last night.
How well they do as a combination will decide where in the top 4 we finish, with fellaini, young and hernandez being decent back up.

Rob Bowman

I do not get how Mata or Herrera doesn't get a start at 10. Januzaj is talented but he really doesn't do enough for the team.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Positive signs, always looking to move forward with the ball which is good to see, added some pace and directness.
It was great to see all his touches in one video (thanks @MoneyMay ) and I have to agree. He's working extremely hard and he can control the ball artistically at times. I see him continuing to work on the deficiencies in his game and realizing his potential, it may just take a little longer than we want. His mentality is right, he has the talent.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Januzaj has poor acceleration like Barbatov, that is why he struggles to get away from players, they catch him easily over the first few years, he's fine once motoring but you rarely get the chance to do that if you can't get off the mark quickly. There's no point in us going round and round on this mate, you clearly rate Mata in this role and I don't so we might as well just leave it at that, as for Rooney, he's physically deteriorated, he's not going to outpace defenses.
He can actually get past players rather well. Pace doesnt really seem to be an issue with him

Donut

I really hope we keep playing him.

Sure he might give the ball away more than Young, but he's also more unpredictable and once it all clicks and he fulfills his potential he'll be an absolute superstar.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
^^^^^ This - I realize the Villa game was not exactly top notch, but for the first time in recent memory I could look up and see all 4 players up top in different spots. Rooney would come deeper to get the ball, Adnan would shift to either side while Memphis and Mata would go central. This is the third game these 4 have played together - it really can only improve. Was it great football - NO - but it certainly gives a glimpse of what is to come.
Major point that few seem to give appropriate consideration. The hattrick chance Memphis fluffed was an illustration of what could come but isn't quite there yet. With all our changes over the last few years, that means everyone has to re-learn their roles, develop new understandings and partnerships, and practice all over again.

Adnan wasn't playing regularly like the rest and, with his age, he'll take even longer to hit his heights but it will come. A potentially big silver lining in all this transfer hoopla, imo

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I really think this lad is destined to be a star

Brightonian

Odd post given that getting past players is exactly what he's best at, and he does it almost effortlessly.

Devil may care

He can actually get past players rather well. Pace doesnt really seem to be an issue with him
Odd post given that getting past players is exactly what he's best at, and he does it almost effortlessly.
I didn't say getting past I said getting away, he uses a trick to get past them but can't get away as he has poor acceleration and they recover on him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I didn't say getting past I said getting away, he uses a trick to get past them but can't get away as he has poor acceleration and they recover on him.
He doesnt use fancy trickery to get away. Usually he just moves to the side quickly then uses his pace to get away. He certainly does not have poor acceleration as he showed during the Moyes season

The Purley King

I hope LVG sticks with him, even if he has a couple of dodgy games. He won't learn anything sat on the bench and if he does fulfill his potential by playing regularly then we'll have an excellent player on our hands. He already looks stronger than last year, he's never going to be a Ronaldo in terms of physique, but he has filled out a bit, which is good.

Brightonian

Never noticed that myself. Once he's past a man he tends to show him a clean pair of heels. He's not lightning but he's certainly fast enough to make his dribbling count.

m1y2

Not happy with Herrera on the bench at all but if there is any player who should steal some minutes from him it should be Adnan or Andreas. It's Januzaj's future role so the sooner we will start him playing there the better for him and it shall pay off.

I was pleased with what I've seen from him last game. I think Mata could alternate with Pereira on the other. Herrera with Adnan and one of the pivots..

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
God bless their persistence but they might need to work on a more short-term strategy.

Brightonian

Yep, needs to keep starting. If we want him to develop consistency, then he needs consistent game time.

I'd be interested to see us try him on the right, Memphis on the left and Herrera in the middle. Mata's been doing well but one game off won't do him any harm and it might be worth taking a look at that more dynamic trio.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yep, needs to keep starting. If we want him to develop consistency, then he needs consistent game time.

I'd be interested to see us try him on the right, Memphis on the left and Herrera in the middle. Mata's been doing well but one game off won't do him any harm and it might be worth taking a look at that more dynamic trio.
Mata's been great in the last two games. The more that him, Memphis and Januzaj work on their link-up play together the better.

If/when Hererra starts it should be instead of one of our central midfielders. Presumably when we next play a really poor team at home.

SambaBoy

Never get why people think Januzaj isn't quick? He prefers to use trickery and movement to get past players but when he's faced one on one, there's time where he just knocks it down the line and leaves the defenders for dead. He's definitely not slow, and has enough acceleration and top speed to get away from most defenders.

Around the box and in tight spaces, he obviously uses his great dribbling skills, trickery and close control to beat a man. He normally stands them up (similar to Nani) and drops a shoulder to go one way and then goes the other. If he gets a run of games this season, then I think he can flourish and finally start to show his ability. For me, he can develop into a terrific no.10, his passing while inconsistent at the moment is very good but he seems to be under pressure at the minute and trying too hard to make things happen.

From a team perspective it would make sense to put him on the right for now and Mata as the no.10 or Herrera, Mata slows the game down too much out wide and is too weak and slow to be effective there while Januzaj does have all the attributes to be a great winger who can cut in and play dangerous balls or go on the outside and beat his man.

The Purley King

From a team perspective it would make sense to put him on the right for now and Mata as the no.10 or Herrera, Mata slows the game down too much out wide and is too weak and slow to be effective there while Januzaj does have all the attributes to be a great winger who can cut in and play dangerous balls or go on the outside and beat his man.
Possibly - but then Januzaj doesn't get minutes in his preferred position and the one which he will surely play in the future. I'd prefer we just stick with him at #10 for a while. He's not going to learn how to play as a #10 if he's shunted out to the wing. We haven't done Phil Jones any favours with this sort of treatment in the past either.

Mali_Zeus

I reckon he'll start on Saturday and he should start. He can improve his play by playing constantly and I feel this could be his break out season.

Devil may care

He doesnt use fancy trickery to get away. Usually he just moves to the side quickly then uses his pace to get away. He certainly does not have poor acceleration as he showed during the Moyes season
That sounds more like Valencia, Adnan has excellent footwork that allows him to shift the ball between feet and swerve the defender, but his poor acceleration means he rarely gets away with the ball.

Never noticed that myself. Once he's past a man he tends to show him a clean pair of heels. He's not lightning but he's certainly fast enough to make his dribbling count.
It just feels like we are seeing different players, I don't see speed as a big asset at all with Januzaj, to me his control and passing will be what allows him to hurt teams centrally like Silva, but he's not going to go past players and burn them off like Hazard or Sanchez as more often than not most have the speed to recover if he doesn't release the ball quick enough.

God bless their persistence but they might need to work on a more short-term strategy.
:lol:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
@Devil may care

I think it's the other way round. He's got good acceleration which often allows him to get past players but hasn't quite got the pace (or strength) to keep it up.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
but his poor acceleration
He doesn't have poor acceleration at all. In fact I'd say it's one of his strengths. His sprint speed isn't great, but he certainly has enough acceleration for it to be a valuable asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.