Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The talent is there, but he need to improve his decision-making and end-products before playing a main role in this team.
Either a loan or as an impact sub would be his role for next season.

FromTheBench

LVG needs to play a fecking 4-2-3-1 already and give the front 4 chance to roam around.

That would suit Januzaj best right now and is also most suited to rest of our squad like Di Maria, Rooney, Mata and even Depay.

But he seems to prefer playing 4-4-2 or a very rigid 4-3-3.

I think Januzaj is best on the right, with a license to roam in. Though the 2 shots he took in the last game was interesting and pretty good. That's a aspect of his game that is improving.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not his best performance. Needs a loan where he can play consistently to rebuild his confidence.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Yeah his confidence looks shot. Nothing happens instinctively, he overthinks everything and that really neutralizes his biggest strengths as a player.

FromTheBench

Seems LVG has instructed him to cut down on risks he takes plus he ended up being doubled team almost all the game because Blackett wasn't much of a outlet say compared to a Shaw.

Didn't do anything special but didn't do anything bad either. LVG might be pleased.

kundalini

I wouldn't read too much into 45 mins in which he rarely got the ball in a good position to make anything happen. I noticed one through-ball to Wilson that was over-hit but otherwise the opportunities weren't there. It's not like he wasted several good openings. On one occasion he did a nice flick inside to Wilson who didn't see it coming at all.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He needs a loan.

Last season he was trying to dribble like an out and out winger. Now he's just happy to play a full 45 minutes of passing sideways.

He needs a reboot, and regular game time.

khoazany

I wouldn't read too much onto a pre-season game.Loads of other senior players (and new signings) look average.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I wouldn't read too much onto a pre-season game.Loads of other senior players (and new signings) look average.
Agreed. The only thing I'm interested in really is how the players are communicating with one another.

LR7

I love LvG but it's fairly clear Adnan's natural instincts have been coached out of him to a certain degree. He used to try to take players on all of the time - sometimes it came off sometimes it didn't. I get the impression LvG didn't like the element of risk because it's clear Adnan is reluctant to try at times now, so he ends up playing it safe a lot which is the opposite of what made him so exciting in his breakthrough season.

An Everton loan wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. He's still an exciting talent.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If we keep playing him on the wing, we'll see no improvement. That's just not his position. Behind the striker or as the second striker is where he belongs.

Kakeru

Senior players can afford to slack off a little (although I usually hate slacking in any discipline), but a youngster like Januzaj cannot afford that because he is supposed to fight for a spot with the main squad. That's how it's supposed to be in training camp: youngsters playing all out to steal a spot.

khoazany

Senior players can afford to slack off a little (although I usually hate slacking in any discipline), but a youngster like Januzaj cannot afford that because he is supposed to fight for a spot with the main squad. That's how it's supposed to be in training camp: youngsters playing all out to steal a spot.
They didn't slack off, they played shit because their fitness level and mutual understanding aren't there yet.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I've said from the start he's massively overrated on here.

Him and sterling broke through at roughly the same time and look how for sterling has gone whereas Januzaj has gone nowhere in his development. He really needs a loan for regular games.

shamans

I've said from the start he's massively overrated on here.

Him and sterling broke through at roughly the same time and look how for sterling has gone whereas Januzaj has gone nowhere in his development. He really needs a loan for regular games.
He is not overrated at all. What he did in his first season at his age was pure quality; it was world class potential.

It's clear to see something is wrong in the position he's playing in or maybe following Van Gaals philosophy. I believe he'll be bigger than sterling eventually. Seems like a player that thrives on confidence.

JackXX

He's not overrated he was one of the few good players under Moyes. Full of confidence, great football brain and made things happen. Without getting into a Sterling vs Adnan debate I think if Adnan was given the opportunities that Sterling has had we would see a much more complete player. Sterling has had some pretty poor patches (which is to be expected for young players) but Liverpool have trusted and to a certain extent relied on him so he's been able to keep his development going. If Adnan doesn't play well we don't see him again for a month or two.

One thing I think he really has to do is tie down a position. I thought he was going to become a winger when he broke into the team but he still wants this role behind the striker. The problem is everyone wants to play there these days.

A loan could do him good but I always worry with youngsters we send out because unless they are undroppable managers will always prefer an experienced player who is tied to the club. Basically we need a B team it's mental we haven't got them in this country.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Is this opportunities nonsense really true?

He's made 56 appearances in all competitions in two seasons. I think that's a lot of time to improve your overall level of play. He hasn't had to deal with a serious injury either. Van Gaal does have a certain philosophy which can be restrictive but all this he could be at sterling levels talk seems like delusion.

Obiorahking_

Janusaj trying g effortlessly to get into the ball. Blackett missed almost every single one of his runs.

Obiorahking_

Janusaj looks more deadly when he is on the right or playing through the middle.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
It's pre-season so even I'll cut Adnan slack here. It's meaningless. We won everything last year then lost to Swansea.

Finding it highly amusing that people want LVG to adapt the team setup to suit Januzaj already though. Until he proves himself, that's never happening and should never happen.

I get LVG's style may not suit but it's also offering enough for Januzaj to fit into too. Safe ball playing and positional movement. It's basic fundamental stuff and last season his decision making was shown to be very poor because he couldn't cope with that at the level.

He has it in him to do very well if his application improves. Big year ahead. I'd back a loan in Jan if he gets nowhere before then. 18 months under Louis' training is enough of a chance and enough of a window to judge him by for van Gaal.

FromTheBench

He probably needs SAF type of manager who as RVP said goes to him and tells him to excite him in tight matches and not bother about failing few times.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
It's pre-season so even I'll cut Adnan slack here. It's meaningless. We won everything last year then lost to Swansea.

Finding it highly amusing that people want LVG to adapt the team setup to suit Januzaj already though. Until he proves himself, that's never happening and should never happen.

I get LVG's style may not suit but it's also offering enough for Januzaj to fit into too. Safe ball playing and positional movement. It's basic fundamental stuff and last season his decision making was shown to be very poor because he couldn't cope with that at the level.

He has it in him to do very well if his application improves. Big year ahead. I'd back a loan in Jan if he gets nowhere before then. 18 months under Louis' training is enough of a chance and enough of a window to judge him by for van Gaal.
Very sensible post.

Drifter

American
Had a poor game. Seems reluctant to take players on and misplaced a few passes.

In Rainbows

I love LvG but it's fairly clear Adnan's natural instincts have been coached out of him to a certain degree. He used to try to take players on all of the time - sometimes it came off sometimes it didn't. I get the impression LvG didn't like the element of risk because it's clear Adnan is reluctant to try at times now, so he ends up playing it safe a lot which is the opposite of what made him so exciting in his breakthrough season.

An Everton loan wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. He's still an exciting talent.
His natural instinct isn't to dribble. I believe what he did at youth level is what tips you off on his natural instincts. He only dribbled on occasion and it was never his focus. What was his natural instinct was to come to the ball with the freedom to go wherever he pleased and build the attacks. You can see that in his first preseason with United and a lot of his matches in his first season. Although under Moyes he did start to dribble a lot more and it did become his natural instinct under Moyes. I believe he was coached to make things happen and because his dribbling had a lot of success he started to rely on it.

Towards the 2nd half of Moyes' season he started to just stay on the wing and dribble. So he had a lot of quiet games, very lively games, and frustrating games. With LVG he does the same thing, but after his dribbling wasn't as successful as under Moyes, he started to be more conservative.

He needs to be allowed to come to the ball and get in the game is what I think. Now that I think about it, I don't think he needs to come to the ball, but he certainly needs freedom to dribble/pass his way to central areas allowing him to act more like a midfielder/10 than a winger.

Last edited:

worldinmotion66

His natural instinct isn't to dribble. I believe what he did at youth level is what tips you off on his natural instincts. He only dribbled on occasion and it was never his focus. What was his natural instinct was to come to the ball with the freedom to go wherever he pleased and build the attacks. You can see that in his first preseason with United and a lot of his matches in his first season.

Towards the 2nd half of Moyes' season he started to just stay on the wing and dribble. With LVG he does the same thing, but after his dribbling wasn't as successful as under Moyes, he started to be more conservative.

He needs to be allowed to come to the ball and get in the game.
Agree with this, he needs to play in behind the striker with the freedom to move laterally and find space. I don't think Van Gaal rates him highly enough to give him games there though, and his lack of energy and work rate won't help. I sometimes feel he needs a kick up the arse to get himself into games and try harder, but maybe that's not what Van Gaal wants him to do.

dannyrhinos89

He is not overrated at all. What he did in his first season at his age was pure quality; it was world class potential.

It's clear to see something is wrong in the position he's playing in or maybe following Van Gaals philosophy. I believe he'll be bigger than sterling eventually. Seems like a player that thrives on confidence.
What exactly has he done though to show you he can be world class, after a break through start he's done absolutely nothing since and I mean zilch. I'm fairly confident in saying He will never reach sterlings level. As I said he needs a loan to get regular minutes, We will see how good he is then. For me though the jury is still out on him.

shamans

What exactly has he done though to show you he can be world class, after a break through start he's done absolutely nothing since and I mean zilch. I'm fairly confident in saying He will never reach sterlings level. As I said he needs a loan to get regular minutes, We will see how good he is then. For me though the jury is still out on him.
Absolutely zilch? He's had two seasons here. In one, he has basically carrying the whole Man United team at times looking like our only threat. In the second season, he was struggling because of his position.

"absolutely nothing and I mean zilch". Give me a break.. you clearly haven't seen the boy enough.

dannyrhinos89

Absolutely zilch? He's had two seasons here. In one, he has basically carrying the whole Man United team at times looking like our only threat. In the second season, he was struggling because of his position.

"absolutely nothing and I mean zilch". Give me a break.. you clearly haven't seen the boy enough.
He's scored 4 goals in 2 seasons and 2 of those came in one game. It's Not the quality of a potential world class player. He's no different now to the player he was when he made his debut and If anything he's worse.theres always people coming up with excuses but he's had plenty of matches to,improve and the simple fact is he hasn't.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
He's scored 4 goals in 2 seasons and 2 of those came in one game. It's Not the quality of a potential world class player.
Regardless of your opinion on him its silly to use his goal tally as any sort of barometer of his potential.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I'm one of Januzaj's biggest fanboi's on here but I've been underwhelmed by his performances so far this preseason to put it mildly, it's a big year for him and he really needs to show his talent, I'm starting to get slightly concerned.

I think he's struggling with LvG's -less-risks taken- system, also I don't know what the hell has happened to Wilson lately either.

Last edited:

shamans

He's scored 4 goals in 2 seasons and 2 of those came in one game. It's Not the quality of a potential world class player. He's no different now to the player he was when he made his debut and If anything he's worse.theres always people coming up with excuses but he's had plenty of matches to,improve and the simple fact is he hasn't.

Yes because you need goals to judge a players potential. To suggest Januzaj has done "zilch" is ridiculous no matter how much you rate him or not.

dannyrhinos89

Yes because you need goals to judge a players potential. To suggest Januzaj has done "zilch" is ridiculous no matter how much you rate him or not.
As an attacking player then yes goals are a good judge of a player. 4 goals in 50 odd appearances isn't good enough at all, Regardless of age.

Anyway we will see how he goes next season

Impulse

Januzaj played a little over 1000 minutes last season which is the equivalent of about ten and a half full games, and those minutes were spread across an entire season. There is no way a player can find any sort of form when he's playing so infrequently, especially when he found himself playing in a different position in a different formation almost every time he got into the team.

RooneyLegend

Misused again, another underwhelming performance. If this goes on we're gonna lose a sparkling talent.

LS17

Thought he was very good today. Obviously should have scored early on but since then I thought his performance was encouraging. Made a lot of good runs behind and looked quick, held it up well and looked a hell of a lot more enthusiastic compared to the other previous games. Maybe as a striker is where his future belongs.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Too talented to not make it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.