5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

Where the feck is he? I really don't want to see the crap Lingard start anymore games at this club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
he's had a really awful 2 years, really gone backwards after his breakthrough year.

so frustrating for us, let alone him

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
@GloryHunter07 @caisenma (who appears to be a fully signed up Januzaj fan boi)

This is what I was going to post in the derailed injuries thread, which was locked:

In the past 1 1/2 seasons he has shown nothing whatsoever to follow up the hype that surrounded him in his first half season. He scored 4 goals, 2 of which were in the one game. He had a marvellous opportunity at Dortmund to show what he was made of and went around like some billy big bollocks telling everyone that he plays for United.

Now, this is the injuries thread, and it is not the place to discuss him, but I am sure that when he is fit he will be given the chance to prove himself. I hope I am wrong, but I don't expect he will be proving anything to anybody at United.

SteveW

I don't really see how anybody can say he will or won't make it at present. It's not unusual for a young player to have a bad run of form and he's barely had a look in for the best part of a year. Under the right manager I could still see him becoming a very good player for us.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
@GloryHunter07 @caisenma (who appears to be a fully signed up Januzaj fan boi)

This is what I was going to post in the derailed injuries thread, which was locked:

In the past 1 1/2 seasons he has shown nothing whatsoever to follow up the hype that surrounded him in his first half season. He scored 4 goals, 2 of which were in the one game. He had a marvellous opportunity at Dortmund to show what he was made of and went around like some billy big bollocks telling everyone that he plays for United.

Now, this is the injuries thread, and it is not the place to discuss him, but I am sure that when he is fit he will be given the chance to prove himself. I hope I am wrong, but I don't expect he will be proving anything to anybody at United.
I think I appear to be a slightly larger Januzaj fan than I in fact am, as a result of my tagline. And it's true, I do come to his defence on here as well. But I'd like to think that i'm somewhat rational and not anywhere near Mad Winger's level of obsession with Kagawa.

With Januzaj, I agree he's had a tough two years. Anyone can use excuses, and I'm usually the first to say that excuses aren't good enough. The best always rise to the top, and for those who don't make it it's either a case of them not being good enough or they didn't have the desire/work ethic to achieve their true potential.

I'm going to flat out disagree with your part about his first season. For any 18 year old to come in and do the job he did on a somewhat regular basis (keeping in mind he won United's player of the month honours on three occassions that season), while having been kept out of the line up for long spells once Mata came in, is remarkable by literally anyone's standards. It's true while 4 goals isn't a lot, he contributed a lot in other areas from assists to build up, etc. I don't think I need to explain myself here, because you won't find more than a handful of people that would disagree with me when I say he had a strong first year.

Last season he wasn't remotely the same player. He looked bereft of confidence and his poor decision making was incredibly frustrating. Was this a case of second season syndrome or LVG's tactics? Maybe a bit of both, nobody can say for sure. But it is safe to say he wasn't good enough, and certainly didn't resemble the player from the year before.

This season has been weird. He started four matches and did... ok. Maybe a 6/10? But then again, the whole team looked poor and we know how the rest of the season has gone since then. Especially in regards to Adnan not having played for us for more than 5 minutes since August.

It's clear (I hope!) that LVG will be gone in the summer and it will be a new start for a lot of players. Januzaj just turned 21 and as long as he has the work ethic and mindset to reach the extent of his potential, I think we can have a really good player on our hands.

But like most players, people often are too quick to say "oh he's shit" or "OMG he's going to be our Messi". There's an in-between area, and it's not all bad in there.

marlowe78

I don't really see how anybody can say he will or won't make it at present. It's not unusual for a young player to have a bad run of form and he's barely had a look in for the best part of a year. Under the right manager I could still see him becoming a very good player for us.
I'm still trying to figure out if the perception of him had a lot to do with that season under Moyes and how bad things got.

Januzaj clearly has talent but there is just something lacking, I can't put my finger on it. Whether it's attitude or the way he's being trained, he just seems to lack that focus or extra bit of skill that would make him the complete player a lot of us were expecting. Ever since those first few games he played, he has gone backwards and looks discouraged/pissed off. His skill set doesn't seem to be showing any kind of progress and his composure in the few games he's played has often been poor. So I'm not sure if we're overrating Januzaj or by how much. Pereira is a good comparison. He's almost the same age as Januzaj and looks much more assured in the few games he's played with the first team.

SteveW

I'm still trying to figure out if the perception of him had a lot to do with that season under Moyes and how bad things got.

Januzaj clearly has talent but there is just something lacking, I can't put my finger on it. Whether it's attitude or the way he's being trained, he just seems to lack that focus or extra bit of skill that would make him the complete player a lot of us were expecting. Ever since those first few games he played, he has gone backwards and looks discouraged/pissed off. His skill set doesn't seem to be showing any kind of progress and his composure in the few games he's played has often been poor. So I'm not sure if we're overrating Januzaj or by how much. Pereira is a good comparison. He's almost the same age as Januzaj and looks much more assured in the few games he's played with the first team.
I don't think the perception has anything down with Moyes or how bad things got. He genuinely was excellent for that few months when he first got into the team. It wasn't about the highlights but the general level of his play. He seemed like such a clever player consistently making the right decisions on the pitch. He seemed to have great vision and really good sense of what was going on around him. This along with his dribbling and lovely weight of passing made it look like all he needed to do was get a bit stronger and nothing would stop him.

His form since has led to a lot of people rethinking his early form and wondering if they just imagined it. Others have decided to pretend he never played that well in the first place. I find this all a bit strange. Perhaps people just find it difficult to reconcile the early performances with the more puzzling ones we've seen since. This is understandable because he's been a very different player. For some reason his judgement and decision making seen to have completely gone. It's very hard to understand why. I watched him take about 15 shots in an U21 game a few weeks ago. Most of them made no sense.

I think the club need to work on him and figure out what's going on in his head. Perhaps it is a confidence thing. When he first started he seemed the calmest player on the pitch. These days he always seems to be trying to hard to make something happen. The foul against Sunderland is a perfect example of this.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's still very young. I am not going to predict where he'll reach in his career. What I do know is that he has the natural talent to be a top player, and hope he works hard enough to get there.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I think he played so well under Moyes because of the way the team was set up. Moyes, didn't really give any sort of tactical instructions or had any sort of structure in attack for his players. This was a great environment for Januzaj to use his instinct and talent to just go out and play and flourish. The problem is, most top managers will have tactical roles for their attacking players and will have them follow patterns and movements within the system.

This is where Januzaj seems to struggle. He cant deal with a tactically disciplined role where he has a responsibility to do a job. This is especially noticeable under Van Gaal and is why he failed at Dortmund (Their attackers all have roles to fill). Its up to Januzaj to start working on flourishing under a tactical responsibility and unless he does, he will never be a top player.

Man Utd 3:2 Arsenal

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he did well when he came on today. Maybe it was because of the whole feel of everyone today, but he showed confidence in the brief time he had and had good moments. Hopefully he can see all the others taking their chances and get some belief back that he can do the same.

FromTheBench

We are playing more open in attack right now which should help him compared to sideways pass ball we were playing earlier.

kundalini

I think he played so well under Moyes because of the way the team was set up. Moyes, didn't really give any sort of tactical instructions or had any sort of structure in attack for his players. This was a great environment for Januzaj to use his instinct and talent to just go out and play and flourish. The problem is, most top managers will have tactical roles for their attacking players and will have them follow patterns and movements within the system.

This is where Januzaj seems to struggle. He cant deal with a tactically disciplined role where he has a responsibility to do a job. This is especially noticeable under Van Gaal and is why he failed at Dortmund (Their attackers all have roles to fill). Its up to Januzaj to start working on flourishing under a tactical responsibility and unless he does, he will never be a top player.
LVG has given several players a lot of freedom to do their own thing. Di Maria last season and Memphis this season for example. To get the best out of Januzaj, he needs to be given the ball and be told to take responsibility for creating something (and do a decent job defensively). I still think he's a huge talent but he really needs a manager that believes in him.

In terms of performances, Januzaj has been no worse than Mata, yet one starts almost every game while the other gets to sit on the bench and sent out on loan. Buying Mata was the worst thing that could happen for Januzaj and hasn't helped United in the slightest.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Thought he did well when he came on today. Maybe it was because of the whole feel of everyone today, but he showed confidence in the brief time he had and had good moments. Hopefully he can see all the others taking their chances and get some belief back that he can do the same.
Aye. Looked confident today.

Still think he's the best attacking talent (bar Martial) at the club.

criticalanalysis

Hopefully he'll get more chances and minutes!

His talent is so obvious it hurts not to see him play more.

Fanboi/

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
In terms of performances, Januzaj has been no worse than Mata, yet one starts almost every game while the other gets to sit on the bench and sent out on loan. Buying Mata was the worst thing that could happen for Januzaj and hasn't helped United in the slightest.
I don't really think Mata has been the worst thing for him and I think they could play well together. The worst thing has been the style of play. Slow, tumescent stuff where he always got the ball at a standing start and was expected to try take on a man which isn't his game. Just like Memphis, we can see a huge difference now that their is some tempo and movement in our play and they aren't just given the ball wide and expected to do something with it on their own. Adnan fits right into this style and would link up great with Mata, Memphis etc. This trying to mould him into a high flying winger Giggs reincarnation has been the worst thing for Adnan's development as he just simply isn't that player and it is madness to expect him to be.

Walters_19_MuFc

Didn't stop running when he come on, both closing players down and running the channels to provide an outlet for us. His contribution was very important and what we needed in that period of the game.

Born2Lose

If he had the hunger and determination of some of our other young players he'd be in the team every week. Hope he can sort his head out and reach his potential.

Trizy

Did okay for me, almost like he was trying too hard to prove something because he kept battering everyone around him and giving away a free :lol: ..

Us sitting back more didn't help his attacking cause.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Loved the pass to Mata who wasn't able to pick out Memphis. Was with the outside of his foot I think.

I think the kid has all the ability in the world. Give him more chances.

jb8521

Van Gaal said this when discussing Depay the other day
“I have never given up on him, nor have I given up on Adnan Januzaj either because I recognize their quality and their talents.But they have to cope with the Premier league and we help them every day to develop themselves so they can cope with the Premier League."

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I don't really think Mata has been the worst thing for him and I think they could play well together. The worst thing has been the style of play. Slow, tumescent stuff where he always got the ball at a standing start and was expected to try take on a man which isn't his game. Just like Memphis, we can see a huge difference now that their is some tempo and movement in our play and they aren't just given the ball wide and expected to do something with it on their own. Adnan fits right into this style and would link up great with Mata, Memphis etc. This trying to mould him into a high flying winger Giggs reincarnation has been the worst thing for Adnan's development as he just simply isn't that player and it is madness to expect him to be.
Completely agree. Even if he had the technical skills for the role, he simply does not have the pace to be a Giggs-type player. He's a 10, or a wide play-maker drifting in from the right a la Mata.

Bwuk

I'd play him on the right and rest Lingard on Wednesday who looks shattered.

Spock

If he had the hunger and determination of some of our other young players he'd be in the team every week. Hope he can sort his head out and reach his potential.
Agreed. The sky is the limit for Adnan but only if he sorts himself out. Maybe he has already.

prath92

Anyone got a gif of him going past 3 defenders or so near the left flank corner? That was amazing.

Devil may care

I'd play him on the right and rest Lingard on Wednesday who looks shattered.
That's what I'm hoping for, he'd add a fresh threat to the forward line and Lingard certainly looks like he could use a rest, the squad is so thin it makes sense to filter in 1 or 2 changes when possible to try and avoid wearing out the players we have left.

Status
Not open for further replies.