g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Adnan Januzaj image 15

Adnan Januzaj Belgium flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Unless Januzaj has a good season under LVG next year, Van Gaal can only be seen as somebody that failed or mismanaged Januzaj. Possibly even ruined him. I don't think Januzaj has been particularly bad with regards to his attitude, perhaps just a bit unlucky with how things have worked out.

You can't blame the lad for being confident in his ability, if he wasn't then he'd have no chance here. It's how the manager manages these players that makes the difference sometimes.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Unless Januzaj has a good season under LVG next year, Van Gaal can only be seen as somebody that failed or mismanaged Januzaj. Possibly even ruined him. I don't think Januzaj has been particularly bad with regards to his attitude, perhaps just a bit unlucky with how things have worked out.

You can't blame the lad for being confident in his ability, if he wasn't then he'd have no chance here. It's how the manager manages these players that makes the difference sometimes.
You don't have the first clue how Januzaj has been with his attitude.

dirkey

Of course it was Van Gaal who failed / mismanaged Januzaj if he fails. Nothing to do with him not applying himself (we don't know) or just simply not having the ability to cut it at the top level when it comes down to it? Nope, all Van Gaal's fault.

As I said above, he didn't exactly do the business at Dortmund either. I suppose that was Louis' fault?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

You have to say that given how strongly you backed him in the beginning...

I bet Januzaj is as good, at this age, as some of the legends of the game were.

He's special because there's simply no limit on how good he can become due to his talent, ability and attitude.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm of the same opinion. The kid was the real deal, LVGs tenure has destroyed him during the most important years of his development.
6 months of football have never made a kid a real deal, if I had to choose a side I would say that LVG knows his stuff when it comes to young players.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
It's kind of strange that 3 biggest talents coming out of the academy in that age group re Pereira, Wilson and Januzaj are all stagnating or struggling to get in under LVG while he prefers others who talent wise arguably aren't on the same level.
To me it suggests that talent is a distant second to the ability to follow the coach's specific instructions. I don't agree with that approach, but it's the only explanation I can come up with.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
6 months of football have never made a kid a real deal, if I had to choose a side I would say that LVG knows his stuff when it comes to young players.
You don't need 6 months of football to see if someone is the real deal. His performances as a teenager against PL sides should be enough to convince anyone that he has serious talent. Of course, he doesn't fit Van Gaals "philosophy" and he has to suffer for that.

It's painful that lingard starts ahead of him.

AttackingFlair

You don't need 6 months of football to see if someone is the real deal. His performances as a teenager against PL sides should be enough to convince anyone that he has serious talent. Of course, he doesn't fit Van Gaals "philosophy" and he has to suffer for that.

It's painful that lingard starts ahead of him
Harsh. Lingard has just simply outperformed Januzaj. He makes the right decision more often and this is backed up with his end product.

dirkey

You're right, but people use his attitude as a reason for his current predicament, when they also know nothing on the matter. I've certainly never heard anything on Januzaj's attitude that I felt was particularly bad, including the stuff from Wilmots and Tuchel.
I find the manager of dortmund who he was on loan with, and his country's u-21 side saying he has a bad attitude pretty illuminating to be honest. What would they have to gain by saying it?

dirkey

Harsh. Lingard has just simply outperformed Januzaj. He makes the right decision more often and this is backed up with his end product.
People are in love with an idea of a player we are two years ago. They refuse to see he hasn't shown it in recent times. That's not to say he won't. But they refuse to see that Jesse, while technically more limited, is certainly producing a lot more right now.

El-Manos

People are in love with an idea of a player we are two years ago. They refuse to see he hasn't shown it in recent times. That's not to say he won't. But they refuse to see that Jesse, while technically more limited, is certainly producing a lot more right now.
I get your point but the ability he showed at times doesn't just go away like that. Don't forget he was our most consistent and best player at the age of 19, almost every time he was on the pitch that season. He still has great potential I believe and based on talent he could certainly make it here. His attitude, work-ethic and desire is perhaps another issue but that will remain to be seen. He needs a manager that will give him a consistent run though and who believes in him that's for sure. Januzaj seems to be the type of player who is dependent on very good management and somebody who be able to boost his confidence. He's at an age now where he needs game-time and a lot of it, whether that's on loan or at United will have to be decided very soon. LVG has to be blamed for loaning him out to Dortmund though, was an abysmal decision that.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I get your point but the ability he showed at times doesn't just go away like that. Don't forget he was our most consistent and best player at the age of 19, almost every time he was on the pitch that season. He still has great potential I believe and based on talent he could certainly make it here. His attitude, work-ethic and desire is perhaps another issue but that will remain to be seen. He needs a manager that will give him a consistent run though and who believes in him that's for sure. Januzaj seems to be the type of player who is dependent on very good management and somebody who be able to boost his confidence. He's at an age now where he needs game-time and a lot of it, whether that's on loan or at United will have to be decided very soon. LVG has to be blamed for loaning him out to Dortmund though, was an abysmal decision that.
Januzaj asked to be allowed to go there.

shamans

Look it depends on how you look at it. I guess Jesse scoring in his last game should allow him to keep his spot but he was quite useless for the rest of the game. Lingard is doing well but he just doesn't have the quality of Januzaj.

Whether it was 2 years ago or 3 years ago, the stuff this kid did as a teenager is what very few could ever do. Based on his talent (and having proved it in the past) he should be given a proper run in the starting line up (and by proper I mean in his position).

roykeane19

Maybe because hes starting, and Januzaj isnt?, how is he supposed to produce if he doesnt get any minutes

Fer

How do you rate our young attacking players considering their talent?

In my opinion:

1. Martial
2. Memphis
3. Januzaj
4. Pereira
5. Lingard

I think Januzaj and Pereira should play more often. Also I hope Memphis gets more confidence and show his talent in order to be important to for us next season.

wiz4231

Passing the ball back at every opportunity, doing jack all for most of the game playing it safe but score/assist, hardly ever taken his man on, is the right decision and what young players should be based on?
Look at Martial in contrast......

wiz4231

He got minutes earlier at United and Dortmund, just didnt do anything with it.
Scored on tour and scored Aston Villa then gets sent away. Great. Philosophy

Jesse in the team because he's tactically a better choice not technically/talent. It's easier for Van Gaal to switch to 352 with Jesse then it is with Januzaj and that's why this whole saga surrounding Januzaj is just bizarre. LVG been here for over 18 months and he still doesn't believe in any single formation to bring out the best of this team. I don't know whether he doesn't trust the players or his own philosophy.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Scored on tour and scored Aston Villa then gets sent away. Great. Philosophy

Jesse in the team because he's tactically a better choice not technically/talent. It's easier for Van Gaal to switch to 352 with Jesse then it is with Januzaj and that's why this whole saga surrounding Januzaj is just bizarre. LVG been here for over 18 months and he still doesn't believe in any single formation to bring out the best of this team. I don't know whether he doesn't trust the players or his own philosophy.

The Dortmund move tells you everything you need to know, LVG told him that he needed to play a lot and he wasn't sure if he could have that playing time at United and therefore offered to go on loan or fight, he decided to go on loan at Dortmund where LVG told him to not go, then Januzaj shows no desire to fight for his place at Dortmund and finally demand the premature ending of his loan. Mentally he isn't ready, he isn't mature and he doesn't want to compete for a place.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Januzaj is a passenger type of player right now. He doesn't come up with enough moments of brilliance to warrant being a passenger. Its like Mahrez, minus all the game changing moments. No top manager wants that in a team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I may be in the minority but I thought he showed good signs before he was sent out on loan. Played off the striker and played well mostly, was still inconsistent and sometimes weak on the ball, but was also very creative at times too. The loan move however killed his momentum.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Passing the ball back at every opportunity, doing jack all for most of the game playing it safe but score/assist, hardly ever taken his man on, is the right decision and what young players should be based on?
Look at Martial in contrast......
if it is good enough for captain undroppable........

Brightonian

The Dortmund move tells you everything you need to know, LVG told him that he needed to play a lot and he wasn't sure if he could have that playing time at United and therefore offered to go on loan or fight, he decided to go on loan at Dortmund where LVG told him to not go, then Januzaj shows no desire to fight for his place at Dortmund and finally demand the premature ending of his loan. Mentally he isn't ready, he isn't mature and he doesn't want to compete for a place.
Except that almost everything you've said there is supposition. You don't know what LVG said to Januzaj, you don't know what options he was offered, you have no reason to believe he 'showed no desire' at Dortmund (Tuchel's statements suggest the exact opposite) or that he was the one who asked for the loan to end.

I'd say there's actually more evidence for the exact opposite. Everyone who's spoken about him during his time with us has noted his hard work, determination and desire to succeed.

JPRouve

Scout
Except that almost everything you've said there is supposition. You don't know what LVG said to Januzaj, you don't know what options he was offered, you have no reason to believe he 'showed no desire' at Dortmund (Tuchel's statements suggest the exact opposite) or that he was the one who asked for the loan to end.

I'd say there's actually more evidence for the exact opposite. Everyone who's spoken about him during his time with us has noted his hard work, determination and desire to succeed.
"I never had the feeling Adnan was here with his whole heart, but rather that a part of him stayed in Manchester and compared everything with Man United," the Dortmund coach told Sport Bild.

"We were not able to help him let go of it. Sadly, he wasn't in it with the motivation and attitude you need to further yourself at this age."
"They are coming to us to ask for a second chance and Manchester United is a club that takes care of all our players and I think it's a very good habit to have that.

"I believe in the talent of Adnan Januzaj. I said it would be very difficult to play matches in Dortmund and unfortunately I was right.

Brightonian

Fair enough, I hadn't seen that first quote. I don't see that you can take anything from the second though (that's LVG, I assume?) He's not saying he told Januzaj not to go, just that it would be difficult to get game time, which everyone knew. It was just a gamble.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair enough, I hadn't seen that first quote. I don't see that you can take anything from the second though (that's LVG, I assume?) He's not saying he told Januzaj not to go, just that it would be difficult to get game time, which everyone knew. It was just a gamble.
There are other quotes somewhere, LVG wanted him to choose an english club with less competition.

dirkey

Maybe because hes starting, and Januzaj isnt?, how is he supposed to produce if he doesnt get any minutes
He started a few games at the start of the year and didn't exactly stand out, bar his one goal. My guess is that he's simply not showing it in training, whereas at least Lingard is, and Lingard then produces in the matches. Yeah, he's not as technically gifted, but he doesn't give the ball away much, he works hard and he gets into great positions, where he does have a final product. In my opinion Januzaj is still a very bad decision maker, and while he can use his skill to beat a man at times, he'll often choose the wrong option then. It makes complete sense to me why he's not in the side. He shouldn't just be put into the side if he's not doing it in training, especially not based on what he did 2 years ago. He obviously didn't do enough at Dortmund to warrant a place in their side either, yet people lambaste LVG for not playing him.

shamans

If we do let him go and waste him I can almost guarantee this is going to bite as in the backside later on. The quality he has shown in the past has been more than what I've ever seen from the likes of Depay, yet Depay is still given a chance here and there.

In Rainbows

He started a few games at the start of the year and didn't exactly stand out, bar his one goal. My guess is that he's simply not showing it in training, whereas at least Lingard is, and Lingard then produces in the matches. Yeah, he's not as technically gifted, but he doesn't give the ball away much, he works hard and he gets into great positions, where he does have a final product. In my opinion Januzaj is still a very bad decision maker, and while he can use his skill to beat a man at times, he'll often choose the wrong option then. It makes complete sense to me why he's not in the side. He shouldn't just be put into the side if he's not doing it in training, especially not based on what he did 2 years ago. He obviously didn't do enough at Dortmund to warrant a place in their side either, yet people lambaste LVG for not playing him.
Dortmund had attacking players in form. Jesse wouldn't have played either in the same position as Januzaj. Januzaj wasn't bad for Dortmund. It's just that the players ahead of him were just better. Also, Januzaj wasn't as much of a hustler on defense so I'm sure that factored into the decision to bench him. As for United, I think Januzaj's play the first 4 games were very similar to Jesse's. It's not like Jesse is outstanding and being dangerous. He's hardworking, and pops up with the odd goal. Van Gaal probably plays him because he's hardworking and doesn't try to do too much. I personally would rather have Januzaj played as I believe he can become a better player than Lingard in the future and I think it's worth the risk. Same reason why I won't give up on James Wilson either. I believe both players showed a lot at youth level to the point where they should not be given up on until they're 23 or something. I have more patience for youth players that showed a lot of potential. They're worth gambling on.

However, it's obviously not up to me so I can only hope Lingard helps us win games for the time being and Adnan eventually gets more chances.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm going to put my neck on the line here and predict that he won't actually end up the player we all hope him to be. Whether that's due to poor management of him, or just simply he just doesn't follow on from the promise he showed when he was younger - I don't know.

izec

I'm going to put my neck on the line here and predict that he won't actually end up the player we all hope him to be. Whether that's due to poor management of him, or just simply he just doesn't follow on from the promise he showed when he was younger - I don't know.
His attitude is piss poor apparently, at least that is what got reported here and in Dortmund a few times.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
He needs game-time in the first team and a good mentor. We have a dubious manager in the midst of a crisis, who was happy to loan him out last year - Janazaj's watching his formative years tick by with us, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in the summer - would be a waste though.

In Rainbows

His attitude is piss poor apparently, at least that is what got reported here and in Dortmund a few times.
Which is strange because before playing for the first team, it was the exact opposite. In fact, what I constantly heard was that his father would always tell Adnan that he could always do better even when he dominated in a match. Even in the interview during the 2013 united awards, Adnan said that he thinks he could do better. This after being the best u21 player after just turning 18 years old.

We'll see. I don't think he'll succeed if he continues to emphasize dribbling. If he reverts back to his old style where he kills teams with passing and vision, I believe he will succeed. That's where I stand right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.