Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I admit, I could be clutching at straws here. You could see him asking the ball at his feet in many situations without the ball arriving, you could see him gesticulating and showing annoyance. Like I said, I may be talking complete rubbish.
I also said how frustrated he looked in his 1st game at Yeovil. Constantly complaining at the lack of runs, Mata's reluctance to make a killer pass, Shaw's reluctance to overlap. I don't think he realised how bad we are attacking wise. I also remember him absolute raging at Valencia at one point during the Huddersfield match.
I don't think it's that bad. It's the way he reacts and play.
Yeah, he's not afraid of showing his emotions on the pitch; that's for sure.

manunited1919

Alexis is a disruptor at United and it's going to be a while until the dust settles and we understand the true benefits of the lad. I'm not saying that he's not good - he's clearly going to be amazing for us. What I am talking about is the impact of his signing on the rest of the team. We haven't bought him on 1st July and got a full pre-season to bed him in - we need to work out what works as we go along.

It's clearly going to have a significant impact to the 'normal' first 11 starting. Alexis will take one of the front four berths but who will take the other two (assuming Lukaku has got the other locked down). This isn't just going to be 'who's the fastest', or 'who's got the best tricks', but more who has the best relationship with Pogba, Alexis and Lukaku.

We have Lingard, Rashford, Martial and Mata fighting over two spots - possibly one if as I hope we continue to put Pogba at the head of a midfield three. With Alexis instigating such a change I'm not sure we are supporters are going to be able to have much valid analysis for a while and will have to trust in Jose and what he sees on the training ground.

Of the four on first look I could see Mata struggling for game time but it may well go in completely the opposite direction. With Alexis having so much urgency and flair, who is able to make and receive pinpoint passes, you may well be looking for someone who will gel with this. Lingard, Rashford and Martial have often shown either an inability to look up or an inability to thread the pinpoint pass. Mata might well end up higher up the pecking order.

One thing for sure, not having to *always* rely on the these options from the start but more giving them rotation from the bench can only be a good thing for Man Utd and these players. Let them grow into form, rather than playing them anyway when they are not.
This

R'hllor

Give him time, few more games and our attacking game will pull him down in the mud where rest of them are.

svastian99

Alexis often has to go down a lot to defend and generate football. we need better transitions from the midfield. Alexis must play in the middle behind lukaku or as RW, a partnership with Alexis-Mata-Valencia (they speak the same language) would be something interesting on the right, with that Martial returns to its original position.

Mercurial

We need a world class #10 maestro to remedy our disjointedness. Alexis is a delight to watch, raw energy.

hn4manunited

I agree with those who are saying that we’ll need some time for Alexis and our other players who have been here to get used to playing with him and to know him. You can tell he is not quite understanding why other players are not thinking like he does with movement, frustrated with ball moving too slowly, gesturing to other players to calm down in certain situations. I can also see players like pogba, Lingard, Martial, rashford being young could get annoyed with this new guy coming in and barking orders. In reality, we need more of that but these players are of a different generation and generally are softies when it comes to toughness. It may be time this summer window to add more toughness. Zlatan was someone who the youngsters looked up to. Not sure Alexis is being viewed that way by our youngsters yet. I can’t wait to get more leaders on the pitch to get these youngsters in order.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I agree with those who are saying that we’ll need some time for Alexis and our other players who have been here to get used to playing with him and to know him. You can tell he is not quite understanding why other players are not thinking like he does with movement, frustrated with ball moving too slowly, gesturing to other players to calm down in certain situations. I can also see players like pogba, Lingard, Martial, rashford being young could get annoyed with this new guy coming in and barking orders. In reality, we need more of that but these players are of a different generation and generally are softies when it comes to toughness. It may be time this summer window to add more toughness. Zlatan was someone who the youngsters looked up to. Not sure Alexis is being viewed that way by our youngsters yet. I can’t wait to get more leaders on the pitch to get these youngsters in order.
I remember other players we have signed in recent times being talked about as having to be given time for existing players in our squad to understand how they play. It's worrying.

Last edited:

Rajma

He’s an elite player, we used to have all our attack made up from attackers of his ilk.

In a way it is actually sad to see how far we have fallen when he’s put next to our crop.

Eddy_JukeZ

Should have buried that chance.

But his arrival has showcased so many systematic problems in our team.

James Peril

Should have buried that chance.

But his arrival has showcased so many systematic problems in our team.
It indeed has. A few games for us and he also disappears into the abyss. I was half expecting an immediate effect in terms of more nice play between our skilled attackers, more room to be exploited by others and interchanging outside the box - but we have seen none of it. Due to our players not participating going forward, I have seen Sanchez dropping way deep to just touch the ball - he’s desperate.

It would be interesting to see the average position of our players compared to City when we first have the ball in dangerous positions. I expect to see a lot less runs, as well as players standing still to keep form and everyone to be a lot closer to our goal on average.

Try to score goals, but don’t take defensive risk or lose form by doing it.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Interesting enough the xG for Sanchez’s miss per Caley was a little under 0.3, although I don’t know what the xG would have been if he shot immeadiately.

Acole9

Outstanding
I can't believe he didn't score that when he rounded the goalkeeper, it's difficult to criticise though when he was our best player. He was one of the only ones who showed bottle when going forward, no sideways passing nonsense, always looking for that incisive pass.

To those who thought he was going to play out on the right for us were kidding themselves, I knew full well when we signed him that he would mostly be playing out on the left. I know Martial and Rashford aren't as good out on the right but Sanchez is a cut above them and is our best attacking player now so we have to play him where he is going to produce the most.

LeftyBlaster

How many times do I have to say it before people believe that signing world class players will not improve us. It’s a systemic problem. A lack of progressive attacking coaching. Jose has failed to do this.

hn4manunited

I remember other players we have signed in recent times being talked about is having to be given time for existing players in our squad to understand how they play. It's worrying.
Why is it worrying? These players have played together since preseason. Alexis has been here a couple of weeks. Different levels in quality as well.

Catron

He didn't shoot because he was facing 90 degrees away from goal. It was impossible to shoot at the goal without coming around the ball first like he did.

He would have 99% missed if he tried to shoot at the first angle, you just have to praise Newcastle for not giving it up.
That is the worst excuse I have ever heard. Imagine that was Mikhi who done that instead of Sanchez no way anyone would be saying that

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickdog

Supports
Chilean National team
That is the worst excuse I have ever heard. Imagine that was Mikhi who done that instead of Sanchez no way anyone would be saying that
Mikhi never would have made that long cross, run towards the goal, and play the ball in perfect timing to leave both the defender whom was stuck to him and the goalkeeper behind, so no point in putting out foolish comparisons in the first place.

As posted by the @Adam-Utd , after Alexis did that brilliant body movement play on both the goalkepper and his defender, the ball was not in front of him but slightly behind, reasons why he did not have a clear shot on goal (unless you pretend that instead of kicking the ball directly, to goal, he attempts to punt it with his back heel instead), as he was forced to make a circle around the ball before actually playing it, which gave enough time to the defenders getting in position to cover his shot. As the OP also suggested, you got to praise the Newcastle defenders that never gave up on that play and got there in perfect timing to cover Alexis's shot.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Alexis is a disruptor at United and it's going to be a while until the dust settles and we understand the true benefits of the lad. I'm not saying that he's not good - he's clearly going to be amazing for us. What I am talking about is the impact of his signing on the rest of the team. We haven't bought him on 1st July and got a full pre-season to bed him in - we need to work out what works as we go along.

It's clearly going to have a significant impact to the 'normal' first 11 starting. Alexis will take one of the front four berths but who will take the other two (assuming Lukaku has got the other locked down). This isn't just going to be 'who's the fastest', or 'who's got the best tricks', but more who has the best relationship with Pogba, Alexis and Lukaku.

We have Lingard, Rashford, Martial and Mata fighting over two spots - possibly one if as I hope we continue to put Pogba at the head of a midfield three. With Alexis instigating such a change I'm not sure we are supporters are going to be able to have much valid analysis for a while and will have to trust in Jose and what he sees on the training ground.

Of the four on first look I could see Mata struggling for game time but it may well go in completely the opposite direction. With Alexis having so much urgency and flair, who is able to make and receive pinpoint passes, you may well be looking for someone who will gel with this. Lingard, Rashford and Martial have often shown either an inability to look up or an inability to thread the pinpoint pass. Mata might well end up higher up the pecking order.

One thing for sure, not having to *always* rely on the these options from the start but more giving them rotation from the bench can only be a good thing for Man Utd and these players. Let them grow into form, rather than playing them anyway when they are not.
What I would question is whether Sanchez is good enough to merit all of the disruption his arrival will now evidently cause. He's 29 and we had two of the best prospects in all of world football in that same position.

Our lack of medium and long term planning in the transfer market is a real concern, and in no position is this more evident than on the left wing. We bought Depay, one of the best young prospects as an inside left forward, then at the end of the same transfer window we bought Martial, one of the best young prospects as an inside left forward. Fast forward five or so months, injury crisis, Rashford steps up, and now we realise we have another one of the best young prospects as an inside left forward. Something was going to have to give and Depay was sold. Fast forward a year or two, Martial and Rashford are doing fine and everyone agrees that it is the right side of the attack that has been neglected and needs investment. Sanchez, a great inside left forward, albeit one probably just the wrong side of his peak becomes available and we now buy him. We hope there is some vision there from the manager and the club to best mesh Sanchez with our existing cohort, but instead Sanchez is given his preferred role and the others are made to carve out a new niche. We are now no stronger than we were previously and are making the futures of Martial and Rashford less certain. This is especially problematic with a manger like Mourinho who will play his stars 90 minutes every time.

In all this time, we have not bought anyone for the right side of the pitch. Even some of our central midfielders, prefer playing on the left of centre, both Pogba and Matic.

I was excited about Sanchez, but now it is sheer apathy. United are still going to be the same as they have been for the past two years: threatening cutting in from the left flank, no threat on the right and a distinct lack of overlapping full backs. None of our attacking options were good on the right until now, so why would it now be any different? Lukaku is our our best fecking option at attacking the right flank and swinging a cross in.

*This is not knee jerk to yesterday. I thought we were very unfortunate not to score and ultimately win.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Sanchez played well yesterday him and Lukaku had a decent link up going forward.

How people are acting like that was anything but an open goal is absolutely insane though, in disbelief at some of the things I've read on here:lol::lol::lol::lol: He tried being way too flash and thought if he faked shooting defenders would dive or it would give him an extra half yard. All he had to do was sidefoot it in.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Why is it worrying? These players have played together since preseason. Alexis has been here a couple of weeks. Different levels in quality as well.
The point being that these players didn't end up making the big difference in quality we were all hoping for. Instead they were sucked into the prevailing mediocrity. I do hope this doesn't happen yet again in the case of Sanchez.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The point being that these players didn't end up making the big difference in quality we were all hoping for. Instead they were sucked into the prevailing mediocrity. I do hope this doesn't happen yet again in the case of Sanchez.
Even when Mata joined in 2013, it took him a few games to settle in and he ended up having a really good end to the season. Sanchez looks a cut above the rest so its just a case of when he settles and the others adjust to his style i.e. persistent attacking.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Even when Mata joined in 2013, it took him a few games to settle in and he ended up having a really good end to the season. Sanchez looks a cut above the rest so its just a case of when he settles and the others adjust to his style i.e. persistent attacking.
I know but what I'm saying is that didn't we expect Mata (and others who followed) to make more of a difference than they have done? Since we signed him United have finished seventh, fourth, fifth and sixth and I for one expected these players to have had a far greater positive impact than that given the amount of money we spent on them.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Sanchez impact is clear isn't it? There is virtually no indication that Sanchez is 'dropping' his level towards the other players. There is actually an indication of the opposite...he is always one step ahead. Funnily enough, the player that plays on his wavelength the best is our resident 'donkey' Lukaku who is supposed to be a crap footballer.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Sanchez impact is clear isn't it? There is virtually no indication that Sanchez is 'dropping' his level towards the other players. There is actually an indication of the opposite...he is always one step ahead. Funnily enough, the player that plays on his wavelength the best is our resident 'donkey' Lukaku who is supposed to be a crap footballer.
We've made this same mistake before and had our hopes dashed as a consequence on more than one occasion. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We've made this same mistake before and had our hopes dashed as consequence on more than one occasion. That's all I'm saying.
That's true, but the only player to really have that happen to them under the current manager is Mkhitaryan...and we swapped him for Alexis Sanchez :lol:

Di Maria didn't even want to be here, Falcao was coming from a long term injury, Schweinsteiger was finished physically.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I know but what I'm saying is that didn't we expect Mata (and others who followed) to make more of a difference than they have done? Since we signed him United have finished seventh, fourth, fifth and sixth and I for one expected these players to have had a far greater positive impact than that given the amount of money we spent on them.
Ah, fair enough. Guess we'll see.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Alexis Sanchez is the cover star, following his eagerly awaited arrival from Arsenal last month, and the Reds’ new no.7 has his own dedicated section in the March edition of the club’s official magazine.

A highlight of the 16-page special is a fascinating account by football journalist Sheridan Bird, who has followed Alexis’s career closely, in this instance focusing on the Chilean’s precocious early exploits in South America and his journey to the top.

It features the reflections of Italian journalist Pietro Oleotto, who tracked the progress of Alexis during the forward’s time with Udinese in Serie A and describes how he became the man he is today by improving his physical attributes.

“In his first season, he [Alexis] was skinny and stayed on the right wing a lot,” Oleotto recalls. “The physicality in the penalty area was too much for him. But the team needed him more central, closer to the goal, to make the most of his dribbling.

“So he began improving his body and they built him an ad-hoc gym. He worked out for two hours a day after training. I remember seeing him halfway through pre-season training camp and being shocked by how much muscle he had put on.”

Further illustrating the star's commitment, he went on: “Once, after training, Alexis drove into Udine to do some shopping. But he accidentally locked his keys and mobile phone in his car.

"I'm not sure what most people would have done, but he just ran home. He jogged the 8km from the heart of the city to his house in the hills. Bemused locals saw him in his club tracksuit running and called us at the paper. It was typical of Alexis to turn the situation into an improvised cross-country run.”
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...e-in-the-latest-edition-of-Inside-United.aspx

That's just awesome.

svastian99

Hector Bellerin admits Alexis Sanchez could 'demand too much' at Arsenal and explains non-celebration of goal in December was to talk tactics, not snub
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rin-explains-Alexis-Sanchez-snubbed-goal.html

'(Sanchez is) one of the best in the Premier League for sure but he is a player who always wants to win,' said Bellerin.
'He demands from everyone, sometimes it can be too much. The great thing is he wants to win, to give 100 per cent,' he added.

different mentalities

Deleted member 101472

Can any arsenal fans tell me if he was as animated with his hands for them? Getting a bit sick of him pointing, waving, gesticulating after EVERY move. You weren’t bought to be a leader mate you were bought to get the ball and make things happen.

Dinghy

Mkhitaryan'ish performance so far. Could it be the manager and the tactics...

el3mel

Can any arsenal fans tell me if he was as animated with his hands for them? Getting a bit sick of him pointing, waving, gesticulating after EVERY move. You weren’t bought to be a leader mate you were bought to get the ball and make things happen.
Definitely better than sulking around not caring about what happen on the pitch just to appear classy.

JoaquinJoaquin

I rather have Martial on the left. Every day of the week.
I wouldn't. Martial is so inconsistent it's beyond a joke. Still don't understand how he has a cult following on here considering Nani got killed on here and was much better.

Eddy_JukeZ

People on here always clamor for leaders and then don't like it when someone tries to lead.

I am confused.

diplomat

It's obvious we don't play to Sanchez's strengths at all. Don't our players train incisive passing with quick play to bypass a pressing side?

Status
Not open for further replies.