5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

It's possibly in his contract that if fit he starts. I was delighted when we signed him but i'm starting to think he's more hassle than he's worth, i'd either play him wide right or as a 10. The left wing has to be Martial's.
I've read this sort of thing before (I think it was mentioned in relation to Rooney's always starting under LVG.) If there is any truth to the idea that a club the size of United is including such guarantees in contracts in order to entice players (and I'm not convinced that such clauses exist,) then Woodward and whoever is responsible for it needs to go right away. On-field performance is the only measurement that should be used to decide if/when a player plays.

Rajma

I honestly would try playing him as a false 9 (ala Firminho) instead of Lukaku with Rashford and Lingard by his side providing running in behind, interchanging, swapping positions etc, certainly feel it would add more dynamic.

Canagel

I really don't understand what the feck he is doing from the left flank, he is always cutting inside and occupying the central positions and he left he entire left wing to the right footed Ashley fecking Young meaning there was zero width on the left side and our right side is utterly non existent.

I still don't understand why he is not being played behind Lukaku and get Rashford or Martial in the left side, Lingard for all his skill is utterly incompetent at finding passes through the middle, which Sanchez is capable of.
I can't believe we signed him to play LW when we already had Martial and Rashford rotating and performing well there. Where is the logic in this? This signing has destroyed both their seasons. I don't think he's good enough to play out wide. He always drops too deep and doesn't take his man on. The chipped ball over the top is getting annoying too. I'd like to see him tried as the main striker like at Arsenal for once. Like a false 9. With Martial and either Rashford/Lingard. Give us a different dynamic in attack. He can press from the front better than Lukaku but for me having both Sanchez and Lukaku taking up two of the three attacking spots is problematic. Only one should start upfront and then we need to invest in some proper wingers. That would be the best solution but I can't see Mourinho doing that.

Rajma

I can't believe we signed him to play LW when we already had Martial and Rashford rotating and performing well there. Where is the logic in this? This signing has destroyed both their seasons. I don't think he's good enough to play out wide. He always drops too deep and doesn't take his man on. The chipped ball over the top is getting annoying too. I'd like to see him tried as the main striker like at Arsenal for once. He can press from the front better than Lukaku but for me having both Sanchez and Lukaku taking up two of the three attacking spots is problematic. Only one should start upfront and then we need to invest in some proper wingers. That would be the best solution but I can't see Mourinho doing that.
Yes, see my post just above yours, this is what I want to see as well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I've read this sort of thing before (I think it was mentioned in relation to Rooney's always starting under LVG.) If there is any truth to the idea that a club the size of United is including such guarantees in contracts in order to entice players (and I'm not convinced that such clauses exist,) then Woodward and whoever is responsible for it needs to go right away. On-field performance is the only measurement that should be used to decide if/when a player plays.
of course that's bs. Rooney signed contract under Moyes and was dropped for so many games under Jose.

Canagel

Yes, see my post just above yours, this is what I want to see as well.
I certainly think it has potential but Mourinho isn't going to do it. Lukaku is a player with untouchable status in the team. Same as Matic, Valencia. Basically no-one can play upfront instead of him. It's OK to switch things up a bit. You might stumble on something one day and it becomes the best solution. I want to see Martial upfront again too. We saw him at the beginning of 15/16 what he was doing to defenders playing upfront. He can hold the ball up better than Lukaku and I think he has ice cold composure too. An interchanging front three is something I like.

Trizy

He's been far from good since signing. If anything he's fecked things up for Martial & Rashford's playing time.

Only positive is, if we sell him, we'll make money.

Early days and all that...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is here two months. And people say that he is flop and want him gone. Bloody hell, this is unbelievable.

Goochy

Supports
Liverpool
He's been far from good since signing. If anything he's fecked things up for Martial & Rashford's playing time.

Only positive is, if we sell him, we'll make money.

Early days and all that...
That's actually quite funny. There is no way he's ever leaving Man Utd mate in the next 4 years. No chance whatsoever.

R'hllor

In his current state, dont understand why he isnt shifted on the right, he can have same level on performance and open a slot on the left.

backtowhiteside

...................De Gea..................

Valencia...Bailly...Lindelöf...Shaw

.....................Matic...................

........Alexis.................Pogba......

...Mata........Rashford......Martial...

Maybe Sanchez and Paul won't step on to each others toes. Sanchez linking good with Mata.

Last edited by a moderator:

Acole9

Outstanding
On paper he could and should be our star player, he really needs a full season with us.

manunited1919

Regardless of whether he eventually settles and becomes a good/great player for us, signing him in January has been an unmitigated disaster. I honestly wish we hadn’t signed him.

Sterling Archer

On paper he could and should be our star player, he really needs a full season with us.
I think he showed two sides of the coin between the City and West Brom matches.

The former is how effective he can be, the latter how poor when he is trying too hard.

It feels very much like he wants to pull the entire team up by the scruff of the neck...but drops us half the time. It's the right attitude we need but he is barely in form (as expected of a Jan transfer that stagnated w transfer rumors all summer and a poor start w Arse).

Full pre season and we will see a star reborn.

manunited1919

You wonder if that money could have spent a bit more wisely
It’s not just the money, but the whole balance of the team has been trown off. We may end up losing Pogba, Martial and possibly even Rashford due to signing him and playing him at his favorite position. It’s like 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards.

Dr. StrangeHate

He is here two months. And people say that he is flop and want him gone. Bloody hell, this is unbelievable.
I think its more to do with the fact that he will go downhill in few years but he will cause the decline and eventual sale of the only two young talents (Martial and Rashford) we have.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Regardless of whether he eventually settles and becomes a good/great player for us, signing him in January has been an unmitigated disaster. I honestly wish we hadn’t signed him.
Well that’s just nonsense. With or without him, the season would have panned out more or less the same. CL qualification and not much more. And if he starts next season like a house on fire then a big factor will have been the settling in period this season.

ti vu

I think its more to do with the fact that he will go downhill in few years but he will cause the decline and eventual sale of the only two young talents (Martial and Rashford) we have.
Within those few years, if Alexis can contribute at top level, then it's moot points. We're here to run as a club. We're not academy. Having successful young players is bonus, but not the sole reason, or we're quickly turn into the Arsenal of few years back waiting for youngsters to fulfill early promise which many never did while others grew impatient and left. Young players with potential is great but nothing to guarantee they would meet expectation when the time comes that they're not considered young players anymore. So it is all down to the mentality. If they have the right desire to want to stay with the club to fight for the position, they will stay. If player is just about taking care of their own benefit, then we can accommodate only and only if he's one of the best around and that same player has his own drive to push himself regardless circumstances. So if that's the case do we even have this discussion about game time?

Alexis is getting some slack because it's reasonable to expect harder time to adapt to new team as January signing. He shows glimpses of what he is capable at his best as well as showing most of the time that he has the desire to fight. If his competitor can't show the capability to overshadow Alexis' glimpses of quality and work rate, then can't say about deserving more gametime

Last edited:

Dr. StrangeHate

Within those few years, if Alexis can contribute at top level, then it's moot points. We're here to run as a club. We're not academy. Having successful young players is bonus, but not the sole reason, or we're quickly turn into the Arsenal of few years back waiting for youngsters to fulfill early promise which many never did while others grew impatient and left. Young players with potential is great but nothing to guarantee they would meet expectation when the time comes that they're not considered young players anymore. So it is all down to the mentality. If they have the right desire to want to stay with the club to fight for the position, they will stay. If player is just about taking care of their own benefit, then we can accommodate only and only if he's one of the best around and that same player has his own drive to push himself regardless circumstances. So if that's the case do we even have this discussion about game time?
Martial pushed himself got into form and then was cast aside to accommodate an out of form Sanchez, why should he push himself here when he knows there is little point as Sanchez will start regardless of his form.

clarkydaz

It’s not just the money, but the whole balance of the team has been trown off. We may end up losing Pogba, Martial and possibly even Rashford due to signing him and playing him at his favorite position. It’s like 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards.
and when jose arrived he said what LVG had left him with was an unbalanced team/squad

ti vu

Martial pushed himself got into form and then was cast aside to accommodate an out of form Sanchez, why should he push himself here when he knows there is little point as Sanchez will start regardless of his form.
Question is whether Martial good form is good enough to overshadow Alexis. Look at glimpses of Alexis' quality, it's overshadow Martal's best. Let's not pretend Martial being consistent over the while period. It's not new he has one good game/ cameo, to have a meh one in the next.

MoskvaRed

He’s been dreadful so far. While it would be harsh to write him off at this stage, he does need to hit top form starting in the new season in August. You buy players at his age and on such massive wages for short term impact, not to have debates about settling in like De Gea in 2011 or Vidic in 2006.

manunited1919

Well that’s just nonsense. With or without him, the season would have panned out more or less the same. CL qualification and not much more. And if he starts next season like a house on fire then a big factor will have been the settling in period this season.
You might not agree it has been a disaster, but our team balance was completely upset.
I think we would have beaten Sevilla over 2 legs. Pogba would not be having the issues he is having, and Martial would have continued his development. As it seems, we are at risk of losing both these talented players over the summer.

Sensei

Supports
Dortmund
Question is whether Martial good form is good enough to overshadow Alexis. Look at glimpses of Alexis' quality, it's overshadow Martal's best. Let's not pretend Martial being consistent over the while period. It's not new he has one good game/ cameo, to have a meh one in the next.
And Alexis??

ti vu

And Alexis??
Glad to see you again in another post. Still missed the point as the other.

Look up Alexis stats from last season. Point is he had evidence he had much more to offer. Even this season with all the set back he is not exactly worse. His top performance via glimpses for us overshadow Martial's

el3mel

I'm willing to give him a pass this season but any more of this performance next season and it'll be better to part away with him all honestly. He's not young and won't be at his peak for long, 1 or 2 more years so he needs to perform at the peak level starting from next season, otherwise won't be worth all this wages and salary let's be honest. He's not someone young to be patient with him starting from next season. This one will be a pass.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I'm willing to give him a pass this season but any more of this performance next season and it'll be better to part away with him all honestly. He's not young and won't be at his peak for long, 1 or 2 more years so he needs to perform at the peak level starting from next season, otherwise won't be worth all this wages and salary let's be honest. He's not someone young to be patient with him starting from next season. This one will be a pass.
Will be very difficult selling him on his wages if he performs like this next season.

Camilo

...................De Gea..................

Valencia...Bailly...Lindelöf...Shaw

.....................Matic...................

........Alexis.................Pogba......

...Mata........Rashford......Martial...

Maybe Sanchez and Paul won't step on to each others toes. Sanchez linking good with Mata.
The new Rooney! He'll be better deeper!

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
From the Mou thread:
[...]

* Alexis Sanchez has been dispossessed (tackled by an opponent without attempting to dribble past them) more times in nine appearances (29) than Marcus Rashford (24), Juan Mata (19) and Jesse Lingard (14) all season.

* Alexis Sanchez has lost the ball with a poor touch more times in nine appearances (25) than Juan Mata (22) all season.
[...]
That seems pretty damning stuff for one of the highest paid players in the league.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
From the Mou thread:

That seems pretty damning stuff for one of the highest paid players in the league.
No it isn't. He was the similar last season...and the season before...and the season before.

Bayern even wanted him last season when he lost the ball more than almost every player in the world.

ROFLUTION

From the Mou thread:

To be fair Mata always plays the safe pass. Can't remember the last time he tried something really daring. Sanchez' output is not great at the moment though.

Ban

You might not agree it has been a disaster, but our team balance was completely upset.
I think we would have beaten Sevilla over 2 legs. Pogba would not be having the issues he is having, and Martial would have continued his development. As it seems, we are at risk of losing both these talented players over the summer.
We didn't lose to Sevilla cause of Alexis or no Alexis and what issues exactly Pogba is having related to Alexis?

To say we will lose Pogba cause if Alexis is silly to say the least.

This thread is absolutely golden. There's even talk about when will we sell him.

ROFLUTION

To have an overview of where he is and where he needs to get at, I thought I wanted to compare him to a leading similar role - Wayne Rooney

Sanchez this season:
9 Premier League games and these are his outputs:
2 goals, 4 assists

So he basically delivers a goal or assist in 2 out of 3 games. It's not that bad, but if you compare it to a leading role like Rooney in his best seasons he contributes with a goal or an assist pr game. This is where Sanchez needs to be:

Rooney - Premier League, some of his prime:
2013/2014: 27 games - 17 goals, 10 assists (+ 2 subs)
2012/2013: 22 games - 12 goals, 10 assists (+ 5 subs)
2011/2012: 32 games - 27 goals , 4 assists (+ 2 subs)
2010/2011: 25 games - 11 goals, 11 assists (+ 3 subs)

.. Needs to be considered that Fergie's team had overall better players and attacking style, but Sanchez should be delivering either a goal or an assist pr game from next season. I see this season as a process of gelling with the other players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We didn't lose to Sevilla cause of Alexis or no Alexis and what issues exactly Pogba is having related to Alexis?

This thread is absolutely golden. There's even talk about when will we sell him.
Amazing isn't it? After City game it was all about how Sanchez and Pogba will link up as Sanchez can find Pogba's runs, now Sanchez is the elephant who is occupying Pogba's position.

Ban

Amazing isn't it? After City game it was all about how Sanchez and Pogba will link up as Sanchez can find Pogba's runs, now Sanchez is the elephant who is occupying Pogba's position.
I just love this making things up stuff. Suddenly half the team wants out cause of Alexis.

manunited1919

There’s no need to get all upset and defensive about this. You are entitled to your opinion, so am I.

The exact nature of the issues Pogba is having due to Alexis we can’t really know, as we are not in the team trainings and don’t have such information. What we do know is that Pogba was the main star for MUFC, and had never been benched before. Since Alexis came, Pogba has been benched and subbed several times, and it’s plain to see in the expression on his face that he doesn’t like it. You may not agree, but Alexis on the left has caused problems for team balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.