Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So far, he’s head and shoulders clear of being the biggest flop in the clubs history. Needs to sort his game out or will go down as the biggest flop ever.
Cant argue with this to be honest. People like to say it's Veron but Sanchez can only dream of putting in some of the performances Veron did

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
For me, Sanchez has been the most disappointing signing since I've supported the club.

I just expected so much more from him and I was thrilled we managed to offload Mkhitaryan.

I hate that I can even spell Mkhitaryan without needing to Google it. The bastard made me learn his name, put in (mostly) rubbish performances, and then left.

MiceOnMeth

For me, Sanchez has been the most disappointing signing since I've supported the club.

I just expected so much more from him and I was thrilled we managed to offload Mkhitaryan.

I hate that I can even spell Mkhitaryan without needing to Google it. The bastard made me learn his name, put in (mostly) rubbish performances, and then left.
What makes the Sanchez one hurt even more is we should have signed him instead of Di Maria that summer for half the price and then when we do actually get him he's arguably an even bigger flop

Water Melon

Never change your sense of humour, Sir :D

Andersons Dietician

I ended up memorising it as this Mk-hit-a-ryan so I feel your grievances.

Sanchez has been very underwhelming and I still want to give him a chance and right his time off here as the Jose factor but could be hard to get game time and be effective but will be intresting to see if he starts against Arsenal given its importance and his lack of match fitness.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Cant argue with this to be honest. People like to say it's Veron but Sanchez can only dream of putting in some of the performances Veron did
Veron is head and shoulders above Sanchez and Di Maria for me.

Big couple of months for Sanchez because he actually has a chance to turn it around in a better set up for his skillset. It's on him now to prove he's better than what he's shown just like some other players already have.

I'd give him a go on the right or at the tip of a diamond because Rashford isn't being taken out and I don't see Martial coming out of the 11.

el3mel

Big couple of months for Sanchez because he actually has a chance to turn it around in a better set up for his skillset. It's on him now to prove he's better than what he's shown just like some other players already have.

I'd give him a go on the right or at the tip of a diamond because Rashford isn't being taken out and I don't see Martial coming out of the 11.
Di Maria himself is head and shoulders ahead of Sanchez when it comes to United. He was sulking around but he was our top assist maker in the season he spent here with 10-11 assists.

Last edited:

Marcus

I can't wait for Sanchez to catch fire while playing Ole's attack-minded football. And be transformed into the dominant player we all expected him to be.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I can't wait for Sanchez to catch fire while playing Ole's attack-minded football. And be transformed into the dominant player we all expected him to be.
Why do you think he will?

What has he shown to suggest he will?

Every piece of evidence has suggested that his pace and acceleration have gone so hoping/wishing that he'll suddenly transform into something he isn't physically capable of being anymore is exactly what we did with Rooney and we did that for far too long.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Him playing in the Lingard role of the last few games would be interesting to see at least.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Lets retire the number 7 shirt once and for all. I feel we could give it to Rashford but then again, why risk it. Let this guy play with another shirt and if he still sucks then sell him.

Marcus

Every piece of evidence has suggested that his pace and acceleration have gone so hoping/wishing that he'll suddenly transform into something he isn't physically capable of being anymore is exactly what we did with Rooney and we did that for far too long.
Sanchez is not just a speed merchant. He has skills and work ethic in abundance. He struggles in a team which has static players because this means all his passes will need to be pin point as static players are easily marked. Let's see how this goes. On the Rooney point, he has much better close control than Rooney.

ROFLUTION

To be fair, he's been alright in the 2 games under Ole so far before he got injured. 2 assists in 118 minutes.

Jeffthered

He has been a huge disappointment, and rather embarrassing for the club really. BUT.. I am sure he knows that, and Ole/Phelan definitely know that.. so let's see what he gives for the rest of the season.

The frustrating thing, is that we all know that a fit Alexis Sanchez playing well, would both compliment our team, and would probably ensure a top four, possibly even chase down a third spot, and a solid Cup run. He would also take a huge pressure of Paul Pogba, and to a slightly lesser degree, Herrera and Matic (who has been superb under Ole by the way.. playing his natural game, which is far more imaginative)

When playing well, Sanchez is a transformative player, when he plays, because he has a great impact on the game. He's a leader.. doesn't need Pogba etc to play well, or set the tempo... in so, so, so many ways, he could take our excellent recent performances, up another level. Exactly what we need. So let's hope he can a: keep fit, and b: apply himself.

If he played superbly, and then wanted to leave in the summer, I would probably take that. Ease that wage bill, and try look elsewhere for that energy for an emerging or established player. See how Chong develops, or look at Brooks at Bournemouth etc

CG1010

Giggs in his last 4-5 years of his career was frustrating in his own way by constantly losing balls, etc., But he also helped us unlock defences many at times and his experience was crucial in an attack which was quite young. Hopefully at the minimum, Sanchez can play the role of Giggs (without playing in the CM!), and guide the likes of Martial, Rashford, Lukaku and Lingard.

Trizy

I still have some hope for him. Since Jose's sacking all our players loom way better and surely Sanchez will be no difference. He has had his injuries of late which is stopping us from seeing if he can do it or not.

I don't get the ''lost a yard of pace'' argument either, he's just turned 30 ffs.

RedFin

I don't get why most are ready to give up on Alexis. Yes he has been shit for a year but that year was with Mourinho. Now the playing style actually is really well suited for Alexis and i think if he can get himself fit again he will be much closer to the Arsenal Alexis for us.

I just hope he will replace Lingard in the lineup and not Martial. Nothing against Lingard but i feel the attack would get much better with Alexis instead of Lingard

BigBebe

I think he would be suited to playing alongside Pogba, Rashford and Martial. Unfortunately for him on Friday night, he could very well find himself playing alongside Lukaku, Mata and a less creative midfielder which is probably the last thing Sanchez needs.

PeteManic

I would give him the benefit of the doubt. He always seemed a very professional and serious guy. And he looked as embarrassed and frustrated as anyone since he's arrived. We'll see.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So far, he’s head and shoulders clear of being the biggest flop in the clubs history. Needs to sort his game out or will go down as the biggest flop ever.
For me, it has to be Shaw, who was terrible for 3.5 years of his time at MUFC.
We paid a big transfer fee (Sanchez didn't cost as much), though Sanchez does receive bigger wages. Shaw was the most expensive LB in the World, when he arrived.
For me Shaw needs to deliver great performances, for the next 3-4 years, to balance what he did when he first arrived.
If Sanchez continues to suck for another year, then I think he will overtake Shaw in the "waste of money" stakes, though that assumes that Shaw still plays decent and does not get injured.

In saying this, I expect far more from Sanchez and under Solkjaer I do hope he delivers.

tomaldinho1

Biggest issue is that other players will be using him as a reference with salary negotiations, if we can shift him I think that's the best option.

tomaldinho1

We paid a big transfer fee (Sanchez didn't cost as much), though Sanchez does receive bigger wages. Shaw was the most expensive LB in the World, when he arrived.
For me Shaw needs to deliver great performances, for the next 3-4 years, to balance what he did when he first arrived.
If Sanchez continues to suck for another year, then I think he will overtake Shaw in the "waste of money" stakes, though that assumes that Shaw still plays decent and does not get injured.

In saying this, I expect far more from Sanchez and under Solkjaer I do hope he delivers.
Your biggest flop is our current LB? A player who had a whole season injured and then a whole season of being bullied by Mourinho and not playing? He's not lighting up the league by any standards but is probably a solid 6/10 LB at worst.

Even if he'd come with the reputation of Roberto Carlos he'd be less of a flop than Di Maria, Sanchez and Depay.

Davie Moyes

I really worry about this guy. I've seen next to nothing in a whole year from him to be able to get excited. Easily the biggest disappointment as a big signing for Utd. Physically he has lost pace and acceleration ... his body is shot. So much reminds me of Rooney at the end or Falcao where it's clear their minds are trying to do one thing, however the body does not follow or respond.

Compared to other big signings Di Maria was unplayable for a short time whilst Seba Veron looked like the best midfielder in the world at the beginning of his Utd career. Whilst Seba's league form then plummeted he was consistently really good in the Champions League ... do you remember the 3-0 win away at Juve where Giggs stole the limelight with a couple of individual goals, however it was Veron who was running the game and it was so obvious Juve were sh*t scared of him.

BurtSpangle

I think he has to be given a chance under Ole. None of our attacking players looked good consistently under Mourinho. Would be very rash to bin off one of our few potential world class players because he hasn't performed under a manager no-one performed well under.

Verminator

I think he has to be given a chance under Ole. None of our attacking players looked good consistently under Mourinho. Would be very rash to bin off one of our few potential world class players because he hasn't performed under a manager no-one performed well under.
I don't know why you feel the need to say this.
He's never going to be binned without having a fair crack at it.

BurtSpangle

I don't know why you feel the need to say this.
He's never going to be binned without having a fair crack at it.
Moreso from the fans point of view. Many seemed to have binned him already in their minds because we've won a few games in a row.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13

You know, not once have I read something you’ve posted and agreed to it, or shared the same opinion.

That’s not a bad thing of course, this is a forum after all.

However I think calling Shaw the biggest flop in the clubs history is bizarre and completely unwarranted.

Last edited:

Revaulx

You know, not once have I read something you’ve posted and agreed to it or shared the same opinion.

That’s not a bad thing of course, this is a forum after all.

However I think calling Shaw the biggest flop in the clubs history is bizarre and completely unwarranted.
Well I’ve agreed with plenty, and I’ve got serious doubts about Shaw.

Biggest flop though? Nowhere near. Birtles? Di Maria?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If you think Sanchez record of 13 goals and assists in 32 games is bad, you must not have experienced Forlan going 30 games before his 1st goal (might not be an exact figure but he took an age to score for us and barely scored at all).

soapythecat

Shaw and Sanchez as our biggest flops? :lol:

Must be new fans
Sanchez has cost the club upwards of £20+ million in wages alone since signing. Regardless of injuries, he has been dog turd. If you are comparing him to flops like Forlan and Co then you need to look at the bigger picture. IMO, Sanchez is our biggest flop when you consider all factors.
Not sure how Shaw made this list though.

Status
Not open for further replies.