Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazza

I still have reservations about signing Alexis Sanchez. Main reason is that his best play seems to come from the same areas Martial plays in. I'd much rather Martial continue his development in the left-forward role if it were a choice between him playing and not. Some people have said we're going to play Sanchez on the right but he won't be coming here to play in a position he doesn't feel makes best use of his talents, and I'd hope we're not investing big money in a square peg for a round hole. I can't really recall either him or Martial being effective on the right, so I feel signing Alexis would not solve the problem on the right side and would potentially create an issue on the left side. If @Invictus can post a formation that makes best use of Sanchez, Martial, and Pogba, then I'll be excited. Or perhaps there are some games people can point to in which Sanchez has torn it up on the right hand side?

The wider question I have is to what extent we have planned this signing out from a squad development point of view, as opposed to the idea that we had already made plans for the summer and only seriously started considering this Sanchez possibility in recent days/weeks when word got out that City were equivocating? You'd imagine that if it's the latter, we're potentially rethinking our plans for the summer and beyond. That could turn out well. But I'd be forever curious about what Jose had planned for this summer if we hadn't had the chance to sign Sanchez.

The money is not really an issue for me, although there are clearly potential downsides to offering a 29 year old the highest salary in the league on a 4.5 year deal. In its simplest terms, Mikhi out and Sanchez is a clear improvement, but I'm not sure it will necessarily be the best long term move we could make.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just had the ‘she can’t take the strain captain’ pop up. Thought we’d signed him.

deafepl

Pathetic Daily mail, they put headline news claiming that we are expected to complete stunning £180m Sanchez deal tomorrow.

Klopp_De_Klown

Pogs plays on the left Sanchez through the middle and who ya like on the right... Lings right now

Martial or Lukaku up top?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Will most likely be announced tomorrow morning. If we leave it any longer he won’t be able to play at the weekend which would be stupid to allow happen when it’s seemingly been a certainty for days.

izec

Cant wait to have this wrapped up and focus on his sporting achievements, the fecking media are sucking out the joy with their hyperbolic financial coverage

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pathetic Daily mail, they put headline news claiming that we are expected to complete stunning £180m Sanchez deal tomorrow.
Under the article, they say Arsenal are about to sign Auba for 53m.
It's like a concerted effort by the media to wind us up.

Rajma

I know. I wonder if that's accurate, such a long contract for his age. Makes total sense on his part, not so much on ours. I'd be very confident that we'd get 2 and a half top seasons from him, not sure about how he'll be at 32-33 given how much he's played, most summers etc. and the intensity with which he plays.

Anyone know what his dedication is like, in keeping himself in shape, diet etc.?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I still have reservations about signing Alexis Sanchez. Main reason is that his best play seems to come from the same areas Martial plays in. I'd much rather Martial continue his development in the left-forward role if it were a choice between him playing and not. Some people have said we're going to play Sanchez on the right but he won't be coming here to play in a position he doesn't feel makes best use of his talents, and I'd hope we're not investing big money in a square peg for a round hole. I can't really recall either him or Martial being effective on the right, so I feel signing Alexis would not solve the problem on the right side and would potentially create an issue on the left side. If @Invictus can post a formation that makes best use of Sanchez, Martial, and Pogba, then I'll be excited. Or perhaps there are some games people can point to in which Sanchez has torn it up on the right hand side?

The wider question I have is to what extent we have planned this signing out from a squad development point of view, as opposed to the idea that we had already made plans for the summer and only seriously started considering this Sanchez possibility in recent days/weeks when word got out that City were equivocating? You'd imagine that if it's the latter, we're potentially rethinking our plans for the summer and beyond. That could turn out well. But I'd be forever curious about what Jose had planned for this summer if we hadn't had the chance to sign Sanchez.

The money is not really an issue for me, although there are clearly potential downsides to offering a 29 year old the highest salary in the league on a 4.5 year deal. In its simplest terms, Mikhi out and Sanchez is a clear improvement, but I'm not sure it will necessarily be the best long term move we could make.
Hey buddy,

I'm of pretty similar opinion. The only position I can think Sanchez would be deployed without being a hindrance to Martial's progress is as a second striker or alternatively Martial moving to second striker role. I've not seen Sanchez play much on the right and like you mention that's our weakest position. This could also end Griezemann pursuit.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands

This is how empty my Thursday night is.

Moiraine

ok thats it, I am going to bed now,
We will not be able to register him by tomorrow mid day, he ain't playing against Burnley, we are going to loose points away to Burnley and more ground to City and all other clubs fighting for top 4 will win and and and ...

(that is the worst that could happen)

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
We will not be able to register him by tomorrow mid day, he ain't playing against Burnley, we are going to loose points away to Burnley and more ground to City and all other clubs fighting for top 4 will win and and and ...

You must be fun at parties.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Sad but true.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
I bet Lingard would get himself banned on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.