Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sami Mokbel fot the Mail who's good quite good for Arsenal news reckons he's heading here.

Rednotdead

It's close to decision time. He's definitely moving this month.
I'd think if he's joining us we'll hear within the next couple of days or so. The longer it goes on, the more chance he's going to City. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Josep Dowling

The big difference is that (as our own manager alluded to) City have outspent everyone else and show little sign of needing to stop doing so. Whereas Chelsea had a rather backwards transfer window following their PL win. That's been a big problem for them, especially given that (unlike City) they won the league on a very thin squad untroubled by CL demands.
I don’t think this is necessarily true. They spent a sizeable sum (can’t remember the exact figures but I think it was £150m), they just didn’t buy very well.

Apart from Morata all their buys were substitute type players. Which is just bizarre considering the array of good youngsters who can sit on the bench. Not a single one of their transfers in the summer strengthened their first 11.

Andersons Dietician

Reports are we’ve offered a much better deal than City and they can’t/won’t match it.

35mil to Arsenal
10mil agent fees
350k a week
And a reported 15mil sign on fee.

Now who knows if any of that is true but bet your bottom dollar if he chooses City it will be portrayed as a moral victory by the media and a player turning down money for the love of football and so on.

xMaravilla

Supports
Belgium
But is Sanchez satisfied by comming to us? Offcourse the paycheck does it, but like really giving 100% every match, I just hope so!!

Fergie's gum

Somany questions regarding where he fits, and what gaps are left to fill! What would his signing mean for Martial and Rashford? Will he play on the right of a front three? Will we still need a right winger, or right wingback? Does this mean Griezmann and Dybala are no longer required?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I will be interested to see how attractive City are as a club without Pep.

So many transfers is ‘he want to play for Pep’ not Manchester City. That seems to be their only lure is their manager.

My feelings are I understand why Sanchez would go to City. However he surely can’t feel any sense of achievement if he went there and won the league. Plus the fact there is no guarantee he will start. I imagine this would be an issue because that was the reason he left Barcelona.

We need him more than City. He can have the number 7. We can offer the same wages. There is a chance to win trophies as much as there is at City even though some supporters think their isn’t. I would be amazed if City blitz the league again next season like they have this year, a lot of the league seem to have already given up this season.
Agree with all of this except for the bit in bold.

I don't think there is as much chance to win trophies here as there is at City in the short-medium term. They have the better team and they have the money to continue to outspend us. That makes them more likely to win trophies imo. Something could certainly happen to see them drop off but then the same could also happen to us too. Odds-wise you'd have to back the better team if they're able to match everyone else financially.

On the other hand, it also seems we're probably in a position to offer Sanchez better wages than City, along with more gametime. So who knows?

rotherham_red

Reports are we’ve offered a much better deal than City and they can’t/won’t match it.

35mil to Arsenal
10mil agent fees
350k a week
And a reported 15mil sign on fee.

Now who knows if any of that is true but bet your bottom dollar if he chooses City it will be portrayed as a moral victory by the media and a player turning down money for the love of football and so on.
Yeah, the club who've spunked 400m in two seasons on a squad which already contained Silva, KDB and Aguero are the moral bastions of the game...:houllier:

izec

If a move is close, either City paid up, which i doubt or he i coming here, which looks more likely. That also means Arsenal are close to get Malcom

Rednotdead

You could sell it as we just wanted him more than City, but that doesn't really stick to the narrative the media have going on at the moment.
If he was 99% set on joining City it would have taken something extraordinary to change his mind so presumably that's what we're trying to do.

Worth trying, whether we get him or not. When the best players come on the market, if you've any ambition at all you've got to try regardless.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
If he does sign for us we get joy on three fronts; we get arsenalfantv having a meltdown, bluemoon melting down more than usual and we get a quality player.

Last edited:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Not to get hopes up as I reckon there's every chance he could go to city, but this is more to give another reason why he could chose United other than money. During the first epic Sanchezter united thread all those years ago which lasted all summer thanks to the copa america, it was revealed that Sanchez was a boyhood United fan.

Patrick220571

Way too much criticism of a valid point to an extent?

Is there something United can offer him that city cant? More money maybe.

Is there something City can offer him that United can't? A squad ready to win loads in his last few years on the top.

Its good to be proud, but good to be practical too.
What can United Offer? What about the chance to play at a packed Old Trafford in front of 76,000, as opposed to a 2/3 full Etihad.

Being one of the most marketable players in world football, due to a worldwide fan base that eclipses virtually every other club.

Having a team built around him rather than being rotated/benched for Aguero, De Bruyne, Jesus, Sterling, Silva and Sane.

The way some people are talking, it's as if City have the title sewn up for the next 5 years. They were miles off the pace last season. Time will tell if this is their new benchmark or simply a run of freak (albeit very good) results.

Reactions: Penna

exit35

Maybe people have underestimate Sanchez desire to leave Arsenal.

Maybe City right now are a more attractive option but you can't go wrong by joining the biggest club in the UK and wear an iconic number 7 shirt.

The club still has pulling power.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don’t think this is necessarily true. They spent a sizeable sum (can’t remember the exact figures but I think it was £150m), they just didn’t buy very well.

Apart from Morata all their buys were substitute type players. Which is just bizarre considering the array of good youngsters who can sit on the bench. Not a single one of their transfers in the summer strengthened their first 11.
They spent that money having lost key players in Costa and Matic though. In that context it's not all that sizeable a sum, especially in comparison to their rivals' spending. They also had more to do in some ways given they were lucky not to have their thin squad exposed the season before.

Status
Not open for further replies.