6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Being made MOM in the Hull game might have caused him to be trying too hard last night. Just play your own simple game Ander, don't try to over complicate things. You are a good player for us and don't need to prove otherwise.
It was also a different role without Rooney in the team, so there are factors. Still I was expecting him to play the same way trying to move the ball about quickly and easily

Sir A1ex

Surprisingly positive Guardian article...

http://www.theguardian.com/football...united-stoke-city-premier-league-match-report

Manchester United’s Ander Herrera inspires hard-earned win against Stoke

Manchester United are beginning to resemble the juggernaut of old. This was a fourth consecutive league win under Louis van Gaal, as the side continues to settle as the manager predicted they would on becoming familiar with his methods.

These remain early days, yet before Monday’s visit to Southampton there can only be optimism regarding United’s consistent form. At the close they rode their luck but had earned this fortune due to a display that left players and fans content, though Van Gaal less so.

“I’m happy with the result – tomorrow we have a Christmas party and it’s important we can enjoy that. I am not happy with the performance. I wasnot pleased with the first half. We were not so aggressive as in the last match and we want to play in the same style. I think we don’t keep our positions on the pitch, so we don’t create so many chances in the first half. Only the chance from [Ander] Herrera and then we have to finish that of course,” he said before hailing Marouane Fellaini’s header. “OK, the goal was a very nice goal also.”

The team news consisted of Wayne Rooney being unfit due to a knee problem suffered in Saturday’s 3-0 win over Hull City. This meant James Wilson was named ahead of Radamel Falcao for only a second Premier League start of his career. The other change from the weekend was Herrera for Ángel di María, who had suffered a hamstring injury.

Of Rooney Van Gaal said: “It is his knee but we have to wait for tomorrow to say anything about it because you never know with a knee. In my opinion it is not so heavy but I am not a doctor.

“We have to wait a scan and we will know more. Di María is not so heavy but, of course, he shall not play against Southampton but you never know.”

United should have taken the lead when Asmir Begovic’s mistake handed possession to Robin van Persie inside the goalkeeper’s area. Yet despite Wilson being available, the Dutch striker chose to pass to Herrera, who skied over from close in.

Herrera was about to make amends. The No21 lined up in the middle of United’s advanced midfield trident, yet was using much of the turf. When Juan Mata moved along the left, it was Herrera who provided the overlap to run on to the ball and swing in a perfect left-foot cross that had Fellaini rising to head home in the 21st minute.

Stoke had barely threatened the home side and, as the half went on, there was a sense that only United could undo themselves. And so it proved six minutes before the interval. When Herrera passed to Fellaini, the midfielder suddenly went down holding his neck. From the ensuing move the ball ricocheted off Chris Smalling, following a Bojan Krkic run, and into Steven Nzonzi’s path. The midfielder emphatically beat David de Gea and it was one apiece.

Before this the home support had been singing their favourite carol. This is the one that goes to the tune of Twelve Days of Christmas and that starts with “Five Cantonas”. When the referee, Jon Moss, blew for half-time this festive cheer had dissipated.

Fellaini had walked off having missed a chance to register his and the team’s second while holding the troublesome neck. However, he was fit to resume after the break and was soon linking up with Herrera and Antonio Valencia along United’s right.

As on Saturday Herrera was involved in much of his team’s smart play. The next time came when he appeared down Valencia’s flank and with a smart soft-shoe shuffle won a free-kick with which Mata should have done better than hit straight at Begovic.

United were pouring forward. Fellaini, Van Persie, Herrera and Wilson were all involved as the 20-times champions threatened to retake the lead only to be repelled by stiff Stoke resistance.

This was about to crumple. From the right Mata again curved in a high ball and this time, with Marcos Rojo in attendance, a host of Stoke players, including Ryan Shawcross, merely watched as it bounced past Begovic and in to give United the advantage again in the 59th minute.

Rojo’s girlfriend later posted a photograph online to prove he had got the final touch but by the close no one in red cared. Wilson provided the contest’s exhilarating moment. Receiving the ball near halfway, a burst of pace swept him through and, though the shot was wide, here was an impressive marker from the 18-year-old. After Mame Diouf twice had efforts repelled off the United line, including a memorable save from De Gea and an Ashley Young clearance, the same could be said of United.

Van Gaal added: “In the second half we played much better, more aggressive but then you have to finish it. Wilson could have finished it, Fellaini could have finished it. We knew in advance it is difficult to defend long balls and [we had] a great save from De Gea and a little bit of luck from Ashley Young. You have to see the whole match and say there is one team that deserved it and that is Manchester United.”

He was not wrong.

Hit It

Didn't watch the game but from what I hear he lost possession a few times. I think when your playing a team like stoke who hound their opponents and aren't afraid to get stuck in, then you have to accept you will loose the ball a few times. What I don't want to see is are players being afraid to make a risky pass just because they make one bad one. The more you try, the better chance you will succeed. Patience is the key.

goin4glory

Playing in the 10 role means he takes more risks when in possession than he would normally, it's to be expected and I'm not sure what the big criticism was in the first half. Go read the Di Maria thread before we signed him pages full of posters claiming he lost the ball too much.

Dyslexic Untied

Would it be fair to say that Herrera offers us a lot of what Shinji was supposed to offer us, but also provides us qualities Shinji never had? I appreciate that they are capable of taking up different positions on the pitch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Would it be fair to say that Herrera offers us a lot of what Shinji was supposed to offer us, but also provides us qualities Shinji never had? I appreciate that they are capable of taking up different positions on the pitch.
He provides a lot of elements that both Cleverley and Kagawa were meant to but didn't, really. He provides the gritty, tenacious mobility necessary in the middle of the park, as well as being technically tidy and really increasing the tempo and intensity we play at. Along with this, he has began to provide the statistical value - 2 goals and 3 assists in 7 matches playing as a box-to-box/free form #10 is pretty impressive.
I really rate him very highly. Once he fully beds into the league, I genuinely think he could be one of the best midfielders around.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
This guy...he's such a joy to watch; the one touch passing, the pass accuracy, his ability to remain open at all times.

For me he's our most important player, the creative midfielder is the heartbeat of the team.

And just the sort of guy who should flourish under van Gaal.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
This guy...he's such a joy to watch; the one touch passing, the pass accuracy, his ability to remain open at all times.

For me he's our most important player, the creative midfielder is the heartbeat of the team.

And just the sort of guy who should flourish under van Gaal

Hmm....

Jagga7

I thought Herrera was one of the best performers in the 2nd half and he created Fellani's goal was a great cross. Disappointing he's not starting.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I wouldn't be dropping him right now as he's one of the few who is consistently in the mix of creating chances and scoring but it's not an easy game away to So'ton.

He'll be the first subbed on I reckon.

Stringer

Disappointing to see him dropped. He's one of the few players in the squad that tries to inject a quick tempo to our play.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He might think he will be more valuable against Liverpool. Remember Liverpool will have played in Europe. A faster paced game might be better then.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Surprised he is not in the starting eleven, would prefer him instead of Mata considering we have Rooney back now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He was okay against Stoke but maybe Van Gaal didn't think he can stay in top form while playing 3 times a week so soon after coming back from injury, he did look a bit tired against Stoke and a bit off in the start at least. You can see he wants more defensive solidity and strength with Fellaini which is fair enough. He'll probably be subbed on though as he's useful for his creativity and his pressing so can be used for different situations.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't understand why we require 3 centre backs and a defensive midfielder against a team that plays a lone striker, Herrera wouldve been a huge asset in there.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Can't understand why the feck we revert to that 352 shit again. It's definitely not playing to our strengths.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Quite a surprise van Gaal prefers Mata than him behind RvP and Rooney. On the basis of recent performances I thought it was the other way around.

saivet

It's weird. In the summer, Herrera was the type of player LVG loved, some argued more suited to us (in terms of style of play) than Kroos or Fabregas.

Fellaini has heralded as the guy a manager like LVG would get rid of ASAP.

Also had a fair few, including myself, unsure how LVG would take to Rooney.

Maybe LVG just doesn't rate Herrera all that highly, or rates Fellani quite high?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's weird. In the summer, Herrera was the type of player LVG loved, some argued more suited to us (in terms of style of play) than Kroos or Fabregas.

Fellaini has heralded as the guy a manager like LVG would get rid of ASAP.

Also had a fair few, including myself, unsure how LVG would take to Rooney.

Maybe LVG just doesn't rate Herrera all that highly, or rates Fellani quite high?
I doubt he cares either way. Its about the system, not individual players.

RedStarUnited

I don't understand why we require 3 centre backs and a defensive midfielder against a team that plays a lone striker, Herrera wouldve been a huge asset in there.
Hey, Young and Valencia are wingers by trade. with that in mind, Its a more attacking formation than not...

Ace of Spades

The problem is that we have no one to increase the tempo in this side, and we don't look any more defensively solid in a 3-5-2 anyway. Fellaini and Carrick in a 2 man CM is a worry as well, thankfully they also have injuries to some of their main players.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hey, Young and Valencia are wingers by trade. with that in mind, Its a more attacking formation than not...
We've played them in a back 4 before, comfortably, then I understand the use of Carrick, but otherwise it seems overly defensive.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If his poor game against Stoke is the reason he doesn't start, well, why is RvP still starting game after game?

I'd have preferred him to start and to change our back 4 again is not just giving us consistancy

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
WTF hes been dropped for young?

Kag

This thread will only end up one way. Stupidity and attention-seeking from both sides no doubt. Two instances already.

ZDwyr

WTF hes been dropped for young?
No, he hasn't.

People are overreacting and overrating Herrera. He was average against Stoke, and poor in the first half. It's no surprise he is out because we want to be more solid defensively away from home. He'll be on at some point.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Does LVG not really rate Herrera? Fellaini seems to have gone ahead of him in the pecking order now with Herrera only played as a last resort.

Kag

Rather see him than Fellaini but the latter has done well recently. May also be a thought that he can match Wanyama physically.
I think Van Gaal may have missed a trick here, to be honest. Wanyama dumps his kegs when pressed. Is Mata really going to hound him and steal the ball? I'm not sure. I think Herrera at #10, marking Wanyama with Fellaini helping out physically, would have been a good tactic tonight.

Rooney aside, our attack is horribly laboured.

Status
Not open for further replies.