5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silva

It wasn't a great performance at all but Villa were getting away with murder all game long. They kicked feck out of Januzaj then, when he went off, kicked feck out of Hererra instead. With a stronger ref they would have both made more of an impression.
That was really pissing me off. It was like some sort of kick an AM a minute competition.

surf

He gave the ball away too much. Still, he provides a better balance to the midfield. Would like to see him start with Morgan and instead of Carrick in the next home game.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Possibly my favorite player at the club. He makes the midfield work.

Pass, move, makes himself available for a pass. Receive. Pass again. Rinse and repeat.

We haven't had someone do that in our midfield since Cleverley 2012 (before his injury). He basically causes the entire attack and midfield to shift towards the opposition box. Less pressure on the wingers to dribble their way into the opposition area.

The only reason I can see LvG not liking him is that he can sometimes get dispossessed easily.

izec

He's too sloppy at the ball, unpredictable and dynamic but i can see why lvg dont like him. He seems to take initiative by himself and noy sticking to lvg game plan?
Well yeah, he seems to do that, but thats for me positive if a player takes initiative. I know LvG has his philosophy, but he shouldnt have bought him if he doesnt fit in. He was a club target, but he still gave his ok. We waste him quite a bit, i wish van Gaal would realsie that Ander deserves more freedom and that he helps us in terms of creativity/space/movement.

LR7

Pass, move, makes himself available for a pass. Receive. Pass again. Rinse and repeat.

We haven't had someone do that in our midfield since Cleverley 2012 (before his injury). He basically causes the entire attack and midfield to shift towards the opposition box. Less pressure on the wingers to dribble their way into the opposition area.

The only reason I can see LvG not liking him is that he can sometimes get dispossessed easily.
So can Mata, so this can't be the reason.

finneh

I'd love to try a midfield three of Schweinsteiger, Herrera & Mata in one of the next couple of home games. The biggest weakness in my opinion that's been a feature of our play this season is our slow build up play and players taking too many touches/having a poor first touch. Schweinsteiger and Herrera are excellent in this regard and Mata is our most creative player. Put Januzaj on the right (or Pedro if he joins) and Depay on the left and you should have a really dynamic front 6.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The reason is that he is a midfielder and not an attacker. In the #10 position, Herrera plays like a very attacking #8, while Van gaal is after a very attacking #10.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
ive seen a lot of people saying that it was Sweinsteiger the gained the control of the match but I think that the biggest change in the game was Herrera against villa. Firstly, Herrera brings energy to the side that without him we just lack. What I mean by this is that with Herrera, the press of the team is much higher and much faster overall, this allows the ball to be challenged higher up the pitch and so when you get it your closer to the oppositions box. For me this is a huge factor and makes us far more dangerous.

On top of this added pressing in the side, I also think that Herrera just shifts the ball quicker than most of our other players and in doing so rasies the whole tempo of the side. There is a reason that when Herrera plays, mata comes alive because they are both intelligent players that can provide that creative spark in the team.

I really thought Herrera changed the game on Friday and again showed why he has to be the first name on the team sheet for me. I'm hoping that against Bruge on Tuesday we start with both Herrera and Sweinsteiger in midfield to really give us abit more control and creativity.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I hope LvG gets the balance right on Tuesday, yes we don't want to be conceding, but we need at least two goals. Without any creativity and tempo in the side I am not sure where the goals will come from.

saivet

I like Herrera, but my word he has to be the most overrated player on this forum. Gets praised over anything and everything.

I do hope he starts, but I don't think his performance against Villa will convince LVG that he should.

Also, what the feck does overcoaching even mean?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So can Mata, so this can't be the reason.
LVG also said that Depay, Januzaj, Rooney and a few others had lost possession too many times. If that was the problem it wouldn't just be Herrera who suffered.

Anyway, we already know exactly what the problem is. He doesn't play at #10 because he isn't a #10, especially in LVG's eyes. He doesn't play as a holding midfielder because he isn't a holding midfielder either and faces very strong competition from Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin. It's not particularly complicated.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
LVG also said that Depay, Januzaj, Rooney and a few others had lost possession too many times. If that was the problem it wouldn't just be Herrera who suffered.

Anyway, we already know exactly what the problem is. He doesn't play at #10 because he isn't a #10, especially in LVG's eyes. He doesn't play as a holding midfielder because he isn't a holding midfielder either and faces very strong competition from Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin. It's not particularly complicated.
If I may, he is a potential #10 in LVG's eyes, but he is the other type of #10, the midfielder type. When LVG presented his nederland team to the press, he showed two formations, one was a 4-3-3 where he chose Sneijder and the other was a 4-2-3-1 and he chose Van der Vaart.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If I may, he is a potential #10 in LVG's eyes, but he is the other type of #10, the midfielder type. When LVG presented his nederland team to the press, he showed two formations, one was a 4-3-3 where he chose Sneijder and the other was a 4-2-3-1 and he chose Van der Vaart.
Aye, you're right actually. I don't think #10 is his best position anyway but it is more that he's not LVG's preferred type of #10 rather than him not being someone he would play as a #10 at all.

Problem is, we're probably going to be relying on our 10 to really help Rooney with the weight of goal scoring, which demands a certain type of player.

prath92

ive seen a lot of people saying that it was Sweinsteiger the gained the control of the match but I think that the biggest change in the game was Herrera against villa. Firstly, Herrera brings energy to the side that without him we just lack. What I mean by this is that with Herrera, the press of the team is much higher and much faster overall, this allows the ball to be challenged higher up the pitch and so when you get it your closer to the oppositions box. For me this is a huge factor and makes us far more dangerous.

On top of this added pressing in the side, I also think that Herrera just shifts the ball quicker than most of our other players and in doing so rasies the whole tempo of the side. There is a reason that when Herrera plays, mata comes alive because they are both intelligent players that can provide that creative spark in the team.

I really thought Herrera changed the game on Friday and again showed why he has to be the first name on the team sheet for me. I'm hoping that against Bruge on Tuesday we start with both Herrera and Sweinsteiger in midfield to really give us abit more control and creativity.
The match was turned by schweinsteiger. Once he came on he dictated play and let Schneiderlin do his thing. Herrera didn't do a lot imo. He wasn't bad or anything but he didn't do anything spectacular but schweinsteiger was all over the pitch. He even overlapped Rooney once or twice in the wing. He was undoubtedly the one that changed the game.

I'd love to try a midfield three of Schweinsteiger, Herrera & Mata in one of the next couple of home games. The biggest weakness in my opinion that's been a feature of our play this season is our slow build up play and players taking too many touches/having a poor first touch. Schweinsteiger and Herrera are excellent in this regard and Mata is our most creative player. Put Januzaj on the right (or Pedro if he joins) and Depay on the left and you should have a really dynamic front 6.
That would be suicidal. There are no human shields in that midfield. At least a Fellaini has to be there in a midfield. Schneiderlin and Herrera is ideal with schweini or Carrick at the base

Minimalist

That would be suicidal. There are no human shields in that midfield. At least a Fellaini has to be there in a midfield. Schneiderlin and Herrera is ideal with schweini or Carrick at the base
Have to agree with the general point here.

Schneiderlin judging from the first couple games should be starting every match. Carrick/Bastian can rotate beside him.

Ash_G

I worry about him because I don't think he suits the way LVG wants his number 10/am to play and it's probably the same problem Mata has in that LVG wants them pushed quite high and so they end up having to play with their back to goal far more that they would like and it doesn't suit their games. When he's played bursting forward from midfield he's been excellent. He links up with players well, runs in to space and gets in to the box well. As a third midfielder, being the main support I think he'd do well for us but playing closer to the striker than the midfield where he has to come and get the ball facing away from goal I don't think suits him.

I hope LVG changes his mind as I think one of Herrera/Mata as a 3rd midfielder with Depay and likely Pedro on the flanks has a lot going for it imo.

finneh

I'd like to think a home game against either Brugge or Newcastle at home would be a perfect situation not to have to play a destroyer.

Hamadovich86

Poor Ander cant start a game this season after doing so well last season. The problem is it will be difficult for him to shine because even when he comes in he plays as the second striker which is not his MO. The system LvG chose for this season does not suit Herrera IMO.

fatboy

With the additional CL games this season, I really hope he'll get more than his fair share.

Wonder how long it'll take for LvG to figure out that Herrera, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger in midfield is the way forward.

DomesticTadpole

With the additional CL games this season, I really hope he'll get more than his fair share.

Wonder how long it'll take for LvG to figure out that Herrera, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger in midfield is the way forward.
If he gets Pedro it could happe. Memphis, Rooney and Pedro as a front 3. All that pace out wide. At the moment Mata is there with no pace.

izec

Of course they are, that was clear since pre season. But i guess LvG didnt play him because he was a sure starter :lol:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
He'd be the first guy on my team sheet every week. Really hope that he can force his way back in to the side but I don't see it happening long term, such a shame.

DomesticTadpole

He'd be the first guy on my team sheet every week. Really hope that he can force his way back in to the side but I don't see it happening long term, such a shame.
I wonder what side we will use on Wednesday? This has been a hard game for us then Swansea next weekend, which I am seriously worried about.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Our midfield has not been terrible without him. Herrera is just a product of bad management because he has not gotten an opportunity to impose himself into our first team. We are reaping what we sow by having so many midfielders in our team. As a result of that, we are neglecting one of our better midfielder surpringly.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
fecking mind-numbingly bizarre as to why he isn't playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.