g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ander Herrera image 21

Ander Herrera Spain flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneunited26

The game against Bruges was totally unrepresentative of the way our season will go. We won't face many weaker sides this season, for one thing.

Herrera looked good because Bruges were all over the place and he had space to run into. Januzaj is van Gaal's first pick because he's much more likely to beat a man. The two players take to the role very differently. Against PL opposition, I can see why LvG opts for Adnan, since the space that Herrera thrives in is far more difficult to find.

Herrera's problem is that he's not really a #10 so it'll be difficult for him to be the creative fulcrum in tight games. I think he'd look better as one of two #8s in a 4-3-3, but we don't really have any other #8s to pair him with.

This could be a frustrating season for him, I reckon. His best hope is that we buy another box-to-box midfielder to replace Carrick at some point.
Yea but Janazaj could not find the space even against Brugges last night, he was awful even against them. Which does ask the problem, why keep with a player who does not know the no10 role? at bilbao that was herrera's best position. So while they were awful, so was janazaj in the position he's been asked to play. When herrera was changed, he already improved us. let us not forget how he played city off the park last season, when we look at their record against us since 2011

Dante

Average bang
I love the way people seem to have forgotten how well he played in some of the big games last season. He had no trouble finding space then in fact he left a few vaunted PL players literally on their arses.
When paired with Fellaini who was double/triple marked.

No.8

The game against Bruges was totally unrepresentative of the way our season will go. We won't face many weaker sides this season, for one thing.

Herrera looked good because Bruges were all over the place and he had space to run into. Januzaj is van Gaal's first pick because he's much more likely to beat a man. The two players take to the role very differently. Against PL opposition, I can see why LvG opts for Adnan, since the space that Herrera thrives in is far more difficult to find.

Herrera's problem is that he's not really a #10 so it'll be difficult for him to be the creative fulcrum in tight games. I think he'd look better as one of two #8s in a 4-3-3, but we don't really have any other #8s to pair him with.

This could be a frustrating season for him, I reckon. His best hope is that we buy another box-to-box midfielder to replace Carrick at some point.
Herrera is smart enough to find space against any side and has the ability to beat a man as we've seen plenty of times and none more so joyfully than we he took on the whole of Arsenal's much revered midfield. He had a stop-start season last year yet was arguably our best outfield player imo so I think he more than deserves to be given a good run of games and a proper chance to prove himself in that role. His vision and craft are his best attributes and far superior to Januzaj's, I honestly believe Januzaj should be given a chance in Mata's position as he is more likely to attempt a take-on and cross rather than cut back inside and pass it sideways or backwards which Mata always seem to do.

Last edited:

itso 7

Januzaj hogs the ball too much to be effective in the PL until he finds that balance (knowing exactly when to release the ball, when to drop deep etc) he will always be inconsistent. Herrera, on the other hand, knows the role and has played it for Bilbao against the likes of Barca. His dribbling is of a high standard, can score and playing him closer to goal brings his through balls into play plus he can press which would aid us defensively whilst also allowing us to win balls high up the pitch which is always a sure way to create goal scoring opportunities.

Mali_Zeus

Not to quote Dante's post, he'll have enough alerts as it is. Strange post, his best position at Bilbao was at nr. 10. He can play that position very good and better than Adnan who got his chance but hasnt proved his worth there.
At nr. 10 beating the man is not the only thing which is important, at that position you need to get the play going and pick passes for forwards at the right time. With Mata on the right Herrera could do his job perfectly. And with Memphis on the left and Rooney playing like he played yesterday.

Also don't understand why is his best hope we buy another box to box mid.

criticalanalysis

Wow some of you guys have to read this article, it's nothing new but the comments he makes are exactly why we fecking love him at Utd.

Two bits to highlight for me

"I think I try to help my teammates, I try to offer myself when my teammates have the ball and this is the way I play. I'm a team player, I don't think about me, I think about the team.
Herrera like Schneiderlin, Blind, Bastian, Mata, Depay, Fellani and even Valencia will always offer the pass when others have the ball ALL the time even when they are both under pressure i.e at times when it really matters.

There's a difference for me when compared to others like Carrick, Rooney and Young, as the option is at a far less frequency and they offer much less ability to actually diffuse the situation/press.

That's the subtle but important part between a hoof/clearance/rushed pass to a potentially crucial transition. When you escape a moment of press, you have the player/s pressing on their back foot, whilst you've moved forward/into space on your front foot. This is basically half a yard gained and the whole team can advance. That's more space for a through ball, for a drive etc; it opens up opportunities even in tight games against deep defences.

That's the textual analysis of it because we all realise and can see it when we're watching games but you don't actually think why/how.

Herrera's close control, technique, mobility, tenacity and athleticim is why he's a brilliant player for us to build upon on.

This next bit is self explanatory really because we all know, he actually means it and is not media talk.

"Time will say," Herrera replied. "If the manager wants me to play I am going to be ready, if the manager wants me to wait and wait for my moment I am going to wait. I am a team player, I always say the same."

Herrera's diplomacy was noted and he elaborated on his attitude before one could reporter could finish his question.

"I am realistic and sincere, and this is the way I think I am going to get my chance," he explained.

"If I am a team player, if I help my teammates, if I think about the team, I think I am not selfish. I think it is the way I have to take."

PvsNP

No shit, that's what he played at Athletic.

ChaddyP

what the feck is a theoretical scheme :lol: . Everyone and his dog knows herrera is a boss in the free role. Van Gaal acting like he figured this out of thin air :lol:

DevilRed

Starved of the ball. Our players refuse to play the risky pass that could release him or allow him to create in dangerous areas.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He barely touched the ball but he did set up two pretty much clear goalscoring chances.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We've not managed to work any clear chances after Herrera went off. He barely touched the ball and still managed to open them up three or four times.

Van Gaal's response? Sub him. :lol:

Name Changed

weso26
If he gets the ball, he'll do something imaginative and creative with it. One of our best players today even though he was starved of possession.

Ace of Spades

Was looking the most creative of the front four, of course he gets subbed.

Really annoyed by the constant two deep CMs we are playing now, even when we are trailing. Take some risk ffs.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Anonymous
Absolutely bizarre. Set up Mata in the first two minutes with a great chance, set up Rooney one-on-one at 0-0, put Mata through on goal at 1-0...he played well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Did well I thought. Pressed well, and created chances. Would have had a few assists if Rooney didn't mess up his chances

RedChip

At Least two posts saying 'starved of the ball'. Why was he starved of the ball?

izec

Herrera is not the problem, it is the tactic and team itself. Depay and Januzaj played shite too there, without seeing any balls. Same with Herrera, although he did look quite better than them.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
When will he have the courage to haul Rooney off, Bastian, who looked terrible the whole game and Depay who looks like he is going to struggle playing two games in a week. He got the subs completely wrong. Hoofing the ball to Fellaini, is that admitting that is all he is good for?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Absolutely bizarre. Set up Mata in the first two minutes with a great chance, set up Rooney one-on-one at 0-0, put Mata through on goal at 1-0...he played well.
This.

As soon as Herrera went off I knew we'd lost. The midfield, predictably, ceased to do anything. We just went out right and pumped in crosses to Swansea defenders' foreheads.

stevoc

Yep. Just was our most creative player.
I forgot he was on to be honest. Though to be fair he and Rooney were barely passed to so i suppose it's not a surprise.

the hea

He wasn't the answer we were hoping for, similar performance to the ones Januzaj had when he started played some nice passes but mostly he was very anonymous.

stevoc

As soon as I knew he was coming off, we'd create nothing more.
To be fair we didn't create too much when he was on either.

Once Fellanini came on everything started getting pumped up to him, it can be effective but i don't like it personally.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Felt he didn't impose himself on the game as well as he generally does - touch and move, raising our temp etc, but tbf the whole team (except Shaw you could say) didn't look great. He did create a few excellent chances though.

Ash_G

Herrera had a good game and did a better job off Rooney then anyone else this season for us.

The problem in attack was around him. I just don't see an obvious plan and it feels very rigid. We need much more movement, especially as he showed he'll find the passes.

We were let down for that second goal tbf which really changed the game. Romero should have saved it easily and at 1-1 the game could have finished very differently.

We've got issues in the team but Herrera isn't one of them imo.

beergod

Herrera is not the problem, it is the tactic and team itself. Depay and Januzaj played shite too there, without seeing any balls. Same with Herrera, although he did look quite better than them.
I don't see anyone excelling in that role with our current setup. I love Mata, but having him on the left without a fullback like Dani Alves bombing forward providing width is hamstringing our attack. With only one position providing significant threat in behind the defense and little width our #10 will always end up strangled in possession. Ander is good in tight spaces and Adnan is a good dribbler, but no one is good enough to consistently perform with those limitations around them.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't see anyone excelling in that role with our current setup. I love Mata, but having him on the left without a fullback like Dani Alves bombing forward providing width is hamstringing our attack. With only one position providing significant threat in behind the defense and little width our #10 will always end up strangled in possession. Ander is good in tight spaces and Adnan is a good dribbler, but no one is good enough to consistently perform with those limitations around them.
Then change the system. Him and his bloody rigid system. He is putting all the blame on the players in post match. He is cramming too much stuff into them. Just make the game bloody simple.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Expected too much from him today, he was decent but personally I didn't think he was a massive improvement on what Januzaj has offered in recent weeks. Much tougher game though to be fair.

Ash_G

He will be the scapegoat.
Indeed he will. I particularly dislike the people who will now say that having him central won't work as we tend to get when issues outside of the players control are randomly used against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.