Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Our best #10, watch him get dropped for Rooney as Martial takes #9.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I love it when people watching a game are quite happy for somebody to get their faces kicked in. :lol:
Sorry but that's part of the game

Many players would have put their heads in there

Apart from that Herrera and a decent game but that was a little disappointing

NinjaFletch

Strangely looked better when he moved to the right, ofcourse he also got to play against a charity left back in Moreno.
I don't see how thats strange?

He struggled because Liverpool's entire game plan was denying space in the middle in front of their box, he then moved out of their and looked quite bright.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Likely the same sort who headbutt walls and put their fists through windows.
:lol:

No, I don't want to be too harsh cos I really like Herrera and want him to start, but most mangers will fecking kill him for ducking out of that and I expect Lvg to give him a right ear full

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Can't decide whether I blame him for that Benteke goal or not. He definitely would've won a free kick if he got his head in there but wanting someone to get a boot in side of the head just to stop a goal in a football match almost feels sadistic. It could genuinely cause a serious injury.

thejtrain

Was awful except for the goal and I was livid he didn't challenge Benteke at all for the goal, but watching the replays it's clear that he could have done nothing about it.

SirAF

Ageist

No, I don't want to be too harsh cos I really like Herrera and want him to start, but most mangers will fecking kill him for ducking out of that and I expect Lvg to give him a right ear full
Completely agree. That said, I love the little bugger.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Can't decide whether I blame him for that Benteke goal or not. He definitely would've won a free kick if he got his head in there but wanting someone to get a boot in side of the head just to stop a goal in a football match almost feels sadistic. It could genuinely cause a serious injury.
This. Anyone with a brain would avoid that. Phil Jones, on the other hand...

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
'Blood and guts' football is great, makes for fabulous narrative, but there's a fine line between commitment and mental behavior, and players are responsible for their own safety. If Ander didn't think butting into Benteke's foot was a great idea, fine by me. Rather concede a goal, than have a player suffer concussion, or worse get sidelined for a while. That does the club and manager no good, and injuries to the head are no joke.

Petr Cech will not play football until next year after undergoing neurosurgery on Saturday night in the wake of a collision with Reading's Stephen Hunt. The clash, one of several controversial incidents in Chelsea's 1-0 win at the Madejski Stadium, will prompt a video review by the Football Association today.

Depressed skull fractures are common after impact with a blunt, heavy object - in Petr Cech's case, Stephen Hunt's knee hitting his face, which dented the skull and pushed pieces of bone towards the brain.

Depending on where the fracture is, bone fragments could lacerate or bruise the brain or damage blood vessels around it. There is also a risk of increasing pressure on the brain, which can cause seizures or, in extreme cases, death.

The decision to operate meant the broken pieces of bone ended up more than 5mm deeper than the skull. Moving the bone away from the brain and reassembling the skull is the priority. Surgeons would also have inspected the brain's outer casing, which carries major blood vessels and helps protect the brain. There is also a risk of added pressure on the brain as a result of swelling around the fracture area - increased pressure can crush soft tissue around the brain and can be fatal.

According to Chelsea, the surgery was successful, but when Cech plays again depends on the injury's severity. A simple fracture and he could return within a month. If there was bleeding around the brain, this could lead to further neurological problems, forcing Cech out for many months. Whatever happens, he will need several months of brain scans before getting a clean bill of health.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/oct/16/newsstory.sport2

Devil may care

Played with energy and did well for the penalty, overall not a great game from him but it's difficult to play as a #10 when Mata and Fellaini are 2 of your 3 options as runners, since neither have any pace to get in behind.

m1y2

A little pussy when Benteke scored. Not happy about that.
could have tried to block that that's true but I can tell from my experience playing beach football for a couple of years that you don't really want to get too close... seen an ambulance coming for inexperienced player who tried to block a scissor kick and got his jawbone broken with a lot of blood around. And Benteke is a different beast with his boots on. That was as powerful kick as it gets

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He was far better than Mata for me, who was just a non factor and so very disappointing.

Herrera had his moments today. Great work to win the penalty, and then composure to put it away. At the same time, he needs to be calmer sometimes, and can't always be in such a hurry.

Ya, I posted that at HT when neither had done anything. Herrera improved slightly, and the penalty was fantastic.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Criticising him for ducking is massively harsh, in my opinion, Benteke is a big fecker and you're basically asking Herrera to put his head in the way of his boot at full force. That'd cause serious damage.

It does raise the question of dangerous play though, bicycle kicks are always a bit dodgy in that regard, but I'd hate to see them banned.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
He was nothing special today bar a very clever bit of play to win the penalty. I am finding it very difficult to see advantages of playing him as number 10 esp in matches where opponent seem happy to stay deep and close the space between midfielders and defense. I was a big fan of his showing as a box to box player on right last season, but as a number 10 he seems to be a little limited. May be he needs more game time at that position to prove himself also considering since he's not really a DM, it'd be difficult to see him compete for any places bar number 10.

bucky

It makes it look like he's standing still, but he was actually moving towards Benteke and turning away. Vidic and Jones probably wouldn't have done that, but Herrera was too far away from Benteke to make much of a difference. At least that's how it looked to me.

NoPace

Played out right at the end. Wonder if he'll get any more time there, maybe with Martial and Rooney as the front 2, or even swapping with Mata?

Unlikely lad

Herrera after the game: "When you come to Manchester United, the first thing you think of is scoring against Liverpool at Old Trafford."

This guy

Last edited:

Sigma

It was hilarious tbh but I know one thing, I would do the same thing. No way am I getting in the way of that.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Criticising him for ducking is massively harsh, in my opinion, Benteke is a big fecker and you're basically asking Herrera to put his head in the way of his boot at full force. That'd cause serious damage.

It does raise the question of dangerous play though, bicycle kicks are always a bit dodgy in that regard, but I'd hate to see them banned.
No way you could do Benteke for dangerous play, agreed. The Jerome? goal the other week that was chalked off was a disgrace. Everyone loves a bicycle kick and fair play, that goal was a belter today.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I can excuse Herrera for not challenging for the cross. Kompany ducked Rooney's bicycle kick after all. Still, you might have expected him to try and put his body in the way of the strike like players do at free kicks. He could easily have jumped and turned his back as if charging down a strike. Yes, it could've wrong footed De Gea and deflected in anyway. If you're going to make that argument though you may as well scrap walls at set pieces.

I was really disappointed with the way Herrera got into good areas first half but played safe, rather than attempt a shot or a difficult pass. Yes, Van Gaal might have blown a gasket at him for conceding possession. Still, if you play at #10 for Man Utd you should be more scared of not scoring or creating goals than of being yelled at by the manager.

The great plus of having Herrera in the side is that he offers goals from midfield. Had Benteke's goal been an equaliser the momentum in the match would have totally changed. We needed the second goal to give us some breathing space, and Herrera delivered: bought the penalty and rifled it home. He deserves some credit for that, especially as that was his first penalty in a competitive fixture. Two goals from his last three starts at United is a solid return.

Swaters16

Pft, knowing me I would have jumped and thrown an arm into Benteke or the ball and ended up copping the penalty. So I can't blame him too much but really he probably should have showed a bit more commitment

thejtrain

Yep, I've never understood them. Unless a defender is well away, it should almost always count as a foul, but never does.

Sam

His attacking and creative instincts seem to have been well and truly 'Van Gaal'd'.

I dont blame him in the slightest for what was a freak, brilliant goal from Benteke. He showed glimpses of his class but he's obviously suffering from a fear of being dropped and was playing it safer than he usually does. LVG needs to reassure him his place is safe if we're to see what he can really do.

suheilsworld

Needs to get in the game more. Not offering much going ahead. He is just trying too hard to make those brilliant through balls that is not working for him. Should stick to basics.

Great taken penalty thought. Unstoppable.

Water Melon

Agree that if it was Vida not Ander, he would not probably have ducked, but all our defenders were much closer to our own goal, so at least Ander tried to close the space. I'd rather take one great goal from Benteke rather than have Herrera out with concussion for several weeks. If we have a bit more pacy winger than Mata and a bit more lively forward than Fellaini, Herrera would thrive. Also loved how he played those one twos in the last 10-15 seconds in the center of the park, pissing off Liverpool players :D

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Needs to get in the game more. Not offering much going ahead. He is just trying too hard to make those brilliant through balls that is not working for him. Should stick to basics.

Great taken penalty thought. Unstoppable.
Agreed with this. Also doesn't help when the only player willing to make run today was Mata who is going to find it very difficult to escape with Liverpool narrow defending. I like his energy though. His offer of making runs was the primary reason Carrick was able to play the pass and he was able to win the penalty. We need more players willing to make runs and sacrifice themselves for the team rather than playing final balls or taking players on and trying to scoring.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Love the guy!

The new Ole in terms of the loving factor :drool:

As for the goal, unless you're brave like Vidic and Terry or someone who has no brain to process anything like Phil Jones, you are not getting your face/head in the way of Benteke's swinging leg.

suheilsworld

Agreed with this. Also doesn't help when the only player willing to make run today was Mata who is going to find it very difficult to escape with Liverpool narrow defending. I like his energy though. His offer of making runs was the primary reason Carrick was able to play the pass and he was able to win the penalty. We need more players willing to make runs and sacrifice themselves for the team rather than playing final balls or taking players on and trying to scoring.
Spot on. We need more than one striker or one player making runs in the box. I think we are not putting enough pressure on the opposition defense when closer to their box. The more pressure we put the more chances of getting free kicks and penalties in the box, not to mention goal scoring opportunities. Also, our own goal needs to come out of hiding and have a stellar season

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
According to an after game interview on the United website Herrera has never ever taken a penalty in a competitive game before. So even more well done Ander.

Ander Herrera revealed after the game to MUTV that his penalty in the 3-1 win over Liverpool was the first he has ever taken in a competitive match.

The Spanish midfielder showed few nerves when hammering his spot-kick past Simon Mignolet to double Manchester United's lead after he was fouled by Joe Gomez inside the box. However, he was only on spot-kick duty because of Juan Mata's substitution and Wayne Rooney's injury so he was actually a novice in this area.

When asked if he had taken one before, he replied: "Never, never. But the manager last season gave me the confidence. He told me I had the quality to take penalties and I have practiced every week. And, today, when I received the penalty, I thought the number-one taker isn’t on the pitch, I’m the second taker so I’m happy for that. But, next time, if the number-one taker is on the pitch I won’t be taking it.

"I tried [put some force behind it] because I knew in advance that [Simon] Mignolet is a big keeper, very tall and very elastic. I tried to hit it as hard as possible and it was a good goal but the most important thing was the win."

Herrera was clearly delighted to experience another fabulous occasion at Old Trafford.

"It’s not only a victory," he said. "It’s a very special day for us and our fans. When I arrived here, I realised what this game means for our fans. I have played three games against them and beat them in every game so I am very happy."

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Wasn't great but one think I do like about him is his urgency when he has the ball. He doesn't feck about when he has the ball. Wonder how he'd do on the right side of the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.