g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ander Herrera image 21

Ander Herrera Spain flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

settembrini

Played well, created all our best chances aside from the goal, and is subbed off :(

criticalanalysis

Played well with what he received from him team mates.

Things he should do better/can improve on realistically:

Be more of a threat and impose himself on the game. There was a few times he was outside their box, where he could have possible drove into the penalty area and added a bit of urgency with a 1-2 or make space for a shot for himself.
The first half, he barely saw the ball and he should have probably dropped deeper to try to find it a bit more. Maybe it was manager instructions and the tactics but I felt the game definitely bypassed him for long periods.

United22

Give any manager in the league 250m, and they`d do that no problem.....
Nail on head. £250m is a ludicrous amount of money, just fecking imagine if you pumped that 250m into Swansea instead... They would undoubtedly be in 4th

LeftyBlaster

Played well with what he received from him team mates.

Things he should do better/can improve on realistically:

Be more of a threat and impose himself on the game. There was a few times he was outside their box, where he could have possible drove into the penalty area and added a bit of urgency with a 1-2 or make space for a shot for himself.
The first half, he barely saw the ball and he should have probably dropped deeper to try to find it a bit more. Maybe it was manager instructions and the tactics but I felt the game definitely bypassed him for long periods.
Quite possible but we had Morgan and Basti occupying the spaces there. It was right of LVG to start with a midfield 3 today but our lack of a true winger on the right and a pacy striker undid us.

matt23

Thought he was decent. His energy is useful, always hungry for the ball, and he's the only one who doesn't slow play down too much in their half.

criticalanalysis

Quite possible but we had Morgan and Basti occupying the spaces there. It was right of LVG to start with a midfield 3 today but our lack of a true winger on the right and a pacy striker undid us.
Yeah but at times, Herrera was very close to Rooney and because we weren't willing to pass to him in those tight spaces (as Swansea was closing space well), Bastian and Morgan had no one in front to pass to consistently.

Saw this posted up in the Mata thread, if we're able to pass to Herrera's feet ALL the time then he will do something but we're afraid of getting knicked and countered. To combat this Herrera has to drop deeper. I don't envy Januzaj, Depay and Herrera playing that 10 role with the way we play football. They've been told to stay close to Rooney and stay high up the pitch but the only way for them to be effective is literally sprint into spaces and run around like a man possessed before any of them get any possession of worth.

bucky

Really disappointed with him so far. Maybe he's a slow starter like Carrick, but he should be playing much better.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Didn't really offer a lot in the first half.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He's been invisible alongwith Mata. With Mata it happens often, with Herrera it's surprising. TBH whenever Carrick or Schweinsteiger get the ball, Lucas/Milner try to cut off the passing angles to him quickly.

izec

He is not a 10 for me, simple as that. Needs to play in a midfield 3 as a box to box CM with the freedom to play passes and to dribble around. The way we play and he plays, with the backpasses, he can stay on the bench.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
That's how you take a penalty. Not even Stretch Armstrong is getting near that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Perfect penalty but had a mixed game. Needs to pick up from otherwise I can see LVG benching him soon. Got better in the 2nd half though

Boycott

Improved in the second half. I give him 6/6.5. Did some things well, some errors with his passing in the first half.

m1y2

He's a bit too tidy sometimes, Van Gaal really made him to play like this, he's much more creative and we would have used him better giving him more freedom but still great player you must love...

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Did better in the second half, disssapointed that he chickened out of the Benteke goal, could have stopped the goal and won a free kick.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's been invisible alongwith Mata. With Mata it happens often, with Herrera it's surprising. TBH whenever Carrick or Schweinsteiger get the ball, Lucas/Milner try to cut off the passing angles to him quickly.
He was far better than Mata for me, who was just a non factor and so very disappointing.

Herrera had his moments today. Great work to win the penalty, and then composure to put it away. At the same time, he needs to be calmer sometimes, and can't always be in such a hurry.

NinjaFletch

Even an all time GOAT number 10 would have struggled to find space today, they basically were set up to do nothing other than deny us space on the edge of their box.

Disappointing game, but obvious mitigating factors.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's a bit too tidy sometimes, Van Gaal really made him to play like this, he's much more creative and we would have used him better giving him more freedom but still great player you must love...
I agree. Too often he went for the safe option even though he could have played forward. Hope LVG gives more freedom to our players. Herrera is at his best when he has runners around him who play quick football. He is very good at then finding them and opening up play. He's sharp and intelligent and I hope LVG finds a way to get that out of him. In a match like today he doesn't show that

Joemo

whistling in the wind
At the same time, he needs to be calmer sometimes, and can't always be in such a hurry.
Disagree with that. At times when United look like creating absolutely zero he is the only one who will keep trying and trying to work an opening. We have Memphis who will resort to trying shots from range, but Ander will try and get the team passing.

And then when it needs toning down he's fantastic at it. His movement and passing is phenomenal, as seen in the final moments of the game where he was passing it around the Liverpool players with Schneiderlin.

Godfather

Some are very harsh on here. Was one of our brighter spots in the first half and did very well in the second imo. Could have done better for Benteke's goal but still! Great penalty as well.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Strangely looked better when he moved to the right, ofcourse he also got to play against a charity left back in Moreno.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Disagree with that. At times when United look like creating absolutely zero he is the only one who will keep trying and trying to work an opening. We have Memphis who will resort to trying shots from range, but Ander will try and get the team passing.

And then when it needs toning down he's fantastic at it. His movement and passing is phenomenal, as seen in the final moments of the game where he was passing it around the Liverpool players with Schneiderlin.
I don't disagree with upping the tempo. But there has to be control to it. For example he won the ball today along the touchline, and played this bizarre cross field pass possibly with his left foot (?) which gave the ball away. I love adventurous football but it can't lead to things like Wayne Rooney's touch which gave possesion away against Swansea. In general I prefer Herrera's style of play but it's about having a balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.