5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyBlaster

Haha, 'intelligent player'. He really isn't great. Can't defend, isn't a great passer of the ball, can't tackle, not really great with the ball. Should never play in a two men midfield by the way. He's got energy and is tidy sometimes, but that's about it. Decent squad player but shouldn't start every game for Manchester United.

I should clarify that I didn't want LvG to sub him off. Stupid change.
Ozil can't defend but is an intelligent player. The same goes for players like Silva, Okazaki, Coutinho, all of whom are attackers but intelligent nonetheless. You people have no idea or have warped views on intelligence.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Needs to show more composure at times. Some of his passing was really rushed and sloppy and it was pretty basic stuff.
I think he was the least of our worries today. A shambles of a defence and a captain who is not a captain and can no longer run at even a snails pace were more of a problem. Oh and Mata getting sent off.

izec

Ozil can't defend but is an intelligent player. The same goes for players like Silva, Okazaki, Coutinho, all of whom are attackers but intelligent nonetheless. You people have no idea or have warped views on intelligence.
The term intelligent player gets thrown around far too many times on here, Blind for example.

Mickson

But Ozil doesen't play in a midfield two, and Ozil have what, 6-7 goals and like 20 assist? Silva and Ozil are top, top players in this league. Herrera just isn't. Can't compare them at all.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Did nothing, just runs around a lot.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I think he was the least of our worries today. A shambles of a defence and a captain who is not a captain and can no longer run at even a snails pace were more of a problem. Oh and Mata getting sent off.
I'm not saying he was a problem or our main problem. I'm just rating his performance which i thought this thread was for

RedStarUnited

I wish he took on more responsibility, creativity wise. He has a good eye for a pass but defers everything right now.

El Jefe

He's probably my favourite player in the squad but its becoming clear that he lacks the ability to dictate a game. I thought he would be able to develop that side of his game but he doesn't have the calmness in passing or the ability to pick the right pass consistently. Its why I'd place him in the Ramsey, Fernandinho, Dembele level of midfielder rather than the Toure, Cazorla, Cesc class in the PL.

m1y2

I think he did quite well not sure about the pessimism here, sprayed the ball well in the opening minutes and after we went to ten men it was always gonna be difficult for us. Dont understand the substitution, he was perhaps too tidy at times but still with a different mindset he would help us more than Schneiderlin who should probably start or be sent of for Carrick who didnt have the best of games despite being fresh let alone weneeded more legs and Carrick's passing which was off never made up for his lack of mobility which was really needed

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's probably my favourite player in the squad but its becoming clear that he lacks the ability to dictate a game. I thought he would be able to develop that side of his game but he doesn't have the calmness in passing or the ability to pick the right pass consistently. Its why I'd place him in the Ramsey, Fernandinho, Dembele level of midfielder rather than the Toure, Cazorla, Cesc class in the PL.
I don't know about others, but I've never really seen him as the type who'll dictate a game, as in the Xavi-type midfielder who sits back and pulls the string. If he does improve and becomes a key player for us, I feel that he'd be more of a creator: someone who bursts forward, tries to find incisive passes to a striker, and has a good goals/assists contribution. He does manage to do that sometimes, but can often frustrate too.

dichinero

I don't know about others, but I've never really seen him as the type who'll dictate a game, as in the Xavi-type midfielder who sits back and pulls the string. If he does improve and becomes a key player for us, I feel that he'd be more of a creator: someone who bursts forward, tries to find incisive passes to a striker, and has a good goals/assists contribution. He does manage to do that sometimes, but can often frustrate too.
Herrera is not the dictator type, he is the type of player that keeps the game ticking and the tempo up. It's no coincidence that when Herrera is on song, we play some of more exciting game in terms of tempo. His game will sometimes clash with a slow possession type football as an increased tempo is not risk averse and the expansive game means mistakes which LVG hates. We need a player.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He was rubbish today. He was one of the main reasons why we couldn't get any control in the game because he didn't even attempt to control the ball half the time, instead just opting for one time hits up the field.

El Jefe

I agree with you that he'll never be a Xavi type but even No 10's like Ozil and Silva bring a calmness and decision making in passing that's crucial to their sides keeping control. I still have hope that he can go to the next level I just doubt it will be under LvG as Herrera's natural game is the antithesis to van Gaal's philosophy.

Liverpool 2:0 Man Utd

XdanielredX

Manchester United in danger of losing Ander Herrera as Atletico Madrid and Juventus lead chase for Spanish midfielder
  • Ander Herrera enters the final two years of his contract this summer
  • He has an option to extend his Manchester United deal by a further year
  • Juventus and Atletico Madrid have identified Herrera as a target
  • Spanish midfielder has grown frustrated under Louis van Gaal at United
Manchester United are facing a fight to keep midfielder Ander Herrera this summer.

The Spanish star is the subject of growing interest from his homeland - namely Atletico Madrid - ahead of the summer transfer window.

Likewise, Herrera has also been scouted by Juventus as the Italian giants weigh up midfield reinforcements for Paul Pogba, who is set to leave Turin this summer.

Herrera, it is understood, would prefer a switch to Spain if he is to leave Old Trafford at the end of the season.

The 26-year-old enters the final two years of his contract in the summer, but has an option to extend the deal by a further 12 months.

But his future will come under scrutiny this summer as rival clubs monitor the classy midfielder.

Despite his current contract not expiring until 2018, United may find it difficult to resist any offers close to the £29million they paid Athletic Bilbao for the Spain international in 2014.

Likewise, Herrera may find it impossible not to push for a return to his homeland this summer should La Liga come knocking.

The former Real Zaragoza star has played in various positions in Louis van Gaal's midfield since his arrival at the start of last season.

Van Gaal's ploy to utilise Herrera, whose preferred position is at No 10, in different roles is believed to be a source of frustration for the Spaniard.

Indeed, Herrera's future could rest on whether Van Gaal remains in charge beyond the summer.

United are aware of the growing interest in Herrera from abroad but won't make a decision on his future until the summer.

It begins.....

izec

Would fit Atletico like a glove with his pressing, even though they play a midfield two. If they chnaged it to a midfield 3, where he would play as another 8 or 10, he would be perfect for them.

Bebe

I'll be so angry if we let him go. What an exercise in mismanagement he's been subjected to these last two seasons.

Perrick Dubois

If LVG stays for another season then in my opinion he'll go. I think it has been made pretty obvious that LVG doesn't like/rate him and his adventurous nature doesn't fit with the rigid style that he's trying to enact at our club. I wouldn't be upset at Ander if he left, I wouldn't blame him to be honest.

m1y2

disgusting if we let one of our best midfielder go but I dont believe in these shit rumours besides Vangle will be forced to retire after this shocking season

sugar_kane

Can't believe this lad didn't play against Liverpool.

He's had some mediocre games this season (amongst some crackers) but in a game where passion, determination and will to win is needed, it doesn't get any bigger than Liverpool away, and as far as I'm concerned Ander is one of the handful who consistently seem to have what it takes in this respect.

It made me sad seeing him in the tunnel before the game watching the other players line up and wishing them luck, as I know he would have been desperate to have been starting.

I would be gutted if he left if only because he deserves a chance under a different type of manager. He could be a club legend.

Sadly I think the experience of the last two years will see him out of the door, even though he clearly gets and loves the club.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Would fit Atletico like a glove with his pressing, even though they play a midfield two. If they chnaged it to a midfield 3, where he would play as another 8 or 10, he would be perfect for them.
Would he feck. He has nowhere near the tactical discipline to play in a Simeone midfield.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Would he feck. He has nowhere near the tactical discipline to play in a Simeone midfield.
Griezmann couldn't too but Simeone made him work a lot, that's why he wasn't a starter at the beginning. Someone like Vietto is eased in too.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Griezmann couldn't too but Simeone made him work a lot, that's why he wasn't a starter at the beginning. Someone like Vietto is eased in too.
Griezmann was an intelligent player who didn't (have to) work hard at Sociedad. Ander Herrera is a hard worker with a better engine than Griezmann had but he's thick as champ. It's harder to get someone to improve their positioning than to get them to work hard.

JPRouve

Scout
Griezmann was an intelligent player who didn't (have to) work hard at Sociedad. Ander Herrera is a hard worker with a better engine than Griezmann had but he's thick as champ. It's harder to get someone to improve their positioning than to get them to work hard.
And Ferreira Carrasco wasn't an intelligent player and Simeone is working well with him. My point is that Simeone builds players for his team, he doesn't buy finished products or perfect fits.
And Griezmann totally changed, his positioning, decision making and movements have improved. It's not just about working hard.

Edit: Valverde and Bielsa demand a lot of discipline from their players and Herrera was great with both.

DomesticTadpole

If Jose comes in think he will stay. If this clown is still here, then I wouldn't blame him for going. The quality players abroad will be watching what is happening with us and won't touch us with a ten foot bargepole unless we change managers. The only ones who will come will be kids who don't know better, ones who are ready to retire and want one last payday and below average players who will not raise us to the level we need to be. What player in their right mind would want to come to this madhouse?

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
And Ferreira Carrasco wasn't an intelligent player and Simeone is working well with him. My point is that Simeone builds players for his team, he doesn't buy finished products or perfect fits.
Like Griezmann, Carrasco is an attacker. That's entirely different to being a midfielder in a Simeone team.

Even Koke took ages to gain Simeone's trust to play centrally and he's someone who's a lot better and more disciplined than Ander.

Anyway, the final sentence of your post doesn't contradict my point, which is that he doesn't fit Atlético like a glove.

JPRouve

Scout
Like Griezmann, Carrasco is an attacker. That's entirely different to being a midfielder in a Simeone team.

Even Koke took ages to gain Simeone's trust to play centrally and he's someone who's a lot better and more disciplined than Ander.

Anyway, the final sentence of your post doesn't contradict my point, which is that he doesn't fit Atlético like a glove.
My point is that Simeone isn't after players who fits him like a glove, he isn't an idiot he knows it doesn't exist and will have to make them fit.

Varun

Staff
It will be ridiculously sad if we kept the buffoon long enough to lose players like Herrera, Adnan, Pereira, etc

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I hope I didn't rubbed you in the wrong way?
Nah, just thought originally you disagreed with me saying he doesn't fit Atlético like a glove (rather than agreeing he doesn't but saying that Simeone can 'fix' him).

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
So we've gone from "would fit Atletico like a glove" to "he wouldn't suit at all but Simeone would make him fit"!! By that token, I am as suitable for Simeone's midfield as Ander!!

For what it's worth, I don't think Ander is United quality or the type of playing style I like..... Would prefer somebody more mobile in either the No8 or No10 roles. He suits tiki taka much more than United's style

DomesticTadpole

So we've gone from "would fit Atletico like a glove" to "he wouldn't suit at all but Simeone would make him fit"!! By that token, I am as suitable for Simeone's midfield as Ander!!

For what it's worth, I don't think Ander is United quality or the type of playing style I like..... Would prefer somebody more mobile in either the No8 or No10 roles. He suits tiki taka much more than United's style
The stuff that wins things at the moment. Ander plays a pressing game, the sort we needed against Liverpool, but LvG didn't grasp how they were going to play. I would love to see us do that more, but to me unless we play the kids, the others in the midfield don't have the energy for it. The old United didn't let anyone have time on the ball. That might be why SAF was looking at the lad.

Last edited:

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Can't believe this lad didn't play against Liverpool.

He's had some mediocre games this season (amongst some crackers) but in a game where passion, determination and will to win is needed, it doesn't get any bigger than Liverpool away, and as far as I'm concerned Ander is one of the handful who consistently seem to have what it takes in this respect.

It made me sad seeing him in the tunnel before the game watching the other players line up and wishing them luck, as I know he would have been desperate to have been starting.

I would be gutted if he left if only because he deserves a chance under a different type of manager. He could be a club legend.

Sadly I think the experience of the last two years will see him out of the door, even though he clearly gets and loves the club.
Agree entirely, playing Fellaini instead of Herrera against Liverpool was criminal and weak.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Can just imagine the reaction of Xavi, Iniesta and other "tiki taka" players when Ander repeatedly misplaces the ball :lol:

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

I'm not sure. Our current style doesn't suit him, but I'm not sure it particularly suits anyone because of how dire it is. I don't think he's consistent enough in his passing/ball retention though to play a tiki-taka sort of style.

Since he's a hard worker and can be seen as a fairly attack-minded midfielder, he'd probably suit a more attacking, open, counter-attack style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.