g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ander Herrera image 21

Ander Herrera Spain flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

settembrini

I wouldn't call Herrera a #10 but I do think we should be playing 4-3-3 and he should be the attacking midfield we build around. I just don't see any weaknesses to his game that would stop him excelling there.

It's been pretty disappointing that Van Gaal hasn't given him a single minute in that position in pre-season. Depay seems to be his first choice for the role which is just bizarre given we signed him on the basis of his excellent performances on the left. I mean we really needed a new left winger, Young was our only decent option, for the central role we had tons of options. These head-scratching decisions of Van Gaal were a real problem for us last season.

Mali_Zeus

I wouldn't call Herrera a #10 but I do think we should be playing 4-3-3 and he should be the attacking midfield we build around. I just don't see any weaknesses to his game that would stop him excelling there.

It's been pretty disappointing that Van Gaal hasn't given him a single minute in that position in pre-season. Depay seems to be his first choice for the role which is just bizarre given we signed him on the basis of his excellent performances on the left. I mean we really needed a new left winger, Young was our only decent option, for the central role we had tons of options. These head-scratching decisions of Van Gaal were a real problem for us last season.
Herrera should be tried in nr. 10 in current formation or attacking mid in 4-3-3 but I dont have such a problem with Memphis playing centrally tbh.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Said it before, but it's him + one other, it simply has to be. We'll continue to look like we lack ideas until Van Gaal realizes this again like what happened last season. Our most important midfielder right now, funny/sad that he'll start the season on the sidelines.

Devil may care

He's the only CM of the main 4 that offers something different to compliment the strengths of the others, yet he's on the outside.

Raw

Hasn't started a single pre-season game, the other first team midfielders have.

He's fecking LVG's wife isn't he? Zaha and Moyes all over again.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He isn't physical enough to play holding midfielder under LvG, and a 4-3-3 point backwards doesn't suite us now that we have Schneiderlin who is more of an defensive box-to-box.

Let's see if he can nail down the spot behind the striker, for now though it looks like Memphis has it.

legball

Another season starting and the moaning about Herrera has started already, let's wait until the season starts. And Herrera's best position has always been as the most advanced midfielder in a 4-3-3, in that formation there's no such thing as a #10.

Hamadovich86

I think van Gall doesnt like Ander because he is too much of a risk taker, he also has a habit of losing the ball in crucial positions. Despite that I think what he brings to the table is far more important.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is absolutely vital. He's the one who stands out amongst our array of midfield. One who can link up all together in forward positions and drive us on.

Him not starting a single game in preseason is a bit strange and hopefully not an indication of things to come because for me despite our midfield for what he brings that the others don't he should be the first name on the team sheet out of our midfielders. Hoping LVG doesn't feck this one up but I'm not sure he won't.

wr8_utd

:'(
He's going to get dropped again until injuries or something force LvG to try him out in around Janauary and by then it'll be too late. Bizarre management

GloryHunter07

Said it before, but it's him + one other, it simply has to be. We'll continue to look like we lack ideas until Van Gaal realizes this again like what happened last season. Our most important midfielder right now, funny/sad that he'll start the season on the sidelines.
Couldnt agree more, i just dont get why he has been sidelined.

Question234

Another season starting and the moaning about Herrera has started already, let's wait until the season starts. And Herrera's best position has always been as the most advanced midfielder in a 4-3-3, in that formation there's no such thing as a #10.
He hasn't started any pre season game and had the least minutes out of all our CM's. He isn't starting for spurs, smalling might replace jones.

Mali_Zeus

That's it everybody is certain he wont start till October or even worse November.

Who knows maybe we'll sell him in winter TW.

izec

That's it everybody is certain he wont start till October or even worse November.

Who knows maybe we'll sell him in winter TW.
You can joke as much as you want though, but the fact remains that he isnt as highly rated as some think/wish. He isnt vital for LvG, even if he plays some games here and there. He wont be a starter at the start of the season, that is what i interpret from our tour.

Mali_Zeus

You can joke as much as you want though, but the fact remains that he isnt as highly rated as some think/wish. He isnt vital for LvG, even if he plays some games here and there. He wont be a starter at the start of the season, that is what i interpret from our tour.
I'm not joking. Some posters seriously think and are certain he wont start till autumn based on preseason games which is a bit silly.
Also LVG not liking him is silly too imo.
People thought LVG doesnt like Mata and now Mata is undroppable.

Kag

I'm not joking. Some posters seriously think and are certain he wont start till autumn based on preseason games which is a bit silly.
If all of Carrick, Morgan and Bastian are fit then he won't start before the Autumn, that's very probable.

Van Gaal doesn't rate Herrera as highly as the supporters or local media, that's abundantly clear by now.

izec

He is undroppable because we have no other better options. Herrera has much more quality players in front of him, although all more DMs. That is what van Gaal wanted and bought 2 new midfielders, while just buying Depay as our LW or 10 now, while not buying anyone for the right side.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is true too. LVG dropping someone doesn't mean he dislikes them, it just means he doesn't think they fit into his first 11 atm.

Right now Herrera isn't playing because there's a lot of competition at CM and he isn't really a #10. That doesn't mean he isn't rated for what he is though.

Mali_Zeus

He is undroppable because we have no other better options. Herrera has much more quality players in front of him, although all more DMs. That is what van Gaal wanted and bought 2 new midfielders, while just buying Depay as our LW or 10 now, while not buying anyone for the right side.
We have a lot of games and I'm sure Herrera will feature in a lot of them. It just seems Redcafe will have a huge meltodn every time he gets dropped, for even one game. And he could have a bad game or 2, that's possible.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is true too. LVG dropping someone doesn't mean he dislikes them, it just means he doesn't think they fit into his first 11 atm.

Right now Herrera isn't playing because there's a lot of competition at CM and he isn't really a #10. That doesn't mean he isn't rated for what he is though.
We don't know what he has been told. I presume he has been given reassurances that he will get gametime. LvG is pretty honest with players that way. He usually tell them how it is, so you would think Ander is happy with what he has been told.

legball

He hasn't started any pre season game and had the least minutes out of all our CM's. He isn't starting for spurs, smalling might replace jones.
No one knows that for sure, either way, we'll see.

hungrywing

We don't know what he has been told. I presume he has been given reassurances that he will get gametime. LvG is pretty honest with players that way. He usually tell them how it is, so you would think Ander is happy with what he has been told.
I really hope this is the case and that LvG's told him it's just been about trying to get Schneidsteiger as many minutes as possible with the team for now.

Otherwise it raises some bad/weird questions about LvG.

RikRuud

Next game please:

--------------------Rooney
--Memphis-----Herrera-----Mata
------------Schweinsteiger
---------------------Schneiderlin
Shaw-----Blind----------Smalling----Darmian
--------------------Romero

DomesticTadpole

It was 20 minutes in the first game, with hardly any playing time in pre-season. There were ones on the pitch the whole match who hardly made an impact. Very few of them did. Smalling, Darmian and Romero were the only ones I was impressed with. Carrick and Morgan did their job, but there was nothing creative coming from them mostly. Young ran a lot but his end product is still dire at times. Memphis ran around, took shots, mostly off target. They had a lot back, so we are back to the old cannot break down an organised defence. Rooney was abysmal. Mata worked hard, but can be knocked off the ball easily. If Kyle Walker has you in your pocket you aren't playing well.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Next game please:

--------------------Rooney
--Memphis-----Herrera-----Mata
------------Schweinsteiger
---------------------Schneiderlin
Shaw-----Blind----------Smalling----Darmian
--------------------Romero
No. Herrera is not a #10 and will not perform well in that role. United should not even be playing with a number 10. It does not bring the best out of our squad to be playing with a double pivot. Herrera should be the right sided midfielder in a 4-3-3. If he was he'd be much more effective than he was today.

DomesticTadpole

No. Herrera is not a #10 and will not perform well in that role. United should not even be playing with a number 10. It does not bring the best out of our squad to be playing with a double pivot. Herrera should be the right sided midfielder in a 4-3-3. If he was he'd be much more effective than he was today.
Exactly he needs to be in a midfield 3. With Carrick/Bastian and Morgan. Then Memphis wide, Rooney and Mata. What is difficult about that. The defence still has it protection, but someone is linking the midfield to the attack.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Hope you're joking.
Let me elaborate. I think in the 4231 we were employing he would add a lot at DM. The key of course will be whether he would be given permission to get into the box. Him alongside Morgan would make a good pairing. Michael and Morgan seem to be a bit too defensive for my liking. Bastian went a bit more forward than I was expecting which was great to see.

m1y2

Let me elaborate. I think in the 4231 we were employing he would add a lot at DM. The key of course will be whether he would be given permission to get into the box. Him alongside Morgan would make a good pairing. Michael and Morgan seem to be a bit too defensive for my liking. Bastian went a bit more forward than I was expecting which was great to see.
he could play there easily, he bossed the chelsea game from the back, now on double pivot he would have all time to set up attacks with Morgan covering and providing legs, both players could overrun anyone but Van Gaal rather fancies Herrera further up the pitch where currently is Depay who is completely lost there. Funny how we started experimenting with that all of a sudden with a new player and he never had a particularly great game. We could say he was decent there but our overall game lacked too much fluidity. Insane manager.

Hamadovich86

I expected that he didnt start but I was fecking furious when he was brought in as a straight swap for Memphis, he cant play right behind the striker. His main quality is moving the ball up front with speed after receiving it from the two DMs, should be played deeper ahead of the two DMs imo.

hbgreg

Disagree, has mental lapses at DM, don't really think he has the concentration needed. Let Hazard go for the goal against Chelsea in that away fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.