5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

I worry that Memphis, because he wants to prove himself won't feed the front man but will want to be taking shots all the time. That is the risk with a young player.
Memphis has played the role pretty intelligently so far, but I just feel we could benefit from him on the left and Ander as the AM, rather than only having one or the other.

Depends on the type of #10 you want really. Van Gaal has said recently he wants his #10 to always score or create goals, he see's them more as a goal threat and forward (like Bergkamp for example) then a midfielder I think so that would go with Memphis playing there. Also I do think Memphis is going to be the left winger long term, but while Young is playing pretty well, then it's okay. Also, we are looking to buy Pedro, so our front 3 or 4 will be Mata, Pedro, Memphis behind Rooney, and those 3 can all rotate around.
I can understand him wanting a goal scoring #10 as it alleviates the responsibility on Rooney, but Ander can add goals and then we'd get goals from Memphis on the left, something we don't really get from Young. I just feel we could get the best of both worlds.

XdanielredX

He's already said Valencia is his first choice RB with Darmian in 2nd and yet Darmian is in his "A team that will start every match" where as Valencia is in his "B team that he doesn't rate".

So just relax in regards to Herrera and others people...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's already said Valencia is his first choice RB with Darmian in 2nd and yet Darmian is in his "A team that will start every match" where as Valencia is in his "B team that he doesn't rate".

So just relax in regards to Herrera and others people...
Valencia was coming back from injury though, wasn't he?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They each played half of the match though, so he could have easily put him in the A team.

That or everyone is right and he doesn't rate Herrera at all.
The A team played 65 minutes. It was clearly his preferred XI. Presumably he didn't want Valencia to play so many minutes in his first appearance after the injury. Either that or Darmian's performances on tour so far have pushed him up the pecking order.

XdanielredX

The A team played 65 minutes. It was clearly his preferred XI. Presumably he didn't want Valencia to play so many minutes in his first appearance after the injury. Either that or Darmian's performances on tour so far have pushed him up the pecking order.
Suppose so, any way the point I was trying to make is people need to stop worrying too much about Herrera being in the B team, he is good enough, he will force his way in the first team.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Suppose so, any way the point I was trying to make is people need to stop worrying too much about Herrera being in the B team, he is good enough, he will force his way in the first team.
It must be taxing to prove yourself repeatedly. He already forced his way into our starting XI in the second half of the season, and was one of our best players. It's a bit preposterous if he is down the pecking order again and will need to prove himself this time too, if that is indeed the case.

Pogue Mahone

It must be taxing to prove yourself repeatedly. He already forced his way into our starting XI in the second half of the season, and was one of our best players. It's a bit preposterous if he is down the pecking order again and will need to prove himself this time too, if that is indeed the case.
Every player in the squad has to constantly "prove himself". That's how competition for places works. Having signed two top class players that play the same position as him, Hererra will know that the competition for his place just got tougher. He's said as much himself.

itso 7

It's concerning tbh and it doesn't bode well for squad progression if someone like Herrera has to prove himself all over again after the second half of the season he just had. We are supposed to be adding to the players that did well but all we've seen is Smalling and Herrera, two of our top five performers last season, being dropped down the packing order for no reason at all. Funny how Rooney isn't being asked to prove himself all over again despite showing a major technical flaw that is dragging the team backwards.

If this is how Van Gaal awards hard work then it's not that hard to see why, for such an obviously brilliant football mind, he finds it difficult to hold down a job for more than two seasons. He is his worst enemy, imo.

It's apparent now that this season we will start pretty much the same as the last one, using shite formations to shoehorn his favourites leaking points like a sieve whilst our rivals steal the march on us. We need to start the season with what works to give us the best possible chance for success and those two are part of any Man Utd eleven that works.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I know Herrera is a big favourite here but it's not like benching him in favour of the likes of Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Mata, Depay or (if we sign him) Pedro is a massive crime. We finally have a lot of quality in these positions so tough choices have to be made.

If we are playing with a proper #10 then I can certainly see why Herrera wouldn't be picked. As has been said before, LVG favours more of a direct attacking threat in that position.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Poor guy.
Mistrusted by LvG, ought his way back to the team and played really well, and now bright new toys/new system have sidelined him again.
In the 4231 with 2 DMs, he can play the #10 with Memphis shifting to the Ronaldo-role on the left, but for some reason LvG likes this.
Also, long term, as much as I like Herrera, Pereira (or however it's spelt) seems to be the better prospect.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Herrera has to be a fixture in our team if we hope to play some semblance of attacking, free-flowing, pacey football IMO. I'd say he's probably our most important midfielder now for that very reason. Following the acquisition of both Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger we now finally have viable replacements for Carrick, but I don't see anyone else in the team that can offer what Herrera has; that sense of urgency, directness and ability to drive the ball forward from deep. Schneiderlin has it to some extent I suppose but he's primarily a defensive player.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If he doesn't start the season for any other reason apart the fitness(which I doubt will be the reason) van Gaal is an idiot.

Kaos

FFS could you lot possibly wait for the season to start instead of hysterically concluding that Herrera is off in the winter.

Its pre-season, if Herrera is still being benched come January, then we do have a cause for concern. Otherwise shut up and enjoy the start to the season.

Pogue Mahone

Herrera has to be a fixture in our team if we hope to play some semblance of attacking, free-flowing, pacey football IMO. I'd say he's probably our most important midfielder now for that very reason. Following the acquisition of both Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger we now finally have viable replacements for Carrick, but I don't see anyone else in the team that can offer what Herrera has; that sense of urgency, directness and ability to drive the ball forward from deep. Schneiderlin has it to some extent I suppose but he's primarily a defensive player.
That's not something Hererra does at all.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Ever think maybe Smalling and Herrera are in the '2nd half squad' to provide a bit of quality and leadership amongst so many youth players.

Doubt very much it's a black and white case of first and second choice.

Calm yourselves, some of these posts are tragic.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ever think maybe Smalling and Herrera are in the '2nd half squad' to provide a bit of quality and leadership amongst so many youth players.

I was just going to say that. There is no way he would throw 11 kids on in the 2nd half. The three experienced players as you say gave them a steady influence. We have a squad it will be utilised. The ones saying he will be sold in the winter. Oh yeah, just as we hit the business end of europe we sell one of our better players and obviously everyone knows there are going to be no injuries etc up to then. We are Manchester United just wait until they land back in Manchester, somebody will pick up an injury it is inevitable. Also I seem to remember everyone going overboard about our kids after last pre-season. Some will get there chance, some will be loaned out. Pre-season friendlies are great but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, experience counts.

RedStarUnited

Would also explain why Basti was on the young team too.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

There's a reason why they were the ones there chosen "to provide quality and leadership". If both the first half and second half teams had a mix of young and senior players then there'd be no point in reading into it, but that's not what happened. The team in the first half was exclusively filled with players from the first team. The team in the second half was filled with players on the fringes (many of whom were young). Unfortunately Smalling and Herrera are on the fringes. I don't see any point in denying that.

Duafc

Village Lemon
There's a reason why they were the ones there chosen "to provide quality and leadership". If both the first half and second half teams had a mix of young and senior players then there'd be no point in reading into it, but that's not what happened. The team in the first half was exclusively filled with players from the first team. The team in the second half was filled with players on the fringes (many of whom were young). Unfortunately Smalling and Herrera are on the fringes. I don't see any point in denying that.
Conjecture.

Smalling is Van Gaals 1st choice CB imo, Hererra may have more competition this year but I don't think there's any cause for what's being said in here.

beergod

Smalling will likely get in when Phil attempts some kamikaze tackle and brains himself on the goalposts.
I think Smalling is still first choice, but I can definitely see Jones doing that. :lol::nervous:

The Chicken Littles have been going a bit crazy over something that only seems logical when you look at the teams that LvG sent out. We brought loads of attacking midfielders and wide players on tour and have less midfield options that can play as a 6/8. The only other option was to play Fellaini and LvG didn't do that until Schweinsteiger was hurt.

Mali_Zeus

I jnust get the feeling LVG doesnt rate him. I think he wont play any game when the season starts. Even if 10 players get injured. Unlike all other players he works hard in training and this is how LVG awards that.. Baffling.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I hope he gets into that advanced mid spot which Depay is occupying right now. His eye for a pass is wasted if he's playing deep. It would be a travesty if he doesn't start the first game.

DomesticTadpole

He said he wants two players for every position, so there will always someone will lose out in certain games. There will be games that suit Ander, games that suit Juan and the same with the midfield. It will only take the pace of the game to drop and the OT to start singing Attack, Attack and he will change it. Also we are bound to get injuries, we aren't Chelsea.

Varun

Staff
Memphis-Herrera-Mata > Young-Memphis-Mata imo. Hope to see this tried out.

DomesticTadpole

Why are people so sure he'd be great in nr. 10 position and he should have a divine right for that spot?
It's more Louis that said he was a No 10. I think he is more a No.8 tbh. Maybe Louis is in conversion mood again. The goalie signing has buggered his chances of being in goal. We will see anyway, the squad is definitely improving in quality now and should be capable of coping with any eventuality.

Mali_Zeus

It's more Louis that said he was a No 10. I think he is more a No.8 tbh. Maybe Louis is in conversion mood again. The goalie signing has buggered his chances of being in goal. We will see anyway, the squad is definitely improving in quality now and should be capable of coping with any eventuality.
I think he's more a nr. 8 too. But as I said I dont get that obsession about Herrera being nr. 10. Sure we must see it in practise but we havent seen it till now and many think it's perfect solution already.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Why are people so sure he'd be great in nr. 10 position and he should have a divine right for that spot?
I don't think there's a #10 in a plain 4-3-3. The two wide forwards and one of the midfielders are expected to pitch in with the goals with the striker. The advanced mid fairly plays like a #8 ahead of the two holding players, which is what he has bought with the Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Carrick rotation.

The system he's been playing in the summer so far is a 4-4-1-1, which is again different from the 4-1-4-1 he played successfully at the end of last season.

Mali_Zeus

I don't think there's a #10 in a plain 4-3-3. The two wide forwards and one of the midfielders are expected to pitch in with the goals with the striker. The advanced mid fairly plays like a #8 ahead of the two holding players, which is what he has bought with the Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Carrick rotation.

The system he's been playing in the summer so far is a 4-4-1-1, which is again different from the 4-1-4-1 he played successfully at the end of last season.
Hm I agree.
I dont know thing with Herrera is that he can play multiple positions, even a holding pm, although as not as good as CM or nr. 10 or advanced mid.

Question234

Every player in the squad has to constantly "prove himself". That's how competition for places works. Having signed two top class players that play the same position as him, Hererra will know that the competition for his place just got tougher. He's said as much himself.
The difference between when he plays and when he doesn't is such a contrast.

We don't have our best 11 if herrera isn't in midfield imo, the second half against barca looked that much more aggresive because of him. Always going forward, always looking for his man.

maybe that's why lvg likes to drop him.

Mali_Zeus

The difference between when he plays and when he doesn't is such a contrast.

We don't have our best 11 if herrera isn't in midfield imo, the second half against barca looked that much more aggresive because of him. Always going forward, always looking for his man.

maybe that's why lvg likes to drop him.
I dont think that's the case.

Also we looked agressive cause all the youngsters were agressive and active, not just him.

Also as I said earlier in some other thread although he was great last season bigger difference was when we didnt have Carrick in the team, not Herrera.

Varun

Staff
No one in the team has a divine right to any spot. Seen it suggested anywhere regarding Herrera as the #10?

Regarding the 1st bit of your post, he has played there before in Spain. Also, whilst I agree he is better off as an 8, it's pretty evident that the middle 2 LVG is going for would be one of the 4 he named. Of our current #10 options, Mata and Herrera are the obvious 2. Memphis has played on the left most of his career and seeing as our 1st choice for the position currently is Young, we can easily upgrade the same.

I feel Herrera adds to the team what no one else does. Brings a certain fluidity which is why I want him on the pitch. As things stand, unless we're chasing a game, it seems it's as a #10 or not at all.

Mali_Zeus

No one in the team has a divine right to any spot. Seen it suggested anywhere regarding Herrera as the #10?

Regarding the 1st bit of your post, he has played there before in Spain. Also, whilst I agree he is better off as an 8, it's pretty evident that the middle 2 LVG is going for would be one of the 4 he named. Of our current #10 options, Mata and Herrera are the obvious 2. Memphis has played on the left most of his career and seeing as our 1st choice for the position currently is Young, we can easily upgrade the same.

I feel Herrera adds to the team what no one else does. Brings a certain fluidity which is why I want him on the pitch. As things stand, unless we're chasing a game, it seems it's as a #10 or not at all.
I think Pereira will be his competitor for that nr. 10 too. Or so I hope cause the kid looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.