Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Lacked serious quality on Saturday. Can be a good player on his day but all in all, we have to do better

Shark

@NotShark
He’s been a decent player for us, who for all the talk of him being a terrific leader, hasn’t actually led us to all that much when you hold us to the standard we should be at. In SAF’s reign he’d have been a squad player at best.

Wallez

I wouldn't say that Herrera is a fantastic leader, but he contributes to the fighting spirit of the team by leading by example. He is a decent player in terms of his football abilities, but his main strength has been his mentality. If it turns out that he wants to go to PSG for the extra money, he hasn't got his heart in Manchester after all, and should be shipped out. This might actually be a blessing in disguise, as loosing Herrera means that we have to bring in a new first-choice central midfielder. If Herrera had stayed, we would probably have settled for the decent option of Herrera with Fred, McTominay and Pereira as contenders, but now we would probably have to bring in a solid player.

LeftyBlaster

Cannot believe the amount of people who are happy to see him go. Is he the best midfielder in the world? No. Is he an immense player for us in a period of time where we might realistically struggle to find a replacement? Yes.

IRELANDUNITED

Cannot believe the amount of people who are happy to see him go. Is he the best midfielder in the world? No. Is he an immense player for us in a period of time where we might realistically struggle to find a replacement? Yes.

I think it's more a case of not being too heartbroken if he goes rather than being happy about him going. Herrera came across as someone who loved the club but if he is unwilling to sign a new contract and goes to PSG for extra money can he love us all that much? Plus if we replace him with a better player, which we should, it might end up being a good thing he leaves.

Ekeke

I think it's more a case of not being too heartbroken if he goes rather than being happy about him going. Herrera came across as someone who loved the club but if he is unwilling to sign a new contract and goes to PSG for extra money can he love us all that much? Plus if we replace him with a better player, which we should, it might end up being a good thing he leaves.
Dont confuse love with professionalism and enthusiasm for the club you're playing for.

However, lets say you did love a club and they left it till the last minute to offer you a contract and while a bunch of other players are being paid way too much the club arent willing to give you the 6th highest amount at the club despite being a starter and 1 of the best players this season. Can you see why a really good club coming in for you and offering you more money might make you feel more valued?

Money is obviously part of it. But I think you're missing the bigger picture.

ForestRGoinUp

Is a 30-year old squad player worth having if it means the club has to bend over backwards, just because he embodies the "spirit of the club"? I really don't think so.

For one, in Ole we have someone who can bring the United spirit to the dressing room better than pretty much everyone. Then there's Phelan and Carrick (and dare I say Ashley Young).

If Herrera was at least four or five years younger and a guaranteed starter then maybe his and his agents' tantrums could be worth dealing with.

But if he's pulling this shit right now, especially after what we did in Paris against PSG, then he's losing favour with me really really really quickly.
Don't you dare.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't blame him for trying to earn that bag but we have to think of the possible ramifications for each player we'll sign afterwards or extend their contracts.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
No hard feelings over this. Of course he’s going to go to PSG for more money. At the same time, I’m glad the club may be past the stage of throwing silly wages at good but not great 30-somethings.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I really like Herrera, so I'd be sad to see him go.
As many have probably already said, we can't offer massive contracts to players pushing 30, unless they're a special player.
The real problem is that ideally Matic would be replaced in the team next season rather than Herrera.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is a 30-year old squad player worth having if it means the club has to bend over backwards, just because he embodies the "spirit of the club"? I really don't think so.

For one, in Ole we have someone who can bring the United spirit to the dressing room better than pretty much everyone. Then there's Phelan and Carrick (and dare I say Ashley Young).

If Herrera was at least four or five years younger and a guaranteed starter then maybe his and his agents' tantrums could be worth dealing with.

But if he's pulling this shit right now, especially after what we did in Paris against PSG, then he's losing favour with me really really really quickly.
I've always rated Herrera and he's definitely first choice for us. However I agree that he's not a player you break the bank for. One of his key strengths is his stamina and worm rate and he's nearing 30 isn't he? I'd like us to keep him but we don't need to overboard in giving him a huge rise.

LeftyBlaster

Dont confuse love with professionalism and enthusiasm for the club you're playing for.

However, lets say you did love a club and they left it till the last minute to offer you a contract and while a bunch of other players are being paid way too much the club arent willing to give you the 6th highest amount at the club despite being a starter and 1 of the best players this season. Can you see why a really good club coming in for you and offering you more money might make you feel more valued?

Money is obviously part of it. But I think you're missing the bigger picture.
Exactly this. The way we go about doing contracts is so shiteously stupid. We've mistreated him. And risk Pogba by doing the same shit.

ForestRGoinUp

Exactly this. The way we go about doing contracts is so shiteously stupid. We've mistreated him. And risk Pogba by doing the same shit.
Where is the mistreatment? We tried working out a longer extension with him in late 2017, he didn't like it, and the extra year was triggered. Now we've offered him near his maximum value, and he has yet to sign it. I struggle to find any mistreatment there. Just the normal stuff that happens in contract negotiations. It seems he's maybe left the door open to leaving for longer than people want to believe. His talk of love for the club is just salesman stuff that people fall for.

Chairman Steve

I guess his injury is he cricked his neck when PSG made his head turn. He has the personality but lacks the talent. There are better players out there than him and they’re certainly obtainable in my opinion.

WPMUFC

probably the most hilarious part of this decline, our best leader on the pitch (herrera), the player that was trying to inspire Sanchez out of the funk, the player that was giving EVERYTHING for the badge was not even lined up for a new contract until the last possible minute. Thus leaving PSG to destroy us in wages.

Meanwhile this utter dross of a squad get their 200k and then stop playing. We gave contracts to Smalling, Young, Martial, Jones. How on earth did we let the contract of the only leader in our club get so low that PSG could feck us over and let him walk on a free. Were his demands too high? Yes. But we allowed it to get to that point.

Herrera gives everything for the MUFC badge, he's off to PSG, Martial is doing jogs up and down the wing, gets 200k.

Banter FC loses a leader and gets a clown show.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah he’s the only player with a bit of leadership in him. He’s not one of these super nice fashion guys that we seem to buy these days and he’s more than likely gone for free but we will give pogba 500k 2 years before his deal is up because we are run by morons

JawZ

Our true captain of this club. How we managed to mis-manage him and decide to pay other scrubs instead. Pure comedy.

spiriticon

Guys we gave him a contract but it's HIM who doesn't want to sign. It's not us.

Quite frankly, we need a wage and player cull, so he's free to go. Along with anyone else who think's he's worth 300k a week.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Guys we gave him a contract but it's HIM who doesn't want to sign. It's not us.

Quite frankly, we need a wage and player cull, so he's free to go. Along with anyone else who think's he's worth 300k a week.
I can understand that. But it's still not utilizing a player who's still here, and given has us commanding/match winning performances in the midfield.

el3mel

He was basically the only player in our midfield that cares to press and run the entire game.

We'll be left with a full lazy midfield that barely run and just jog around after him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He would have made zero difference today. Our problem lies deeper than just players. We don't even know what to do with the ball.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's so obvious what he brings to this side, his aggression, his intensity, his defensive and spacial awareness; and the longer we play without him the clearer it becomes. Incredible there are still so many who refused to acknowledge what he brings to this side. Our problems are found far deeper than just his absence of course, but we certainly wouldn't have lost in the many in which we did today if he had played.

Champagne Football

£300,000 a week for a Darren Fletcher. No chance. He they type of player who's performance level would go back to being that of a squad player once he got his £300,000 per week deal. He's never been consistent here and McTominay will be at his level next season.

For the money Herrera wants you should get a world class midfielder who does a lot more than just snap at heels such as a Saul Niguez, a Busquets, a Fernandinho etc

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
£300,000 a week for a Darren Fletcher. No chance. He they type of player who's performance level would go back to being that of a squad player once he got his £300,000 per week deal. He's never been consistent here and McTominay will be at his level next season.

For the money Herrera wants you should get a world class midfielder who does a lot more than just snap at heels such as a Saul Niguez, a Busquets, a Fernandinho etc
How do you know he wants £300k a week? Cos one of the Glazer sock puppets in the media claims that? All the stuff from France says PSG are offering £150k a week, which is less than Rojo gets. Is Ander not entitled to believe he should be paid more than Rojo considering he does much more for United?

izec

Yes let's worship the guy who wants to leave
He wants to leave because we didnt value him from the start. You have to value every player in your squad if you want to keep him. He didnt play as much as he should from the start, we didnt show we wanted to keep him earlier etc... Then PSG comes in and makes him a better offer we ever did. I genuinely believe he likes the club, even if he overblows it in interviews, but the PSG offer is better and they are in a better state. Even besides all of this mismanaging and contract talk, i dont think he thinks we can turn it around in the coming years and be competitive.

el3mel

Earning 75k while dross like Young are getting contracts and earning far more than him but we should be mad at him asking to be evaluated at least as a main player. :lol:

Canagel

He was basically the only player in our midfield that cares to press and run the entire game.

We'll be left with a full lazy midfield that barely run and just jog around after him.
Wasn't he overran by the wolves and watford midfielders recently? And didn't recall him creating much anyway. Hardly a big loss to us.

yamo123x

I think herrera gives his all. Thats why many fans love him. He is a team player and without him more often than not our midfield is a shambles

Nick7

I just prefer sticking to facts. I'm sure you'd prefer that if someone was suggesting you did something wrong.
We don't know the facts. All we know is its reported that he's signed a contract with PSG and absolutely nobody has refuted that.

Status
Not open for further replies.