5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobbs

Where in that post did I make any excuse for Pereira? He's been atrocious for the past few games
I read the exchange and thought exactly the same. I swear some posters don't bother reading posts but just pick out a few key words that trigger them.

Agree with yourself about the U21's. The no striker situation alone means the team is handicapped.

jb8521

I read the exchange and thought exactly the same. I swear some posters don't bother reading posts but just pick out a few key words that trigger them.

Agree with yourself about the U21's. The no striker situation alone means the team is handicapped.
Yeah the team has been really lacking a focal point in the last few games. Quite a few moves have ended with passes or crosses into good areas but nobody there to take advantage. Even the lads who aren't strikers but could come in and play there like Doughty and Mitchell have been injured as well. The under 18s have had the same problem without Rashford as well but looks like they'll bring in a couple of strikers for next season

Dobbs

Yeah the team has been really lacking a focal point in the last few games. Quite a few moves have ended with passes or crosses into good areas but nobody there to take advantage. Even the lads who aren't strikers but could come in and play there like Doughty and Mitchell have been injured as well. The under 18s have had the same problem without Rashford as well but looks like they'll bring in a couple of strikers for next season
Crazy that young lads playing only every other week can get injured so often. Thought Harrop was doing very well but don't think I've seen him for at least a month.

On Pereira I think he needs to go back to basics. Get his short passing back on song and the more elaborate stuff will follow. He surely can't spend another season in the U21's though.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Where in that post did I make any excuse for Pereira? He's been atrocious for the past few games
Never said you did. Just a running theme of this thread where people excuse his bad attitude, lack of respect and poor displays just because he is talented.

Was just replying to you to point out that Chelsea were under strength too. That's not an excuse for Pereira either as je should perform at that level regardless of who he is playing with/against.

jb8521

Crazy that young lads playing only every other week can get injured so often. Thought Harrop was doing very well but don't think I've seen him for at least a month.

On Pereira I think he needs to go back to basics. Get his short passing back on song and the more elaborate stuff will follow. He surely can't spend another season in the U21's though.
Harrop's injured as well, that's the problem the past few games, not only are the strikers unavailable but a lot of the creative players are as well. Yeah Pereira had outgrown under 21s football last season, he was only put back into the under 21s in January to get match fitness and for the first few games he was very impressive but for the past few games he's been very poor and hasn't looked interested. Hopefully he'll get a decent loan next season

Spock

I just don't get it. In pre-season Pereira was playing at a level well above most of his teammates. Sure, that's pre-season, but he's barely gotten more than a few minutes of first team action sine then.

Litch

Problem is like so many of the young players is the physically haven't got the attributes to play in the Prem or aren't quick enough either.

With this in mind, who would he displace in the team...

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Scored a lovely goal! I've not really rated him from when he's played for the first team but he's doing well tonight.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
His talent is undeniable imo, but tonight he was full package. Work rate, attitude, intelligence, discipline.

If he continues like that he will be a first team regular by this time next season.

Dobbs

Played very well tonight. Lots of ability but just needs to tighten up his passing. Quite frustrating because if he can do that the first team beckons.

Dec9003

I thought he was really good today. I loved the goal that he scored but he looked really up for it as well. He was taking on players for fun and I'm pretty sure he was up front, so to say it's not necessarily his natural position he did well.
He should definitely be involved to some extent between now and the end of the season.
He must have had some serious attitude problems to not be in the side over the likes of Lingard and Mata.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I thought he was really good today. I loved the goal that he scored but he looked really up for it as well. He was taking on players for fun and I'm pretty sure he was up front, so to say it's not necessarily his natural position he did well.
He should definitely be involved to some extent between now and the end of the season.
He must have had some serious attitude problems to not be in the side over the likes of Lingard and Mata.
He did play in an age group world cup in 2015, it is quite possible that he simply went through a patch where he was quite jaded.

m1y2

just start him for two, three games instead of Mata/Jesse and see what he can do, he can basically play what Lingard can play so I am not sure why is he so hindered by manager...

Dobbs

When/if he gets a chance I think it's important he comes in and plays for the team. You get the sense with him and Januzaj they think the best way to impress LvG is to do something individually brilliant. If that's the case I don't think they could be more wrong.

Get in the team, play for the team and establish yourself. Then let the individual stuff come through.

Dec9003

When/if he gets a chance I think it's important he comes in and plays for the team. You get the sense with him and Januzaj they think the best way to impress LvG is to do something individually brilliant. If that's the case I don't think they could be more wrong.

Get in the team, play for the team and establish yourself. Then let the individual stuff come through.
Yeah I agree, with Van Gaal it's almost better to have a quiet debut and get the simple stuff right like Tim did when he came on against Arsenal.
In a sense I understand Van Gaal not playing him, because when he has played he had been sloppy on the ball. But given all the young lads that are playing so well he might as well get 30 minutes at least.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah I agree, with Van Gaal it's almost better to have a quiet debut and get the simple stuff right like Tim did when he came on against Arsenal.
In a sense I understand Van Gaal not playing him, because when he has played he had been sloppy on the ball. But given all the young lads that are playing so well he might as well get 30 minutes at least.
I think both Adnan and Andreas are too expressive for LVG. If we get Mourinho in next I am not sure he would favour either of them. It would be a shame as I am a great fan of Pereira especially.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think both Adnan and Andreas are too expressive for LVG. If we get Mourinho in next I am not sure he would favour either of them. It would be a shame as I am a great fan of Pereira especially.
What's the point of getting him if he doesn't like expressive players? Is that the Utd way?

Bwuk

Wouldn't blame him if he leaves at end of the season in all honesty.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
he signed a new contract a year ago, but i can't help but wonder if he's regretted it.

granted, i'm sure it's for obscene money that he wouldn't have got anywhere else...

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Think he will be on loan next season.
i think in regards to a lot of players, we won't have a hot clue until it's known which manager will be in charge. new managers see different things in different players which sometimes come as a surprise. ashley young, fellaini and valencia were all thought to have gone by now, but like cockroaches after a nuclear holocaust, they're still here.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
What's the point of getting him if he doesn't like expressive players? Is that the Utd way?
Mourinho likes expressive players. As long as they work hard and off the ball and show a certain amount if defensive rigidity then he actually promotes expression and natural talent on the ball.

LouisDanGaal

Mourinho likes expressive players. As long as they work hard and off the ball and show a certain amount if defensive rigidity then he actually promotes expression and natural talent on the ball.
Exactly, nobody seems to accept that Mourinho might like smaller less athletic players but he certainly knows how to use them. Fabregas and Hazard were two of chelseas most important players last season, as well as Oscar being an important squad player and in addition he brought in Pedro for this season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Exactly, nobody seems to accept that Mourinho might like smaller less athletic players but he certainly knows how to use them. Fabregas and Hazard were two of chelseas most important players last season, as well as Oscar being an important squad player and in addition he brought in Pedro for this season.
What worries me is Mourinho doesn't usually start fielding young players who are not established already, hopefully he sees something in this lad and gives him a chance

LouisDanGaal

What worries me is Mourinho doesn't usually start fielding young players who are not established already, hopefully he sees something in this lad and gives him a chance
Yeah that part is true, I think he tends to be at teams who want immediate success though and the benefit of playing youth isn't usually as immediate as it has been in the case of Rashford for us. Players like Martial or Shaw wouldn't have any problem getting a place in the team but others would have a struggle. Its hard to tell therefore if he is willing to give youth a chance but it cant be said we are a club who stands by their managers methods anymore if we do get rid of LVG this summer therefore it would be daft of him to not place results and trophies above all else as he would be risking his job. If he would have come in straight after fergie he might have been able to show a different side of his management but now its at the point where we want immediate success.

midnightmare

Yeah but you could spin it the other way. The fact that LVG is starting Fellaini over Pereira suggests Pereira isn't that big a talent, certainly not in Pogba's class.

This is LVG we are talking about - a man who has given first-team spots to Blackett, McNair and Lingard over the past couple of years. None of those players is ever going to be a world-beater. So if Pereira can't break into the team, maybe he's just not that good - or at least not that good yet.

Does anyone think LVG would have passed up the chance to play Pogba had their spells at Old Trafford coincided?
Because of course, Pogba was getting chances over the likes of Park and Rafael in midfield? It's clear that Pereira deserves a run of games - but LvG is so intent on stamping out creativity that he'd rather play Fellaini instead. Why just Pereira? Even Herrera hasn't really got chances even when fit because he is creative and therefore tends to lose the ball a bit more often. Also, frankly, LvG has only brought in youth team players when there's absolutely nobody else left to play those positions. I would have agreed with your assessment if Fergie was the manager. Not so much with LvG given his stint thus far...

Harrop's injured as well, that's the problem the past few games, not only are the strikers unavailable but a lot of the creative players are as well. Yeah Pereira had outgrown under 21s football last season, he was only put back into the under 21s in January to get match fitness and for the first few games he was very impressive but for the past few games he's been very poor and hasn't looked interested. Hopefully he'll get a decent loan next season
Why loan? He's played a WC in the summer and maybe was jaded (someone else pointed this out too). More importantly, with young kids you need to handle them right to keep motivation levels up. Even in the corporate world, I've seen people go into periods of under-par performance when they're ignored / sidelined for something they perceive as not being their fault. In Pereira, you have a kid who is likely to be extremely confident and aware of his own skills and yet is being forced to see the likes of Fellaini, Mata and even Lingard playing in positions where he's a natural (and they're not). He's seeing the team struggle and yet he continues to not get a chance. It can't be helping his confidence or his motivation and let's not lose sight of his age before castigating him for this.

Personally, I really rate the kid and wish he'd get a run of games in the first team. Given how p*ss-poor our midfield has been almost all season, he can't harm performance and we'd at least have the chance to actually assess how good he really is!

prath92

Because of course, Pogba was getting chances over the likes of Park and Rafael in midfield? It's clear that Pereira deserves a run of games - but LvG is so intent on stamping out creativity that he'd rather play Fellaini instead. Why just Pereira? Even Herrera hasn't really got chances even when fit because he is creative and therefore tends to lose the ball a bit more often. Also, frankly, LvG has only brought in youth team players when there's absolutely nobody else left to play those positions. I would have agreed with your assessment if Fergie was the manager. Not so much with LvG given his stint thus far...
He has. More than enough chances.

podurban2

What about Azpilicueta, wasn't he fairly young and unproven yet got full confidence from Mourinho? I can see Pereira slowly taking over Mata's role in the team (also more so likely with Mourinho in charge) next season unless we reinforce our #10 situation this Summer.

sajeev

What about Azpilicueta, wasn't he fairly young and unproven yet got full confidence from Mourinho?
He was 23 years old, with well over 150 league appearances when Mourinho came to Chelsea the second time.

podurban2

He was 23 years old, with well over 150 league appearances when Mourinho came to Chelsea the second time.
Ah got ya. Yeah that's quite worrisome for Andreas if Mourinho takes over in the Summer. Perhaps he could get a successful loan spell at a PL club, which wouldn't be the worst thing for his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.