5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantona'sCollar

His contract renewal may prove to be the signing of the year - huge talent. Hope he sees a lot of game-time this season, as he has massive potential. A future star in the making.

ZDwyr

I would play him instead of Young in the LW position.
I would probably start Young there for the beginning of the season, but would make it known that Pereira is very close to taking the spot. Should definitely get minutes off the bench in the first few matches anyway.

Mani

Hope he gets more sub appearance to start up with.

Obiorahking_

He will be more productive than Young over the course of a season, as would Lingard.
I highly doubt that. So you think a very inexperienced Premier League player, playing in a position that is relatively new to him, is automatically going to be a better player than one of our best attacking players last season. Quite stupid really.

kundalini

I highly doubt that. So you think a very inexperienced Premier League player, playing in a position that is relatively new to him, is automatically going to be a better player than one of our best attacking players last season. Quite stupid really.
Young managed 2 goals, 5 assists in 23 starts and 3 sub appearances in the PL last season. His defensive work was far more impressive than his modest attacking productivity. If I could get Squawka to stop crashing, I could tell you how many chances per game Young created; from memory, it was nothing remotely special. It is not unrealistic to hope an alternative option could offer more than 7 g + a in 23 starts.

Swaters16

Young managed 2 goals, 5 assists in 23 starts and 3 sub appearances in the PL last season. His defensive work was far more impressive than his modest attacking productivity. If I could get Squawka to stop crashing, I could tell you how many chances per game Young created; from memory, it was nothing remotely special. It is not unrealistic to hope an alternative option could offer more than 7 g + a in 23 starts.
Agreed, the consistency wouldn't be there for Perieira but 7 goals +assists in more than 20 starts is pretty poor. It would not be surprising if a talented kid could match those numbers or better them in the same amount of games.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
I agree Young didn't put in a special performance last season in terms of end product. But is Pereira going to be any improvement over Young in that position with our team lacking pace in general? When play is stretched, a winger need to cover a lot of area and while Pereira has good acceleration, he doesn't seem to possess winger kind of speed, wouldn't that be a bit of problem for a winger esp when Mata on other side is same? Wouldn't he be more suited to be tried out in position where Memphis played in pre-season where he played in second half against San Jose in pre-season and even got a goal?

I am genuinely excited by his potential and am positive he's going to get lot of chances this season considering LvG played him in all games including PSG.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
On the contrary, it is 'stupid' of you, in typical caf fashion tbh, to read a post, and then answer the one that you would like to have seen as opposed to the one that is actually written. Ashley Young had a great influence on our play last season, something that the youngsters may not be able to replicate immediately. This is why I didn't say they would be 'better'. At the same time, one of our 'best attacking players last season' managed what, 3 goals. Yes, I believe that would be bettered by either Lingard or Pereira if they played the same amount of games, as they have a far greater goalscoring instinct. Ashley Young is not a goal threat, Lingard, particularly, is.

Obiorahking_

On the contrary, it is 'stupid' of you, in typical caf fashion tbh, to read a post, and then answer the one that you would like to have seen as opposed to the one that is actually written. Ashley Young had a great influence on our play last season, something that the youngsters may not be able to replicate immediately. This is why I didn't say they would be 'better'. At the same time, one of our 'best attacking players last season' managed what, 3 goals. Yes, I believe that would be bettered by either Lingard or Pereira if they played the same amount of games, as they have a far greater goalscoring instinct. Ashley Young is not a goal threat, Lingard, particularly, is.
It doesn't effect anything. I doubt peirera, playing a different role than he is used to and playing football at the highest level for the first time is going to produce more. It could be possible but I highly doubt it, Pereira does not stick out to me at all on the left wing against Psg because he has to facilitate plays rather than playing like an inside forward. If Pereira was playing in his favored CAM position or furtherst cm up the pitch then I would agree with you.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm thinking he has earned coming off the bench against Spurs like he did last season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It doesn't effect anything. I doubt peirera, playing a different role than he is used to and playing football at the highest level for the first time is going to produce more. It could be possible but I highly doubt it, Pereira does not stick out to me at all on the left wing against Psg because he has to facilitate plays rather than playing like an inside forward. If Pereira was playing in his favored CAM position or furtherst cm up the pitch then I would agree with you.
You don't think he'd beat 3 goals from the left all season? He'd probably score at least one free-kick for a start.

Obiorahking_

You don't think he'd beat 3 goals from the left all season? He'd probably score at least one free-kick for a start.
If it was from the right I think he is more capable. When he played there against San Jose, his off the ball movements looked really good and he looked quite goal threatening. When he plays on the left, he is the one who has to put crosses in or put in some decent through balls, much like Ashley young does as well. It is just pre season. So hopefully we can see back centrally where he really produces imo.

ZDwyr

Disappointed we haven't seen him yet. Has he even been on the bench?

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Disappointed we haven't seen him yet. Has he even been on the bench?
I am also quite disappointed he hasn't made it into the reckonings. Seemed to have caught LvG eyes over pre-season.
But considering he haven't played many first team matches yet into his United career and the disastrous start we had last season, LvG is perhaps right to start with proven or at least some one with some experience at top level this season. I think he may play in the UCL qualifier this week though if we are able to wrap up the tie around mid-second half.

ZDwyr

Did you really expect him to play? We have very good options in midfield, will not be easy for him, especially now at the start.
Well he showed more in pre-season than Januzaj and he got an appearance so I guess I did expect to see him in some capacity. I am not even sure he has been on the bench though, which is even more surprising.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well he showed more in pre-season than Januzaj and he got an appearance so I guess I did expect him to make an appearance. I am not even sure he has been on the bench though, which is even more surprising.
He was on the bench vs Spurs

izec

Well he showed more in pre-season than Januzaj and he got an appearance so I guess I did expect to see him in some capacity. I am not even sure he has been on the bench though, which is even more surprising.
Yeah but Lingard was promising too in pre season. Thats not how it works though. I am sure van Gaal would play him if he would think that he is the right guy for this or that game.

Wasnt he on the bench against Spurs? I still think next season he could attack properly, for now his games will be limited, unless he can take his chance if given and establish himself.

ZDwyr

He was on the bench vs Spurs
OK then, thanks.

Yeah but Lingard was promising too in pre season. Thats not how it works though. I am sure van Gaal would play him if he would think that he is the right guy for this or that game.

Wasnt he on the bench against Spurs? I still think next season he could attack properly, for now his games will be limited, unless he can take his chance if given and establish himself.
He was more promising than Ligard I felt, plus he is the more highly rated player at the Club. He may still appear in the next few games anyway. I'm just disappointed he looked almost our best player in pre-season and didn't get a go before Januzaj.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'd like to see him too, but I don't think it would be wise to throw him on when we only have slim 1-0 leads against Spurs and away to Villa. If we're leading by two goals against Newcastle and he's on the bench I'd expect him to come on purely because he's earned it in pre-season (Obviously he could've been poor in training the last few weeks though). If we're comfortable after the first leg of the qualifier he could play a role in the return leg too.
When's the Capital One Cup starting?

marlowe78

I'd like to see him too, but I don't think it would be wise to throw him on when we only have slim 1-0 leads against Spurs and away to Villa. If we're leading by two goals against Newcastle and he's on the bench I'd expect him to come on purely because he's earned it in pre-season (Obviously he could've been poor in training the last few weeks though). If we're comfortable after the first leg of the qualifier he could play a role in the return leg too.
When's the Capital One Cup starting?
A bit late to reply but we have Ipswich in the 3rd round. I expect that to be his first start.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hopefully with Adnan gone he gets a chance in the 10 role. Think he's ready to impact this season. Looks to have he hunger and appetite for it as well as the ability.

Devil may care

Maybe LvG has singled him out as the one he's going to give chances to instead of Januzaj and Wilson.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Maybe LvG has singled him out as the one he's going to give chances to instead of Januzaj and Wilson.
I think this will happen. Tbh so far so good these past few days in my opinion, things are looking interesting squad wise.

Devil may care

I think this will happen. Tbh so far so good these past few days in my opinion, things are looking interesting squad wise.
I can't agree, I like Martial's potential but loaning/selling all these players and not getting in some much needed proven quality in attack, while also losing our world class keeper and replacing him with a flappy muppet keeper, is not good at all IMO.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I can't agree, I like Martial's potential but loaning/selling all these players and not getting in some much needed proven quality in attack, while also losing our world class keeper and replacing him with a flappy muppet keeper, is not good at all IMO.
Personally I didn't think Wilson or Januzaj were going to add anything of great quality to our side, DDG needed to go and whilst I would loved to have done Martial deal earlier as well as bring in an experienced head, at least something has been attempted.. it might be a complete disaster but I would rather take a punt then just keep the squad as it was. I would love a last minute cheeky bid for Stones now.

rpitchfo

my nearly had a heart attack when I saw this bumped....thought he was off.

Devil may care

Personally I didn't think Wilson or Januzaj were going to add anything of great quality to our side, DDG needed to go and whilst I would loved to have done Martial deal earlier as well as bring in an experienced head, at least something has been attempted.. it might be a complete disaster but I would rather take a punt then just keep the squad as it was. I would love a last minute cheeky bid for Stones now.
Do you think Martial will add a tonne more than those 2? Given he is roughly the same age and will have to get used to the league. However regardless of that we need depth, we are threadbare in attack so I can't see why we'd get rid of more forwards. As for De Gea, he should have been either properly man managed or we should have done the deal 2 months ago and got a proper PL suited keeper in, this last minute stuff has left us with a keeper that is no good for the league we compete in. I'd rather a last minute move for Griezmann or Reus, we need another forward more than anything.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Do you think Martial will add a tonne more than those 2? Given he is roughly the same age and will have to get used to the league. However regardless of that we need depth, we are threadbare in attack so I can't see why we'd get rid of more forwards. As for De Gea, he should have been either properly man managed or we should have done the deal 2 months ago and got a proper PL suited keeper in, this last minute stuff has left us with a keeper that is no good for the league we compete in. I'd rather a last minute move for Griezmann or Reus, we need another forward more than anything.
I think he will yes based on the little I have seen from him. With Januzaj and Wilson I was not convinced, with this kid.. will he make it? I don't know but I'd be willing to take a gamble on someone who might come good than someone I was fairly certain isn't up to it. Agreed on the keeper issue and tbh I was not convinced with the Griezmann rumour, he doesn't strike me as the big fast striker we need.. he's another technical type who would exacerbate our possession obsessed problems. He's a souped up Mata and I think we need bit more pace and physicality. Reus would be fecking awesome.. maybe we can get him next summer?

Devil may care

I think he will yes based on the little I have seen from him. With Januzaj and Wilson I was not convinced, with this kid.. will he make it? I don't know but I'd be willing to take a gamble on someone who might come good than someone I was fairly certain isn't up to it. Agreed on the keeper issue and tbh I was not convinced with the Griezmann rumour, he doesn't strike me as the big fast striker we need.. he's another technical type who would exacerbate our possession obsessed problems. He's a souped up Mata and I think we need bit more pace and physicality. Reus would be fecking awesome.. maybe we can get him next summer?
I like Martial as well I just don't think we needed to loan out Januzaj when we are short of options and in 4 competitions, unless we have another player coming in. Griezmann is faster and can beat a man, I think he'd play Mata's role with a lot of the zip he lacks. As for Reus, well we have 24 hours left, he's the kind of player that can change a seasons prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.