5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jojose

haven't seen a great deal of him until this pre-season and I must say I am impressed how athletic and quick he is.

very excited about him.

its a poor reflection on Moyes that (by all accounts) he tried to convert him into a number 6

Joemo

whistling in the wind
its a poor reflection on Moyes that (by all accounts) he tried to convert him into a number 6
Why would you say something like that when you clearly haven't got a clue? He's never really played as a #6 at any level. He dropped back into a more controlling #8 role in the U21's but I don't think he's ever been seen to be the base of a midfield.

Brightonian

jojose said:
Never happened. Even if it had, Moyes wouldn't have had anything to do with it.

He did start playing a little deeper but only by merit of his starting to take responsibility for controlling the game. He was still very much a #8 or #10. And it worked, too.

EDIT: Or what Joemo said.

mu4c_20le

Strange dig at Moyes. It was probably one of the reserve coaches that made him play deeper, probably Joyce, to teach him responsibility and to better read the game. He used to lose the ball a lot and made poor decisions, and I guess it worked. I watched him last year and I watched him this year, I'm amazed at how much he has progressed. I think he might have broken the invisible barrier.

In Rainbows

He actually played as a 10 during Moyes' year at United and he didn't do well at all.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Well this is first time I've seen the lad. Nice tidy player. He's VERY pretty too! Beckham mkII?

Litch

Great technical ability and would like to see him more central...

Devil may care

Created more in his first 20 minutes than the two senior wide men did all game, but faded once Shaw was removed and that link was lost. Clearly he will need to play centrally to really flourish though,

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
He's a star waiting to burst onto the scene. Can't wait to see more of him next season.

kundalini

I thought that was his worst performance on tour yet he still had some good moments. His crosses were good. Poor free-kick over-hit towards the end.

Probably the best performer on tour. No-one else managed to match his consistency.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I thought that was his worst performance on tour yet he still had some good moments. His crosses were good. Poor free-kick over-hit towards the end.

Probably the best performer on tour. No-one else managed to match his consistency.
Darmian and Memphis probably the closest, but I'd agree. Between them 3 for our best player on tour. Memphis has looked good in every game so far whenever he's received the ball, albeit was quiet vs Barca.

Hopefully Pereira gets plenty of game time though, would add a lot of creativity which we lack.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We played a 10 in the 11, and an 11 in the 10 that second half. Really don't get the manager at times. Certainly at least try them in their preferred roles?

Morpheus 7

If we want to play Darmian, Shaw, Depay Schneiderlin/Bastian, We need to have the rest on, too many changes would be risky.

He looks great. Runs himself into trouble a bit at times but that will stop as he develops further. Glad we got him tied down long term.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
We played a 10 in the 11, and an 11 in the 10 that second half. Really don't get the manager at times. Certainly at least try them in their preferred roles?
Have to say this sort of thing always baffles me. Fans are so restricted and blinkered in their thinking and with respect to players and positions, especially young players.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Have to say this sort of thing always baffles me. Fans are so restricted and blinkered in their thinking and with respect to players and positions, especially young players.
Agree with this. I dont mean anything against anyone but its this type of experimentation that made clubs like barcelona & bayern give up on van gaal; only to later praise him.

As such, i am willing to give him time to try things out because that not only keeps every match interesting but there is almost a recorded transcript of performances under different formations and tactics.

I mean we have a winger/forward now in mata who cuts in on his left foot. Thats a position that mata might not be the best at but it's all based on team work & knowledge of one idea.

Players in their strongest position doesn't nessaserily make us a stronger team.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Excited to see such a young talent coming through! Makes me more happy to see him playing than watching a new "Galactico" coming in

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Agree with this. I dont mean anything against anyone but its this type of experimentation that made clubs like barcelona & bayern give up on van gaal; only to later praise him.

As such, i am willing to give him time to try things out because that not only keeps every match interesting but there is almost a recorded transcript of performances under different formations and tactics.

I mean we have a winger/forward now in mata who cuts in on his left foot. Thats a position that mata might not be the best at but it's all based on team work & knowledge of one idea.

Players in their strongest position doesn't nessaserily make us a stronger team.
Nobody is saying he shouldn't try things on pre season. That said, you don't sign a top with German and not even look at him on the wing. 45 mins in the centre, one game here, one game there - that's fine. But not even 10 mins in the only position Memphis has really ever played as a pro is wrong to me. Van Gaal seems too determined to try and reinvent football for my liking.

Cro

Impressed me on this tour. He really wanted to show what he's got and most of the times, did it. Great technique, good crosses, confident, trying to make things happen. Definitely has to get some games this season. Great talent and exciting to watch.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Excited to see such a young talent coming through! Makes me more happy to see him playing than watching a new "Galactico" coming in
absolutely spot on. means far more to have a guy like pereira come through who clearly wants to be at united and fight for his spot than some mercenary like di maria or falcao.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nobody is saying he shouldn't try things on pre season. That said, you don't sign a top with German and not even look at him on the wing. 45 mins in the centre, one game here, one game there - that's fine. But not even 10 mins in the only position Memphis has really ever played as a pro is wrong to me. Van Gaal seems too determined to try and reinvent football for my liking.
Is it fair to say LVG knows everything Memphis can do on the wing, he doesn't need to see it in pre season. He will now know if he is a valid option in the AM spot, or whether we cannot rely upon him. Same way I see it with blind really in the CB spot. If we do continue with it into the season that's when I will worry.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is it fair to say LVG knows everything Memphis can do on the wing, he doesn't need to see it in pre season. He will now know if he is a valid option in the AM spot, or whether we cannot rely upon him. Same way I see it with blind really in the CB spot. If we do continue with it into the season that's when I will worry.
Fair dues, although according to reports today he'll continue with Blind against Spurs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fair dues, although according to reports today he'll continue with Blind against Spurs.
It's a tricky one but for all we know, LVG could be playing a massive curve ball and trying to trick Spurs.

Knowing LVG though we will be sticking to his Crazy master plan :lol:

I wouldn't even mind if we played a 343 with blind carrying out the ball, but to use him as a CB mainly because he can pass well, it's pretty risky.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's a tricky one but for all we know, LVG could be playing a massive curve ball and trying to trick Spurs.

Knowing LVG though we will be sticking to his Crazy master plan :lol:

I wouldn't even mind if we played a 343 with blind carrying out the ball, but to use him as a CB mainly because he can pass well, it's pretty risky.
That's true.

I do keep comforting myself in the knowledge that surely, LVG must know what he's doing more than I do? That is very likely to be the case in reality, although if it wasn't, it also wouldn't be the first time the pros got it wrong.

But yes, footy seems so simply from my red leather sofa. (my sofa is really fabric, but it is red :()

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Exactly how i see it. Depay is playing centrally because thats where he is the weakest/ with ability to improve. Its especially true since on the wing he cuts in to these positions he has been playing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.