Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parma Dewol

Really disappointing against City and Chelsea. Hope he doesn't develop a habit of fading out of the big games.

Would have preferred to have seen him go off instead of Adnan today. Was offering little going forward and routinely wasted free kicks and corners.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
He did that regularly in his first three years at Madrid when used on the wing as well as Higuain, Benzema and Ozil. Those four regularly were poor in the big games under Mourinho apart from the odd match or moment. Him and Ozil had good stats and were quite productive but they regularly went through patches of bad form and inconsistency. It was last year when Ancelotti put him in midfield that he became world class and a big game player and was absolutely brilliant. He became more consistent and influenced matches (especially the big ones) much more. He is entering his peak now as a player so I am sure he will be better on the wing for United than he was for us as he was still quite young at Madrid. But like I said before, the best football in his career by far has come when playing in midfield. Whether United want to use him that way or have the personnel to fit him into such a formation is a different story. But it is a bit crazy to sign a player for the big money that they spent and not use him in the position where he played his best football by far. The player in his first three seasons on the wing for Madrid was worth nowhere near that amount.
Thanks for that man - great post!

I knew he played his best football last season from mid-field, but its always great to get the best perspective from someone who know's him better & you've gone back a few year also.

If United had Strootman in CM alongside Di Maria & one other, then i'd be alot happier against the stronger teams with playin him there; but havin Blind, Di Maria & Herrera there - we get rolled over. Far too lightweight..

Thats why Fellaini has been a regular the past 2 games & he's actually played very well. The spine of United is as soft as shite & every good team has a strong spine - we dont atm.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Really disappointing against City and Chelsea. Hope he doesn't develop a habit of fading out of the big games.

Would have preferred to have seen him go off instead of Adnan today. Was offering little going forward and routinely wasted free kicks and corners.
In fairness man - Adnan has done f*ck all in the last 2-3 games - same as Mata. He was the 1st guy on everyone's lips to be subbed after Smalling got sent off..

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So ppl are questioning his quality now? First Kagawa, then Mata and now him? Can probably soon add Falcao to that list, too. At what point are we going to start questionning our football/system/ability to adapt to modern football instead of blaming every quality player who drops a few levels once he joins us?

Our football is improving, even today we at least didn't look like we have a ball allergy.
But we are not there yet, at times Di Maria had space but noone to pass to apart from Fellaini, the players weren't making runs.
Anyway he was doing great with Herrera in midfield, put both of them together there again!

jem

His best moments for us have come when he's running (with the ball) from deep in midfield. The opposition struggle to deal with that. On the wing he's a bit more predictable and a bit easier to double up on and deal with. I prefer a midfield three of Blind, Di Maria and Herrera. I think for us, and for Madrid last season, he's a lot more dangerous in that position.

I think people are overreacting a bit regarding his performance today.

He stepped up in the second half and looked better. His corners are atrocious though and rarely beat the first man. Id rather Rooney and RvP back taking them. They whip them in perfectly.
I still remember that breathtaking run he made against QPR, where he ran the length of the pitch (more or less) with the ball before shifting it to Rooney, who eventually teed up Herrera for the goal. Whatever it takes to get him doing that again, we should be doing it. He's still quality on the wing, but the player who scored that goal against Leicester was something else.

jem

So ppl are questioning his quality now? First Kagawa, then Mata and now him? Can probably soon add Falcao to that list, too. At what point are we going to start questionning our football/system/ability to adapt to modern football instead of blaming every quality player who drops a few levels once he joins us?

Our football is improving, even today we at least didn't look like we have a ball allergy.
But we are not there yet, at times Di Maria had space but noone to pass to apart from Fellaini, the players weren't making runs.
Anyway he was doing great with Herrera in midfield, put both of them together there again!
It's part and parcel of how we watch, and more importantly, comment on matches these days. I wasn't on this board in the early 2000s, and I doubt there was as much instant 'analysis' back then, but can you imagine the comments when Scholes went through his rough patch after the arrival of Veron, or in the early stages of the 2004-5 season? Or what about when Giggs was experiencing a dip in form (I guess that's where the whole 'sell Giggs' bit came from...) In any event, this is why I'm glad we have an experienced manager like Van Gaal running the show, a guy who has seen, survived and surmounted his share of issues over the last two decades.

LR7

Its not his qualities that are questionable its his performances
I don't think it's completely unrelated that his performances have dipped slightly since he's played on the wing.

Water Melon

I don't think it's completely unrelated that his performances have dipped slightly since he's played on the wing.
Di Maria is a world class central midfielder, he is just awesome there. Play him there, improve our movement in the final third and we will be able to go head-to-head against the likes of Chelsea and City. Angel looks half the player when played as a winger.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Few times he played advance, and scared the hell out of City's defence with his pace.

I still maintain the idea that we have to play him in that Robben's WC position, as SS.

saivet

Few times he played advance, and scared the hell out of City's defence with his pace.

I still maintain the idea that we have to play him in that Robben's WC position, as SS.
But that only really worked because the Netherlands were sitting back against teams looking for the counter. Most of the teams we play against, we won't be playing on the counter so not sure that would really work for us.

itso 7

Perhaps last year was just a bit of a purple patch for him. He was always pretty inconsistent other than that, which fits what we're now seeing.
Which dried out the moment we put him on the wing? It's clear as daylight, he is half the player on the wing and we don't have anyone pulling up trees in the middle to justify nullifying our most potent weapon.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
But that only really worked because the Netherlands were sitting back against teams looking for the counter. Most of the teams we play against, we won't be playing on the counter so not sure that would really work for us.
When we defend, we often would struggle to get out of the zone. Mainly it's because we have no outlet up-front with decent pace. And I'd like to see our attacker who can dribble at pace. We have Januzaj, but he isn't dependable yet.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I truly bealive he is struggling to come to terms with the emotional and physical toil of the Premiership. Even when he was playing well he struggled to last in some games. This isnt La Liga when you cruising with Cristiano every other week. He just has to come to terms with these issues and he'll be fine.

ZDwyr

He was MOTM in the CL final wasn't he? Dunno where this 'can't do it in big matches' is coming from. He obviously can and has done so...

Infra-red

Needs to be playing in a midfield 3 rather than the wing really. Since we have very little quality out wide, and are overstocked in the forward positions, a switch back to the diamond formation for the Palace game would probably make sense. Bring Herrera back into the side.

Winrar

He was MOTM in the CL final wasn't he? Dunno where this 'can't do it in big matches' is coming from. He obviously can and has done so...
He's torn Barca apart couple of times, too. (I remember the 3-4 game in particular, even though it ended in a defeat)

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Bale was officially I believe, but I thought ADM was the best at the time.

Rafabio

Absolutely, positively wasted out wide. WTH man. Can't we stick Adnan on the left push him more central and let the other minions slot in wherever?

Sam

Just get him back in the centre. This playing him out wide stuff is an utter utter waste.

It was one of the Madrid fans (I think @Raul Madrid ) that said Di Maria is not a world class £60 million winger, but he is as a midfielder. And it shows.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
What's his best position really? I see so many people preferring him to play as a CM instead of as a winger. I must say I hardly saw any of his matches before this season but correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't he played all his life as a winger and just played as a CM for Madrid only last season?

XdanielredX

Just get him back in the centre. This playing him out wide stuff is an utter utter waste.

It was one of the Madrid fans (I think @Raul Madrid ) that said Di Maria is not a world class £60 million winger, but he is as a midfielder. And it shows.
Can't remember if it was him I got it from but I got this from a Madrid fan.

"His first three years at Madrid when used on the wing as well as Higuain, Benzema and Ozil. Those four regularly were poor in the big games under Mourinho apart from the odd match or moment. Him and Ozil had good stats and were quite productive but they regularly went through patches of bad form and inconsistency.

It was last year when Ancelotti put him in midfield that he became world class and a big game player and was absolutely brilliant. He became more consistent and influenced matches (especially the big ones) much more. He is entering his peak now as a player so I am sure he will be better on the wing for United than he was for us as he was still quite young at Madrid. But like I said before, the best football in his career by far has come when playing in midfield. Whether United want to use him that way or have the personnel to fit him into such a formation is a different story. But it is a bit crazy to sign a player for the big money that they spent and not use him in the position where he played his best football by far. The player in his first three seasons on the wing for Madrid was worth nowhere near that amount."

It pretty much seems right to me too, he influenced the games he played in CM so much more than wide, and a firing Di Maria getting on the ball often means we have a chance against anyone.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
What's his best position really? I see so many people preferring him to play as a CM instead of as a winger. I must say I hardly saw any of his matches before this season but correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't he played all his life as a winger and just played as a CM for Madrid only last season?
Yeah, and last season was by far the best season of his career. Before that he was good but inconsistent.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Lots of footballer have a breakthrough season where they suddenly become much more consistent and effective than they were before. Often at the same age Di Maria was last season. There's every chance he could have had a great season on the wing too.

People get far too hung up on the positions that footballers play, if you ask me. As though playing a slightly different attacking midfield role suddenly means the basics of football escape the player in question. It's just a cop-out. Especially when so many of the excuses being made on this basis for the likes of Kagawa, Mata and now Di Maria come from the same posters that regularly crucified Wayne Rooney, someone who has been asked to play more different positions than all those players put together. Really top players are adaptable.

I happen to think Di Maria is a really top player and can be great out wide. He's just gone off the boil after doing a stupid amount of travelling during the international break then coming up against two of the strongest teams in the league in quick succession. That's bound to put a speed bump in the impressive learning curve he's shown adapting to PL football so far. Hopefully onwards and upwards from here.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Just looking at his physics you would think he's a winger. Can't really imagine him being a central midfielder. Most players in the middle need to be a bit more on the average body type look to be bossing the midfield. But if it works then i'm all for it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He is a good winger, infact a brilliant one. However if you don't have enough attacking threat through the middle of the midfield it is relatively easy to defend against a good winger (you double/tripple team them)

Not to mention the kid has an exeptional eye for a pass/through ball (which is wasted out wide), he also causes all sorts of havoc when he runs through the middle of the pitch (where can can't be double/trippled teamed) with limited options of where to go.

I don't mind him on the wing if its for some tactical reason, but when he is there we lack creativity through the middle which doesn't help any winger imo.

However playing him centrally where has the license to drift out wide seems the best use of his talent imo.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Lots of footballer have a breakthrough season where they suddenly become much more consistent and effective than they were before. Often at the same age Di Maria was last season. There's every chance he could have had a great season on the wing too.

People get far too hung up on the positions that footballers play, if you ask me. As though playing a slightly different attacking midfield role suddenly means the basics of football escape the player in question. It's just a cop-out. Especially when so many of the excuses being made on this basis for the likes of Kagawa, Mata and now Di Maria come from the same posters that regularly crucified Wayne Rooney, someone who has been asked to play more different positions than all those players put together. Really top players are adaptable.

I happen to think Di Maria is a really top player and can be great out wide. He's just gone off the boil after doing a stupid amount of travelling during the international break then coming up against two of the strongest teams in the league in quick succession. That's bound to put a speed bump in the impressive learning curve he's shown adapting to PL football so far. Hopefully onwards and upwards from here.
Pretty much my thoughts (bold).

I also wonder how much the difference in the leagues is playing a part in things. I'm not looking to get into a PL V La Liga debate, but I'm pretty sure the pace of the 10 games he's been with us for will have taken more out of him than the equivalent games for Madrid.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Pretty much my thoughts (bold).

I also wonder how much the difference in the leagues is playing a part in things. I'm not looking to get into a PL V La Liga debate, but I'm pretty sure the pace of the 10 games he's been with us for will have taken more out of him than the equivalent games for Madrid.
Yeah. he's looked a bit leggy at times. You'd have to wonder if all the will he / won't he shenanigans over the summer affected his conditioning work in pre-season.

Phil Duck

Of course, La Liga is far more light and less physical demanding than the Premier League.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's quite a big difference between playing out wide and playing in a deeper midfield position though, isn't there? Certainly if we're talking about a player's ability to impose themselves on a game...

Didn't SAF mention before that they had tried using Roy Keane as a DM but he had been unable to adapt to the role? I also remember him saying Evra had played as more as a wing back before he came to United but they had confidence he had the characteristics to adapt to the LB role in our system. Then you also have LvG's preference for playing left footed players at LCB and right footers playing at RCB. If these changes (far more subtle than the one between playing in midfield and out wide) were held to be that important then surely there must be some merit in the notion that they're a factor here too?

Last season was by far the best in Di Maria's career and it came while playing as a midfielder. Before we signed him many people (including some of the Madrid fans who had been watching him for years) said it was a position that suited him more than playing out wide. Now that he has arrived here we have seen a continuation of that pattern. Maybe it's just a coincidence but as is evidence would surely suggest that he is at his best in this deeper role?

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
I think the reality is somewhere in between what most are saying. The past year has really been where he has played out of his skin and showed his full potential. And when on song, he can be one of the world's best players. In the CL final he outshone the likes of Ronaldo, Bale, etc....and in the WC, for my money he was just as important as Messi, perhaps more (Argentina didn't score any goals after he got injured against Belgium).

It's difficult to maintain that type of form. Going by his history, he's never been the main man for any of his sides, but he's been a stellar accomplice. He needs others around him to produce the goods as well, so if RvP, Falcao and Rooney can get firing then we'll get a lot of joy this season. However I think expectations became just a tad bit unrealistic given his stellar first few matches, which were probably the result of a combination of his own motivation of being at a new club plus the poor/average opponents we happened to face.

saivet

I think his dip has more to do with the quality of opposition we've faced in the last two games rather than his position.

Sam

I think his dip has more to do with the quality of opposition we've faced in the last two games rather than his position.
West Brom?

Its quite clearly his position thats making the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.