Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
Hype getting a bit out of hand I see. He really wasn't very good today. Which doesn't matter.
Far from hype. He looked like our only chance of ever scoring. A few Arsenal fans I know who watched him for the first time thought he was our only real threat

Jev

Far from hype. He looked like our only chance of ever scoring. A few Arsenal fans I know who watched him for the first time thought he was our only real threat
Well, maybe he was, and I'm not trying to downplay his potential as I've been as impressed and surprised as anyone. But yesterday was not a good game, he conceded possession too many times.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Well, maybe he was, and I'm not trying to downplay his potential as I've been as impressed and surprised as anyone. But yesterday was not a good game, he conceded possession too many times.
That's not his job, to retain possession. For who? Rooney and Memphis were useless. Mata was ineffective. He was our only functional attacking outlet, and he was a genuine threat both on the wing and through the middle. I'm not giving him a 10, but that's because he was in a team that received a drubbing. On an individual level I found little fault with his performance, and that's if I become a nitpicking bastard.

fan1996

DIEHARD: Changes support more than his underpants
That's not his job, to retain possession. For who? Rooney and Memphis were useless. Mata was ineffective. He was our only functional attacking outlet, and he was a genuine threat both on the wing and through the middle. I'm not giving him a 10, but that's because he was in a team that received a drubbing. On an individual level I found little fault with his performance, and that's if I become a nitpicking bastard.
Watching that game I actually felt sorry for the boy. He often had to face at least 3 defenders in front of him, while his 2 other partners never tried to run to create any space but stood there watching like a couple of morons

Ixion

Yeah they were doubling up on him whenever he had the ball, they were more worried about him than anyone and he still almost scored a great goal.

Treble

He was excellent against Arsenal, created chances out of nothing. I thought and wrote already before his signing that he's already better than our forwards. But he has surpassed my expectations. At this point of time, he is second only to Aguero. Given his age and potential, I wouldn't exchange him for Aguero though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He's a great player in the making, but it's annoying how the emphasis is on finding players that can "create something out of nothing". The system should be solid enough that such occurences where that magic is needed, are few and far inbetween.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
What's also impressive is his demeanor.

He is not petulant at all. When there is a dodgy foul or close offside he simply gets on with it.

On a side note he is a beast in fifa 16. Too fast with tight dribbling and can finish from anywhere.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's a great player in the making, but it's annoying how the emphasis is on finding players that can "create something out of nothing". The system should be solid enough that such occurences where that magic is needed, are few and far inbetween.
Very good point really. I hope we don't get to a point where the football will be about giving the ball to Martial and just hoping that he does something special. He is going to get more and more tightly marked.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Got this bit from an interview he did - but this section only I'm afraid. Kid sounds pretty grounded..

Anthony Martial interview
Quote:
“I know this is a very great player who is a legend in England, I do not think we have the same characteristics. Thierry Henry is Thierry Henry. I still have everything to prove. By continuing to work, I will try to reach his level but I am still very far off.”

Transfer
“Basically, I was told ‘untransferable’ so I thought staying in Monaco,” he said.

“When I knew about the offer, I did not hesitate a second and it was done quickly. I really wanted and I really wanted to continue to play in the Champions League. Van Gaal called me and spoke to my mother who did the translation. When I arrived in Manchester I met him, we discussed at length and it was done quickly.”

Transfer fee
"It did not bother me too much. It was more my family with all that was written in the newspapers and what was said. I was just in a hurry to go to Manchester and play football.

“I try to ignore it all. I stay in my bubble, I concentrate on the football, I work and I try to learn English as quickly as possible.”

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't know how much English he can actually speak but from what i've read it would seem he can't speak a word of the language. They don't care for English much in school out there do they? Compared to Scandinavian countries for instance

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't know how much English he can actually speak but from what i've read it would seem he can't speak a word of the language. They don't care for English much in school out there do they? Compared to Scandinavian countries for instance
Yes, it's probably the +100m speakers and almost 30 countries where it's spoken. Scandinavians are great at English out of necessity.

No, he could not be any more perfect. Well, he could categorically state that he'll never ask to go to Real or Barca.

RedStarUnited

How was your experience for your first goal for Manchester United against Liverpool?

It really felt good. The fans were with me in my celebration and it was really something great for me. Old Trafford is impressive. The supporters average is 75,000 people, it’s a bit of a change from the little Stade Louis II…

It’s really magical to me. It’s nice that there is in the world. This is what makes footballers want to play all matches. It’s going pretty well for me. I’ve played matches, scored some goals, I am very happy.

Your transfer happened very quickly. What was your experience?

Basically, I was told “untransferable” so I thought I was staying in Monaco. When I knew that this offer came, I did not hesitate a second and it was done quickly. I really wanted the move, and I really wanted to continue to play the Champions League. Van Gaal called me and spoke to my mother who did the translation. When I arrived in Manchester we met, we discussed things at length and it was done quickly.

What was your first impression of Old Trafford?

I’m just warming up and I saw all the fans stand and applaud me. I thought it was really good of them. They did not know me but they showed me a real support. This is what allowed me to be ready quickly.

Were you intent on proving yourself a success on your debut?

For sure, it was very important to show the coach that he could trust me and allow me to play. Going to Manchester, I knew there was Rooney in attack and that he preferred to play No. 10. I told myself that I would get my chance and I had to seize it.

Did you obtained guarantees about playing in a centre forward position?

I knew I would be the second striker.

Does you feel that Louis van Gaal give you more confidence than Leonardo Jardim?

Van Gaal told me to work hard and I would win my place in the team. It is what I did. For now, I’m playing.

There were many comments about the transfer price. Did they weigh on you?

Me? It did not bother me too much. It was more my family, with all that was written in the newspapers and what was said. I was just in a hurry to go to Manchester and play football.

Many people spoke, but I stayed focused. I worked hard to be ready. I have not read any of the newspapers. Since I was little, I never looked at what was said about me.

Is it not too difficult to handle all this pressure at just 19?

I try to ignore it all. I stay in my bubble, I concentrate on the football, I work and I’m trying to learn English as quickly as possible.

Everybody compares you to Thierry Henry by your gestures and your background. You get inspired?

I know he is a very great player, and he is a legend in England. I do not think we have the same characteristics. Thierry Henry is Thierry Henry is. I still have everything to prove. By continuing to work, I will try to have his level but I am still very far.

Ibi Dreams

He probably speaks a bit of English, if not a lot. I expect him to pick it up quickly though, he seems intelligent and has a great attitude. Plus he's young and surrounded by English, it should happen quite naturally

Nickosaur

Good for him, well deserved.

Who would have thought he'd become one of our most important players when we signed him?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The players playing around him have to step it up. Namely Memphis and Rooney. Not been good enough. It's a bit frustrating because I think he'd even be more amazing if the others around him were playing well.

Treble

I imagine there aren't many new signings who become player of the month in their first weeks in a foreign league. Fantastic.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I imagine there aren't many new signings who become player of the month in their first weeks in a foreign league. Fantastic.
Clearly, we are working on bringing in another forward. We cannot let three attacking players go and replace them with Martial. Obviously, Fellaini and Memphis could be used as forwards too but it's not enough, IMO.
Martial's a talent but Monaco are taking the piss. He'd need several seasons to reach eventually a world class level, and that's far from guaranteed.
Several weeks ago Griezmann's release clause was 60 mil. EUR. Now Monaco want us to pay more to get a youngster who has barely scored 10 goals in Ligue 1. Would be shambolic from United, unless Martial turns out to be the new Henry (which is dubious).
Looks like it..

Treble

Looks like it..
Your point being? That I was proven wrong? I already wrote that he's surpassed my expectations. But...You didn't quote the posts where I said already before the deal for him that he is better than our current forwards. And that I thought about him as an option already before we enquired about him. I'm glad that he turned to be even better tnan expected. So, what's your point exactly?

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
This is really exciting. To think, we're going to have years of watching this guy.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
What's also impressive is his demeanor.

He is not petulant at all. When there is a dodgy foul or close offside he simply gets on with it.

On a side note he is a beast in fifa 16. Too fast with tight dribbling and can finish from anywhere.
He just seems really level-headed and mature. He's not going to harp on about his ambitions, but he'll work hard towards them.
I really really like this guy, as we all do.

Nothing more exciting than a young, extremely talented forward.

SirAF

Ageist
Well deserved player of the month. I just hope he won't play much for France so that he'll be fresh for the Everton match in two weeks.

Tarrou

At first I thought he'd just Rooney'd the first touch, but yeah looks like he meant it on second viewing

Status
Not open for further replies.