Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think you can, specially the chance in the second half, at the very least he had to hit the target.
You shouldn't. Young players will always be inconsistent in front of goal.

As for his peformances other than that, very happy with him today. Our attack is poor but this kid is pretty much the main reason to get excited about watching us.

pseudo_canadian

Really unlucky not to score today. Would have been a nice birthday present.

He is the only bright spot in our attack. Does a pretty good job all on his own considering he is the only competent attacker in the team.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You shouldn't. Young players will always be inconsistent in front of goal.

As for his peformances other than that, very happy with him today. Our attack is poor but this kid is pretty much the main reason to get excited about watching us.
I think you always expect improvement from any player (I know I do at least). The degree of expectation is what should always be different between the players depending on their age, experience and tons of other parameters.

amolbhatia50k

I think you always expect improvement from any player (I know I do at least). The degree of expectation is what should always be different between the players depending on their age, experience and tons of other parameters.
Improvment yes, but surely that's in terms of years not weeks? I would expect martial to be better in 17/18 than he is this season. Might not happen as there are always ups and downs, but yeah that's the progress he hopefully makes.

My point was that if you're going to expect a 19 year old to be clinical in front of goal you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

kouroux

Improvment yes, but surely that's in terms of years not weeks? I would expect martial to be better in 17/18 than he is this season. Might not happen as there are always ups and downs, but yeah that's the progress he hopefully makes.

My point was that if you're going to expect a 19 year old to be clinical in front of goal you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
In terms of months yes and he has in some way. He already looks stronger on the ball.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'm not really being too critical of him because he obviously has talent but for the price we paid you'd be wanting a greater output.
Agreed 100%.

He is young, he is far from the finished article and so he is getting an easy ride here.
Had Rooney played like Martial did today (ie. average), people would say that Rooney is done.
The simple truth is that we cannot rely on a 19 year old to lead our line on his own. He needs another striker with him, who is at his absolute peak.
He is our No.9. His job is to score goals which means he needs to score. I know its harsh, but this is MUFC.

And for those saying that he always has 2 players on him - this applies to all top players. Aguero, Suarez, Ronaldo, Messi, etc. It's upto the player himself to make it happen.
I want to remind people that he is playing for MUFC (not a lesser club). All our great players of the past have either raised their game to match expectation OR have been moved on (ie. not good enough).
I said in another thread, that if a top striker was on the pitch for us today, he'd have scored 1 goal at least.

I would expect martial to be better in 17/18 than he is this season.
I agree. But at MUFC, no striker gets 2 years to prove himself. Generally speaking if you can't deliver, you get moved on.
Wellbeck was a young player, who was given chances, but could not score many goals. Result: SOLD.

In any case, I hope that he does score a few goals, because if this goal drought continues, his confidence could spiral downwards and if this happens, he may never recover while at MUFC.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I thought Martial actually did really well, just his finishing was a bit off. Looked dangerous throughout.

I'm going to refuse to blame any of our players for their productivity though as long as Van Gaal is here. Whatever tactics he has us playing, it ruins anyones output. Hell, Messi and Ronaldo would probably struggle to score half of what they do now if they played for us.

amolbhatia50k

I agree. But at MUFC, no striker gets 2 years to prove himself. Generally speaking if you can't deliver, you get moved on.
Wellbeck was a young player, who was given chances, but could not score many goals. Result: SOLD.

In any case, I hope that he does score a few goals, because if this goal drought continues, his confidence could spiral downwards and if this happens, he may never recover while at MUFC.
Or you could look at Rooney who was inconsistent in front of goal for a long time. Martial isn't in danger of not proving himself, and nor is he in danger of not delivering or being moved on. He's more Rooney/Ronaldo than Welbeck. Like young Rooney he is excellent even when he doesn't score. Like those two, he will be given patience, and his work in progress phase will be one where he continues contribute even if he isn't prolific like all kids aren't. Nothing in guaranteed in life, but right now that's pretty much where it's at.

The second paragraph is laughable. "He may never recover". We've probably got the best teenager in the game at our club. He's someone we're going to build teams. Not sure what the reason for worry is?

amolbhatia50k

I thought Martial actually did really well, just his finishing was a bit off. Looked dangerous throughout.

I'm going to refuse to blame any of our players for their productivity though as long as Van Gaal is here. Whatever tactics he has us playing, it ruins anyones output. Hell, Messi and Ronaldo would probably struggle to score half of what they do now if they played for us.
Absolutely nothing wrong our tactics. LVG has to ensure we get goals form the team but we played with the intensity that everyone wants.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

:lol: Sure.

bosnian_red

Well its no wonder that pretty much every single one of our players scores less and attempts fewer shots with us then they did under their previous managers. Its not a coincidence when it happens to every single player.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Well its no wonder that pretty much every single one of our players scores less and attempts fewer shots with us then they did under their previous managers. Its not a coincidence when it happens to every single player.
I'm not saying it's a coincidence or unrelated. I just don't think absolving the players of all blame is right, either. They get most of the praise when they score a chance, not the manager. Should get at least some of the blame when they miss one, as well. This is especially relevant today.

Irrational.

We're going to burn him out, aren't we? :(

This is no way for a 20 year old to be learning his trade - we should be gradually building him up, not by making him our most important attacker and putting all the burden on him but by easing him into the squad - like we did with Ronaldo. Sadly, this is not possible with the players we have.

PS. Happy birthday Anthony.

bosnian_red

I'm not saying it's a coincidence or unrelated. I just don't think absolving the players of all blame is right, either. They get most of the praise when they score a chance, not the manager. Should get at least some of the blame when they miss one, as well. This is especially relevant today.
Oh I know, I'm not absolving all of them of blame, just that I'm not blaming the players too much for their overall output. Our leading scorer has what, 5 goals? Put these exact players in a different style and they'd have twice that.

the hea

We had 21 shots today and one was on goal so the problem certainly wasn't that we don't shoot.

bosnian_red

We had 21 shots today and one was on goal so the problem certainly wasn't that we don't shoot.
Today is the very big exception. Today it was just the finishing and if we played like this in an attacking sense, fans wouldnt complain. What usually happens is we have around 10 shots, a few from distance, but really nothing to good. That's the reason we've drawn 7 of our last 10 games. We just don't do enough to win consistently, though today we should've.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We're going to burn him out, aren't we? :(

This is no way for a 20 year old to be learning his trade - we should be gradually building him up, not by making him our most important attacker and putting all the burden on him but by easing him into the squad - like we did with Ronaldo. Sadly, this is not possible with the players we have.

PS. Happy birthday Anthony.
Ronaldo played 50 games for us in the season he turned 20.

ZDwyr

I thought he improved considerably in the 2nd half. Unfortunately in these close matches he needs to take those half-chances. He did set-up one or two others though. Definitely one of our best.

The Azzurri

How did did we bought him for?

Well done to lvg for splashing all the transfer fund on a unproven promising youngster where what we need is a proven goal-scorer.

Time will tell if he will come good but in recent matches, he has gone off the boil, no where near potential balon dor winner

kouroux

Well done to lvg for splashing all the transfer fund on a unproven promising youngster where what we need is a proven goal-scorer.

Time will tell if he will come good but in recent matches, he has gone off the boil, no where near potential balon dor winner
And that is a problem ?

Rake

Where the white text

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

This has to be a joke, everything that is wrong with football fans in a singular post!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I hope we sell him for nothing to Montpellier next Summer, the useless idiot.

C'est Moi Cantona

The guy is going to be a beast but he's just hit the inevitable barren patch, and this is the point where we needed a proven goal scorer to to take the pressure off him.

It's not his fault he's still learning his trade and missing a few chances, he could do with a break imo and a few starts off the bench, but sadly we just haven't got that luxury.

amolbhatia50k

:lol: What is this shit?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
You can sense the Wolfsburg fans were scared of him whenever he touched the ball. Only with him they cheered when he lost the ball, purely out of relief.

Devil may care

Had a good game, held his position well most of the time and took his goal well, I am very pleased with what we have seen from him in his United career so far.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I noticed how he immediately made runs after passing the ball expecting his teammate (Mata?) to pass it back but that didn't happen enough.

Irrational.

He played well, we saw what he can do when the ball is played into his feet.

The trouble is, most of his teammates mistake him for a 7 foot beast with the touch and control of Messi and hoof balls into him, and expect him to do the rest.

He needs support in the form of a proven goalscorer. This is a massive burden for a 19 year old. If I was LVG I'd throw a lot of money on someone like Lukaku.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Good game tonight, him and Mata linked up well for his goal. I'd like to see more of them playing together.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I noticed how he immediately made runs after passing the ball expecting his teammate (Mata?) to pass it back but that didn't happen enough.
He seems to link up really well with Memphis. Outside of that though, we lack the players who are willing to take the necessary risks in order to feed him for his runs. While Mata provided the assist to his goal, that's about the only time he's really put him through and to be honest the passing lane was simply wide open.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Our most exciting player to watch. The one that looks the most capable of making something happen. Reminds me of Januzaj two seasons ago. You just wanted him to get on the ball and run, in hope that he'd wriggle through. And even when he'd get tackled, you'd just want him to do it again. Because where else are the goals going to come from? OG, it seems.

Eddy_JukeZ

The shining light of LVG's tenure here.

Martial will be one of the Prem's best players in 1-2 seasons.

RedStarUnited

Happens nearly every game.

He beats one or two players, plays a quick pass expecting it to be returned to him, but the receiving player takes the ball and makes a harmless pass to someone else and the momentum of that move is gone.

I said it in another thread, we hardly ever play 1-2's its such a rarity.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Happens nearly every game.

He beats one or two players, plays a quick pass expecting it to be returned to him, but the receiving player takes the ball and makes a harmless pass to someone else and the momentum of that move is gone.

I said it in another thread, we hardly ever play 1-2's its such a rarity.
Yes exactly that, I was looking for the term 1-2's.

VanGaalEra

He's so good for his age.

I liked the front four today and hope we can see them play together more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.