Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
This thread is so fecking weird. He hasn't even been that bad in the last couple of games. In fact, he was very good in the second half against Southampton. He just needs a few more games to get his sharpness back, which is to be expected.

Stop over-analyzing every god damn thing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What the shit am I reading in here still? Mourinho going to scapegoat him? Him crying because of a picture of him squinting? Him not having his head straight? fecking hell.

First of all, Mourinho tried to sign him last summer. He's a perfect Mourinho type player, pace, power, tracks back, physically perfect for Mourinho, scores goals and gets assists. Then going by his performances, they have been perfectly fine. Against Bournemouth, he had a quiet first half, a half where our whole team was off. Second half he was one of our best players, got 2 assists and was a threat throughout. Second game against Bournemouth, he did alright defensively, going forward he mostly just gave an easy option in the first half. Second half again he was a huge threat, should have scored once through his 2 good chances. Shit happens, nobody scores every single chance they get. He held on to the ball a tiny bit too long, and Van Dijk through in a very good tackle. Missing a chance doesn't mean his head isn't on straight, or that he's under pressure, or he's way off form, or unfit, or whatever. He just missed a chance in an otherwise solid performance. Big whoop. He's one of the most promising players in the world and he'll remain like that, and that's why he'll stay on the left wing.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
What the shit am I reading in here still? Mourinho going to scapegoat him? Him crying because of a picture of him squinting? Him not having his head straight? fecking hell.

First of all, Mourinho tried to sign him last summer. He's a perfect Mourinho type player, pace, power, tracks back, physically perfect for Mourinho, scores goals and gets assists. Then going by his performances, they have been perfectly fine. Against Bournemouth, he had a quiet first half, a half where our whole team was off. Second half he was one of our best players, got 2 assists and was a threat throughout. Second game against Bournemouth, he did alright defensively, going forward he mostly just gave an easy option in the first half. Second half again he was a huge threat, should have scored once through his 2 good chances. Shit happens, nobody scores every single chance they get. He held on to the ball a tiny bit too long, and Van Dijk through in a very good tackle. Missing a chance doesn't mean his head isn't on straight, or that he's under pressure, or he's way off form, or unfit, or whatever. He just missed a chance in an otherwise solid performance. Big whoop. He's one of the most promising players in the world and he'll remain like that, and that's why he'll stay on the left wing.
Come on man, it's not the time and place to talk sense.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Good post.

Ballache

Supports
Martial

Also, unlike last season he's not our go to man anymore so he sees less of the ball. He'll be fine, we have too many drama queens here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

But but...we should drop him for Memphis.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It's funny that some people think they know what players are thinking and have great insights into what the manager is also thinking and can come to wonderful conclusions based on their insights.

Nickosaur

Bravo.

LouisDanGaal

Now go sort the rooney thread?

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
He's clearly not been at his best, not sure why people are taking the criticism so personally.

podurban2

Two newbie posts and this place goes apeshit. I find the responses as irritating to read as the "critiques". Honestly there is not much substance in this thread at all, mostly rants at made-up ghosts.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Horrific to see double standards, count the 2 assists here but dont recognise Rooney's. He's been alright and should have scored at least 1, Lingard gets slated when he comes into good positions but fails to score, when it comes to Martial he gets credit and it shows he's sublime. Dont really get the double standards for our own players.

VanGaalEra

Horrific to see double standards, count the 2 assists here but dont recognise Rooney's. He's been alright and should have scored at least 1, Lingard gets slated when he comes into good positions but fails to score, when it comes to Martial he gets credit and it shows he's sublime. Dont really get the double standards for our own players.
Maybe because we know he can finish and has shown he can finish in those positions. Have you forgotten his performances last season?

LouisDanGaal

You've only just noticed this? place is rife with hypocrisy. Once a player gets a certain label that's them. Martial is seen as a good finisher despite clearly not being in rooneys class when it comes to that, even if the rest of his game is stronger. Blind Smart. Bailly Raw. Smalling beast. Januzaj bad attitude. Its just lazy stereotyping but we love martial so he gets little stick even when he starts poorly like he has.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Maybe because we know he can finish and has shown he can finish in those positions. Have you forgotten his performances last season?
Lingard has had decent finishes for us as well, thats not the point. People give praise to one player for something, and dont for another player of us just because it doesnt fit their agenda. The fact that he was brilliant last season, wouldnt make him immune for criticism now, even though I think it's far too early to read into anything this season already.

VanGaalEra

Lingard has had decent finishes for us as well, thats not the point. People give praise to one player for something, and dont for another player of us just because it doesnt fit their agenda. The fact that he was brilliant last season, wouldnt make him immune for criticism now, even though I think it's far too early to read into anything this season already.
People won't criticise Martial because he's shown us last season he can score goals, he can finish and believe hell get back to it.

Lingard hasn't shown anything like the finishing ability Martial has, so criticism of Lingard (only in relation to finishing because I quite like him) is justified.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The "Rooney guys" have come here I see. Please this thread is about Anthony Martial.

Tosicsleftpeg

Ha some madness in here right now.

OK martial hasn't been lighting it up in the first 2 games but its very early days and there are another 40 odd games to go this season if not more! Give him a chance he's a great player.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Ha some madness in here right now.

OK martial hasn't been lighting it up in the first 2 games but its very early days and there are another 40 odd games to go this season if not more! Give him a chance he's a great player.
It's not like anybody is writing him off, is it? It's so odd to see how sensitive people are about any kind of criticism aimed at Martial compared to pretty much every other player in the squad. For example, I hate Rooney and I'd love to see him feck off but it's ridiculous the hammering he's getting while Martial is seemingly immune to any kind of (justified) criticism.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's not like anybody is writing him off, is it? It's so odd to see how sensitive people are about any kind of criticism aimed at Martial compared to pretty much every other player in the squad. For example, I hate Rooney and I'd love to see him feck off but it's ridiculous the hammering he's getting while Martial is seemingly immune to any kind of (justified) criticism.
Rooney has been poor for a while and is a senior pro Martial is a couple games in after a late preseason and on the back of a wonderful debut season plus he is a kid. Different yardsticks needed for measuring I think!!

Sigma

:lol: This.
Some peaple were asking for him to be dropped for Memphis. This forum is mental.
I was that person. I don't see whats wrong with this.

Martial isn't playing great, I think it would do him a service to be put out of the limelight for a bit and focus on other issues he has got (whatever is going on in his personal life).

I just would like to see Memphis given a chance for 1 game, as I think he would take it. I don't think he wants to keep sitting on the bench/not making the team and this would spur him on. He offers a lot of the same things that Martial has (all be it less consistent - but this is one game).

This probably won't happen, but I would like to see it happen

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Noticed a few people almost turning on Martial?

Are you guys serious, we are 2 games in he hasn't played BAD by any stretch of the imagination.

We now have Zlatan, Pogba etc of course he isn't going to stand out AS MUCH as e did before as now he's not literally the only player doing any good.

He is now another BRILLIANT string to Uniteds bow.

Not to mention he's f*cking 20 YEARS OLD...
I've criticised his play in these last 3 games, but especially Leicester, and compared his performances to Rooney's. I'm not turning on him, he's the most exciting player in the whole squad, a joy to watch when on form, and so young his potential is boundless. He's probably my favourite player (though based on that cameo maybe Mkhi could take that spot :p ). His debut season was a contrast to the rest of our attack a couple of levels above Januzaj under Moyes, he was breathtaking. West Ham away should have cemented his instant-legend status if we hung on for a draw.

But he isn't immune from criticism, especially when Rooney defenders (I'm not one of them at all) make a legitimate point about both playing badly and only one catching major flak, and the response from many is to laugh or cover their ears without explaining why.

In Rainbows

People won't criticise Martial because he's shown us last season he can score goals, he can finish and believe hell get back to it.

Lingard hasn't shown anything like the finishing ability Martial has, so criticism of Lingard (only in relation to finishing because I quite like him) is justified.
It's not even just the end product though. Martial has much better all around games too. Lingard hasn't exactly lit up the league. It's just that the fa cup and community shield performances have turned the opinion of Lingard around on these forums. Martial is better in every facet of the game and is younger.

RedCurry

He's such a talented player. I honestly expect him to perform more or less in every game. I sometimes forget how young he is. But given his talent, I naturally expect better from him.

pseudo_canadian

This thread is so fecking weird. He hasn't even been that bad in the last couple of games. In fact, he was very good in the second half against Southampton. He just needs a few more games to get his sharpness back, which is to be expected.

Stop over-analyzing every god damn thing.
He was very good in the 2nd half vs. Bournemouth as well.

Some posters are being hysterical because he doesn't look 100% sharp and appears to be moping around the pitch, etc. It's absolutely ridiculous.

He's a class player, and will be key for us yet again this season. There are so many drama queens on this forum it's incredible. Probably the same people who were convinced Real would sign Pogba, even up until the 11th hour.

pseudo_canadian

Well said.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

Agreed.

And thT performance vs Southampton was better on a footballing level than Ibra's. Except the latter scored and Martial did not. People should go have a look at all the touches videos from both players in that game, Ibra lost nearly half of the balls and did some atrocious passes under no pressure. One such pass led to a 3 vs 3 counter situation. Martial had a few good runs, kept possession very well, showed great pace to go one on one from a pass that wasn't quite a throughball, did a good pass to shaw who missed a standard cutback pass from the edge of the goal, had Ibra brainfarting on him by not anticipating a throughpass that was perfectly weighted by Martial. But apparently he was ordinary.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Agreed.

And thT performance vs Southampton was better on a footballing level than Ibra's. Except the latter scored and Martial did not. People should go have a look at all the touches videos from both players in that game, Ibra lost nearly half of the balls and did some atrocious passes under no pressure. One such pass led to a 3 vs 3 counter situation. Martial had a few good runs, kept possession very well, showed great pace to go one on one from a pass that wasn't quite a throughball, did a good pass to shaw who missed a standard cutback pass from the edge of the goal, had Ibra brainfarting on him by not anticipating a throughpass that was perfectly weighted by Martial. But apparently he was ordinary.
Yep. People put a lot of basis on how a player played based on his ending output. Ibra scored 2 goals and was man of the match, fair enough. But his overall game was a bit sloppy on the day. Martial missed a couple of chances that he normally puts away and that makes it a bad game... nobody is perfect with their finishing so it happens that players miss chances. Doesnt make a performance bad though or mean anything.

MD7

Martial isn't playing great, I think it would do him a service to be put out of the limelight for a bit and focus on other issues he has got (whatever is going on in his personal life).

I just would like to see Memphis given a chance for 1 game, as I think he would take it. I don't think he wants to keep sitting on the bench/not making the team and this would spur him on. He offers a lot of the same things that Martial has (all be it less consistent - but this is one game).

This probably won't happen, but I would like to see it happen
This indeed. Martial has played 2 games, first one he wasn't good enough for our standard over the whole match. Second one he was again shit in the first halve, but better the second one. His dribbles were better, but finishing was lacking. Just let Martial play for 60min, and then substitute him with Memphis when he plays like that. He should learn that when playing on this level, we expect top performance every time, and "good enough" isn't enough.

If Memphis is bad, we didn't lose anything, because Martial was playing badly. If he's playing good, well that's just great for United...

sunama

Baghdad Bob
What I liked most from him against the Saints was his run and shot that the Soton keeper saved. I thought he was just going to pass it to Pogba as he was running the show, but no, he took off and put them under a lot of pressure.
Indeed.
One thing that scares defenders most is when a player comes at them, going for goal, at pace.
It was exciting seeing this against Southampton.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This indeed. Martial has played 2 games, first one he wasn't good enough for our standard over the whole match. Second one he was again shit in the first halve, but better the second one. His dribbles were better, but finishing was lacking. Just let Martial play for 60min, and then substitute him with Memphis ...
Martial's worst performance is better than anything Memphis can do (in the EPL).
However, if we play a lower division team or a team of part timers, Memphis should do well. He proved this repeatedly last season.

To play Memphis on the left in a EPL game is a lesson which cost LVG his job. LVG gave Memphis half a season to prove himself in the EPL, which he could not do.
Why should Jose give Memphis a chance? What has Memphis done to warrant this?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
While I agree about how sensitive people are being about Martial(He is still on the good side of your typical Caf resident) but the Rooney's case is completely different from Martial's.

In fact, Martial nor any other player would ever get the unfortunate misfortune of being criticized as heavily as Rooney because they could never hope nor dream to keep on playing badly for 3 straight seasons and still keep their place in the line up. If Martial continues to be poor he'll get dropped eventually in within 4-5 games, something Rooney shouldn't be worried about.

No matter how much the likes of Martial, Pogba etc are currently liked around these boards, if they start producing poor performances you'll see people being apologetic at first and coming up with excuses to protect them. Some will get mad, oversensitive etc, but if it carries on for a duration of time, people will turn on them no matter what and if they keep getting picked regardless of their bad form, especially ahead of better players on the bench(which has been Rooney's case for the last 3 years) then you'll see people get livid and the hate would also be as bad and unbearable as Rooney is currently getting.

Martial has been average for 2 games, Rooney has been so for 3 years and he is still guarantied a starting spot ahead of better players people want to see(Mkhi).

Vastly different scenarios here.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Also people are forgetting his age which means inconsistency should be expected a bit, something I'm sure Mou is well aware. We're not talking about some 25-27 established footballer here, we're talking about a young guy still yet to reach his true level, he'll get better with more games.

Beside some people are forgetting that even last season Martial had patches of games where he was average but became hot again toward season end. Inconsistency is expected. Just like last season I'm expecting him to catch form again go from there, however I'm still expecting a bit of inconsistency which isn't that outrageous or anything.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
why can't people differentiate between criticism for recent play and the player being shit? He's just not been his best of late. BTW, he's gonna score soon and then people are gonna quote everyone who has said he hasn't been playing well and it will be ultimate cringe time for me.

santeria13

Sublemon
I've criticised his play in these last 3 games, but especially Leicester, and compared his performances to Rooney's. I'm not turning on him, he's the most exciting player in the whole squad, a joy to watch when on form, and so young his potential is boundless. He's probably my favourite player (though based on that cameo maybe Mkhi could take that spot :p ). His debut season was a contrast to the rest of our attack a couple of levels above Januzaj under Moyes, he was breathtaking. West Ham away should have cemented his instant-legend status if we hung on for a draw.

But he isn't immune from criticism, especially when Rooney defenders (I'm not one of them at all) make a legitimate point about both playing badly and only one catching major flak, and the response from many is to laugh or cover their ears without explaining why.
I actually write a whole 200 words or so explaining why specifically to yourself in the Rooney thread to which you never replied.

But if you want a shortened version, here's why: One is 20 years old whilst the other is 30 and club captain. One has been shite for 3 years and only seems to be getting worse whilst the other was our best outfield player last season and showed immense potential.

Is it not natural/logical people are more patient and forgiving with the 20 year old?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.