Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

@NotShark
Also people are forgetting his age which means inconsistency should be expected a bit, something I'm sure Mou is well aware. We're not talking about some 25-27 established footballer here, we're talking about a young guy still yet to reach his true level, he'll get better with more games.

Beside some people are forgetting that even last season Martial had patches of games where he was average but became hot again toward season end. Inconsistency is expected. Just like last season I'm expecting him to catch form again go from there, however I'm still expecting a bit of inconsistency which isn't that outrageous or anything.
I think that certain posts on here really sum up how ridiculous he is for his age, more than anything and how high standards he's set. It's as if people expect him to rip every single team a new asshole, every single game. He went through a similar patch last season and I can remember similar posts questioning him. Then he finished the season phenomenally.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I actually write a whole 200 words or so explaining why specifically to yourself in the Rooney thread to which you never replied.

But if you want a shortened version, here's why: One is 20 years old whilst the other is 30 and club captain. One has been shite for 3 years and only seems to be getting worse whilst the other was our best outfield player last season and showed immense potential.

Is it not natural/logical people are more patient and forgiving with the 20 year old?
I agree with that, and sorry if I missed your response. Martial deserves a lot more slack.
But my (very limited) point is that Rooney was not a uniquely poor performer in those games.

MD7

Martial's worst performance is better than anything Memphis can do (in the EPL).
However, if we play a lower division team or a team of part timers, Memphis should do well. He proved this repeatedly last season.

To play Memphis on the left in a EPL game is a lesson which cost LVG his job. LVG gave Memphis half a season to prove himself in the EPL, which he could not do.
Why should Jose give Memphis a chance? What has Memphis done to warrant this?
Not giving him any chance doesn't make sense at all, then just sell him. What you are saying means he should never be given a chance anymore in the EPL, well then don't play for a team from the EPL... He should be making minutes because he played very decently pre-season, he is working the hardest (Mourinho's words), Martial isn't playing good enough so why not give Memphis a chance. Why should Martial get any special treatment? Just because he was the only spark in our team last year when we were playing badly doesn't mean he is irreplaceable, and others shouldn't be given any playtime.

podurban2

Not giving him any chance doesn't make sense at all, then just sell him. What you are saying means he should never be given a chance anymore in the EPL, well then don't play for a team from the EPL... He should be making minutes because he played very decently pre-season, he is working the hardest (Mourinho's words), Martial isn't playing good enough so why not give Memphis a chance. Why should Martial get any special treatment? Just because he was the only spark in our team last year when we were playing badly doesn't mean he is irreplaceable, and others shouldn't be given any playtime.
Careful, such an opinion will cause outrage in here.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The problem we have is that in order to win the title Martial is absolutely key. Sure we have won the first two games but I can guarantee that if we don't get Martial back to top form (I personally think we will) then we won't have that cutting edge that we require to match city. It's far too early to think anything other than its just a temporary dip tho so I'm personally not worried yet and he deserves at least the game againt hull to prove he should be starting still.

podurban2

The problem we have is that in order to win the title Martial is absolutely key. Sure we have won the first two games but I can guarantee that if we don't get Martial back to top form (I personally think we will) then we won't have that cutting edge that we require to match city. It's far too early to think anything other than its just a temporary dip tho so I'm personally not worried yet and he deserves at least the game againt hull to prove he should be starting still.
I certainly agree with this, it is also for the right cause. Not the "he is entitled to it" opinion many seem to have on here. I am sure this is the way Mou sees it as well.

JoaquinJoaquin

I do think his personal problems are having a cause on his game as he hasn't looked with it since the Euros. Hope he gets his act together because he is vital to our team when he is focused.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I do think his personal problems are having a cause on his game as he hasn't looked with it since the Euros. Hope he gets his act together because he is vital to our team when he is focused.
With players like Depay, Lingard, Rashford and Mkhitaryan wanting a starting place, his might soon be under threat

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree with that, and sorry if I missed your response. Martial deserves a lot more slack.
But my (very limited) point is that Rooney was not a uniquely poor performer in those games.
Rooney wasn't a uniquely poor performer but in the last 4 seasons he has been incredibly consistent in his belown averageness. Martial on the other hand, doesn't even have the decency to be poor for an entire game.

Last edited:

Ferguson

I think the papers are publishing lies about him meeting with Mourinho so they can ask for Jose to confirm or deny later.

I don't see a drop of form at all.

Martial's worst performance is better than anything Memphis can do (in the EPL).
However, if we play a lower division team or a team of part timers, Memphis should do well. He proved this repeatedly last season.

To play Memphis on the left in a EPL game is a lesson which cost LVG his job. LVG gave Memphis half a season to prove himself in the EPL, which he could not do.
Why should Jose give Memphis a chance? What has Memphis done to warrant this?
To be fair, weren't LVG's results better in that first half of the season? The idea that Memphis cost LVG his job is absolutely baffling and stinks of a poster desperate to put a player down in every way possible.

The games I pinpoint to missing out on top 4 were Spurs away, Leicester home and West Ham away... all games in which Depay didn't start.

Anyway, of course Memphis, like any other young player should be given chances when he performs in training, shows a good attitude and impresses in cameos. His few pre-season cameos were decent and Jose wouldn't keep him if he didn't expect to give him chances.

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

I think the papers are publishing lies about him meeting with Mourinho so they can ask for Jose to confirm or deny later.

I don't see a drop of form at all.
So have you been happy with his performances so far this season?

Surprised if you are. He hasn't looked a patch on what he was last season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Noticed that he is playing a little deeper than he did last season. Little things like those can always throw a player off balance for a few games.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Even in his "poor" patch of form he could have easily scored 2 goals against Southampton. His application is there, don't forget his style is very full throttle, he needs to be at peak fitness to play like he did last season. He just needs to get that killer finishing back, and we won't be mentioning any other problems.

He does oddly scuff quite a few shots though, but I guess that's just a technique issue.

ti vu

Do you honestly think that's going to cut it against top sides where Valencia will actually have to defend properly and cannot afford to bolt forward at every opportunity?
When other players hit form and the team click, our attacking outlets would not be as one dimensional. I meant MKhi is being allowed time to adapt. When that happens, we would have more threat on the right wing as well as Valencia has less to do. Juventus has literally no left winger for their preferred XI, and allow Evra to bombed forward. Pogba played similar role to Mata or Mkhi supposed to play. They balance out with tactics and do just fine against top teams and minnows. Then Mourinho's Inter had Maicon owned the whole flank without real wingers! If you question the quality of Valencia, then that's another discussion in his own thread. So far he has picked up good form since Mourinho takes over.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Rooney wasn't a uniquely poor performer but in the last 4 seasons he has been incredibely consistent in his belown averageness. Martial on the other hand, doesn't even have the decency to be poor for an entire game.
Well said :lol:

I can't believe some people are actually comparing Rooney and Martial situations. One has been poor for years, the other for 2 games and still had moments which point to him still having something to offer.

I'm sure Rooney 3 or 4 years ago when he was a consistent performer and started having bad games, people were understanding of him going through bad patches(in fact that's the Rooney's stories. Become poor and people claim that he needs time and a bunch of games to hit form again, and people were generally accepting of this and letting his bad performances slide. It's just happens he's been consistently poor for years now which even the most patient of blokes out there got fed up with.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
When other players hit form and the team click, our attacking outlets would not be as one dimensional. I meant MKhi is being allowed time to adapt. When that happens, we would have more threat on the right wing as well as Valencia has less to do. Juventus has literally no left winger for their preferred XI, and allow Evra to bombed forward. Pogba played similar role to Mata or Mkhi supposed to play. They balance out with tactics and do just fine against top teams and minnows. Then Mourinho's Inter had Maicon owned the whole flank without real wingers! If you question the quality of Valencia, then that's another discussion in his own thread. So far he has picked up good form since Mourinho takes over.
I agree. It can work. And no, I'm not really questioning Tony as an attacking threat, more his positional play in defense. But my gripe is certainly not with him at right back, he's done well and he can improve there. It's more that I don't think we should have too many slow players, and we shouldn't play people out of position in the RW role. Of course Mkhi will get game time, he was surely bought for the starting 11, but I'm still worried that this selection may be the case for a while.

marlowe78

I don't think he's playing poorly at all. He is learning to work in a new system like everyone else, it won't come off right the first few games.

He looks like he's ready to hit form. He just needs some luck and getting back to full fitness.

I don't think he's playing poorly at all. He is learning to work in a new system like everyone else, it won't come off right the first few games.

He looks like he's ready to hit form. He just needs some luck and getting back to full fitness.
He's doing fine. He looks a little unfit perhaps and obviously teams will be more wary of him this season, but mostly I think we were all so excited by him because he was the only attacking threat we had. Now he's not.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Only concern is that he gets back upfront later in his career.

I'd even like games this season where, if Memphis steps up or one of Lingard or Mikhi can play on the left, Martial gets game time upfront. I don't want him to 'forget' that position.

Ferguson

So have you been happy with his performances so far this season?

Surprised if you are. He hasn't looked a patch on what he was last season.
Yes, I have been happy.

It is the start of season so nobody is on top form. He is in a new system which requires the wingers to do more tracking back instead of just focusing on attacking.

He's still provided pace and taken on defenders despite all of that, and he has played better with each game.

His goal tally will be less than last season given he won't play as a 9, and it was only 1 in 4 last season anyway. No use overreacting to his not getting a goal yet.

The papers say that Jose has spoken to him and even that Rashford will start in his place, but I think they are just stirring the pot and know nothing.

I expect him to start the next match

Last edited:

Jaybomb

He's good but not as good as everyone makes out. If Memphis gets a shot in the team and actually starts scoring, he will offer much more on the LM spot than Martial.

BlakeUtd

He's good but not as good as everyone makes out. If Memphis gets a shot in the team and actually starts scoring, he will offer much more on the LM spot than Martial.
:eek:Thats a pretty bold assumption. what has memphis shown to make you think this. Even in his worst games Martial has done more to contribute to the teams play as a whole (i.e. not loosing possession at every turn,actually being a threat to beat his man). You say that "if memphis actually starts scoring" but that a huge if. He hasnt looked a proper goal threat against any decent opposition imo

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This assumption that he's best up front won't just go away. Even though he's played 90% of his career on the wing and was by far our best outfield player, in that position.
He needs to see as much of the ball as possible, something that won't happen while he's a striker. And his second half performances have been very good, stop knee-jerking.

Witchking

He was pretty decent against Southampton in the second half and had a couple of great chances which would have boosted his confidence but i am sure he will be be excellent again. If we can afford time to someone like Rooney and say "oh it's just the start, he takes 8-10 games to come in to match rhythm" then we can surely afford time to a 20 year old who has gone through some tough last months with the Euros and some personal issues.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
No wonder Depay is so shit, he spends half his time posting on the caf!

SirAF

Ageist
I know we're supposed to respect each others opinions and all.. but holy feck batman!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Gets two assists against Bournemouth, contributed well against Southampton and people are suggesting he be dropped for Memphis? :houllier:

SteveW

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: What planet are you on?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hopefully he scores tomorrow, so that this thread can get back to normal.

Kag

Some people are now guilty of expecting him to pick the ball up on the left, dribble past three players, cut inside and score every game. If he doesn't, they're like, why? He must be out of form...

That sort of expectancy isn't sustainable or even remotely fair. He's doing just fine, and I expect he'll hit the back of the net soon enough.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Think it's a bit of a shellshock for everybody that this guy is not running 90% of our matches like he used to last season, where he was a focal point of everything and if a goal happened, you can bet he touched the ball somewhere before it went to the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.