5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

podurban2

Once again a "newbie" posts nonsense and everyone goes apeshit. Why even bother with these posters?

TsuWave

He's good but not as good as everyone makes out. If Memphis gets a shot in the team and actually starts scoring, he will offer much more on the LM spot than Martial.
:confused::houllier:

was hoping for white text.

tomaldinho1

I don't really get the negativity, he has been ok but hasn't exactly been amazing. Completely normal given we are two games into the season...

MD7

Some people are now guilty of expecting him to pick the ball up on the left, dribble past three players, cut inside and score every game. If he doesn't, they're like, why? He must be out of form...

That sort of expectancy isn't sustainable or even remotely fair. He's doing just fine, and I expect he'll hit the back of the net soon enough.
That's not really true. It's not only about scoring, and dribbling. His passing was off, first touch wasn't great, and ran too long with the ball when he should've passed it. Currently he's losing the ball, or slowing down the game more than creating actual chances, and that's something that isn't good enough. Which is why others should get a chance to prove themselves. Not necessarily for a whole game, Martial should start, but if he plays like the last few games I would get him out around minute 60.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think in this game he'll be one step closer to his best form and confidence. There was a noticeable improvement between match 1 and 2 (and specially in the 2nd half at OT). He has been a bit underwhelming but it's just 2 matches so far so patience is more than needed.

Kag

That's not really true. It's not only about scoring, and dribbling. His passing was off, first touch wasn't great, and ran too long with the ball when he should've passed it. Currently he's losing the ball, or slowing down the game more than creating actual chances, and that's something that isn't good enough. Which is why others should get a chance to prove themselves. Not necessarily for a whole game, Martial should start, but if he plays like the last few games I would get him out around minute 60.
It is in some cases. Last season Martial was causing havoc down that left flank. The entire attack was reliant on him doing something with the ball. Right now, that isn't the case (which is somewhat refreshing) and I think some people are finding that difficult to comprehend. I mean, he was guilty of the negatives you speak of even last season, so him losing the ball or making a wrong turn isn't new to any of us. It's just part and parcel of his development.

Ultimately, we're two games in and I'm not worried. If he struggles in a particular game then take him off, by all means. But he had a good second half against Southampton, which bodes well for us.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
It is in some cases. Last season Martial was causing havoc down that left flank. The entire attack was reliant on him doing something with the ball. Right now, that isn't the case (which is somewhat refreshing) and I think some people are finding that difficult to comprehend. I mean, he was guilty of the negatives you speak of even last season, so him losing the ball or making a wrong turn isn't new to any of us. It's just part and parcel of his development.

Ultimately, we're two games in and I'm not worried. If he struggles in a particular game then take him off, by all means. But he had a good second half against Southampton, which bodes well for us.
Couldn't agree more with this post. I remember Martial saying in an interview that LvG used to scream at him for his misplaced short passes and it's still something he needs to work on.

He's a quality player and you can still see his ability in the last couple of games. He'll improve for sure but we just have to accept he won't be the sole focal point of our attack.

kr0nix

I'm not worried about him at all. He's one of the first names on the teamsheet and there on merit.

Jaybomb

:eek:Thats a pretty bold assumption. what has memphis shown to make you think this. Even in his worst games Martial has done more to contribute to the teams play as a whole (i.e. not loosing possession at every turn,actually being a threat to beat his man). You say that "if memphis actually starts scoring" but that a huge if. He hasnt looked a proper goal threat against any decent opposition imo
Memphis is a proper winger. Martial is a natural striker. A lot of people seem to forget this. He lacks certain qualities to play as a winger. For starters, I don't think I've ever seen him cross a ball in. Or make a good off-the-ball run.

It's getting a bit tiresome how you can't criticise Martial without someone thinking you're WUMing. He's still got a ton to learn and improve on. He's only 20 remember. And for what it's worth, yeah I think Depay will thrive under Jose if he hits PSV form again. If he hits that form, he will be seen as the better player IMO. His confidence is shot.

Kag

Memphis is a proper winger. Martial is a natural striker. A lot of people seem to forget this. He lacks certain qualities to play as a winger. For starters, I don't think I've ever seen him cross a ball in. Or make a good off-the-ball run.

It's getting a bit tiresome how you can't criticise Martial without someone thinking you're WUMing. He's still got a ton to learn and improve on. He's only 20 remember. And for what it's worth, yeah I think Depay will thrive under Jose if he hits PSV form again. If he hits that form, he will be seen as the better player IMO. His confidence is shot.
Neither of them are wingers and neither of them have been playing as such. They're wide forwards. They don't hug the touchlines, they don't put in crosses and they're in their sides (whether it be United, France, Holland, PSV or Monaco) to score goals.

You've never seen Martial make a good off the ball run?

Jaybomb

Neither of them are wingers and neither of them have been playing as such. They're wide forwards. They don't hug the touchlines, they don't put in crosses and they're in their sides (whether it be United, France, Holland, PSV or Monaco) to score goals.

You've never seen Martial make a good off the ball run?
Memphis is one of our best crossers of the ball.

TsuWave

Memphis is one of our best crossers of the ball.
so is borthwick jackson, that doesn't make him a "proper winger". Memphis is a wide forward, same for martial who happens to be much more of a threat due to his speed and dribbling.

Memphis had a nightmarish season and you're willing to put it under "shot confidence", martial has two average games, not even bad, average, and somehow Memphis will "offer much more from the left" :/

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What is the point of being he best crosser when you can't even find space to cross the ball.

Jaybomb

so is borthwick jackson, that doesn't make him a "proper winger". Memphis is a wide forward, same for martial who happens to be much more of a threat due to his speed and dribbling.

Memphis had a nightmarish season and you're willing to put it under "shot confidence", martial has two average games, not even bad, average, and somehow Memphis will "offer much more from the left" :/
Except Martial was only converted to a winger under LVG. He was originally a number 9, hence why we gave him the number 9 shirt. It's basically like how Sturridge played as a winger for Chelsea and England when everyone knows he's really a striker and that's his best position. Probably not the best example but you get where I'm coming from.

Memphis is a LW over a striker. He wouldn't fare well up front. I reckon Martial would be much better in the middle. We need width and Martial and Mata cut inside far too much. And not in a good way like Ronaldo does where he hits a 40 yard screamer from time to time...

I suspect Mkhitaryan is the same as Mata/Martial. These guys are "middle" players. We need 2 proper wingers like Giggs/Kanchelskis who'll bomb down the wing and feed Ibra with crosses.

Jaybomb

He is? We didn't see much of that last season. I still don't think he was in the side because of it either. It's our full backs we rely on to give us width.
He was doing well till he started taking all those risks and LVG dropped him because of it.

I changed my tune on Memphis. I used to think he wasn't deserving of the number 7 shirt but I realise he's still a young player who's learning his trade in the PL. I think he can be a top player under Jose. It's weird to me that so many people are writing him off considering he came into the club with so much hype. A lot of people didn't know who Martial was and now people are acting like he's the undisputed best player in the world ever. He's also still young and both offer different things. Memphis beats him in pace, power and shooting IMO. But Martial is better at dribbling and passing.

3KDré

He was doing well till he started taking all those risks and LVG dropped him because of it.

I changed my tune on Memphis. I used to think he wasn't deserving of the number 7 shirt but I realise he's still a young player who's learning his trade in the PL. I think he can be a top player under Jose. It's weird to me that so many people are writing him off considering he came into the club with so much hype. A lot of people didn't know who Martial was and now people are acting like he's the undisputed best player in the world ever. He's also still young and both offer different things. Memphis beats him in pace, power and shooting IMO. But Martial is better at dribbling and passing.
No chance.

3KDré

Except Martial was only converted to a winger under LVG. He was originally a number 9, hence why we gave him the number 9 shirt.
Not really converted. He played more games as a winger in first team games for Monaco than as a striker IIRC.

jungledrums

Except Martial was only converted to a winger under LVG. He was originally a number 9, hence why we gave him the number 9 shirt. It's basically like how Sturridge played as a winger for Chelsea and England when everyone knows he's really a striker and that's his best position. Probably not the best example but you get where I'm coming from.

Memphis is a LW over a striker. He wouldn't fare well up front. I reckon Martial would be much better in the middle. We need width and Martial and Mata cut inside far too much. And not in a good way like Ronaldo does where he hits a 40 yard screamer from time to time...

I suspect Mkhitaryan is the same as Mata/Martial. These guys are "middle" players. We need 2 proper wingers like Giggs/Kanchelskis who'll bomb down the wing and feed Ibra with crosses.
You're right. Memphis never cuts in. Not even once.

Nickosaur

And you're talking nonsense. See his Monaco games. It was by no means a new position once he came here.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!

So what? Last season actually happened, you know. People rate Martial higher because he's miles better than Memphis and was our best outfield player last season.

Memphis has done feck all so far and the fact he was hyped as one of the best talents around means feck all. Plenty of players struggle to recreate their form from the Eredivisie when they leave the Netherlands and at least for now, it seems like Memphis is one of them.

As for the second bolded part - Memphis certainly isn't better than Martial in terms of shooting and pace. In fact, I wouldn't even say he's more "powerful". He's built like a tank, but still gets brushed off the ball too easily at times.

jungledrums

He cuts in to shoot from distance. The others cut in to pass instead of cross. There's a difference.
You have a strange, one-dimensional approach to football. No point debating with you, to be honest.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why are we comparing Martial to Memphis? They aren't even in the same bracket as far as I'm concerned.

MD7

As for the second bolded part - Memphis certainly isn't better than Martial in terms of shooting and pace. In fact, I wouldn't even say he's more "powerful". He's built like a tank, but still gets brushed off the ball too easily at times.
I'm not going to discuss pace because I don't really know, but I think Martial is faster.

Shooting? Memphis is by far the better player. Look at the goals from Martial last season, there was 1 (yes only 1) that wasn't just finishing in the box. Memphis on the other hand showed many times that he can shoot from distance, during games, and also at training. Why do you think they give him the #1 spot for free kicks last season, even when he was playing so badly? They decide such rankings during training, and Giggs even said that he was going to follow in the footsteps of Beckham, and Ronaldo [1]

Scorpy

I'm not going to discuss pace because I don't really know, but I think Martial is faster.

Shooting? Memphis is by far the better player. Look at the goals from Martial last season, there was 1 (yes only 1) that wasn't just finishing in the box. Memphis on the other hand showed many times that he can shoot from distance, during games, and also at training. Why do you think they give him the #1 spot for free kicks last season, even when he was playing so badly? They decide such rankings during training, and Giggs even said that he was going to follow in the footsteps of Beckham, and Ronaldo [1]
Because Van Gaal was clueless? I fail to think of a single decent free kick that Memphis took last season and I'm not even taking the piss. His free kicks were absolute garbage.

I also don't agree Memphis is better than Martial in terms of shooting, let alone "by far". He had some decent shots last season, but most of them were like the ones 18-year-old Ronaldo used to take back in the day. That's what surprised people the most. He was shite at everything he was supposed to be good at.

The comparisons to Martial are beyond embarrassing. I can't believe we're even having this discussion, to be honest.

Shark

@NotShark

That's a crock of shite. I can't remember the last time Memphis had a good shot at goal.

Jaybomb

Because Van Gaal was clueless? I fail to think of a single decent free kick that Memphis took last season and I'm not even taking the piss. His free kicks were absolute garbage.

I also don't agree Memphis is better than Martial in terms of shooting, let alone "by far". He had some decent shots last season, but most of them were like the ones 18-year-old Ronaldo used to take back in the day. That's what surprised people the most. He was shite at everything he was supposed to be good at.

The comparisons to Martial are beyond embarrassing. I can't believe we're even having this discussion, to be honest.
They're only "embarrassing" cause he's not in the team right now. When Memphis starts scoring for us, you're gonna look back on this thread and feel really embarrassed. I guarantee you that.

Scorpy

They're only "embarrassing" cause he's not in the team right now. When Memphis starts scoring for us, you're gonna look back on this thread and feel really embarrassed. I guarantee you that.
looking forward to it.

Jaybomb

I think Martial has scored one goal for us outside the box. His finishing needs big improvement. He'll miss the odd one on one here and there but apparently he's a better shooter than a guy who's scored regular long shots and free kicks for PSV... Okay.

Jaybomb

looking forward to it.
Check the Fellaini thread. Everyone was calling for his head before the season started and now nearly everyone has him in their preferred starting 11 alongside Pogba. It only takes one good game to change a hundred people's minds.

Thats why I don't judge players on form. I judge them on talent. Form is temporary and Football fans in general, are fickle.

Scorpy

Check the Fellaini thread. Everyone was calling for his head before the season started and now nearly everyone has him in their preferred starting 11 alongside Pogba. It only takes one good game to change a hundred people's minds.

Thats why I don't judge players on form. I judge them on talent. Form is temporary and Football fans in general, are fickle.
I don't get why I should feel embarrassed when Memphis starts scoring, as the comparisons are "embarrassing" based on what both of them have shown at United since their respective moves last summer.

I think one entire season is long enough to judge a player and Memphis' performances were consistently shit. Surely no one could dispute that? You make it sound like we're saying Memphis is not good enough based on a single game.

Yes, he did great in the Netherlands, but his PSV performances can't really change how last season went and make no difference to his situation at United. He's struggling to show any of the talent that made us buy him last summer, apart from a couple of games against Brugges and Midtjylland.

Hopefully he turns it around, but there aren't any real signs pointing towards it right now and is rightfully behind Martial in the pecking order on the left.

Plenty of players have struggled to make the transition from the Dutch league to one of the top leagues and at least for now, it seems like he's one of them.

You can judge on talent all you want, but unless the player shows the said talent, it's pointless. He can't really rest on his laurels.

Kag

I don't mind Memphis. There are positives to his game and I'm not going to write him off just yet. But he isn't a patch on Martial and isn't really deserving of game time at the moment. He'll get his chances this season, though, and it's up to him to take them.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
What excites me is that we have a Martial firing at about 60%, and yet we are grinding out wins, last year if Martial didn't operate at full pace we would either draw or loose. Also teams no longer have the luxury of double marking Martial and then suffocating our attacking threat, now they have so many more players to focus on that they can't dedicate two to Martial. This will benefit him hugely when he is back on song.

Can't wait until everyone starts firing on all cylinders.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.