Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Marcus Rashford: 398 mins played in the Premier League this season
Anthony Martial: 127 mins

How is that 'rotation'? Mourinho has his clear favourite and sadly it is not the more talented and better performing one of the two. Dissent

Devil may care

There's another international break? fecks sake.
Yep, and another bloody break in November as well.

You can't really accuse Mourinho of mismanagement when both are playing well.
I think that's the bottom line.
That's the snag though isn't it, Rashford's only been good against Burton this month, where as Martial is playing very well and still gets dropped.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Martial for me is arguably the most talented player in the squad.

Against dross like Palace we should be playing all three of him, Rashford and Lukaku.
Jose can do no wrong according to most on here, despite his history of messing up a lot.

InfiniteBoredom

I think most people believe that the kid needs a run of games. He's done more than enough to deserve that. He's been dropped by France, not because of his brilliant performances but José insists on what I think is a silly rotation.
He came into the club to be a #9, got shifted to the LW, and has performed well. Things need to start going his way.
That's a bit unfair on Mourinho. He's been frozen out of the French NT following the Euro. While not being first choice for us certainly hurts him in the current selection, not like that only happens now.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I mean, I could understand if we are facing Southampton or sth at home, a team that's decent and could hurt us on the break, which prompts Jose to select Rashford for his workrate. This is Crystal Palace ffs, they've been absolute shambles all season and this is a perfect opportunity following the CSKA game for Martial to continue performing and building his confidence. Even if fitness is an issue, surely a starting berth sends a signal that good performance will be rewarded?

Martial has had a single, solitary league start this season, all other appearances have been sub/cup games. That's squad player status. Pretending that the both of them are equal in rotation is disingenuous. SAF used to do the same, first choice starts in the league, second string play in early cup games and 'easy' CL groupstage matches.
This is why I'm saying some people are pathetic. Attempting to likened the importance of league games and cup games to explain rotation either show ignorance or one's character.

Absolutely sad.

dichinero

You can't really accuse Mourinho of mismanagement when both are playing well.
I think that's the bottom line.
True but in the long run could we be getting a better Martial if he's given the confidence of an extended run of games. IMO, Rashford will never be a LW, Martial does not need to have his own progression hampered given that he is later than Rashford in his development. He simply needs more games than he's been afforded.

gajender

fecking hell, this post.
What's wrong in my post , it's an opinion not everybody rates Rashford that highly I believe if we lose Martial we would need to buy a starter for our left wing. I don't consider Rashford to be long-term solution for our wing positions.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Marcus Rashford: 398 mins played in the Premier League this season
Anthony Martial: 127 mins

How is that 'rotation'? Mourinho has his clear favourite and sadly it is not the more talented and better performing one of the two. Dissent
Rashford has hardly played in the CL. You can use that argument as well.
Or are you saying we aren't taking the CL seriously?

mu4c_20le

Well he wouldn't be starting at City or Chelsea but, even if he was, I really don't rate him that highly at all. Certainly nowhere near as highly as I rate Martial anyway.
Thats the thing, if he wasn't starting for those clubs we would be salivating at the prospect of signing him. I think he's not only a massive talent but has the attitude to match it. Martial is more exciting because he has more va-va-voom, but that doens't suddenly turn Rashford into an average talent.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
If I start listing excuses that have come up to explain Martial "justified" benching after brilliant performances, it'd make for some great comedy.
It's far more ridiculous when you listen to the theories put forth to explain why Martial tends to start in the cups and Rashford starts in the league. Apparently it's because Rashford is English.

InfiniteBoredom

One bad game against Everton. Before that he was scoring regularly.
He was just as anonymous in attack against Southampton but because of his defensive work in the 2nd half it was glossed over.

Just quoting Deschamps.
That's why I said his current status in the Utd squad hurts his NT selection, but Deschamps has been freezing him out since last season, so it's not all down to Mourinho.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
No. If you check squwka, Martial is outperforming Rashford massively. And the PL has a lot more matches and is our bread and butter. Guess who has been outperforming who, even in the PL? And who is staring most of the games.

An Irish Red

Thats the thing, if he wasn't starting for those clubs we would be salivating at the prospect of signing him. I think he's not only a massive talent but has the attitude to match it. Martial is more exciting because he has more va-va-voom, but that doens't suddenly turn Rashford into an average talent.
I don't think we would be but anyway, I'm not saying he's an average talent but I think he's too lacking in ability to ever reach the levels that Martial could (and should) reach.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
That's a bit unfair on Mourinho. He's been frozen out of the French NT following the Euro. While not being first choice for us certainly hurts him in the current selection, not like that only happens now.
Deschamps said that Martial lack of playing time was a factor of him not being recalled

Rajma

If this sort of pattern continues deep into the season, no one could blame him if he decides to leave us next summer for his own good.

dichinero

With all due respect, Basel and CSKA aren't exactly teams that I will call major threats to our ambition. I also think our priority is more inclined towards the PL.

But like you said, we are winning and I guess that's all that matters but you can understand some of the concern, it is not unjustified.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
One bad game against Everton. Before that he was scoring regularly.
Didn't perform against Southampton either.

And no I'm not judging him as a defender but an attacker so don't even bother bringing up his defensive contribution over what he was supposed to do offensively.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
If this sort of pattern continues deep into the season, no one could blame him if he decides to leave us next summer for his own good.
He'd take a fair chunk of Caf posters with him by the sounds of things.

I seem to recall Martial not being particularly favoured by France even when he started regularly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He does though. Started 7/10 games this season, coming off the bench in the other three :p
Precisely. Someone posted stats about martial's minutes in the PL and it's absolutely laughable. Rashford is clearly first choice when it actually matters (more). It's all well and good right now when Martial does superbly whenever he plays but it's only a matter of time before it affects his form/happiness. He's simply too good to be second choice.

Also, why not just play both? It's crystal palace ffs. They're both hard working players. Players like Mata exactly defensive beasts. He's a puny little fecker as much as we all like him.

Adisa

[QUOTE="MThomas, post: 21548085, member: 9038"]It's not much of an argument to compare two early group stage matches in what is an easy group, to 6/7 starts in the Premier League, a competition we're desperate to compete in[/QUOTE]
When has Mourinho ever put a weakened side out for CL group stage game, regardless of how easy it's perceived?
Pretty sure if Rashford was clearly first choice, he'd have started those games as well.
Look, I'm as frustrated as anyone and I also feel Martial should be one of the first names on the teamsheet but it's too early to be drawing conclusions.

Gbenger

It's not much of an argument to compare two early group stage matches in what is an easy group, to 6/7 starts in the Premier League, a competition we're desperate to compete in
When the difficult CL games start, Martial would probably be dropped in favour of Rashford.

Martial was never starting today. Those trying to defend Jose not starting him due a knock or injury concerns are either ridiculously insincere or extremely deluded because Jose wanted him to play the full 90 minutes in Moscow but Martial actually forced him to take him off. He simply wasn't planning to start him regardless.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Didn't perform against Southampton either.

And no I'm not judging him as a defender but an attacker so don't even bother bringing up his defensive contribution over what he was supposed to do offensively.
Nor did any of our other attackers except for Lukaku, are you judging Juan Mata this harshly? Because he hasn't got any goals or assists in any of his games compared to Rashford's 5 goals in 11 and 2 assists. Or do you only judge players who play LW to this threshold.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
[QUOTE="MThomas, post: 21548085, member: 9038"]It's not much of an argument to compare two early group stage matches in what is an easy group, to 6/7 starts in the Premier League, a competition we're desperate to compete in
When has Mourinho ever put a weakened side out for CL group stage game, regardless of how easy it's perceived?
Pretty sure if Rashford was clearly first choice, he'd have started those games as well.
Look, I'm as frustrated as anyone and I also feel Martial should be one of the first names on the teamsheet but it's too early to be drawing conclusions.[/QUOTE]

I didn't use the words weakened, I just said that i don't think it's much of a comparison. Rashford will be close to 400 mins more of Premiership football after 7 matches vs a Martial who is currently performing at a much higher level.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
When the difficult CL games start, Martial would probably be dropped in favour of Rashford.

Martial was never starting today. Those trying to defend Jose not starting him due a knock or injury concerns are either ridiculously insincere or extremely deluded because Jose wanted him to play the full 90 minutes in Moscow but Martial actually forced him to take him off. He simply wasn't planning to start him regardless.
This.

Some people are just insincere.

Adisa

With all due respect, Basel and CSKA aren't exactly teams that I will call major threats to our ambition. I also think our priority is more inclined towards the PL.

But like you said, we are winning and I guess that's all that matters but you can understand some of the concern, it is not unjustified.
I understand some of the criticism. Just look at the Martial thread. I'm as frustrated as anyone that he isn't starting. It's an unpopular opinion but I am of the opinion that Martial is clearly the superior player. However, it's too early to draw conclusions. On the face of it, it looks like rotation to me but as time goes, we will see if it really is.

Man Utd 4:0 Crystal Palace

Adisa

I can't believe a journo hasn't even bothered to ask Mourinho his thinking behind the two. What are they doing ffs?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Nor did any of our other attackers except for Lukaku, are you judging Juan Mata this harshly? Because he hasn't got any goals or assists in any of his games compared to Rashford's 5 goals in 11 and 2 assists. Or do you only judge players who play LW to this threshold.
I've already addressed the Mata issue in the appropriate thread, and for what is worth I've always said I'd have all behind Lukaku rotating depending on their forms, contribution and necessity.

But Mourinho is the one who's made it between Martial and Rashford thus Mata nor Miki aren't concerned regarding this issue.

Borden

Again Jose being the manager picks his line ups and manages his squad based on what he feels gives us the best chance of winning and reaching the clubs goals for the season. Not really difficult to understand.
Of course he does. So did LvG and Moyes. So I don't quite see your point.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have no issue with Rashford playing, my gripe has always been that we refuse to play them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.