g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's being told to come inside too often, which means it becomes more of a one/two touch game for him.

His strength is dribbling. He's fantastic at it, and 9 times out of 10, he will beat his man.

Under Van Gaal, he got into so many 1v1 situations because he used to hug the touchline.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Really starting to frustrate me beyond belief now.

Typical scenario is Martial gets the ball at a standing start, takes a few touches, tries to dribble past 3 or 4 players, then loses the ball 99 out of 100 times having done too much.
Everyone knows he won't go wide, and will cut in. Everyone knows!

JK-27

That performance sums up why Martial hasn't been playing regularly this season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's being told to come inside too often, which means it becomes more of a one/two touch game for him.

His strength is dribbling. He's fantastic at it, and 9 times out of 10, he will beat his man.

Under Van Gaal, he got into so many 1v1 situations because he used to hug the touchline.
He'll generally beat a man yes, but then loses it trying to beat the next one. It's super frustrating.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Stop giving excuses. All players today deserve 0/10 and he's not any different.
And you stop giving excuses for Jose! I'm not saying Martial was great or anything like that - but no way can you excuse Jose's coaching here. It's been evident ever since he's been our manager.

As I said in the post match thread, I cannot blame the attackers too much when there is a non existent system in place for them to flourish. If said system and coaching was evident and they still underperformed then it would be the players 100%. However, no such thing in place. The manager needs to fix this.

Foxbatt

He needs to run at defenders with the ball. He is being asked to pass the ball. He is not a player maker. I would say he is frustrated with the Rashford's refusal to pass in the first half. Martial was open and Rashford should have passed.

Basa1987

Handed a great opportunity but immensely frustrating.

I think it was around the 90' minute, the ball was in the box and a defender took it off him. But he just gave up without as much as a token challenge.

Walters_19_MuFc

He'll generally beat a man yes, but then loses it trying to beat the next one. It's super frustrating.
Because under Mourinho he's having to drop deep. If he's in the final third of the pitch, more often than not, once he beats the full back, he will have an opportunity to cross/shoot.

RRCE

That performance sums up why Martial hasn't been playing regularly this season.
Exactly. He wasn’t good at all today. He’s a talented kid, and I would hate to see him go, but I hope the Martial apologists we’re watching. He has a lot to learn, both tactically and with his work ethic.

Castia

Shite today but if they were all judged on that performance we’d need 11 new players.

If Rashford would have passed the ball early in the first half he’d probably have a goal and a completely different game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was terrific against Arsenal but ineffective today. Honestly just get the feeling with him that he's sick of it at this point and doesn't want to be here. And you can't blame him. Obviously the performances have declined massively, but that started with him constantly getting dropped, moved around, rarely given any slack, and even way back to when the club just gave Ibrahimovic the #9 without consulting Martial. We've treated him like shit since that first season, and I think it's pretty obvious now that it's just gotten to a point where he wants out.

Probably best for both club and him tbf. He's never going to amount to much playing under Mourinho, so we'll always be frustrated with him while he'll never reach his best. He'll move and fulfill his huge potential somewhere else and there will be all the "missed out on another one", but Mourinho just doesn't know how to get the best out of players like him. Just like if he had De Bruyne or Salah right now, they wouldn't be as good as they are for City or Liverpool.

el3mel

And you stop giving excuses for Jose! I'm not saying Martial was great or anything like that - but no way can you excuse Jose's coaching here. It's been evident ever since he's been our manager.

As I said in the post match thread, I cannot blame the attackers too much when there is a non existent system in place for them to flourish. If said system and coaching was evident and they still underperformed then it would be the players 100%. However, no such thing in place. The manager needs to fix this.
When did I give Jose any excuses for the shite show today or are you just inventing things out of your mind ? Look up, see the thread title ? "Martial performance thread", do you understand what does this mean ? I'm supposed to talk about Martial here right ? I have slaughtered other players in their threads and no one defended them a bit but here one criticism and excuses start coming out of no where. Stop excuses. He was as terrible as the rest and being a fan favorite doesn't change anything.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sadly becoming a bit of a one trick pony. He'll beat a man but defences can judge whats next and snuff him out after he beats that first man. As a player its hard to make the case his decision making has markedly improved since 2015. Still doesn't run in behind, still doesn't use the fullbacks overlapping, still caught waiting for ball to feet.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
His face tells it all. Perhaps deserves bit more time to mature but that shouldn't stop Mourinho from searching for fearless attacker to bridge that gap and simply give his team more goals.

No hate for Tony but there's a reason why he's not selected often in international games as a starter just yet.

Jazz

When did I give Jose any excuses for the shite show today or are you just inventing things out of your mind ? Look up, see the thread title ? "Martial performance thread", do you understand what does this mean ? I'm supposed to talk about Martial here right ? I have slaughtered other players in their threads and no one defended them a bit but here one criticism and excuses start coming out of no where. Stop excuses. He was as terrible as the rest and being a fan favorite doesn't change anything.
You are giving Jose an out.

There's never any context with you when it comes to Martial. He's just bad, bad, bad. It can't be that there is another issue there affecting our attackers, especially when it comes to Martial for you.

Jazz

They were all utter rubbish.

At least he was trying to make stuff happen. Not great, but better than Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Pogba on the day.
Exactly what i saw as well. Not good in the end, but to say he wasn't even trying is baffling to me.

el3mel

There's never any context with you when it comes to Martial. He's just bad, bad, bad. It can't be that there is another issue there affecting our attackers, especially when it comes to Martial for you.
Proves exactly that you didn't even read a single post of mine in this thread. Typical from someone who just wants to make any kind of excuses anyway. You're saying what you memorize.

Pretty sure you were preparing exactly that post to replay with it on anyone who dare to criticize Martial in his thread.

Witchking

Mourinho's career is littered with titles. Martials....
Will also be littered with titles once he leaves United. A shame really since Jose won't be with United long enough to set a long term plan anyway after selling him.

Either way, it's United's loss.

goin4glory

Will also be littered with titles once he leaves United. A shame really since Jose won't be with United long enough to set a long term plan anyway after selling him.

Either way, it's United's loss.
Yes I'm sure he'll be winning the lot when he gets his dream move to Sevilla.

Loublaze

ATLien
They were all utter rubbish.

At least he was trying to make stuff happen. Not great, but better than Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Pogba on the day.
He was the worst, especially in the second half. At least Rasford worked the keeper a few times (one of them producing a great save). This has to be the worst performance ive seen from Martial this season. He couldn't get passed anyone with his first dribble and he showed zero composure when he was acres in space with the ball at his feet inside the box.

King Eric 7

I felt at times that we should have given him the ball more, especially near their penalty area. Service to him was very poor and while he didn't cover himself in glory I thought he played OK.

3KDré

I don't understand some of these posts. He was central to most of our good chances. We've seen so many times already that if you play him consistently and put some faith in him he'll play well but I can't understand how everyone is expecting him to be consistent when his game time is not consistent. Has he even been allowed to start more than 5 games this season in a row?

redIndianDevil

It's not just him, there are a lot who will flood this page to trash him for no reason.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't understand some of these posts. He was central to most of our good chances. We've seen so many times already that if you play him consistently and put some faith in him he'll play well but I can't understand how everyone is expecting him to be consistent when his game time is not consistent. Has he even been allowed to start more than 5 games this season in a row?
We've seen him have one 3 (or was it 4?) game streak of similar performances but with an assist or a goal. As great as those things are, he doesn't actually help the team play much better as a whole most of the time, and is why when he doesn't get those things he looks poor, every single time.

Witchking

That's reserved for Jose's star striker Lukaku. Nothing against Lukaku to be honest, but Jose is aa massive hypocrite. Shudder to think that we might keep Fellaini and sell Martial.

Martial has been on the bench and of course went off form. he knows that however well he plays, he is not going to start the FA Cup final unless Lukaku is not fit. Martial has not been that bad to deserve such treatment. Same for Rashford. Score brilliant goals versus Liverpool and then go on the bench again. If a manager doesn't trust a player then the player is not going to trust the manager.

Smores

He was bloody awful no two ways about it. Whats worse is that it's always the same mistakes from him.

Poor coaching must be part of it but he should be learning to develop his own game himself too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Because under Mourinho he's having to drop deep. If he's in the final third of the pitch, more often than not, once he beats the full back, he will have an opportunity to cross/shoot.
Under a very attacking manager, I dare say he'd be starting in better places.
The obvious problem is that he hasn't got that, but although the amount of times we've scored 4 shows we're not as negative as a lot like to make up, there's too many of these sort of displays.

Ashley R1+O

*Shrug*. This is exactly why Sanchez was brought in, to give a buffer for a few years and continue to develop Martial (and Rashers). Martial is still a good few seasons away from being ready, he needs to take a good look at himself and the mountain of work in front of him. United players chomp at the bit to make themselves better, the rest? They run.

Don't want to see him go but his head has become way to big for where he is at in our team and in his personal development.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I felt at times that we should have given him the ball more, especially near their penalty area. Service to him was very poor and while he didn't cover himself in glory I thought he played OK.
Rashford made a terrible decision in the first half, despite having done excellently to make the chance.

Square that ball, and Martial has at worst a half chance to score.

Witchking

If it's a decision between Mourinho and Martial then I'll go for the guaranteed winner every time.
Nothing is guaranteed with Jose. Honing and seeing a top talent becoming a top player and fulfil his talent should be at the top for many managers except for Jose.

He only wants to keep his reputation intact. Sucks really as he is an excellent manager on his day but is finding out that his management skills are not up to a scratch anymore. Unless he accepts that and improves like he expects his players to do, the club is going to keep buying players and hope some player clicks for us like Salah.

If he keeps Fellaini and sells Martial, you know that the club lost rather than Jose.

We both want the best for the club but have different ideas as to what United to do. Carry on.

Walters_19_MuFc

Under a very attacking manager, I dare say he'd be starting in better places.
The obvious problem is that he hasn't got that, but although the amount of times we've scored 4 shows we're not as negative as a lot like to make up, there's too many of these sort of displays.
I'm not talking about attacking or defensive managers. I'm merely talking about starting positions and the way Jose wants his wingers to play. He doesn't want his wingers to hug the touchline. He wants them to play in between the lines and link play. To me, that isn't Martial. It's more Hazard, Willian, Mahrez, Sanchez, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.