6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Melon

Not something I'd cross out myself, doubt about City and CL, hopefully we're wrong but yeah.
You do not think City will reach semis? I believe they will. I also believe that if Martial goes to PSG, Bayern or Juve he will get more playing time and do better overall. Currently, I do not think that we are better than any of these teams, so if they can find a spot to let Martial play more why cant we. The most painful thing would be to throw in a white towel in the prem early for three seasons in a row under Mou.

Janson

He had probably his worst game in a United shirt but hes still our best outfield player and should play every game. 1 bad performance doesn't take away all of the great ones. However tbh what would you expect when hes getting no quick balls out from the midfield with Fellaini in it. Put Martial in man city's team and he'd be one of the top scorers in the premier league. When we put him 1 on 1 with defenders Martial is devastating, we have to do that more, we have to move the ball quicker, do we have to play more counter attacking to get the best out of the team?
He is our best outfield player? Ok.

Sterling Archer

Why would he stay if he's stagnating? We've all seen young players develop massively under attacking managers who play a modern brand of football and these players have passed him by. The likes of Sane, Sterling, Insigne, Salah have all made huge strides in attacking systems that he'll never be part of as long as Jose is here.
I read a Jose quote about playing Martial centrally in coming seasons if he does stay. I think it is his better position because he just can't cut it as a pure winger. One of his best games this season I can recall was when he and Lukaku played together away at CSKA.

So if the manager is feeling this it could be a bit of reassurance for the player.

Sane, Sterling, Insigne and Salah are fantastic players in their own right, even before moving to their current teams. It's very presumptuous to assume Martial would just automatically improve like them. He didn't really shine in the last European tournament despite having all the support and favorable tactics. Actually he was benched most of the time by Payet, despite his excellent debut season with us.

Lastly, the attacking versus defensive setups is a matter of opinion. Mine is that a top player should adapt to his current managers tactics. And it's not as if Jose's system prevents attacking. Tonight we saw several counter attacks and later on close range intricate passing buildup. Even though it was a newly promoted side, Martial didn't shine. As I said before , part of the issues is his supporting cast but what more conducive setup does he need? Knockhart and Gross had terrific games against the leagues second best defense Tonite (us). And that was even after they sat back . So for me i just don't buy it. It's just an excuse

Edit: link to CSKA highlights

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

I read a Jose quote about playing Martial centrally in coming seasons if he does stay. I think it is his better position because he just can't cut it as a pure winger. One of his best games this season I can recall was when he and Lukaku played together away at CSKA.

So if the manager is feeling this it could be a bit of reassurance for the player.

Sane, Sterling, Insigne and Salah are fantastic players in their own right, even before moving to their current teams. It's very presumptuous to assume Martial would just automatically improve like them. He didn't really shine in the last European tournament despite having all the support and favorable tactics. Actually he was benched most of the time by Payet, despite his excellent debut season with us.

Lastly, the attacking versus defensive setups is a matter of opinion. Mine is that a top player should adapt to his current managers tactics. And it's not as if Jose's system prevents attacking. Tonight we saw several counter attacks and later on close range intricate passing buildup. Even though it was a newly promoted side, Martial didn't shine. As I said before , part of the issues is his supporting cast but what more conducive setup does he need? Knockhart and Gross had terrific games against the leagues second best defense Tonite (us). And that was even after they sat back . So for me i just don't buy it. It's just an excuse

Edit: link to CSKA highlights
How is he going to play him centrally when we all know he barely ever plays with two strikers and Jose's has already bought his own 75 million quid striker?

We hardly have a consistent attacker in the team, even someone with a reputation as big as Sanchez is struggling. The closest you get to consistency in those areas is Lukaku and he's had some stinkers. The truth is despite Martial's superlative talents he needs to develop a lot. He actually needs to learn the game and fully understand his role in the team through set patterns, he isn't going to get that here during Jose's reign.

Give it time, you'll understand one of these days when we get a proper attacking manager. Those players went up a level or two when they starting getting managed by top class attacking managers compared to where they previously were. Insigne for example was a failing talent under Benitez(A poor mans Jose) but now he's arguably the best player at the club. Salah went from a why would Pool sign him player to a should he win a ballon d'or player. Sane was a promising talent, now he's one of the best wide men in the league. Sterling's production, without really improving his fundamental's as they are still poor has improved his production at a ridiculous pace.

Logic dictates that if you play in teams that focus on attack and you're an attacker, you'll do better. The same with defenders who player for ultra defensive manages, they all suddenly turn competent for simple reasons. Attacking football has gone up a level this past decade and it's something Jose just doesn't have. Klopp, Pep, Sarri and Jardim are the best managers for developing attacking talent and it's easy to see why.

What's the point of mentioning how those two Brighton players did? if you watch them week in week out you'd know they are highly inconsistent. What's the point of mentioning the Euro's? Martial played 69 mins in the tournament and lest you forgot Payed had come from a season where he was one of the best players in the prem.

Andersons Dietician

Quelle suprise.
Spanish kid he bought who was the next big thing coming off of a great season. Played 2-3 times then was sent packing. Can’t recall his name. That guy who now plays for Juventus and I’m sure if I think long enough i’ll find more.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Spanish kid he bought who was the next big thing coming off of a great season. Played 2-3 times then was sent packing. Can’t recall his name. That guy who now plays for Juventus and I’m sure if I think long enough i’ll find more.
Take an entire week if you want but you'll quickly realize that much more players who have improved under Mourinho than not. I don't like the man and I want him gone but the truth is the truth. Mourinho with all his issues, can only do so much.

Andersons Dietician

I think he's talking about Cuadrado but this player is inconsistency personnified. One game he is a world beater and another he is fecking terrible. The worst example to use to criticize Jose with
Thought we were discussing precocious talents that Jose didn’t improve. Falls in to the bracket no? He also played Sturbridge wide right and Lukaku to try and fit them in and he also threw Lukaku under the bus for not performing then. So maybe it is all part of his master plan :lol: as Lukaku seems alright now.

kouroux

Thought we were discussing precocious talents that Jose didn’t improve. Falls in to the bracket no? He also played Sturbridge wide right and Lukaku to try and fit them in and he also threw Lukaku under the bus for not performing then. So maybe it is all part of his master plan :lol: as Lukaku seems alright now.
We were but Cuadrado is seen as a precocious talent ? He has always been one dimensional

Andersons Dietician

We were but Cuadrado is seen as a precocious talent ? He has always been one dimensional
At the time he was an extremely talented player who was thought of highly. He has never lived up to it after his spell bar one decent season at Juventus when he looked back to what he was.

What makes this funnier is that 3 of the people listed by the original post didn’t even play as wingers. Eto’o played 2 games maybe out of necessity. Costa winger? Huh?

Last edited:

kouroux

At the time he was an extremely talented player who was thought of highly. He has never lived up to it after his spell bar one decent season at Juventus when he looked back to what he was.

What makes this funnier is that 3 of the people listed by the original post didn’t even play as wingers. Eto’o played 2 games maybe out of necessity. Costa winger? Huh?
So Mourinho cannot be faulted for his lack of development no ?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
As others have said, his movement isn't good enough, but isn't this something that can be worked on? Surely you can improve on it?

Alabaster Codify7

I've made up my mind, cash in this summer.

Good player but not top-class and we can't accommodate him as a squad player if he wants to play every week - he simply isn't good enough to start for us, I'm sorry.

This summer, he'll still have some value - another season of sulking on the bench, and that'll be halved by the following summer.

We can probably get £50million for him this summer, let's do it and use the money for a new LB. Rashford as backup for Sanchez.

Andersons Dietician

So Mourinho cannot be faulted for his lack of development no ?
Someone wrote Jose doesn’t know how to get the best out of wingers. Below that someone wrote a sarcastic reply with Robben, Duff,Costa,Eto’o etc say hi, I followed that up with an equally sarcastic comment of the players that fell by the wayside under him.
Ie. It’s not black and white. Simply responding to a sarcastic comment with a sarcastic comment. Also Cudrado later in life became a WB where he played quite well. Point I was making is that for every successful talent he has brought on there is an equal amount he did not.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
As others have said, his movement isn't good enough, but isn't this something that can be worked on? Surely you can improve on it?
You would think If somebody coached him they could easily improve it. Unless he’s completely thick and ignoring everything he’s taught then I can’t see how he hasn’t improved on it.

He picks the ball up way too deep and central to be dangerous as a wide player.

AndyJ1985

He's one of the most overrated players we've ever had. The less he plays the better he gets on this forum. When he finally does play he rarely shows up.

CA1

Lets hope he's not bluffing about wanting to leave.

We need to get shut of him so we can get a left footer in who can play on the right.

Martial isn't good enough. His footballing intelligence is very poor.

El Jefe

The narrative of people saying they know why Jose wants rid of Martial is the most absurd thing on this forum at present. Jose knows how to spin a story but I'm surprised people are falling for this.

A player that lacks confidence and does not have the trust of the manager will never shine.

Prior to this season or the last, how many would have wanted Salah, Mane, Firminio, Sane, Sterling or Son starting for us? A few but definitely not a majority. What these players have is an attacking system with clearly defined roles aimed at getting the maximum output from them. Now ask yourself does Martial have this?

He is 22 with flaws but if you're looking at what he lacks like Jose seems to then you're looking at it wrong. He has the potential to be as good as any of the players I listed he just needs the right coach and system.

Verminator

The narrative of people saying they know why Jose wants rid of Martial is the most absurd thing on this forum at present. Jose knows how to spin a story but I'm surprised people are falling for this.

A player that lacks confidence and does not have the trust of the manager will never shine.

Prior to this season or the last, how many would have wanted Salah, Mane, Firminio, Sane, Sterling or Son starting for us? A few but definitely not a majority. What these players have is an attacking system with clearly defined roles aimed at getting the maximum output from them. Now ask yourself does Martial have this?

He is 22 with flaws but if you're looking at what he lacks like Jose seems to then you're looking at it wrong. He has the potential to be as good as any of the players I listed he just needs the right coach and system.
You just put a list together, of workaholics.
About as far away from Martial's attitude as you could have got.

spiriticon

I think there comes a time where we have to accept that Martial is maybe not going to be good as we thought he was going to be. Same goes with Rashford.

I don't think he's rubbish, but I don't think he'll reach Ballon D'Or level either.

Mickfoley

Hey Martial. Just feck off and make space for someone who wants to play for the manager and bloody moves off the ball.

Silas

When he plays shit as a winger, he apparently is a striker. When he plays shit as a striker, apparently a winger. Now it's just yet another shit manager he's unlucky to play for. For France it's a shit manager too. He just cannot catch a break.
When has he played shit as a striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.