6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyKills

Hey Martial. Just feck off and make space for someone who wants to play for the manager and bloody moves off the ball.
Judging by last night's performance, and the performances against Arsenal and WBA, noone wants to play for the manager.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
You do not think City will reach semis? I believe they will. I also believe that if Martial goes to PSG, Bayern or Juve he will get more playing time and do better overall. Currently, I do not think that we are better than any of these teams, so if they can find a spot to let Martial play more why cant we. The most painful thing would be to throw in a white towel in the prem early for three seasons in a row under Mou.
I strongly disagree with this.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Someone wrote Jose doesn’t know how to get the best out of wingers. Below that someone wrote a sarcastic reply with Robben, Duff,Costa,Eto’o etc say hi, I followed that up with an equally sarcastic comment of the players that fell by the wayside under him.
Ie. It’s not black and white. Simply responding to a sarcastic comment with a sarcastic comment. Also Cudrado later in life became a WB where he played quite well. Point I was making is that for every successful talent he has brought on there is an equal amount he did not.
Just like most managers then

Member 5225

Anyways my bottom line is if we’re having these passionate debates about a very expensive player due to the perception of his performances, his ability to get into the starting XI, his attitude etc - one has to question whether he really is worth the hassle.

ash_86

Boy needs a lot of coaching. Lot of things needs to come together for him to realize his potential. He needs an attacking manager for a start, someone who believes in him and want him starting every game and a team which could cover for his defensive workrate. How many top teams would be ready to take up these tasks for someone who they're going to pay £50m or so? I could see him going to a smaller team like Lyon or Roma and if he's able to establish himself, he'd get a move to a bigger club. Safest thing to do for us is to sell him with a buy back clause.

XxEpicUnitedxX

he's got a lot of talent, can score and has decent positioning. We wouldn't be saying anything bad had Rashford passed it to him for him to smash it in. I'd be happy if he stays but if he goes I'll understand. but he's an effective player. I mean look at Ronaldo third season 24 games 9 goals, Martial 17 games 9 goals. He just need to be surrounded by better players like everyone else. And for the love of God find an attacking identity they all struggle for. The players need to figure out what the hell are they supposed to do in a certain position up front without even thinking.

kouroux

Boy needs a lot of coaching. Lot of things needs to come together for him to realize his potential. He needs an attacking manager for a start, someone who believes in him and want him starting every game and a team which could cover for his defensive workrate. How many top teams would be ready to take up these tasks for someone who they're going to pay £50m or so? I could see him going to a smaller team like Lyon or Roma and if he's able to establish himself, he'd get a move to a bigger club. Safest thing to do for us is to sell him with a buy back clause.
Why would he accept a buy back clause ?

Litch

he's got a lot of talent, can score and has decent positioning. We wouldn't be saying anything bad had Rashford passed it to him for him to smash it in. I'd be happy if he stays but if he goes I'll understand. but he's an effective player. I mean look at Ronaldo third season 24 games 9 goals, Martial 17 games 9 goals. He just need to be surrounded by better players like everyone else. And for the love of God find an attacking identity they all struggle for. The players need to figure out what the hell are they supposed to do in a certain position up front without even thinking.
Agree....

ash_86

Why would he accept a buy back clause ?
Cause he knows we're one of the best clubs around and he's loved by fans. Our situation may be totally different two or three years later with a new manager. Nothing to lose for him actually.

kouroux

Cause he knows we're one of the best clubs around and he's loved by fans. Our situation may be totally different two or three years later with a new manager. Nothing to lose for him actually.
Well imagine his new club is against it because they will wanna keep him for a long time. I don't see him nor his possible being interested in a buy back

ash_86

Well imagine his new club is against it because they will wanna keep him for a long time. I don't see him nor his possible being interested in a buy back
If we're selling for anything less than £50m , i believe we will insist on the clause being there. Whoever is ready to take the deal can do it and once they have, they don't have much choice if they go down that road. Other option would be the first option to buy.

kouroux

If we're selling for anything less than £50m , i believe we will insist on the clause being there. Whoever is ready to take the deal can do it and once they have, they don't have much choice if they go down that road. Other option would be the first option to buy.
I still don't see it. Martial will wanna forget about the club, seeing as he will the world cup, he could be feel very at the entire institution and not just Mourinho.
Of course we are speculating but if he is sold, we'll have to forget about him.

ash_86

Even if he went to a proper attacking team and get coached the hell out by a good attack minded coach, i couldn't see him getting any better than someone like Hazard. His touch, dribbling and shooting aren't better than Hazard's and Hazard himself hasn't won a Ballon d'Or himself or come close to it yet. If we're to compare him to some of our greats, Ronaldo won Ballon d'Or at 23 and Martial is already 22. I just don't see the drive, focus, application to become great from Martial. Any small incident like his number being taken away or personal problems seems to affect his game tremendously.

Andersons Dietician

It is an intresting situation. Reports were Jose wanted rid of him last season and was more than willing to swap him for Peresic but the board told him no they have faith in Martial and reports are similar this year that people within the club have faith in him and don’t want to lose him.

On SS this morning a journalist who covered Chelsea was saying that this situation and everything that is being reported is very similar to the noises when KDB was let go. Questioned his workrate, his attitude all the things we are hearing now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Even if he went to a proper attacking team and get coached the hell out by a good attack minded coach, i couldn't see him getting any better than someone like Hazard. His touch, dribbling and shooting aren't better than Hazard's and Hazard himself hasn't won a Ballon d'Or himself or come close to it yet. If we're to compare him to some of our greats, Ronaldo won Ballon d'Or at 23 and Martial is already 22. I just don't see the drive, focus, application to become great from Martial. Any small incident like his number being taken away or personal problems seems to affect his game tremendously.
Is this like a ballon d'or or bust situation? Who gives a feck if he doesn't win a ballon d'or. Hazard is a terrific and undoubtedly a world class player (inconsistent in his seasons though). Would be amazing if Martial got to that level at United (unlikely), but I could see him getting there somewhere else. Not a bad thing at all to be at that level.

ash_86

Is this like a ballon d'or or bust situation? Who gives a feck if he doesn't win a ballon d'or. Hazard is a terrific and undoubtedly a world class player (inconsistent in his seasons though). Would be amazing if Martial got to that level at United (unlikely), but I could see him getting there somewhere else. Not a bad thing at all to be at that level.
Even for that to happen the stars has to align for Martial to get a coach that believes him. Hazard didn't have an attacking coach at Chelsea and he still could make the impact for his team. Now, thats true talent.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Even for that to happen the stars has to align for Martial to get a coach that believes him. Hazard didn't have an attacking coach at Chelsea and he still could make the impact for his team. Now, thats true talent.
Hazard didn't change position, he played 5 seasons and +150 games under Garcia at Lille. You are comparing two players in two totally different situations.

ash_86

Hazard didn't change position, he played 5 seasons and +150 games under Garcia at Lille. You are comparing two players in two totally different situations.
Martial had a season and a half to make LW his own under Mourinho and a season before that with LVG to acclimatize in the league. Lets not re write history based on last 15-20 games

JPRouve

Scout
Martial had a season and a half to make LW his own under Mourinho and a season before that with LVG to acclimatize in the league. Lets not re write history based on last 15-20 games
Hazard has had is entire academy career and 6 professional seasons when he reached 22 years old, if you don't see the difference than there is nothing I can do for you. Also Hazard is after Benzema and Henry, the most talented young player that we have seen in France. Martial is really talented but he isn't Hazard, so using him as benchmark is far from clever particularly when you consider that Hazard was a very premature talent, you can't extrapolate his milestones. And again Martial has been developed as a striker, he started to play wide fairly late and it wasn't as a winger and definitely not as a creator.

Rasfene

Martial needs to play at midfield. Left midfield. He has the natural ability to dribble and also makes rapid runs to the box from midfield.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Hazard has had is entire academy career and 6 professional seasons when he reached 22 years old, if you don't see the difference than there is nothing I can do for you. Also Hazard is after Benzema and Henry, the most talented young player that we have seen in France. Martial is really talented but he isn't Hazard, so using him as benchmark is far from clever particularly when you consider that Hazard was a very premature talent, you can't extrapolate his milestones. And again Martial has been developed as a striker, he started to play wide fairly late and it wasn't as a winger and definitely not as a creator.
I agree with everything you've said here, which makes this idea that 'Martial must remain at United' all the more baffling.

Martial is a player that can be a world class player in his prime, he is not someone that is one of the worlds best in his early twenties.

If we had Mbappe instead of Martial, I would absolutely agree that he must remain. But Martial is very much replaceable. Of course it is best if he stays, but if he wants to leave and we get in a good replacement then it's the best for both parties.

JPRouve

Scout
I agree with everything you've said here, which makes this idea that 'Martial must remain at United' all the more baffling.

Martial is a player that can be a world class player in his prime, he is not someone that is one of the worlds best in his early twenties.

If we had Mbappe instead of Martial, I would absolutely agree that he must remain. But Martial is very much replaceable. Of course it is best if he stays, but if he wants to leave and we get in a good replacement then it's the best for both parties.
https://www.redcafe.net/javascript:

Yeah but that's a stupid point, every player is replaceable at the exception of Messi and Ronaldo, not even De Gea is irreplaceable. Also Mbappé has been put in a position to succeed at Monaco and he was less impressive with PSG, still good but less impressive.

In general, I will never advocate that any player should stay at all costs because a single player whoever he is, isn't superior to a well oiled team, you can always replace an individual by a collective. That being said when you have a talented player, you do everything to exploit his talent, to help him fulfill it and you don't put stupid hurdles on his way.
We have Martial, we don't need to sell him, we don't need to impede him and we don't have a better performer on the left. The last point is the most important, our best performers on the left this season have been the rotation Martial/Rashford and that's where things become ridiculous, some are acting as if the other option was Ronaldo, Hazard or prime Ribéry. It's a below average Alexis Sanchez.
So if you want to get rid of Martial, be my guest but lets not pretend that he has been this season the best performer on the left alongside Rashford and that they are both lambasted by people who apparently haven't realized that the manager's darling was even worse than them.

That idea isn't limited to Martial, it's true for all the players in our team.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yeah but that's a stupid point, every player is replaceable at the exception of Messi and Ronaldo, not even De Gea is irreplaceable. Also Mbappé has been put in a position to succeed at Monaco and he was less impressive with PSG, still good but less impressive.

In general, I will never advocate that any player should stay at all costs because a single player whoever he is, isn't superior to a well oiled team, you can always replace an individual by a collective. That being said when you have a talented player, you do everything to exploit his talent, to help him fulfill it and you don't put stupid hurdles on his way.
We have Martial, we don't need to sell him, we don't need to impede him and we don't have a better performer on the left. The last point is the most important, our best performers on the left this season have been the rotation Martial/Rashford and that's where things become ridiculous, some are acting as if the other option was Ronaldo, Hazard or prime Ribéry. It's a below average Alexis Sanchez.
So if you want to get rid of Martial, be my guest but lets not pretend that he has been this season the best performer on the left alongside Rashford and that they are both lambasted by people who apparently haven't realized that the manager's darling was even worse than them.

That idea isn't limited to Martial, it's true for all the players in our team.
I disagree, there is a clear difference in value between De Gea and Martial to the team. De Gea is top 3 in his position, any goalkeeper we get will be a downgrade and so not a proper replacement.

There is a huge list of players better than Martial, and that changes the situation completely. Forget replacing, if he is stubborn for a move we can upgrade on him and make our team better.

Most people would swap Lukaku for Kane, Lukaku is not only replaceable but can be upgraded on. The same can be said for Martial who still has plenty to prove.

JPRouve

Scout
I disagree, there is a clear difference in value between De Gea and Martial to the team. De Gea is top 3 in his position, any goalkeeper we get will be a downgrade and so not a proper replacement.

There is a huge list of players better than Martial, and that changes the situation completely. Forget replacing, if he is stubborn for a move we can upgrade on him and make our team better.

Most people would swap Lukaku for Kane, Lukaku is not only replaceable but can be upgraded on. The same can be said for Martial who still has plenty to prove.
You are arguing alone here, this has nothing to do with my post.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You are arguing alone here, this has nothing to do with my post.
It had nothing to do with your original post but you replied so I thought you were engaging the topic I brought up :D

I agree with your general point, it would be ideal if Martial can stay and become a top player here.

Andersons Dietician

Funnily enough their stats this season, goals, assists, big chances created are really close. I’d wager Martial has done that in a lot less minutes. Impact through out a game is obviously something stats can’t measure but i’d Concede there Hazard has Martial beaten but then he is playing in a more free system for him.

ash_86

Funnily enough their stats this season, goals, assists, big chances created are really close. I’d wager Martial has done that in a lot less minutes. Impact through out a game is obviously something stats can’t measure but i’d Concede there Hazard has Martial beaten but then he is playing in a more free system for him.
I suspect it may be because of the times he was bought in through substitutions that elevates his stats. Anyway, Chelsea are quite poor this season

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I suspect it may be because of the times he was bought in through substitutions that elevates his stats. Anyway, Chelsea are quite poor this season
Your suspicion is confirmed. Martial's 8 goals and assists from the bench have come in 88 minutes of game time.

Martial when he starts games has average output for an attacker, the output of a player still developing and learning his game.

ash_86

Your suspicion is confirmed. Martial's 8 goals and assists from the bench have come in 88 minutes of game time.

Martial when he starts games has average output for an attacker, the output of a player still developing and learning his game.
Thanks for confirming. That sounds right and mostly in the first half of the season when we were putting 4 past teams.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Thanks for confirming. That sounds right and mostly in the first half of the season when we were putting 4 past teams.
Yep, Since Sanchez' arrival he has contributed to 1 goal in about 550 minutes. I've been rather disappointed with him in the 2nd half of the season.

Maybe he doesn't like Sanchez' arrival, maybe he is just going through a dip in form, maybe he is not playing to his level because his head has been turned.

Status
Not open for further replies.