g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm not talking about attacking or defensive managers. I'm merely talking about starting positions and the way Jose wants his wingers to play. He doesn't want his wingers to hug the touchline. He wants them to play in between the lines and link play. To me, that isn't Martial. It's more Hazard, Willian, Mahrez, Sanchez, etc.
I agree, but Hazard got benched by Mourinho in his second season and Sanchez has hardly been any different to Martial or Rashford overall in terms of impact. I think whatever Mourinho wants from his wingers, just isn't the right tactic as they all struggle, every single time.

bosnian_red

Put Sane, Sterling, Salah or Mane in at United... I think they'd all look pretty shit under Mourinho on the wings tbh. He doesn't know how to get the best out of these players.

Member 5225

Put Sane, Sterling, Salah or Mane in at United... I think they'd all look pretty shit under Mourinho on the wings tbh. He doesn't know how to get the best out of these players.
Robben, Duff, Etoo, Di Maria, Ozil, Costa, etc etc etc say hi!

Member 5225

Different times in different teams. Di maria was also at his best under Ancelotti. Same with Eto'o. Robben and Duff were 13 years ago.
Wait, you've just made a massively generalist statement, but are now against massively generalist statements?!

Bwuk

We’ll get rid of Martial and in a few seasons regret it.

Wasn’t great tonight but he’s comfortably our best option off the left.

ti vu

Different times in different teams. Di maria was also at his best under Ancelotti. Same with Eto'o. Robben and Duff were 13 years ago.
Di Maria was at his best as a third midfielder, so in a sense it's ability of him to adapt to demand of the manager/ team tactic. Eto'o too. Robben peaked when he realized he has to work hard in defensive phase too under Heynckes (strange thing but it's what happened). So the point is consistently the same. Players need to tune in with the demand of the manager and the team to achieve. You don't need to be top dog, at your best to be useful and a key member of successful teams.

goin4glory

Nothing is guaranteed with Jose. Honing and seeing a top talent becoming a top player and fulfil his talent should be at the top for many managers except for Jose.

He only wants to keep his reputation intact. Sucks really as he is an excellent manager on his day but is finding out that his management skills are not up to a scratch anymore. Unless he accepts that and improves like he expects his players to do, the club is going to keep buying players and hope some player clicks for us like Salah.

If he keeps Fellaini and sells Martial, you know that the club lost rather than Jose.

We both want the best for the club but have different ideas as to what United to do. Carry on.
Mourinho has won the title at every single club he's ever managed, so he's as close to a guarantee as it gets.

Yes because Mourinho has never improved talented players before. Terry/Lampard/Carvalho/Deco/Drogba/Sneijder/Varane etc

Mourinho wants to win, it should be fairly obvious that the only reputation he cares about is that of a champions, he doesn't give a feck if people like him and if he wants to keep his reputation in tact as you say then he needs to win at United.

In the last 8 weeks he's beaten Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs/City and Arsenal, but sure his management isn't up to scratch anymore.

Good forbid we actually go out and buy players to achieve success, because we all know how badly that's served Madrid and their 12 European cups.

Member 5225

We’ll get rid of Martial and in a few seasons regret it.

Wasn’t great tonight but he’s comfortably our best option off the left.
That's what you want to believe, but what are you actually seeing?

Bwuk

That's what you want to believe, but what are you actually seeing?
That is what I’m seeing. Martial in his first season showed how good he can be. This season we’ve messed him around massively and he’s still got as good stats as our other attackers bar Lukaku.

If Martial left us, he’d go to as good or better a club than us. Neither Rashford/Lingard would.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Our best attacker tonight but I'm still left feeling like I just give up with him now. He's not going to change and I think his style is just all wrong for this team.

God knows what happened to that guy from the first season but the fact he's still not recaptured that form shows he doesn't have the consistency.

It pains me to say it but he just doesn't look like an intelligent player. And that's hard to take because I felt this guy was the next big player for us :(

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
That is what I’m seeing. Martial in his first season showed how good he can be. This season we’ve messed him around massively and he’s still got as good stats as our other attackers bar Lukaku.

If Martial left us, he’d go to as good or better a club than us. Neither Rashford/Lingard would.
I don't care anymore. He couldn't do it for us and that's what matters. To make it here you need to be consistently very good to be good enough. He just isn't. He has the talent but he's so far from a functioning footballer that can be trusted week in week out.

Bwuk

I don't care anymore. He couldn't do it for us and that's what matters. To make it here you need to be consistently very good to be good enough. He just isn't. He has the talent but he's so far from a functioning footballer that can be trusted week in week out.
How many players can’t do it for us?

Pogba, Martial, di Maria, Mkhi, Sanchez this far, etc.

You begin to wonder when it’s not just the players fault.

Deawin

I don't get how people can possibly blame Mourinho every time their favorite young player doesn't perform. When he is not starting Martial/Rash, it's an outrage.
When he do start with any of em, its somehow still his fault if they don't perform.

Meanwhile, his shitty manager style has led us to a 2nd place, fa final and we've beaten all the top clubs in the league.

There is not a single team among top 5 big clubs in the world that would start him right now.

Martial is obviously a huge talent. But he needs to take his chance when it's given. Like any other player, 23 or 33, age doesn't matter in a club this big. You got to perform.

Devil may care

He was the better of the front 3 but still poor, he tried to keep the width most of the time but when he got the ball he didn't drive at their defense.

Ban

But I guess there were some players he got the best out of? I mean we can move goalposts to prove that there were none but should we? It's a constant theme here, I wonder how he won the titles he won, without having players playing at their best.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Im really sad to say this, and silly as it may be, but I rather we loan him out for a season than sell him. It clearly isn't working out right now and at his age he needs consistent game time, something we can't give him. I really hope we don't sell him, and that he can go on loan to Bournemouth or something and prove himself to José as a consistent goalscorer. Sanchez isn't young and Rashford isn't a guaranteed successor neither on that left flank so it would be stupid silly to sell him now.

haram

Im really sad to say this, and silly as it may be, but I rather we loan him out for a season than sell him. It clearly isn't working out right now and at his age he needs consistent game time, something we can't give him. I really hope we don't sell him, and that he can go on loan to Bournemouth or something and prove himself to José as a consistent goalscorer. Sanchez isn't young and Rashford isn't a guaranteed successor neither on that left flank so it would be stupid silly to sell him now.
I was going to say why would he go to Bournemouth but then I see it says you support them :lol:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I was going to say why would he go to Bournemouth but then I see it says you support them :lol:
:lol: Well, Guaranteed game time is the big one. And they play good football is the other one. Mid-table in PL isn't all that bad. Would prefer a loan like that instead of a big club.

Bojan11

He stands still.

How does he expect to score if he doesn’t run without the ball and get on the end of things?

bosnian_red

But I guess there were some players he got the best out of? I mean we can move goalposts to prove that there were none but should we? It's a constant theme here, I wonder how he won the titles he won, without having players playing at their best.
Of course he has. Just dont think it's ever been the wingers/wide players unless you go back to his first Chelsea side 14 years ago.

haram

Of course he has. Just dont think it's ever been the wingers/wide players unless you go back to his first Chelsea side 14 years ago.
Hazard did win player of the year under Mourinho. You cant dismiss Willian either.

Micky Targaryen

Why do people always come up with sweeping statements like, "We are letting Martial leave and we are going to regret it" ??

If we replace him adequately and I can assure you that Martial is very replaceable, why are we going to regret it? Is he the next Messi? Is he another one in a generation player? What am I missing here? :confused:

Sterling Archer

Why do people always come up with sweeping statements like, "We are letting Martial leave and we are going to regret it" ??

If we replace him adequately and I can assure you that Martial is very replaceable, why are we going to regret it? Is he the next Messi? Is he another one in a generation player? What am I missing here? :confused:
It's also unfortunate that the possibility he is patient, stays with us and develps into an irreplaceable starter and great player in general in 2 or 3 years is seemingly out of the question.

Is it just a generational thing now that any half decent youngster in the team needs to either play every game or leave? Is there no in between anymore. Even a loan wouldn't be horrible for all parties.

Sylar

He'll generally beat a man yes, but then loses it trying to beat the next one. It's super frustrating.
It is but I think the position he starts with is frustrating too. Whether that's down to him or the manager / set up is another thing

For me he plays too deep/ too far from goal. If he's dropping deep because nobody can find him then we need better supply
If he's dropping deep because that's what he's told, then he won't flourish
If he's dropping deep on his own, he needs better coaching

For me he's not a winger but it seems like that's where he's played even it's part of a front three.

Would love to see a training session to see if it's part of the plan or if players execution and listening skills are poor

Deleted member 101472

Came to the conclusion that he's just never going to live up to the hype. Don't think he's done enough overall in his time at united to make anyone think we'll even come close to having to cough up the extra cash should he win a ballon d'or. Seems like an either bad/non existent attitude, and almost never runs in behind. frustrating player with undoubted talent, time to cash in IMO.

zenith

He reminds me of a young Ronaldo so very much, especially in terms of his development. Incredible talent but very frustrating, very inconsistent. I honestly hope Jose persists with him and he stays with us, cause there is crazy potential there and nobody can honestly doubt that

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Good thing that you can assure us, O great football expert.

PepsiCola

Needs a different coach to get the best out of him.

Despite all the lip service, Mourinho is not great at nurturing talent.

bosnian_red

I'm kinda in the boat where we'll view it like a regret because I think he'll turn into a world class player but I dont think he'll ever reach that stage at United

Loublaze

ATLien
Needs a different coach to get the best out of him.

Despite all the lip service, Mourinho is not great at nurturing talent.
True. Martial should at least be as productive as Sterling is or close. He's a year younger but more naturally talented IMO

Water Melon

Martial will most probably be sold come sumner and do better than this season.

Kostur

海尔的老板
When he plays shit as a winger, he apparently is a striker. When he plays shit as a striker, apparently a winger. Now it's just yet another shit manager he's unlucky to play for. For France it's a shit manager too. He just cannot catch a break.

Water Melon

When he plays shit as a winger, he apparently is a striker. When he plays shit as a striker, apparently a winger. Now it's just yet another shit manager he's unlucky to play for. For France it's a shit manager too. He just cannot catch a break.
He has not played enough with us this season to be called up to play for French NT. I am ready to bet that if Martial leaves this summer he will have a more successful season than the current one, whereas Mourinho will not win the Prem next season. Moreover, I am sure that the difference in points between us and the winner of the Prem will be 10 points minimum. The loser of the bet fecks off from the caf forever.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He has not played enough with us this season to be called up to play for French NT. I am ready to bet that if Martial leaves this summer he will have a more successful season than the current one, whereas Mourinho will not win the Prem next season. Moreover, I am sure that the difference in points between us and the winner of the Prem will be 10 points minimum. The loser of the bet fecks off from the caf forever.
When he's played for us he was still displaced in the French NT, it was claimed then (and still is) that Deschamps is an idiot. I'll be sad if he leaves to be fair, if he leaves to PSG or Juve it won't be hard to have a more successful season though so this bet, with all due respect, is pretty shitty one, which is also not solely down to Martial playing or not (in both cases, him winning something with a different team or us winning the league). I'm afraid that at the moment Mourinho isn't Martial's biggest problem.

Water Melon

When he's played for us he was still displaced in the French NT, it was claimed then (and still is) that Deschamps is an idiot. I'll be sad if he leaves to be fair, if he leaves to PSG or Juve it won't be hard to have a more successful season though so this bet, with all due respect, is pretty shitty one, which is also not solely down to Martial playing or not (in both cases, him winning something with a different team or us winning the league). I'm afraid that at the moment Mourinho isn't Martial's biggest problem.
Could be true mate, but I am sure we are suffering overall as a team. As I said above, I am not really optimistic about next season, and the noisy neighbours will probably do better in CL than they did this time around. I won't be surprised if Jose falls out with half of the squad.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Could be true mate, but I am sure we are suffering overall as a team. As I said above, I am not really optimistic about next season, and the noisy neighbours will probably do better in CL than they did this time around. I won't be surprised if Jose falls out with half of the squad.
Not something I'd cross out myself, doubt about City and CL, hopefully we're wrong but yeah.

SpyLuke10

He had probably his worst game in a United shirt but hes still our best outfield player and should play every game. 1 bad performance doesn't take away all of the great ones. However tbh what would you expect when hes getting no quick balls out from the midfield with Fellaini in it. Put Martial in man city's team and he'd be one of the top scorers in the premier league. When we put him 1 on 1 with defenders Martial is devastating, we have to do that more, we have to move the ball quicker, do we have to play more counter attacking to get the best out of the team?

RooneyLegend

It's also unfortunate that the possibility he is patient, stays with us and develps into an irreplaceable starter and great player in general in 2 or 3 years is seemingly out of the question.

Is it just a generational thing now that any half decent youngster in the team needs to either play every game or leave? Is there no in between anymore. Even a loan wouldn't be horrible for all parties.
Why would he stay if he's stagnating? We've all seen young players develop massively under attacking managers who play a modern brand of football and these players have passed him by. The likes of Sane, Sterling, Insigne, Salah have all made huge strides in attacking systems that he'll never be part of as long as Jose is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.