g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home&Away

Was it Giggs or van Gaal who identified him and brought him to the club? So glad we have one of France's young and biggest talents at the club ourselves (not counting Pogba)
LVG but giggs scouted him. I'm a fan of him to be fair - but if you consider the fact his first season strikers playing 352 with the likes of Falcao, RVP, Rooney doesn't make sense at all & he ended the season with forwards like martial & Rashford (strikers with pace, holding width when nessecary & partnership type forwards) ; José should and probably will revert back to 352 so that Martial Rashford and Lukaku can form some of the deadliest striking partnerships in Europe.

Solo Toure

Was hoping he would come on earlier, possibly subbed on for Rashford rather than Lingard. But he still did well and got his customary goal from the bench.

Jose's man management this season is going well so far.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Was it Giggs or van Gaal who identified him and brought him to the club? So glad we have one of France's young and biggest talents at the club ourselves (not counting Pogba)
Probably a combined decision but Giggs said he scouted him.
Spurs and Chelsea tried to sign him that summer.

The White Pele

I still think he is potentially our best player. His ability to get past players in tight situations as if they aren't even there must be frightening for opposing teams.

Womp

idiot
Looked good when he came on, he doesn't seem to play with the same intensity when he starts though for some reason. I'd still expect him to start the next game.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The way he got past Martina and Baines (i think) leading up to the pen was superb.

Great pen too!
Yep sublime piece of skill, shame for the handball as I have no doubt he'd of scored which would have been a beautiful individual goal

SirAF

Ageist
I'm pretty sure he was a "club signing" and Woodward made the final call.

Should definitely be our penalty taker!

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I still think he is potentially our best player. His ability to get past players in tight situations as if they aren't even there must be frightening for opposing teams.
I agree that he's our best player. Nothing like our most consistent though.

He's as talented as they come but he has far too many average games when he starts, considering how damn talented he is.

criticalanalysis

Fantastic cameo....but he should have buried the chance before the handball as it was a loose touch to allow it to run away from him in first place.

Still good to see him get a goal. We need him big time this season.

Rojofiam

This guy...I know Mbappe and Dembele are the currently most hyped youngsters, but I honestly feel that Anthony is right up there with them.

If he becomes our first choice LW in the future (Which he definitely should) and Lukaku is still here a couple years from now (likely) then it will give Jose a headache on how to fit both of them + Rashford in the same side. Will be interesting to see what happens, but it will break my heart if any of them fail to fulfill their potential.

hn4manunited

If he can just bring that swagger and intensity to starting a game! He's two completely different player coming off the bench as compared to starting a game.

Absolutely an amazing talent!

Sylar

Martial is ice cold in front of goal. One of the most composed we have.

I'm fine with him and Rashford splitting the games if it means they get to start weekly, but at some point Jose will have to decide on one as a permanent fixture and Martial should be that man if he plays to his full ability. He's Robben, Ribery, Hazard level talent.
TBH, whilst I agree Martial is better, Jose probably doesnt have to make that decision for a season or two and can keep doing what hes doing (until of course one totally flops or one becomes a super hit a when starting and keeps a run going).

poacher

He's probably our best finisher. I like Rashford starting games and stretching and tiring defenders with his speed and athleticism and I like Martial coming on in the second half and running at the tired defenders. I think Mourinho has got it spot on with his tactical use of the two players my only request is he gives Martial a few more minutes to do his magic. I think he deserves 30 minutes per game rather than the 5 he got today.

Lastly I think the club should look to offer him a contract extension. We should lock down such a talent.

Reactions: Damien

ricky-romeo

loved that penalty. wished Lukaku got the ice and coolness of martial with spot kicks.

obviously the trick is to make sure the keeper move first. easier said than done but martial surely makes it look so easy.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lukaku was celebrating Martial's goal even before Martial kicked the ball. He is probably best at taking penalties at ManUtd.

Fraud

I'm fine with him and Rashford splitting the games if it means they get to start weekly, but at some point Jose will have to decide on one as a permanent fixture and Martial should be that man if he plays to his full ability. He's Robben, Ribery, Hazard level talent.
Lel, not even close.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Looked good when he came on, he doesn't seem to play with the same intensity when he starts though for some reason. I'd still expect him to start the next game.
I believe it's a stamina issue. Outside of the rare occasions (semi-final of FA cup for example), he tends to fade out in the latter part of the games. When you're only give 10-30 minutes like he has, he can go all out. As a starter, he is going to pace himself and only use a lot of energy a few (usually wrong) times. I'm a big Martial fan, so I'd love for him to start, but I think it's better to just keep things balanced between him and Rashford for now. I feel like Rashford has been started too much compared to Martial, so Martial should get a few more runs as a starter and to keep it balanced for the rest of the season unless one improved dramatically over the other.

Shimo

If he can just bring that swagger and intensity to starting a game! He's two completely different player coming off the bench as compared to starting a game.

Absolutely an amazing talent!
The problem with the one start he has had so far is we focused so much of our game down the right, that he didn't really have a chance to make an impact. When he is on the pitch, we should be focusing on getting him in on the ball as much as possible but, for some reason we don't usually try to get him or Rashford on the ball enough at the start of a lot of games.

Arka_BleedingRed

="Sayros, post: 21500473, member: 100065"]I believe it's a stamina issue. Outside of the rare occasions (semi-final of FA cup for example), he tends to fade out in the latter part of the games. When you're only give 10-30 minutes like he has, he can go all out. As a starter, he is going to pace himself and only use a lot of energy a few (usually wrong) times. I'm a big Martial fan, so I'd love for him to start, but I think it's better to just keep things balanced between him and Rashford for now. I feel like Rashford has been started too much compared to Martial, so Martial should get a few more runs as a starter and to keep it balanced for the rest of the season unless one improved dramatically over the other.
That's a issue, though! You can feel Jose trusts Rashford more than Martial, as evidenced many times last season and even in the current. When the need of the hour is a game changer, he doesn't seem to deploy Martial, who is perhaps the best game changer in our team.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That's a issue, though! You can feel Jose trusts Rashford more than Martial, as evidenced many times last season and even in the current. When the need of the hour is a game changer, he doesn't seem to deploy Martial, who is perhaps the best game changer in our team.
I feel he has actually, where Martial scored in each appearance he had between 10-30 minutes of appearance. I think this works out for him, and when Martial last started it was Rashford who came off the bench and scored. I'm not sure either one is quite ready to be a productive starter over a full season, but at least Martial has shown he's capable of it in 2015-16, the jury is still out on Rashford. That being said, I just think they both fire each other up by coming off the bench for one another. Martial needs more starts and I expect that will improve Rashford's recent performances.

chb23

This guy needs to have special privileges and start every game. At least a 5 game run, is that too much to ask for? Oh, I think rashford should also start on the other side.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Deserves to start next 5 games. It will either give us a regular left winger or we will know we need to continue with rashford.

Ashley R1+O

I love that he comes on against tired legs, punches the overtime clock and collects time and a half and goes home. He must be loving life at the moment!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
loved that penalty. wished Lukaku got the ice and coolness of martial with spot kicks.

obviously the trick is to make sure the keeper move first. easier said than done but martial surely makes it look so easy.
I think he has a brilliant eye and reaction. He can change directions according to the defender's movement, he also did that when he saw Schneiderlin was tackling, and of course with the penalty. Also in a 1v1 situation, he seems to spot the goalkeepers movement and then places the ball

InfiniteBoredom

Lel, not even close.
Not even close? At 21 Ribery and Hazard were both still playing in France, Robben was the best of the bunch coming 2nd in the PFA Young Player of The Year but scored a total of 7 goals, which Martial will comfortably beat this season.

He will need to work hard to reach that consistency that the other 3 achieved (Hazard less so, his Chelsea career has alternated between brilliance and mediocrity on a season-by-season basis), but his natural ability is unquestionably comparable to theirs.

TBH, whilst I agree Martial is better, Jose probably doesnt have to make that decision for a season or two and can keep doing what hes doing (until of course one totally flops or one becomes a super hit a when starting and keeps a run going).
I think it'd come sooner than we like. At the end of this season Martial will have only 2 years remaining on his current deal and if he had an excellent season but still found himself not cementing a starting spot then his head can be swayed. It's already tough enough this year since he'd want to play as much as possible to get a spot in the NT squad for Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.