Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

admrf

Was decent in holding up and creating chances, also moved to the nice position but did not get the pass. Could have been better as he could have scored 2 at least.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Involved in everything today great hold up build up and all round play. Just such a shame he didn’t finish one of his chances today as there would then be nothing for the haters to pile in on.

If he did that week in week out and brought everyone else into the goals I’d be happy.

Red_toad

Hisbtouches and turning when dropping deep was world class today. Phenomenal performance
Nope he should have scored 2 to get anywhere near phenomenal. He had some good hold up play and missed 2 very good chances, that’s not a great performance in my book.

KennyBurner

Can we swap you for a random member from bluemoon?
Keep up the good fight. These posters need to respect martial and the quality he brings to this team.

Leeds couldn't mark him today and that made the difference. When we need marial to score he will. Showed last season that he can and is simply going through a drought.

cyberman

Nope he should have scored 2 to get anywhere near phenomenal. He had some good hold up play and missed 2 very good chances, that’s not a great performance in my book.
He has like 3 assists! Leeds couldnt get the ball off him, he brought everybody around him into play

Shark

@NotShark
I think he looked fine today in his overall play, really looked up for it. Pity about the finishing at the moment but you'd think it won't last too much longer.

Frank White

Fantastic game at nearly everything bar finishing hopefully finds his shooting boots and we'll have are Tony back from last year.

edcunited1878

He has never been a finisher type finisher - he is a false 9, a creator for the players around him.

He plays similar to how Messi played at Barcelona during Pep's time (not in terms of quality but the style) - he starts deep, get the ball to his feet and he tricks the players by either dribbling on to them, passing to other players, dribbling a bit more or shooting.

You have to set Martial much more correctly though.

He is a useful player to have in the squad.

Replace Cavani for the main poacher/target man type goal scorer, then we have two types of goal scorers plus Greenwood and Rashford aswell.
He's an essential starting player because if Bruno is marked like he was today, Martial is the only other player who can link up and control the tempo. He has a better eye for a pass than Rashford or Greenwood. Bruno then gets to play off of him in an attacking role near the box.

Cavani is the pure goal scorer obviously, but the natural service comes from Bruno. Rashford isn't a good provider of service and when Cavani is leading your line, everything goes through him. Need to feed him as much as you can.

Martial will have a better conversion rate throughout the season if he continues his overall play like today. The way he slows the game down and then speeds it up with the right pass is so important.

lex talionis

Add proper finishing and he’s right where he needs to be. But his finishing must be improved.

kiristao

He should.

Not sure where at least comes from, though. What other chances were there
That is why I said atleast as he should have scored both those. Let's not get into a Grammer discussion of what atleast means considering we are both saying that he should have scored those 2 goals.

Red_toad

He has like 3 assists! Leeds couldnt get the ball off him, he brought everybody around him into play
He‘s a lead the line striker and had 2 chances he should have put away. A phenomenal striking performance isn’t one where you fail to score and miss the chances provided for you. He was good, but certainly not phenomenal.

Kaos

He was very good but his finishing is still no where to be seen.

Ole should have him drilling one on ones with the keeper in training for most the time.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Martial makes our attack tick.

That's the biggest compliment I can give him. He is our Firmino.

Vaibhav Raj

Great with his hold up play, shoulder drops and running. Poor with his passing when he dropped deep and poor with his finishing.

Godfather

He‘s a lead the line striker and had 2 chances he should have put away. A phenomenal striking performance isn’t one where you fail to score and miss the chances provided for you. He was good, but certainly not phenomenal.
He was more of a false 9 today than anything else. Got the ball from deep and brought everyone else into play. Something Firminho is hailed for week in week out. Yes he should have scored but so what

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Martial makes our attack tick.

That's the biggest compliment I can give him. He is our Firmino.
This.

Excellent until it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net. He arguably had the best chances to, except from the penalty.

I fear for him that Ole will look at upgrading.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I thought he had a reasonable game again. Held ball up well and looked lively. However there's no denying his confidence is still shot. Got to score those 2 chances he got.

SinNombre

This.

Excellent until it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net. He arguably had the best chances to, except from the penalty.

Ole will only replace him if he gets Haaland.

If Martial stays fit, I expect him to get 25G+A over all competitions by end of season. That's not a bad haul.

UncleBob

This.

If he can't improve on last season then we'll need to upgrade, it's hardly a big issue.
Can still be a key part of our attack if he keeps performing like he did against Sheffield and against Leeds today, pretty much our only forward player with such an ability to create chances for teammates

bondsname

He was composed and clever everywhere except infront of the goal. Can't complain about his performance at all, he was class today, but I hope he finds his shooting boots soon!

Godfather

If he can't improve on last season then we'll need to upgrade, it's hardly a big issue.
Can still be a key part of our attack if he keeps performing like he did against Sheffield and against Leeds today, pretty much our only forward player with such an ability to create chances for teammates
Very much agreed

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He's an essential starting player because if Bruno is marked like he was today, Martial is the only other player who can link up and control the tempo. He has a better eye for a pass than Rashford or Greenwood. Bruno then gets to play off of him in an attacking role near the box.

Cavani is the pure goal scorer obviously, but the natural service comes from Bruno. Rashford isn't a good provider of service and when Cavani is leading your line, everything goes through him. Need to feed him as much as you can.

Martial will have a better conversion rate throughout the season if he continues his overall play like today. The way he slows the game down and then speeds it up with the right pass is so important.
Yeah I agree.

There's no point in buying 4 Haaland's. Martial's may not be the most clinical but he is the most creative from a central striker position, even if we buy a striker like Haaland that wont change.

We have played with Rashford and Greenwood in partnership and looked liked that creativity for those 2 has struggled aswell without Martial at times aswell.

I personally think in the modern game to not have a CF in your team like Cavani or maybe even Jota at Liverpool for example - but be able to change it up when needed and play the False 9 formation to suit your inverted forwards better with a forward like Martial or Firmino is a bit foolish.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Thought he was brilliant. Shame about the misses but he's normally a good finisher so I am sure it's just a phase.

Dante

Average bang
In a game with a acres of space, his movement was good, his passing was okay and his finishing was poor. I don't think today was a game to start pointing at as proof of his brilliance. It was slightly below par performance, if anything.

He needs a rest to recharge his batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.