g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Injured again apparently.

I think there are two options now:

1. If the club think he's broken beyond repair or he's got some kind of mental block, we should look to get rid. It'll be difficult, though, given his recent injury history and the fact he's only got a year left on his contract. Bet Sevilla are delighted they took him off our hands for six months...

2. If the club think he can be fixed, we should trigger the extra year on his contract (or offer him a one-year extension), buy a new striker and send him for surgery as soon as the season is over. Rashford looks a different player after his op so hopefully they can do the same for Martial. No point doing it if we can't get him to commit beyond 2024 though, as someone else could just pick him up when his contract runs out and get the benefit.
On the salary he's on (£250k) we should not trigger his extension on his contract anyway. He can renegotiate a pay as you play deal at a lower salary like De Gea is currently doing. We shouldn't be dishing out extensions for players that have barely played.

JohnnyKills

We absolutely should have sympathy, it looks at this stage like he's heading for early retirement unless he can drastically change his injury record. That's sad to watch.

I'm in agreement that we need a top striker but there's no reason to blame Martial for his injury problems. Ten Hag has done nothing but praise him but he's a realist and I'm sure his top target this summer will be someone like Kane.
Agree, it's sad.

Honestly, I hope it's not the club's fault. Martial himself said he often played injured under Ole, and you have to wonder whether that's contributed to the problem (if true).

Drizzle

If the club think he can be fixed, we should trigger the extra year on his contract (or offer him a one-year extension), buy a new striker and send him for surgery as soon as the season is over.
Surgery on what? Unless it's a whole body transplant, it's not going to make any difference. The lad's not cut out for it, how much more evidence do we need?

Raven

Not really, not at this point. The two you mentioned are playing great, the one in question here has been shite for his entire United career bar a promising first season and a 6-8 month purple patch once.

This is his 7th season, the jury's out.
Just incredibly biased, he's been great for large parts of his United career but has obviously been patchy. These last 2 or 3 seasons have been incredible for injuries and it's time to let him go but not because he's not good enough.

JohnnyKills

Just incredibly biased, he's been great for large parts of his United career but has obviously been patchy. These last 2 or 3 seasons have been incredible for injuries and it's time to let him go but not because he's not good enough.
Not sure he's been great but he's not been 'shite' either.

The top reds and passion merchants may not like to read it but he was actually pretty decent under Mourinho (that run of form in 2018/19 helped keep him in a job) and he's had two excellent seasons in there too.

2020/21 was the only real shocker. Since then he's basically been injured, which is frustrating but doesn't mean he's been shite.

crossy1686

career ending
He was decent in his first season, looked promising, then he was okay for the following few seasons on the left but he never kicked on and hardly ever tracked back and when he did he would do something daft like give away a penalty. Then he decided he wanted to a CF, so we gave him the number 9, then it turned out he wasn't that good as a CF so we bought Zlatan and he went on strike. He's been hit and miss since then, but 80% miss, 20% hit.

JohnnyKills

He was decent in his first season, looked promising, then he was okay for the following few seasons on the left but he never kicked on and hardly ever tracked back and when he did he would do something daft like give away a penalty. Then he decided he wanted to a CF, so we gave him the number 9, then it turned out he wasn't that good as a CF so we bought Zlatan and he went on strike. He's been hit and miss since then, but 80% miss, 20% hit.
Zlatan joined after his first season, and after that he continued playing regularly and contributing goals and assists.

But on you go son, don't let me stop you.

Raven

The top reds and passion merchants may not like to read it but he was actually pretty decent under Mourinho (that run of form in 2018/19 helped keep him in a job) and he's had two excellent seasons in there too.

2020/21 was the only real shocker. Since then he's basically been injured, which is frustrating but doesn't mean he's been shite.
I'd argue he has been great for large parts, not world class but very important to us. But you're right, he's definitely not been shite.

JohnnyKills

Yes

Raven

Even you're time line is mental, this really isn't a conversation worth having I think.

crossy1686

career ending
Zlatan joined after his first season, and after that he continued playing regularly and contributing goals and assists.

But on you go son, don't let me stop you.
Cavani then, whoever it was.

I'm done mate, he won't be here next season anyway but I'm sure they'll still be some people pining over that half a season behind closed doors he had where he scored a bunch of goals.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
that's good man management, you need to keep all the players on board until the end of the season, what happens then is a different story though
But doesn’t seem to do it with AWB or Maguire or even Sancho when he was out.

croadyman

Agree, it's sad.

Honestly, I hope it's not the club's fault. Martial himself said he often played injured under Ole, and you have to wonder whether that's contributed to the problem (if true).
Have always thought this was the case but too late to be remedied,how on earth are we going to get money for him in the summer

JohnnyKills

Have always thought this was the case but too late to be remedied,how on earth are we going to get money for him in the summer
We're not sadly. Even if someone wanted him, they'd know he'll be available on a free in a year's time.

If we want to protect the asset, the best option is probably to renew him for a year (on a reduced salary if necessary) and do whatever it takes to get him back fit. Maybe (hopefully) an operation will fix it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Shocker every flop we've had most of them had their okayish moment. Even kagawa..doesnt cut it for top 2 aspiring clubs.

Just sell him and move on

croadyman

We're not sadly. Even if someone wanted him, they'd know he'll be available on a free in a year's time.

If we want to protect the asset, the best option is probably to renew him for a year (on a reduced salary if necessary) and do whatever it takes to get him back fit. Maybe (hopefully) an operation will fix it.
Yeah not a bad idea

Red_Heisenberg

I'd argue he has been great for large parts, not world class but very important to us. But you're right, he's definitely not been shite.
Martials fan base really has no limit. Martial great? At United? For large parts? Deary me.

We've had about a combined 10 months of decent football out of him in 7 years.

Get rid of the stench, he's rotten and needs to go.

SATA

Whatever happened to him? He was always fit until this current season and now he’s turning into a combination of Louis Saha and Owen Hargreaves injury wise

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
On the salary he's on (£250k) we should not trigger his extension on his contract anyway. He can renegotiate a pay as you play deal at a lower salary like De Gea is currently doing. We shouldn't be dishing out extensions for players that have barely played.
I am surprised to read his salary is £250k (is that per week or for the rest of the season) because if it is per week, well before he joined Manchester United had it not been revealed that there was to be a salary cap at Old trafford of £200k?

Bondi77

I think it is becoming questionable whether Anthony should be even in this thread as what is there to talk about?
He hardly ever plays!

crossy1686

career ending
I am surprised to read his salary is £250k (is that per week or for the rest of the season) because if it is per week, well before he joined Manchester United had it not been revealed that there was to be a salary cap at Old trafford of £200k?
Per week, he was given a pay rise during the dark days when Joel Glazer described him as his favourite player and compared him to Pele...

HackeyC

I'm never going to blame a player for being injured frequently, but eventually you have to cut your losses. Martial always had talent, but now he's in the camp of unfulfilled potential. We can argue the why, but it doesn't change the fact. Letting him go on a free is better than paying him £2m per goal....

We need an rvn

I'm never going to blame a player for being injured frequently, but eventually you have to cut your losses. Martial always had talent, but now he's in the camp of unfulfilled potential. We can argue the why, but it doesn't change the fact. Letting him go on a free is better than paying him £2m per goal....
Agree to an extent (aka Van Basten and that ankle that was hacked to pieces) - however there are certain things some players can do to minimise the risk of injuries recurring. Be it diet / slimming down (Tony's a big boned lad) / what car you drive (pretty sure when Giggs kept having ham string injuries he was told to stop driving low sports cars and taking up yoga) / getting the right sleep etc.

For him to be getting this many injuries, I'd question whether he's doing absolutely everything in his power to find ways to stop getting injured - be it via alternative medicine / yoga etc.

Fahad Jawaid

Injuries to key players and suspension and killing us at the moment. The likes of Casemiro (Suspension), Eriksen, Martial and Antony being out is such a killer blow, four of our first team players. they are not even our back up squad players. Hopefully by next weekend we have all players available.

Olecurls99

This season he is 66th percentile for xG, 77th for non penalty xG, 83rd for non xG. 23rd for aerials won, but we already knew he was shite in the air. He makes it up with the rest of his game — he’s 99th percentile in assist.
Wait which one is right? Who's telling porky pies?

criticalanalysis

He was never overplayed under Ole
Depends on your definition of overplayed but according to Martial, he play with injury for Ole and felt he didn't get the backing or support when he was out for longer times. There's an interview you can look at.

Marwood

Depends on your definition of overplayed but according to Martial, he play with injury for Ole and felt he didn't get the backing or support when he was out for longer times. There's an interview you can look at.
He's doing the same now then isn't he?

Starting games,clearly not fit,coming off early and/or being unavailable for the next game.

croadyman

Yeah does feel like his fitness not being managed by us better 2/3 years ago is now why he's seemingly made of weetabix

Status
Not open for further replies.