5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan_mufc

Good to take our time with him. If we can get him fit for the end of the season he could win us 6 points or so, which could be crucial

Pickle85

I swear he's a prime example of a player that gets better the less he plays. He's always injured and, when he's not, he's largely ineffective. He's an utterly pointless player at this stage.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I swear he's a prime example of a player that gets better the less he plays. He's always injured and, when he's not, he's largely ineffective. He's an utterly pointless player at this stage.
Absolute bollock of a post. He's been good for us this season when he's played(which has unfortunately not been as much as we wanted) and we've played exponentially better as a team. If anything the less he plays, the more negativity people like you bring and sell this narrative that he's an absolutely mediocre player.

Pickle85

Absolute bollock of a post. He's been good for us this season when he's played(which has unfortunately not been as much as we wanted) and we've played exponentially better as a team. If anything the less he plays, the more negativity people like you bring and sell this narrative that he's an absolutely mediocre player.
Complete twat of a post as he's really not been. He's a useless waste of a shirt and you Martial FC folk are extremely tiresome.

georgipep

I guess you can both draw your own conclusions from these:

Anthony Martial Scouting Report for Last 365 Days Men's Big 5 Leagues, UCL, UEL | FBref.com

Anthony Martial | Manchester United | xG | Shot Map | Goal stats | Understat.com

His finishing has definitely deteriorated this season but overall his contributions are quite high and I'm sure Ten Hag would love to have him fit.

red_de_pologne

The full quote looks different, the "yeah" was about being cautious with him

Just on Anthony Martial, is there any chance he may play on Sunday, and do you have to be extra cautious with him now because he's been brought back so many times and had setbacks?

"Yeah, but I think, all the time, we had a good plan and until now it [didn’t] always [work well]. But he is on his way back, he is back in training, but we will be cautious, yeah."

Pickle85

I guess you can both draw your own conclusions from these:

Anthony Martial Scouting Report for Last 365 Days Men's Big 5 Leagues, UCL, UEL | FBref.com

Anthony Martial | Manchester United | xG | Shot Map | Goal stats | Understat.com

His finishing has definitely deteriorated this season but overall his contributions are quite high and I'm sure Ten Hag would love to have him fit.
These stats look pretty average and pretty much mirror what he shows on the pitch. His dribbling is no longer much good, he is below average where goals and xG are concerned, doesn't shoot much and is below average as far as key passes go. He doesn't lose possession much and his passing stats are good, mostly because he's not the most adventurous of passers. I'm sure ETH would like him as an option - the more bodies, the better - but I am also sure he won't get a sniff next season.

georgipep

These stats look pretty average and pretty much mirror what he shows on the pitch. His dribbling is no longer much good, he is below average where goals and xG are concerned, doesn't shoot much and is below average as far as key passes go. He doesn't lose possession much and his passing stats are good, mostly because he's not the most adventurous of passers. I'm sure ETH would like him as an option - the more bodies, the better - but I am also sure he won't get a sniff next season.
He is in the 79th percentile for assists, 86th for progressive passes, 87th for passes in the final third, 89th for throughballs. What do you mean he's not the most adventurous of passers?

And on his dribbling? 97th percentile on carries into final third, 87th on carries into the penalty area. What?

Are you sure you understand what you are looking at?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If he can come back off the bench on Sunday, start next Thursday and contribute 6 goals and 3 assists between now and the end of the season we will have had a massive result.

Pickle85

He is in the 79th percentile for assists, 86th for progressive passes, 87th for passes in the final third, 89th for throughballs. What do you mean he's not the most adventurous of passers?

And on his dribbling? 97th percentile on carries into final third, 87th on carries into the penalty area. What?

Are you sure you understand what you are looking at?
Below average for key passes, which are a better gauge of adventurous passing than throughballs, no? Also, the way we play means that by nature he plays a lot of passes in the final third. DOesn't mean they're adventurous. As for dribbling, 46 percentile for successful take on %, 30th for tackled during take on, 36 for miscontrolled. All your 'dribble' stats show is that he can run unopposed with the ball.

georgipep

Below average for key passes, which are a better gauge of adventurous passing than throughballs, no? Also, the way we play means that by nature he plays a lot of passes in the final third. DOesn't mean they're adventurous. As for dribbling, 46 percentile for successful take on %, 30th for tackled during take on, 36 for miscontrolled. All your 'dribble' stats show is that he can run unopposed with the ball.
Honestly, not sure how you can look at these stats:

And say that he is not good at dribbling.

As for passing, would it make you feel more convinced if you look at his stats for the PL only (link and previous screenshots were for top 5 leagues):

Even in key passes he is above average for PL among forwards.

I think that kind of stats profile is pretty amazing, to be honest...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

As for passing, would it make you feel more convinced if you look at his stats for the PL only (link and previous screenshots were for top 5 leagues):

The problem is it's a tiny sample size heavily influenced by some good sub appearances.

If fit, I think Martial would be a massive difference for us. I still don't think he'd be good enough, though he has individual games that obviously are good enough.

georgipep

The problem is it's a tiny sample size heavily influenced by some good sub appearances.

If fit, I think Martial would be a massive difference for us. I still don't think he'd be good enough, though he has individual games that obviously are good enough.
Martial, 2020/21, Premier League:

He has always been great for us. Injuries (and Mourinho) have been the problem.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Reckon AM9 stays fit and we win the Europa. Warthorse's misses will cost us against the bigger teams in the QFs onwards.

bosnian_red

Yeah. Those numbers are meh. Quantity of passes doesn't matter a whole lot, it's what he does with them. Yes we know he links up and holds up well. But he needs more than that. These stats don't tell me injuries are the only problem. His shot creating actions are pretty shit, his his passes in final third, xG, xAG, key passes, passes into the box, are all unspectacular.

Of course, he would improve us massively this season if he were fit. I've always liked him, but there's more than just injuries being the issue for him. His numbers point to a good and nothing more forward. Right now we have basically relegation level output out of that position, so of course that would help...

Member 125398

Does this performance thread have the highest pages per perfomance ratio? What's the cafe record?

georgipep

Yeah. Those numbers are meh. Quantity of passes doesn't matter a whole lot, it's what he does with them. Yes we know he links up and holds up well. But he needs more than that. These stats don't tell me injuries are the only problem. His shot creating actions are pretty shit, his his passes in final third, xG, xAG, key passes, passes into the box, are all unspectacular.

Of course, he would improve us massively this season if he were fit. I've always liked him, but there's more than just injuries being the issue for him. His numbers point to a good and nothing more forward. Right now we have basically relegation level output out of that position, so of course that would help...
You are literally ignoring his goal creating stats here. Not sure why.

Anyways, I think we are in agreement: we need him fit!

bosnian_red

You are literally ignoring his goal creating stats here. Not sure why.

Anyways, I think we are in agreement: we need him fit!
Shot creating action more consistent, goal creating has a lot more variance based on just some clinical finishing or bad goalkeeping.

Pickle85

He is dispossessed more often than not when he tries to take people on. Most of his take on are unsuccessful. His ball carrying has him above most but that doesn't make him a good dribbler. To me, being a good dribbler means being able to take on a player successfully, a metric where he demonstrably falls short. Do you think those ball carrying stats mean that he's a good dribbler, despite the below average takeon success rate?

As for the passing, all you've done there is cherry pick stats to make him look better. He plays pretty safe. I'm not saying he's a bad passer...just an average one.

UnitedRepublic

I prefer a player that can make something out of nothing and create for others than someone that can’t create for others but only score thats all I’m gonna say today.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
It's a shame he doesn't play. Even a 5/10 performance would really help this team.

His dribbling has dropped off massively but he can receive an awkward pass or clearance with a defender on his back, make the ball stick, and pass to another forward.

This skillet is huge with our current lineup. Ronaldo couldn't do it. Rashford can't. Our wingers can't. WW can't. Martial can even though he is slower and less explosive than the young Martial.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Sorry, but if the 20/21 numbers look good, that shows a deeper issue with the numbers, rather than showing that he played well that season. He was awful. Immobile, unmotivated, totally lost dribbling and finishing and general composure/sharpness. Himself said he didn't feel right, rushed back from injury.

He's been much better when fit this season, but still not at the levels he reached in 19/20, or 15/16 or bits of 17/18 (playing LW). He's lost some pace and dribbling. Was a genuine menace. Clinical finishing, good dribbling (many penalties won) and decent passing. Not sure if that player exists after 20/21, and even more after this season's injuries.

PoTMS

The same old excuses being wheeled out. He could score a hattrick on his return, whatever we do, we must not offer him a new contract. His career will peter out into little more than nothing once he leaves United.

Red00012

We are stuck with him there’s no club going to take a chance on him never mind try to match what we are paying him

Steve 007

I always supported AM. I’m done with him now. I hope to be proved wrong but Rashford kicked on he didn’t. I think we’d all agree his potential at 18 has not been met.

croadyman

Did the injury problems start in 19/20 or before that because little unsure on the timeline

united for life

I always supported AM. I’m done with him now. I hope to be proved wrong but Rashford kicked on he didn’t. I think we’d all agree his potential at 18 has not been met.
instability at the club hurt him. But him recurring injuries are the main reason he’ll never reach his potential

OmarUnited4ever

Hopefully he gets fit and contributes to the team in what remains of the season so we can get a decent fee for him in the summer and replace him.

We need a top class striker next season, it's the paramount requirement for the development of the squad

Status
Not open for further replies.