Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Why the feck is he slated?

If we burried all those chances in the first half, that was all because of him starting most of the attack.
People are weird. They've convinced themselves that any striker would have us scoring 5 goals a game therefore they have it for Martial no matter what he does. So dismissive his contribution has become normalize for the sake of driving this currently popular narrative on the CAF.

The Caf is gonna Caf.

Raven

He was decent, I was surprised to see him subbed. Hopefully it was precautionary.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The amount of support Martial continues to get is hilarious. Nani was a much better player for us and had a period of 18 months where he was absolutely world class but he never got this much love.

I hope we let him leave in the summer and get an upgrade. Can't stay fit and even when fit doesn't show any intensity or fight in his game.
The amount of support he gets is because he is still our player. When he is on the field , he is our best forward who can hold the ball.

Worth for an upgrade? Sure, but till then he will get our support. So stop being dramatic and enjoy the win.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think he had a decent game, clearly other players don't trust him but we had a good shape with him in the center. A lot of attacks started with Martial holding ball for a second.

He doesn't work enough off the ball, interesting to see what the new guy brings but I think we look good with Martial.

Edit: if Martial really was injured when the game started, I can't believe our luck that we managed to keep him fit to the day we signed another striker :lol:

Frank White

Sure he did feck all. Do you guys even watch games with your eyes open? How many chances or dangerous situations did we create in the first half? Now go watch them and see who was involved in managing those chances.

This is such a casual take.
MDL out in full force. Which ones in particular just so I have a point of reference.

Roario

No press from him. Looked good in the buildup but no energy from him today.

jem

Look at the trend, it's always the same with him, most average player in the last years. He was the slowest player on the pitch. Stop being so Martial FC.
Martial FC? Another tired trope. He looked no different today than he did pre-Weghorst signing. He needs to buck up his ideas but he helps us keep possession and helps the likes of Rashford to shine. ETH clearly feels the same way.

jem

The amount of support he gets is because he is still our player. When he is on the field , he is our best forward who can hold the ball.

Worth for an upgrade? Sure, but till then he will get our support. So stop being dramatic and enjoy the win.
Beautifully put.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Martial FC? Another tired trope. He looked no different today than he did pre-Weghorst signing. He needs to buck up his ideas but he helps us keep possession and helps the likes of Rashford to shine. ETH clearly feels the same way.
Don't you think we need to replace him? Or is he a player that will take us to win trophies? I doubt it, he's just filling a hole and don't think ETH rates him either.

saik

Well, Nani was our player too and I remember fans giving it to him all the time because he was frustrating even when he was playing well.

There's nothing dramatic here though, just stating what I observed. Martial has had an underwhelming career with us so far. He cannot be relied as the main striker which was evidenced by him being sent on loan last season where he stunk out the place.

Unfortunately, we had too many positions to upgrade last summer so here we are desperately relying on him to stay fit for more than 45mins every game.

jem

Don't you think we need to replace him? Or is he a player that will take us to win trophies? I doubt it, he's just filling a hole and don't think ETH rates him either.
Now you're changing the argument - I just said he needs to up his level, but this nonsensical idea that he's folding up because we've brought in a new striker is moronic, and you know it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well, Nani was our player too and I remember fans giving it to him all the time because he was frustrating even when he was playing well.

There's nothing dramatic here though, just stating what I observed. Martial has had an underwhelming career with us so far. He cannot be relied as the main striker which was evidenced by him being sent on loan last season where he stunk out the place.

Unfortunately, we had too many positions to upgrade last summer so here we are desperately relying on him to stay fit for more than 45mins every game.
Yeah, you chose to bring up a wrong game. You are being dramatic because we are on the back of a huge win and he did well in the first half. Should have had 2 open chances if Rashford wasn't selfish. We were balanced with him in the side. The moment he went off, we couldn't even string 2 passes until Garnacho came in.

So let's stop this nonsense for now, please

meamth

To replace Martial, we need another 50-100 million investment. Until that happens we need to back Martial.

Longshanks

Thought he was ok, and he was sorely missed in the second half where we couldn't get out of our own half. Anthony or Rashford weren't coming deep to hold up and lay off to help us build and it showed.

Dan_F

I don’t think he was bad when we were on the ball in the first half. In fact I don’t think we were bad in general, Rashford had two pretty good chances.

The main complaint about Martial was his lack of energy off the ball, but I guess if he was carrying an injury then that might explain it.

saik

Yeah, you chose to bring up a wrong game. You are being dramatic because we are on the back of a huge win and he did well in the first half. Should have had 2 open chances if Rashford wasn't selfish. We were balanced with him in the side. The moment he went off, we couldn't even string 2 passes until Garnacho came in.

So let's stop this nonsense for now, please
Huge win, yes. In which he did nothing apart from few touches in 45min and casually strolling about( yeah, I know he was not fit which is part of the problem).

In any case, like you said let's see if he pulls up any trees against Palace. I would love to be proven wrong but don't have my hopes up.

Castia

He was shite lets be honest

I'm not coming on here to moan after that result so I'll go no further but he's nowhere near the level required to be a regular striker in a team wanting to compete for trophies. Pretty obvious after 6 years of shite.

Telsim

He did the bare minimum expected from a striker at this level and then went off injured again at half time. When was the last time he was at a 100%? 2020? Also makes sense we looked better with him on the field considering his replacement was Antony.

He will suffice until the end of this season, but absolutely needs to be replaced this summer, if we are looking to win the big stuff.

Djemba-Djemba

His fitness record is just appalling.

Whether you think he's good or not it's almost irrelevant. It's like Pogba.

His time is surely coming to and end here

Mailo

This guy can't handle competition. Has the will of a wet paper towel. Wout will be a breath of fresh air for us.

Stretfordender

ETH is no fool he’ll have his own opinion on prolific Tony Martial. I trust ETH and the process he’s on.

Sylar

Decent first half especially with the ball coming to him. Thought his run for that rashford chance cleared off the line was weird.
Wasn't great and maybe because he had an issue?

We looked toothless when he came off as the ball wouldn't stick. However can't see him being first choice next season (unless somehow glazers are still here ...)

Andersons Dietician

Wonder what the injury is.

I’m a Martial fan and I guess some of it could be the injury today but I just don’t feel like he really wants to score. He just does odd things which ok if it comes off brilliant but yo can’t be a 20+ goal a season man hanging out on the 18 yarder.

There are so many times he is just waiting for a cut back, there might be space for him, but there maybe isn’t the pass for his team mate to cut it back to him. Just doesn’t have the desire for me to get in the positions to score. When he actually does maybe have a chance he passes it.

However, we looked more dangerous with him today when he was occupying defenders getting on the ball then spreading it out wide. I felt like he did those things well today but we really do need to find someone dependable up top moving forward.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He's not at the level needed physically. Pace has gone.
This. Our shape is much, much better with him in it, but he lost a lot of agility that made him dangerous upfront and in those free pockets around the penalty area where he likes to pop up.

Dr Foo

I thought he was ok in the first half, and held the ball well. It was the lack of intensity which presumably is due to him not being fit. He is very important to knitting our attacking play, but we could do with a striker who can do that plus be a more aggressive and available threat in the box.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
ETH’s excuse to replace him. For a game at least. If his replacement have a great game, he’ll probably won’t be getting back his place. That’s the ETH way.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
As lacking as Martial was physically in the first half, it was noticeable how much him not being there affected our second half start.

Sadly we cannot rely on someone who cannot stay fit. On paper Martial has all the gifts. However, it doesn't matter cos he's never fully fit enough to use them.

Today's game showed how much we need a reliable focal point, as well as how much other teams benefit when we have to go makeshift up top. Its not Martial fault but he's just not reliable enough to be the main man at Man Utd.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What his critics can't seem to grasp is that we consistently simply play better when he's on the pitch. Badly missed his link-up play after the break.
I would say the same about Antony (but when he's at right wing, not up top)

We need an rvn

I thought he was ok in the first half, and held the ball well. It was the lack of intensity which presumably is due to him not being fit. He is very important to knitting our attacking play, but we could do with a striker who can do that plus be a more aggressive and available threat in the box.
He’d be a decent striker to come on with 30 minutes to go, but the bolded part we’ve talked about for years and isn’t due to him not being fit - he’s just a lazy …..

hobbers

So either hooked for being abysmal or crocked again. Who could have predicted that.

Alvaro Maestre

Now you're changing the argument - I just said he needs to up his level, but this nonsensical idea that he's folding up because we've brought in a new striker is moronic, and you know it.
OK, so you think he didn't start playing bad when we signed Ibra, Cavani and Ronaldo? There's a trend for sure, you might be right and this time is different.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Commentator said he complained about discomfort.
For all his critics and many of it valid, we miss him badly when he doesn’t play. We can’t hold the ball in the final third when he doesn’t play.

jem

OK, so you think he didn't start playing bad when we signed Ibra, Cavani and Ronaldo? There's a trend for sure, you might be right and this time is different.
He definitely has previous (although I think he had some reasons with the way Mourinho treated him.) I haven't seen anything suggested an attitude issue this season. Just a severe issue with fitness, which is the real reason we need an upgrade, in my opinion. I'd love to keep Martial in the striking mix though.

Alvaro Maestre

He definitely has previous (although I think he had some reasons with the way Mourinho treated him.) I haven't seen anything suggested an attitude issue this season. Just a severe issue with fitness, which is the real reason we need an upgrade, in my opinion. I'd love to keep Martial in the striking mix though.
Fair enough! Good day all around, enjoy your weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.