Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No shit. We've known that for years but still hear the tedious repetition of "if he could stay fit..." as if he's ever going to be anything but a lazy waste of space.
It can both be true that he's never fit (a fact), that we play better with him in the team, and despite that that he crumbles when the going gets tough (which TBF I am not sure if it is completely true, he's had a good chunk of quality big games, but if the team isn't up for it, he won't take hold of the game).

EireRed_GS

Who is saying we should rely on him?

The question is whether we try to sell him and hope we can find someone who will give us money and pay his wages (good luck), or if we keep him at least one more season as a back-up striker where he probably rotates with Rashford depending on Martial's fitness?

The danger with keeping him as a backup striker is when he's had competition up front, he sulks and plays like a man who cant be bothered. it doesn't light a fire under him like it would for others, its frankly done the opposite. Id rather take a punt on a new young striker who is eager to impress and bust a gut with the minutes he gets.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This is just knee jerk response. There is a video on how Martial got injured. It seems like he is an easy target to make these kinds of comments on.

I wonder how harshly these people would comment on players of foreign origin if they pull performances like Maguire has done this season.

MegadrivePerson

This argument being made for him that when fit, he’s a top striker, is madness. He’s woefully inconsistent. Relying on him would be so foolish.
Yeah I've never understood this argument either. He hasn't been a good player for a very long time. Has a total of 9 league goals in in his last three seasons!

EireRed_GS

This is just knee jerk response. There is a video on how Martial got injured. It seems like he is an easy target to make these kinds of comments on.

I wonder how harshly these people would comment on players of foreign origin if they pull performances like Maguire has done this season.

People have. Remember the stick Fred has gotten before Ten Hag arrived.. he got an unbelievable amount of criticism for the mistakes he made over and over again. Him and Maguire have rightfully been singled out for calamitous errors this last couple years so i dont think its anything to do with foreign/english really

TrueRed79

He is stealing a living. Unbelievable that he had one decent season and got a fat new contract off the back of it. Between Woodward and the Glazers, they have ruined this club singlehandedly. Martial is a waster of the highest order.

gza the genius

I'm not really trying to stick up for him because I think he needs to go but I didn't think his actual performance was that bad yesterday. He basically had to drop deep the entire time he was on because we couldn't move the ball forward and when he dropped deep he generally kept possession and helped advance the ball. It's not really his fault that we gave him no service whatsoever.

He clearly can't be relied on though, even as just a backup, and needs to go. ETH has eased him in as much as possible, pulled him off after 60 minutes, literally every possible precaution, and he still manages to get hurt every couple of games.

Frank White

I'm not really trying to stick up for him because I think he needs to go but I didn't think his actual performance was that bad yesterday. He basically had to drop deep the entire time he was on because we couldn't move the ball forward and when he dropped deep he generally kept possession and helped advance the ball. It's not really his fault that we gave him no service whatsoever.

He clearly can't be relied on though, even as just a backup, and needs to go. ETH has eased him in as much as possible, pulled him off after 60 minutes, literally every possible precaution, and he still manages to get hurt every couple of games.
Felt the same with the little he had to do he did okay, complete kick in the balls he's more than likely injured again. Does feel like it could be the end of Martial, ETH has done everything right in regards to Martial and he's still a walking sick note.

croadyman

Why would he leave. No one will pay him a fraction of what he makes here. With mounting injuries, ge may as well just sit back and let the money come in like Jones has been doing.
Yeah we are lumbered with Mr weetabix

croadyman

You know we fecks up our contracts so bad when we're waiting for every player to run down his contract so that we can get rid on free. First Pogba and next one is Martial.

How many years does Sancho have in his contract ?
Down to the Toy Story puppets pal

Castia

According to The Athletic Tony is on 240k a week

You have to laugh

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Martial will be second choice next season if we get a new striker in. He is injury-prone and perhaps psychologically not at his best for a while. I feel we should keep him as a bench option albeit an expensive one but on his day he is magical.

Pickle85

Martial will be second choice next season if we get a new striker in. He is injury-prone and perhaps psychologically not at his best for a while. I feel we should keep him as a bench option albeit an expensive one but on his day he is magical.
Is he still, though? He was so, so exciting when he burst on the scene but hasn't showed any magic in some time. I think people remember how he was and that colours their perception of him now.

Mick1

This is the type of statements I find reprehensible. It's not like Martial was no longer up for the game, he was unlucky with Dabitzer falling on his knewww he s probably seeing his united future collapse in front of him.

A top level athlete who's body is failing them is a travesty, especially for the athlete whose seeing his prime and future slip away. Can't feel too sorry because they are more than well remunerated, but this seems borderline "victim blaming"

AndySmith1990

At his best he's a decent forward. Nothing magical about him. He's not worth the money nor the patience, and I don't understand how so many United fans still haven't reached the end of their tether with him after so many years of failure.

Pickle85

At his best he's a decent forward. Nothing magical about him. He's not worth the money nor the patience, and I don't understand how so many United fans still haven't reached the end of their tether with him after so many years of failure.
Spot on. Too many remember his early days and forget that he's no longer an enormously exciting teen.

pratyush_utd

People have. Remember the stick Fred has gotten before Ten Hag arrived.. he got an unbelievable amount of criticism for the mistakes he made over and over again. Him and Maguire have rightfully been singled out for calamitous errors this last couple years so i dont think its anything to do with foreign/english really
I didnt see Scholes mentioning Sancho chickens out and doesn’t have the mentality to fight for the team. Or for Maguire that he doesn’t have the temperament to play for United? That Maguire constantly shits the bed despite being the captain? Seems like most of the criticism about “mentality” is reserved for foreign players like Martial, De Gea, Fred etc.

Point is that these pundits get away by mentioning anything about foreign players and but remain diplomatic when it comes to British players

He got injured after a freak incident in which his own teammate hit him presumably on his knee and has recovered now to train. But post match comments is how he should have played through injury.

Raven

I didnt see Scholes mentioning Sancho chickens out and doesn’t have the mentality to fight for the team. Or for Maguire that he doesn’t have the temperament to play for United? That Maguire constantly shits the bed despite being the captain? Seems like most of the criticism about “mentality” is reserved for foreign players like Martial, De Gea, Fred etc.

Point is that these pundits get away by mentioning anything about foreign players and but remain diplomatic when it comes to British players

He got injured after a freak incident in which his own teammate hit him presumably on his knee and has recovered now to train. But post match comments is how he should have played through injury.
Another example of Maguire being an uncoordinated ape, Scholes probably didn't mention that either.

Stadjer

Agree with everything. Just not with needing him to go. Who is going to buy him and pay his wages? I dont think anyone will. Dont get rid just to get rid of him (get rid is how the cool people say it i think). He could be an often injured second or third option next season and let go at the end of his contract. If he does well and can stay fit he might even earn himself a reduced contract but im not expecting him to actually stay fit and earn that contract.

Last game people were bashing him again but he did what he could. Without Bruno he wasnt getting any service at all so he dropped very, very deep. He received the ball and usually did the right thing with it. That his game ends with Maguire pushing Sabitzer onto his knee is very unlucky but that is not really anything Martial can prevent himself.

bosnian_red

You'd be hard pressed to find a United fan who doesn't want a starting striker in the summer.

Wanting him gone doesn't make much sense though when you need 2 strikers anyway, so we'd need to buy a 2nd which we just don't have the budget for, and he is a better forward than most backups we could try to find (who would cost more than we'd sell him for anyway). Our only hope is a Julian Alvarez type gamble working out.

Wanting him to be fit just makes sense because we just play much better with him. He isn't a league title challenger caliber striker, more like Europa League level, but our alternative is championship level... So yeah, he'd still have a big impact for us if he could stay fit. Because the other options are so much worse.

OL29

I guarantee you Sherwood or any other UK pundit would never speak about Maguire like this.

dalriada

When he's in the mood he has some great skills, but mood and moodiness have been a problem with him from his earliest days under LVG. On Thursday he gave the impression he often does, that he'll down tools when things are going badly. I'm not surprised Rangnick named him as one of three "mood killers" in the team. It's an issue we've been talking about for literally years now, and it's past the point where we give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ole90+3

Let's face it though, even when Martial appears to be at full fitness, he doesn't necessarily give off a "warrior" attitude. I've never been impressed with his attitude at United. He's a sulky fecker and, for all his skills, has overstayed his welcome here as far as I'm concerned.

Raven

When he's in the mood he has some great skills, but mood and moodiness have been a problem with him from his earliest days under LVG. On Thursday he gave the impression he often does, that he'll down tools when things are going badly. I'm not surprised Rangnick named him as one of three "mood killers" in the team. It's an issue we've been talking about for literally years now, and it's past the point where we give him the benefit of the doubt.
I don't recall Rangick calling him a mood killer, do you have a link for this?

saik

I've been saying this for months now but it's really in the best interests of everyone to just let him leave in the summer. If wages are a issue just let him go on a free transfer, I don't care. Those wages saved alone would be our transfer fee for him.

He is not a fighter on the pitch, never has been. Some nice bits of play but ultimately zero fight in him. And now there's this added issue of him being never fit enough to finish 90min. Utterly pointless to keep paying 250k/week for this.

pratyush_utd

Let's face it though, even when Martial appears to be at full fitness, he doesn't necessarily give off a "warrior" attitude. I've never been impressed with his attitude at United. He's a sulky fecker and, for all his skills, has overstayed his welcome here as far as I'm concerned.
What about Sancho attitude? Or Maguire?

My original point was not about performance. Its how disgusting comments are thrown at him without any evidence, purely on pundits “feelings” and honest opinions but suddenly that disappears when they mention about British players.

Martial and De Gea are prime examples of how they are so easy target for British media and pundits. Despite being injured for whole season and having stinker of a last season, Martial has contributed more than Maguire and Sancho. Both of whom were 80m buys while Martial cost us 36m.

Also its funny how everyone here mentions how he isnt a “fighter” but have no issue with players like Sancho who hides all game.

This tweet was posted just a game before Sevilla game

pratyush_utd

I guarantee you Sherwood or any other UK pundit would never speak about Maguire like this.

Exactly. Thats filthy and has no place on TV. But still some are oblivious to blatant double standards.

saik

Also its funny how everyone here mentions how he isnt a “fighter” but have no issue with players like Sancho who hides all game.
I did mention Sancho above in my post initially but this being Martial thread I removed that part. But I absolutely believe Sancho to be a pussy. And I said as much in the match day thread. I'm all for him to be let go as well. The only attacker who displayed any kind of fight was Antony. The other two were absolutely useless in that match.

I would say Sancho has been even more pathetic than Martial. Atleast Martial has injury problems. Sancho just returned from a 3 month break where ETH has been so patient and tried to help him improve and he continues to put in these pathetic performances.

Pickle85

You'd be hard pressed to find a United fan who doesn't want a starting striker in the summer.

Wanting him gone doesn't make much sense though when you need 2 strikers anyway, so we'd need to buy a 2nd which we just don't have the budget for, and he is a better forward than most backups we could try to find (who would cost more than we'd sell him for anyway). Our only hope is a Julian Alvarez type gamble working out.

Wanting him to be fit just makes sense because we just play much better with him. He isn't a league title challenger caliber striker, more like Europa League level, but our alternative is championship level... So yeah, he'd still have a big impact for us if he could stay fit. Because the other options are so much worse.
But he's never fit. So he's not a viable back up. Which makes the rest of the post redundant.

Pickle85

What about Sancho attitude? Or Maguire?

My original point was not about performance. Its how disgusting comments are thrown at him without any evidence, purely on pundits “feelings” and honest opinions but suddenly that disappears when they mention about British players.

Martial and De Gea are prime examples of how they are so easy target for British media and pundits. Despite being injured for whole season and having stinker of a last season, Martial has contributed more than Maguire and Sancho. Both of whom were 80m buys while Martial cost us 36m.

This tweet was posted just a game before Sevilla game

So weird that you use Sancho as an example of a player whose attitude people don't have an issue with. You sure you read the caf?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
A - that's not true is it. Sancho gets plenty of stick

B - even if there is a disparity, it might have something to do with the fact that ones been here 20 months and seen 3 different managers and is still only 23. The other has been here 8 years and proven again and again that he isn't up to it.

bosnian_red

But he's never fit. So he's not a viable back up. Which makes the rest of the post redundant.
He does pick up most of his injuries in matches... So technically he's putting himself less at risk of injuries. And less match load which again means less likely to get injury from playing a few games in a row.

And it doesn't make anything redundant. We still have a budget, and priorities. A backup striker for the big money striker we do buy this summer is low on the list. I think Ten Hag would sooner just not buy anyone to be backup and just play Rashford there when needed, and still focus on backup DM, CM, GK, etc. Which is why we'll just keep Martial another year as his contract is out in 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.