g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Antonio Valencia image 25

Antonio Valencia Ecuador flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The 63-year-old said: "I have mentioned that three central defenders were injured. Is that normal in a club? I don't think that is normal. "Then Jones and Valencia were also injured, so more or less five defenders.

I'd say that's pretty damning of Valencia's attacking threat that he refers to him as a defender now.

Ekeke

Its wishful thinking to call him a defender.

He's really an attacker with no attacking threat at all, but wins the ball a bit more than his peers.

LR7

The 63-year-old said: "I have mentioned that three central defenders were injured. Is that normal in a club? I don't think that is normal. "Then Jones and Valencia were also injured, so more or less five defenders.

I'd say that's pretty damning of Valencia's attacking threat that he refers to him as a defender now.
I think he actually said "Young and Valencia" iirc since he counted Jones in the initial three central defenders. I think he was referring to them being options wingback role perhaps? I found it odd when I watched it though. It'd be concerning id he was considering Young and Valencia as fullbacks in a back 4 :nervous:

itso 7

Ahhh, hope Valencia's back for the Chelsea game. Think his energy and strength be much needed against the Chelsea midfield. It will also mean he can do a job with Rafael, doubling up on Hazard. I'd like to see a midfield four of:

Blind
Valencia - Di Maria
Herrera
That's a pretty good midfield with enough in terms of energy and creativity. Plus I think Herrera would be more useful when defending from the front and will definitely not go into hiding in the way Mata did against Everton.
Valencia, if he can cut down on the silly fouls, would be a handy option to have for that right sided midfield role.

Walters_19_MuFc

That's a pretty good midfield with enough in terms of energy and creativity. Plus I think Herrera would be more useful when defending from the front and will definitely not go into hiding in the way Mata did against Everton.
Valencia, if he can cut down on the silly fouls, would be a handy option to have for that right sided midfield role.
Ye exactly. The idea behind putting Herrera as the number 10 is that he'll be able to do a job on Matic, who starts off more or less most of Chelsea's attack. I think as well as his creative spark to damage Chelsea going forward, Herrera will have the energy to do a very good job on Matic, giving him very little time as possible to dictate the pace of the game.

As for Valencia, I agree on the fouls, but as long as it's not in a dangerous position, then it's not too bad. It will disrupt Chelsea's flow.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Left Smalling exposed his red card. Idiot.

Ash_G

It's a joke the amount of times he only reacts to a player going beyond him and not being ofside until the ball is played to him. Similarly it's a joke that every throw in that gets passed back to him has to go back/risky pass as he can't move on to his left.

footballgirl07

There exploiting our right side so easily. Plus can someone teach him how to do a proper throw in?

izec

Like i said, he just looks at the ball. They all run behind his back as much as they want too. Time for a new RB, Clyne, the italian guy just get someone in.

Ryan7

He really is just oblivious to things going on around him. Tbf, he is out of position. It adds to the fact however, he's no good anywhere.

acnumber9

He's been terrible but I feel a bit sorry for him. Just back from injury and thrown in at right back against the beat attacking team in the league. He's going to have a long second half.

Kag

Three foul throws, too. We used to get pulled up at boys club league on a Sunday for that shit.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
After the performance he put in at the Etihad last year, it was obvious City would target him again. They'll get plenty of joy down that side in this second half.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's been shit but given he's playing out of position and coming back from injury, it's hard to blame him.

footballgirl07

Trouble is he isn't even doing basic stuff right. He losses concentration, goes after the ball and leaves his position free, played city onside and his passing as we as good as the rest of the team, rubbish. They are going to continue to exploit him as our weakness and atm, it is where they clearly look there dangerous.

acnumber9

Played really well second half in very tough circumstances. One thing you can never call into question is his work rate.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
He doesn't have the positional sense to play right back. One v one his defending is fine because of his physical attributes but it's very easy to play the ball in behind him because he doesn't track his man.

Dylan94

To be fair to him, overall, he was absolutely fantastic today. Did a great job for us and filling in for Rafa.

ZDwyr

I thought he was alright. When he got forward and we desperately needed a cross into the box I hoped so much that he wouldn't...but yep, he drilled it into the defender's ankles.

Devil may care

Playing out of position in a game where we were down to ten men. I thought he had a good second half, oddly when we had 11 men he played worse, maybe getting Smalling out of the way and the composure of Carrick next to him helped Tony settle.

NessunDorma

Thought he did quite well, and WhoScored have him as our best player.

Moyes used to talk about him becoming a decent right back eventually (and Moyes was actually quite good at identifying talent).

I hope he does, because he's one United player I really like.