g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Antonio Valencia image 25

Antonio Valencia Ecuador flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Apart for the Liverpool game, Young has been the better wing back but that's not to say I have a problem with him, just gets on with his defensive duties quietly and sometimes provides service for the forwards. Shocking really when you think of what he was 2-3 years ago but that's all we need him to be these days.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He has done a very decent job as wing back. But Young is totally out performing him

Reckon LVG likes Valencia because he has looked so disciplined

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Young got caught out of position a few times. Don't remember Newcastle having much joy down our right. Valencia's role seemed to be to shut down that flank... and he did it.

TheReligion

Abusive
Really impressed with Valencia lately given how poor he had become. This no frills wing back role really suits him and his pace and power is valuable to us when defending a quick counter. The more he plays the role the more his defensive awareness improves also.

It is funny really as all the top managers seem to have a lot of time for Antonio Valencia, even when he is off form. van Gaal likes him and even Guardiola spoke highly of him when we played Bayern. He also seemed to always play for Fergie even when in dire form.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He is a manager's dream. No agent, follows instructions, never complains, and is strong and fast and conservative with his play.

Rafael is still much better though.

Ixion

He's doing alright but I would take Rafael back without question, whereas Young is at least making the manager think when Shaw is fit. Young is really taking his chance, taking on his man, putting in good crosses, showing some pace. Valencia needs to follow his lead, show more confidence.

Shimo

When he keeps moving when he gets the ball, defenders don't know what to do with him - they'll continue to back off him. It's when he stops that he loses all effectiveness usually. Did actually get a shot on goal today and wish he'd do a bit more of that - it's there for him usually when he is more agressive.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
One of my favourite things to witness in football is still one of Valencia's displays of his freakish strength. I swear there was one point today where one of their defenders tried to push him and ended up falling over himself... t'was hilarious.

Dominos

To be honest, bar the run and cutback for Rooney in the Liverpool game, he's still not contributing a great deal going forward is he? Young's whipping in quality cross one after the other, we're very reliant on him in an attacking sense it seems because there's not a lot going on down the right hand side.

Danny Boi

To be honest, bar the run and cutback for Rooney in the Liverpool game, he's still not contributing a great deal going forward is he? Young's whipping in quality cross one after the other, we're very reliant on him in an attacking sense it seems because there's not a lot going on down the right hand side.
In fairness it's very rare that both wingers/wingbacks dominate in the same game.Play tends to drift towards one side,usually Young's as he is a better crosser.Young had a n ordinary game against Liverpool because Valencia was dominating.

That said he did get a shot on target and broke free once and should have done better with the pass to RVP.There definately is more to come from him going forward but it wan't really his fault play wasn't going through him this time.

Welbeckham

Much better defender than Young, and I think Valencia was better than him against both Liverpool and Villa. And Rafael and Shaw should be far away from certain starting positions (at least as long as we play with 3 CBs) because both Young and Valencia have been really solid.

ZDwyr

He is showing that he is definitely capable of being a back-up to Rafael, which is a good thing.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's not done anything bad but when you look at Young, you can't help but feel he should be offering a heck of a lot going forward especially a he's supposed to be a winger.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
His removal disrupted our momentum significantly. We suffered a lot from the formation change. In my opinion, he kept their attack from the left very quiet. We missed his physical presence in the second half. Hope he will be fit for Stoke. Rafael will get a red card if he starts there.

Acole9

Outstanding
I hope his injury is not too serious. He played well before he had to come off.

Rossa

What many seem to take for granted is Valencia's physical presence. Pardew talked about hitting United on the counter with quick players, Gouffran being one of them. He tried several times to race down that left side but was easily outpaced by Valencia every time. Against Tottenham, they might have gone through on the counter as well down the middle had not Valencia rushed back to intercept.

Currently, he may not offer too much going forwards, unless when forced to and then he runs past a couple of players, but his passing, retention of the ball and defensive work rate is very valuable.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I wish he could cross properly. More precisely, I wish he could use at least a couple of crossing techniques.

He never whips in crosses. He always blasts them into the area. When he tries to hang them up it inevitably fails. A bit annoying, because in his first couple of seasons he was a good crosser of the ball and got plenty of assists.

Ekeke

I thought he did well, obviously no quality delivery but he was one of our only players who could beat a man and get us on the front foot. Did that a good 3 or 4 times to progress moves down the right

littlepeasoup

His delivery today was no better than Shaw on the opposite flank, but he looked far more likely to beat his man which has never been a given when we're talking about ol' Tony V. Fair play.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's going past players again so that's not bad but the rest is still shite. He's set the bar so very low though that some will mistake that for a good performance.

acnumber9

The only player driving us forward for most of the game. Rafael would be getting praised for a performance like that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Combination of power and speed with aggression suited for proper Man United player.

Miles better than Di Maria and Mata, today. Feckin class above.