5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
There's nothing wrong with having one move. Ask Robben. The problem is that Valencia hasn't tried to get past anyone in 2 fecking years.

I'm glad it finally happened against Liverpool and resulted in a goal.

coolredwine

lameredboots
There's nothing wrong with having one move. Ask Robben. The problem is that Valencia hasn't tried to get past anyone in 2 fecking years.

I'm glad it finally happened against Liverpool and resulted in a goal.
It's not only the run but the fact that he saw Rooney and passed to him. I was fully expecting him to just whip the ball in and hit the first defender.

Ixion

He has 4 assists this season :eek:
Our attacks often go down his side, they just usually come to nothing when he blasts it at the defenders legs. If he actually started to pick out passes like yesterday more often he'd contribute a lot more.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Massive credit to Lvg for turning Young's and Valencia's career around. Both were absolute dogshite under Moyes, and in Fergie's last couple of seasons.

montpelier

Sometimes gets a raw deal on here but final ball could be better and has played less well since the serious injury before which he was consistently excellent. Done really good yesterday - apart from losing Moreno the one time.

red_7

the 3-5-2 formation seens to help players like Young, Valencia and Fellaini. Carrick as well but iso the other im sure he would also do well in midfield when we play a back-four

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Massive credit to Lvg for turning Young's and Valencia's career around. Both were absolute dogshite under Moyes, and in Fergie's last couple of seasons.
They were both good in Fergie's second last season, especially Valencia.

red_7

don't forget both do play more defensive roles than before. That Valencia could do this doesn't surprise me but Young's defensive performances have been a real surprise for me

Rossa

I've always been an admirer of his pace and power, but does he look a little more sluggish for the first couple of yards? His top speed is still impressive, no doubt. But when he sped away from Allan, it wasn't with impressive acceleration, but perhaps he didn't need to...

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I have always had a soft spot for him (well in the last couple of years as much a soft spot as you can have considering lots of his laughable performances) but even then out of our average players I preferred to keep him rather than some others as I refused to believe that he had completely turned into an anti footballer for ever! He had shown too many positives for United at one time to be that bad. Glad he is doing fine again. Long may it continue!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Even at his worst he showed a few very useful attributes. His strength, speed, stamina is all second to none, but he is also really good at keeping hold of the ball under pressure and finding a way out to relieve the pressure. He was frustrating as hell going forward the last 2 years, but he's clearly playing with a lot more confidence now and is even passing the ball with his left occasionally, something he would avoid at all costs before.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's so annoying that he does it in fits and starts. He suddenly unleashes the beast and makes you think "why the hell do you not just do that normally?!". I loved that when he finally got into the box he actually picked out a runner really nicely. That was the AV25 of old, not the 1 he has regressed into.

He has been solid though at RB recently, he really does make a great wing back with his physical attributes.

Bwuk

If he can keep improving defensively I have no problem with him being back up right back. He has all the physical attributes.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd
Carrick: Valencia an unsung hero
Michael Carrick has praised Antonio Valencia's athleticism and selflessness as the Ecuadorian continues to impress on the right flank for Manchester United.

Valencia has performed well at full-back in Rafael's absence and set up Wayne Rooney's opener against Liverpool with a wonderful piece of skill last weekend. Carrick feels his team-mate is something of an unsung hero with a steely determination to succeed.

"Antonio is a pure athlete," the midfielder told Inside United. "He is immense. It is the work he does that doesn't get noticed, things like carrying the ball up the pitch for 30 or 40 yards when you have been defending.

"He takes you up the pitch and defenders just back up because they know about his pace. If he can go down the line, then he is pretty hard to catch. He is a great team player and, when you are playing with him, you certainly appreciate that he is on your team."

Valencia, who has passed 200 appearances for the club, may be shy off the field but he is certainly expressing himself under Louis van Gaal.

"He is pretty much the full package," added Carrick. "He is reserved but determined at the same time. He is quiet, he is pleasant and he is polite. He is not somebody who shouts and screams in the changing room but I certainly wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him.

"He is stubborn and determined. He has got a real desire to win, like everyone at this club."

LR7

I'd quite like to see him on the right of the midfield three when Rafael returns.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He did sort of play that role as a RM in a diamond against Everton when Herrera was injured. Was pretty decent in that game as well.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Even at his worst he showed a few very useful attributes. His strength, speed, stamina is all second to none, but he is also really good at keeping hold of the ball under pressure and finding a way out to relieve the pressure. He was frustrating as hell going forward the last 2 years, but he's clearly playing with a lot more confidence now and is even passing the ball with his left occasionally, something he would avoid at all costs before.
I wish Fellaini would start avoiding this too.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I wish Fellaini would start avoiding this too.
Me too. His lazy passing with his left foot giftet Southampton a goal and Liverpool a great chance. And he almost giftet me a heart attack in the process.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Me too. His lazy passing with his left foot giftet Southampton a goal and Liverpool a great chance. And he almost giftet me a heart attack in the process.
That's a little harsh, specially the Southampton goal. Between his stupid pass and the goal, there were many opportunities to defend better and clear the ball.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think his stat of averaging just 1.1 dribble per game is still hugely dosappointing for a player with his pace and power. You could argue its playing at right back but last year he averaged exactly the same from the right wing.

If he was more adventurous he'd be a lot more threatening and create not only a few more goals but also space for others to work with.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think his stat of averaging just 1.1 dribble per game is still hugely dosappointing for a player with his pace and power. You could argue its playing at right back but last year he averaged exactly the same from the right wing.

If he was more adventurous he'd be a lot more threatening and create not only a few more goals but also space for others to work with.
Where did you get that stat from and how does it compare with Rafael?

The closest I could find was "succesful take on" and he's 1.08/game this season, compared to Rafael's average of 1.00 last season (and 0.64 from the season before).

EDIT: Rafael's better this season mind you, with 1.17

Brightonian

Here's a Rafael vs Valencia stat off, for the nerdily inclined.

If you ask me, they demonstrate that Rafael is the better full back but Valencia runs him impressively close.

Those that buy into the "Total", "Defence" and "Attack" scores will probably come to the opposite conclusion.
Which is definitely backed up by the overall impression he's given on the pitch. I think both Young and Valencia might just have found their best positions, strangely. Both are very hard-working, both are tactically intelligent and responsible, both fast, both decent tacklers. Neither is really a good enough attacker these days to be relied on as an offensive outlet, and neither is confident enough going forward to do much with the ball when receiving it in tight spaces or with their backs to goal. This FB/WB conversion seems to suit those conditions.

I'd like to see Shaw and Rafael in the first XI whenever they're available, but after recent showings I'm pretty happy for Valencia and Young to be their back-up.

Getsme

Valencia has always had the ability, you don’t get player of the season at a Club like United unless you have something about you. I’ve no idea what happened to him the last couple of seasons but I believe we are finally starting to see the old Valencia. He is using his speed to take on players again and tends not to overthink things too much which was part of his problem last season.

bishblaize

Valencia has always had the ability, you don’t get player of the season at a Club like United unless you have something about you. I’ve no idea what happened to him the last couple of seasons but I believe we are finally starting to see the old Valencia. He is using his speed to take on players again and tends not to overthink things too much which was part of his problem last season.
There's a lot of players out there who hit a couple of years of really good form but never hit those heights again. Indeed they probably outnumber the players who manage a very high level throughout their entire careers.

Tony V has been way below par for the last couple of seasons, I think we can all agree that. So even if he gets back to average he'll be better than he has been. But I can't say Im particularly hopeful he'll ever hit those player of the year heights again. That said he may do enough to warrant his continued place in the squad though. A direct pacy winger is never a bad thing to have on the bench.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Where did you get that stat from and how does it compare with Rafael?

The closest I could find was "succesful take on" and he's 1.08/game this season, compared to Rafael's average of 1.00 last season (and 0.64 from the season before).

EDIT: Rafael's better this season mind you, with 1.17
It's from WhoScored.

I should add though I'm not really looking to compare him with Rafael. As you know I've been one of Valencia's harshest critics but believe it or not, I'm happy enough to admit when I'm wrong. I felt he had no future here but he's reinvented himself and I'm very pleased with him this season.

To the point where I question if Rafael should actually come back in without Valencia losing his place through injury or a drop in form first.

The reason I wasn't looking to compare him with those stats is that it's his own ability that I am judging him against. I still feel he's playing within himself and is too conservative in his attacking, especially when he has Fellaini on his wing who is more than capable of dropping in behind and holding ground if he should take a risk and try to go past a player or two.

It could be though that Van Gaal has highlighted the wide areas as potential issue areas and instructions are to be conservative wide and attack through the centre which makes sense as we are better dealing with attacks centrally than we are dealing with attacks that start from wide.

Getsme

There's a lot of players out there who hit a couple of years of really good form but never hit those heights again. Indeed they probably outnumber the players who manage a very high level throughout their entire careers.

Tony V has been way below par for the last couple of seasons, I think we can all agree that. So even if he gets back to average he'll be better than he has been. But I can't say Im particularly hopeful he'll ever hit those player of the year heights again. That said he may do enough to warrant his continued place in the squad though. A direct pacy winger is never a bad thing to have on the bench.
I agree.

It’s hard to regain top form when you’ve been without it for so long, but Valencia still has the pace and with a bit of tweaking to his game I’m hoping he gets back to him old self, he’s shown more glimpses that he is on the right path this season that he has for the last two, which is encouraging.

bishblaize

It's from WhoScored.

I should add though I'm not really looking to compare him with Rafael. As you know I've been one of Valencia's harshest critics but believe it or not, I'm happy enough to admit when I'm wrong. I felt he had no future here but he's reinvented himself and I'm very pleased with him this season.

To the point where I question if Rafael should actually come back in without Valencia losing his place through injury or a drop in form first.

The reason I wasn't looking to compare him with those stats is that it's his own ability that I am judging him against. I still feel he's playing within himself and is too conservative in his attacking, especially when he has Fellaini on his wing who is more than capable of dropping in behind and holding ground if he should take a risk and try to go past a player or two.

It could be though that Van Gaal has highlighted the wide areas as potential issue areas and instructions are to be conservative wide and attack through the centre which makes sense as we are better dealing with attacks centrally than we are dealing with attacks that start from wide.
In terms of performances Valencia has been refreshingly good. I generally think a player who's done well should keep their place in the team (provided their replacement isn't some world class talent).

However I think part of the reason we're playing a 3-5-2 is because we have Valencia and/or Young in the team. Playing them as wingbacks gives them extra cover and changes the balance of their role to make them a bit more attacking and a bit less defensive. While they both work hard in defense, Shaw and Rafael will both have spent (I hope) a hell of a lot of hours as they grew up understanding how to make a back four unit work, getting an instinctive understanding for how an offside trap works etc. As good as Valencia has been, I doubt at this age he'll be able to learn that.

So even though I think its harsh, I'd personally swap Valencia for Rafael if it allowed us to go to a back 4, as it seems to suit our other personnel better.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In terms of performances Valencia has been refreshingly good. I generally think a player who's done well should keep their place in the team (provided their replacement isn't some world class talent).

However I think part of the reason we're playing a 3-5-2 is because we have Valencia and/or Young in the team. Playing them as wingbacks gives them extra cover and changes the balance of their role to make them a bit more attacking and a bit less defensive. While they both work hard in defense, Shaw and Rafael will both have spent (I hope) a hell of a lot of hours as they grew up understanding how to make a back four unit work, getting an instinctive understanding for how an offside trap works etc. As good as Valencia has been, I doubt at this age he'll be able to learn that.

So even though I think its harsh, I'd personally swap Valencia for Rafael if it allowed us to go to a back 4, as it seems to suit our other personnel better.
Yup. Same here.

Valencia's been great but still doesn't have the defensive instincts of a fullback, as you say. These was horribly apparent in his first few cracks at the position (often costing us goals) but does seem to be improving. Obviously not to an extent where Van Gaal will trust him in a back four though and if I don't get anything else for Christmas, I hope I get to see Manchester United playing with 4 at the back. If this means taking Antonio out of the team, so be it.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest

I blame the shirt number change :D