5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Very decent performance yesterday, and his cross for Smashley hitting the bar was lovely. I'm very much a Rafael fan, but Tony deserves to play if he shows this form.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Very decent performance yesterday, and his cross for Smashley hitting the bar was lovely. I'm very much a Rafael fan, but Tony deserves to play if he shows this form.
Yep I agree but he looks concussed at times. I wish he'd stop refusing to take men on in 1 v 1 situations in the final 3rd. It makes me weep! Plus hopefully he'll start overlapping at pace and more frequently.

Stretford End Phil

Yep I agree but he looks concussed at times. I wish he'd stop refusing to take men on in 1 v 1 situations in the final 3rd. It makes me weep! Plus hopefully he'll start overlapping at pace and more frequently.
Agreed, but in the last few games he has looked his old self. I wonder if might be coming good just at the right time.

itso 7

He had one decent game against a fairly poor opponent so far. We need a new right back starter and Valencia isn't the kind of caliber we need to get back to the top. He might have improved defensively but going forward he still offers nothing which is pretty much what he has been doing for almost 3 seasons now.
I think he has had more than one decent game tbh and he looks like he has got to grips with the requirements of the position. I think his attacking output will get better as he regains confidence with more good/very good games and btw with a proper winger ahead of him we don't need a high standard of attacking play from him. Be that as may I think he will benefit from the winger grabbing more attention from him giving him more space and time.
Going into next season I will be comfortable with him as our first choice right back, especially this version of him who is more clued up defensively. We still need a few more players and their acquisitions will cost large sums of money so why not utilize the players we have and use the twenty or so million quid it would take to sign Clyne or Coleman?

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
The man is far from being one of our biggest issues. The philosophy has actually helped him out a little. I'm sure Louis has no problem with Antonio taking the safe option of passing it inside instead of taking his man on, something we all know that he's incapable of doing at a high level like the former player of the year used to.

Last edited:

Player Red

Obviously Valencia is no longer the right winger and does not have a full back behind him if he is attacking down the right. I can see why he would be hesitant at times as he doesn't want to leave us exposed considering he is the right back. It is now about improving his decision making of when to take a risk going forward and to try and beat his man. He still has it in him (see assist against Liverpool), it is really a matter of balance. He has certainly improved defensively in the role, just need him to get back to some of that attacking play.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Still hinders our play, like he has done for almost 3 years. Still, if people enjoy that fair enough.

Devil may care

Go back in this thread and you will see I am the opposite of a Valencia fanboy, but I fail to see how people are complaining about his recent performances, he was good tonight, gave them nothing down his side and linked well in attack, put a peach of a cross in that Moppy should have buried.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
He's not doing anything wrong really. Except for spending about 30 seconds deciding what to do each time he gets the ball.

snk123

Still hinders our play, like he has done for almost 3 years. Still, if people enjoy that fair enough.
Yes because without him we play the most fluid football in the world.

Sometimes it seems like people watch different games. He defended well - crossing was perfect today i felt. He rarely loses the ball and was overlapping creating space for the winger every time.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Good play with ADM which added a lot of pressure. Our right wing was by far better than our left wing

Orton

Sometimes it seems like people watch different games. He defended well - crossing was perfect today i felt. He rarely loses the ball and was overlapping creating space for the winger every time.
My preference is someone who takes more risks and LVG's anti risk tactics are stifling most of our play. Valencia has just been that player for ages though.

ZDwyr

Keeps impressing and fair play to him. His crossing even looked better.

Maagge

My preference is someone who takes more risks and LVG's anti risk tactics are stifling most of our play. Valencia has just been that player for ages though.
I don't even mind him not taking risks as such, I'd just like him to not spend as much time deciding to pass it back. Just keep it moving in one or two touches eventually a passing lane will open and you can play a one-two or whatever to get in behind.

Orton

I don't even mind him not taking risks as such, I'd just like him to not spend as much time deciding to pass it back. Just keep it moving in one or two touches eventually a passing lane will open and you can play a one-two or whatever to get in behind.
To be fair to him, he's not the only one who does it but he does it more often than anyone else, and it always gives teams time to get everyone back.

Maagge

To be fair to him, he's not the only one who does it but he does it more often than anyone else, and it always gives teams time to get everyone back.
Yep there's still a lack of movement in our team making it difficult to play quickly. I've always been brought up with the mantra that if you don't have an immediate passing option forwards then you use the next best as quickly as possible. Instead of waiting since, as you say, that will give the opposition time to get back and organise themselves. Just keep it moving.

DocRockter

He's playing those "low reward - high risk" -situations better than anyone. He just finds a way to use his speed to get out of trouble that oftej others have passed onto him. Playing behind Di Maria he has to keep his head going forward and still gets a couple of dangerous crosses in every game. Been very good this whole season, would look even better if Di Maria could support him with world-class performances..

m1y2

solid, that's what he is , he can have a good game when anybody around him plays well or just solid game like he showed today. I'd like to see Rafael back tbh because Valencia is too predictable and can only play in one way. He's like robot currently working well so I guess it's thumb up for him.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again

And don´t forget those two long passes down the touchline, one to I think di Maria, and the other to Januzaj, were absolutely tits. Doesn´t get enough credit. Seems to work really well with di Maria or Januzaj on the wing, much as he did as a winger with a prime Rafael.

Last edited:

ChaddyP

Criminally underrated this season. He is being knocked down on here because of his previous form last couple seasons. The man has turned a new leaf this year and has been excellent at the back this season. Hes fast, strong and his crossing is almost back to where it used to be. He is our best right back as far as im concerned.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Criminally underrated this season. He is being knocked down on here because of his previous form last couple seasons. The man has turned a new leaf this year and has been excellent at the back this season. Hes fast, strong and his crossing is almost back to where it used to be. He is our best right back as far as im concerned.
I assume you mean under rated then.

RooneyLegend

Agreed, he's really bossing that side of the field in basically every match we play. Guess its Rafa's fans that refuse to accept that he's currently the better player and has rightfully earned his spot in the team. Nothing goes past Antonio, and unlike last season where he used to switch off and look clueless when defending he seems to understand the role now. Just simply a great fullback.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yeah, he's been great. Still not quite the explosive outlet he was in 11/12, but I think he has adapted well to this new role, which is a credit to him after I'm sure we all expected he was done here from the form he showed in his previous two seasons.

Defensively, I think he may be one of the most solid right backs around. Never loses a physical battle. His anticipation in one-on-one situations is seriously on point. Great tackler. His first touch is outrageously underrated. He controls bullet passes without breaking stride. He could control a medicine ball being shot right at him out of a cannon. He makes it look like nothing, and it barely gets a mention.

I love Rafael, but right now Valencia is the better option for us, in terms of remaining as defensively solid as possible. I think Rafael might give us a bit more potency in attack, but I don't think he's anywhere near as dominant defensively, nor as disciplined. He's one of the first names on the team sheet when naming our strongest 11, IMO.

ChaddyP

Agreed, he's really bossing that side of the field in basically every match we play. Guess its Rafa's fans that refuse to accept that he's currently the better player and has rightfully earned his spot in the team. Nothing goes past Antonio, and unlike last season where he used to switch off and look clueless when defending he seems to understand the role now. Just simply a great fullback.
I was one of Rafaels biggest fans. I would argue with other rival team fans about how good he is. He just really has t kicked on since that really great season he had. Injuries haven't helped but it kinda speaks volumes when only United fans rate a player. Valencia has earned his spot and I have full confidence in him. Rafael does bring some more directness and flair when he plays. But if you speak of consistency. That's valencia for you. At least this season.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
His first touch is outrageously underrated. He controls bullet passes without breaking stride. He could control a medicine ball being shot right at him out of a cannon. He makes it look like nothing, and it barely gets a mention.
Every once in a while it seems someone posts about his poor first touch…makes me wonder if they've actually seen any matches. Even back when Scholes was pinging 50-yard cross field passes, Valencia was always there to bring it down like he was using his hands. Plenty of areas he can improve on - his first touch is not one.

bugmat

Every once in a while it seems someone posts about his poor first touch…makes me wonder if they've actually seen any matches. Even back when Scholes was pinging 50-yard cross field passes, Valencia was always there to bring it down like he was using his hands. Plenty of areas he can improve on - his first touch is not one.
This - the past 2 years (2012-2014) he seemed to have mysteriously lost plenty of confidence and you could see it in his reluctance to put balls in the air or attack (he let Rafael do that in 2012). But his first touch has always been great on his right foot and it would have to be with all the high, lofted balls Scholes and now Rooney send his way. He also is one of our best one-touch passers. I'm sure someone can find all the flicks he does when he played with Rafael or this season when the winger and him have been in sync. He still could work on

(1) his shooting - he has a cannon but no real direction or technique to it.

(2) defensively he's been superb especially on covering blind runs which were what always caught him out 2-3 years ago when Fergie first played him at RB, but I think his SLIDE tackling can improve. His tackling on his feet his good but , as you expect of a converted winger, his sliding is still touch-and-go.

(3) his crossing - it's actually been great the past month, but I thinkhe could really use his left more. He's shown he can at least 2-3 times a season, but he needs to do it 2 times a game to make the defenders nervous.