Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Utd 3:1 West Ham

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This is turning out to be a shocking signing so far. For 80 million you want a readymade answer and unfortunately I have no idea what this guy is really good at. Next season is going to be huge for him because fans/media will be on his case every week

zaafi

This is turning out to be a shocking signing so far. For 80 million you want a readymade answer and unfortunately I have no idea what this guy is really good at. Next season is going to be huge for him because fans/media will be on his case every week
A player can't automatically adapt quicker to a new team, culture and league because Ajax demanded a specific fee for him. Look at our win rate with him in the team.

footballbite

A player can't automatically adapt quicker to a new team, culture and league because Ajax demanded a specific fee for him. Look at our win rate with him in the team.
That's more because Utd currently have no other options for the right-wing when he's not available, as opposed to him actually being any better than merely adequate.

He got properly shown up by Garnacho today as to what a winger should be bringing to the team.

El Jefe

A whole bunch of posters get defensive when he is criticised but Antony is toothless, it's the unbiased truth. He might work hard and keep the ball but we never look threatening with him on the pitch.

We've looked at our best this season with Bruno on the right and Weghorst in behind Rashford.

Most of what he does just seems pointless to me. He doesn't create chances and his scoring outside of his early purple patch is too infrequent. Its actually painfully poor how he's only had one assist this season, against Reading at that. I struggle to remember a single decent cross he's provided this season whether aerial or on the ground.

Garnacho is miles better and he's still raw as feck.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I can see why ETH wanted him, but I wonder if in retrospective he would've still chased Antony. And I'm not even taking the fee under consideration, just what he offers.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
A whole bunch of posters get defensive when he is criticised but Antony is toothless, it's the unbiased truth. He might work hard and keep the ball but we never look threatening with him on the pitch.

We've looked at our best this season with Bruno on the right and Weghorst in behind Rashford.

Most of what he does just seems pointless to me. He doesn't create chances and his scoring outside of his early purple patch is too infrequent. Its actually painfully poor how he's only had one assist this season, against Reading at that. I struggle to remember a single decent cross he's provided this season whether aerial or on the ground.

Garnacho is miles better and he's still raw as feck.

Yeah you watch Garnacho and you think that with a bit of physical development in 2 years he could be very good. Antony has played 20 games and I struggle to remember moments where I saw a special player

lsd

The Oracle
Poor tonight he is not the player you want on the pitch when you are resting your other first choices

Superunknown

It seems to be the case that whoever we play in the wide positions in the first half is a bit shit. And they're totally different players when they come on as subs.

Abraxas

At the moment he looks more like a possession player than somebody ready to contribute in a dynamic, fast style of football. He's very tidy with a good touch, but ask him to beat someone, or find a deadly pass, or exploit counters and it is very rarely there. He's just not that explosive as a player but technically he's good. Not sure what to make of that so far, it's the PL after all.

Idxomer

I'm starting to think at this point that we're only better with him in the team because we basically have no alternatives on the right.

tomaldinho1

Some of you guys are genuinely odd. Best form the club's been in since I can remember, just won a cup, just scored winner vs Barca and very evident Antony is an important cog in the ETH machine and you're writing drivel such as the above.

Main criticism of him today was he needs to develop a cross for when he cuts inside, I don't mind longer range efforts (our squad is actually really wasteful across the board here) but you can't be wasting good positions as regularly as he does. He's young and his decision making needs a lot of work but I think we should be very happy so far with how he fits into the team.

redshaw

He has some great ability but still finding his way in when to apply it and also perhaps a little narrow in physicality right now. At Ajax I saw a player that was just about holding people off and getting caught up, I suspected he would find it harder. He'll need more link up play.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Some of you guys are genuinely odd. Best form the club's been in since I can remember, just won a cup, just scored winner vs Barca and very evident Antony is an important cog in the ETH machine and you're writing drivel such as the above.

Main criticism of him today was he needs to develop a cross for when he cuts inside, I don't mind longer range efforts (our squad is actually really wasteful across the board here) but you can't be wasting good positions as regularly as he does. He's young and his decision making needs a lot of work but I think we should be very happy so far with how he fits into the team.
Well I think what you have written is what I consider drivel. This is a thread to discuss his performances and so I can’t just ignore that just because the team is winning. He was signed for 80 million and as much as we want to say that it’s not his fault but from a club point of view you expect a certain level of output from him. Amongst the starters today he was the costliest attacker we have but yet he was the one taken off with us needing a goal. A winger playing 20 plus games and managing 1 assist is abysmal irrespective of how you want to look into it

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Does he have a through ball or great cross in his locker? Haven't seen that many other than one in an fa cup game vs championship side Reading.

He gets the benefit of the doubt in season 1 but I want to see a massive improvement next year. This what we are seeing isn't good enough. Thankfully other players are turning up and masking his average performances.

PSV

I'm starting to think at this point that we're only better with him in the team because we basically have no alternatives on the right.
Should just try Sabitzer there. It's been a couple years, but his last half season of playing winger before being converted was better than any of Antony's full seasons.

I hope we at least try it out before the end of season, especially once Eriksen gets back.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
1 single assist all season, against Reading in the FA Cup.

Also, by far the worst "trickster" I have ever seen in football.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

I really don't know how he gets from here to being an effective winger, but the bolder part looks like the big quick win. He gets into good position but almost never does anything with it. The way he cuts inside creates a lot of openings, if he can see them he can be much more dangerous. But I don't think he had good awareness at all.
Overall he wasn't that bad. The problem is he is no threat. It's actually amazing a team of him and Wout score so many goals.

Does he have a through ball or great cross in his locker? Haven't seen that many other than one in an fa cup game vs championship side Reading.

He gets the benefit of the doubt in season 1 but I want to see a massive improvement next year. This what we are seeing isn't good enough. Thankfully other players are turning up and masking his average performances.
His shots are really good crosses if executed the same way from longer distance. There's potential. I don't think he sees it though (the passing option).

dove

It’s a player performance thread if you didn’t notice. Developing a cross is the lowest priority for him now, he has so many other fundamental flaws in his game to work on… to me he is a genuine YouTube highlights player, must look amazing in compilations.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I think he is doing fine, be careful not to buy into this media narrative that seem determined to have a go at him. Poor players don't hit the goals he has so far this season. Also I can see how ETh likes him as he really puts in the work and covers the full back. Room to improve, sure and playing his part, certainly.

tomaldinho1

Well I think what you have written is what I consider drivel. This is a thread to discuss his performances and so I can’t just ignore that just because the team is winning. He was signed for 80 million and as much as we want to say that it’s not his fault but from a club point of view you expect a certain level of output from him. Amongst the starters today he was the costliest attacker we have but yet he was the one taken off with us needing a goal. A winger playing 20 plus games and managing 1 assist is abysmal irrespective of how you want to look into it
He's on 7 goal contributions (6G,1A) in 25 games - if that was all he was in the team for I'd agree but it's very clear he offers a huge amount off the ball and defensively. If ETH wants to have someone like Rashford on the LW, he needs more of a grafter on the RW to balance it out and, unless we can sign someone who is genuinely world class, I don't think there's many better options. This isn;t me saying he had a great game, it's saying you're weird for making such a sweeping statement as he's a 'shocking signing'.

I really don't know how he gets from here to being an effective winger, but the bolder part looks like the big quick win. He gets into good position but almost never does anything with it. The way he cuts inside creates a lot of openings, if he can see them he can be much more dangerous. But I don't think he had good awareness at all.
Overall he wasn't that bad. The problem is he is no threat. It's actually amazing a team of him and Wout score so many goals.
Yes exactly, he needs to work on that - you can see he's got a great left foot and he loves the Robben-esque cut in to shoot but that's probably why he's got so few assists, he's a bit greedy. Like Rashford or Greenwood in previous seasons where they'd just try to force everything.

It’s a player performance thread if you didn’t notice. Developing a cross is the lowest priority for him now, he has so many other fundamental flaws in his game to work on… to me he is a genuine YouTube highlights player, must look amazing in compilations.
What are the 'fundamental flaws'

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeh it's been a real nightmare having him as a first choice starter in this disaster season.

Welbeckham

Incredibly frustrating player. Hardly does anything productive ever apart from scoring once every two months. Lacks a burst of pace, doesn’t take on opponents, is not a good passer or crosser or particularly dangerous shooter. Dan Burn is the only LB that he has even slightly managed to annoy and that’s mostly due to their ridiculous height difference.

The best thing about him is the defensive aggressiveness. We could do with a better RW, but he’s obviously the best option right now. Would’ve liked to see more of Pellistri in some cup games.

TheReligion

Abusive
Scored the winner v Barca last week :lol:

Malone_Post

That’s exactly why we look better with him in the team. He’s the only naturaly inverted right winger we have in the the squad.

Scores the odd worldie, keeps his width and works hard. If that’s enough for some people then fair enough, I suspect though a lot of people are trying to convince themselves that they’re impressed rather then actually being impressed

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
That’s exactly why we look better with him in the team. He’s the only naturaly inverted right winger we have in the the squad.

Scores the odd worldie, keeps his width and works hard. If that’s enough for some people then fair enough, I suspect though a lot of people are trying to convince themselves that they’re impressed rather then actually being impressed
Well no, you've highlighted exactly why it's worth sticking with him.

dove

What are the 'fundamental flaws'
One of them would be that he quite literally has 1 foot and even that one is not great. He also cannot beat a defender to save his life and he only looks quick because of his funny running style. Cannot cross a ball. Passing is very hit and miss. Some of those can be improved but let’s not try to hide the fact that he is undoubtedly a contender for the worst transfer of the season.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

I think that is true. Seems like a difference in opinion amongst people about expectations honestly. Maybe I expected a lot more than this but I will be honest I hadn’t seen him play before

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's got a lot to work on. When he's bad he's very bad.

These big near-record fee transfers just aren't for us.

rooney2009

I like him and he is definitely a team player
Prefer him on the right wing to Sancho all day long
Love his fighting spirit as well

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Well no, you've highlighted exactly why it's worth sticking with him.
I don’t think that anyone has suggested that United shouldn’t stick with him. ETH clearly likes him and so he will get a lot of time but he is offering nowhere near what you would want from a starting attacker for United

Telsim

I remain to be convinced he is starter material for any club fighting for top honours. Tenacious defender, right mentality, but just far, far too limited going forward. You need more at this level. Not good enough.

Barthez

I like him.it wasn’t so long ago people on here were aching for him to return from injury

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I don't understand how he gets so little power into his shots when he gets to come in with speed and strike it with his preferred foot, I get that he always goes for the curl but it still has to have proper pace on it for it to have a chance from outside the area.

He does really well to get into those shooting areas, better than any of our attackers bar Rashford but he definitely needs to work on it a whole lot more because it far too often just ends up with what looks like the ball being passed to the keeper/out for a goal kick.

tomaldinho1

One of them would be that he quite literally has 1 foot and even that one is not great. He also cannot beat a defender to save his life and he only looks quick because of his funny running style. Cannot cross a ball. Passing is very hit and miss. Some of those can be improved but let’s not try to hide the fact that he is undoubtedly a contender for the worst transfer of the season.
There's no need to make things up, he's got a great left foot. Obviously he is one footed but that's hardly uncommon. Crossing I agree on, passing I think is fine, beating a man is where he kind of falls into the Sancho category as I don't think it's in his game. He creates a lot of space for players and his ball retention is very good + defensively he's excellent.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not for me. He has a lot to work on.

hmchan

He just doesn't have the physicality to take on and get past opponents. He loses all his balance cutting in and hence his shots are either weak or well wide because of his wrong body shape. If you just want a defensive winger, there are many cheaper yet more effective options.

Status
Not open for further replies.